ADVERTISEMENT

A More Aggressive Mahmoud

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
I like what I'm seeing from Mahmoud these last couple of games. He seems to have taken Pitino's words to heart and has been playing more aggressive. He is definitely going up stronger than before to grab those rebounds. I didn't think Anas would catch that nice alley oop from Mitchell tonight but he went over one or two guys in traffic and snagged it for the slam.

He is playing a bit less timid and not "floating around" as much when he is playing. I'm sure a part of that, as mentioned by the commentators, is him hitting the weight room and getting stronger. Though we all know he has a ways to go there he has made some gains. The other part is mentally getting tougher. Still, its a good sign to see him to play with some more fire.

I like what I'm seeing from Mahmoud these last couple of games. He seems to have taken Pitino's words to heart and has been playing more aggressive. He is definitely going up stronger than before to grab those rebounds. I didn't think Anas would catch that nice alley oop from Mitchell tonight but he went over one or two guys in traffic and snagged it for the slam.

He is playing a bit less timid and not "floating around" as much when he is playing. I'm sure a part of that, as mentioned by the commentators, is him hitting the weight room and getting stronger. Though we all know he has a ways to go there he has made some gains. The other part is mentally getting tougher. Still, its a good sign to see him to play with some more fire.
Yes Anas is coming along just fine. I like Matz the way he wants the ball and then attacks the goal he's going to be huge for us down the road.

I see a twin towers roster in the future for this team. Probably not this year but it's going to happen. Anas has the ball handling skills and passing ability to play outside and Matz is turning into a beast on the block.

The future of this basketball program is very bright.

Mahmoud played a good game and seems to be getting better every game. I like his aggressiveness last night he really held his own. I think we are going too need for him to keep improving this season for us to have a deep run. I also thought Levitch played good while he was in the game in a crucial period.

I kept waiting, and waiting for Matz to get into the game. One of the broadcasters made the comment that Mango being out injured has been a blessing for this Cards team.

Well, it certainly has been for Matz. He is only going to get better and better from here on out. And he does have that height thingy going for him.

Go Cards!

I think these guys are getting better because they are starting to see more playing time so now it's not IF I get in, it is I need to make the most I can WHEN I get in. Certainly mangos injury has been one reason for this and now it seems he won't be back until February.

Go Cards!

Subtle thing we saw last night - Mahmoud playing alongside Onuaku at times. This allowed Onuaku to handle the other team's toughest big, which let Mahmoud freelance a little more from the PF position. I think Mahmoud's skill set and body type screams 4, always has been. Keep an eye on this in future games Rick might go back to the Onuaku/Mahmoud combination.

It helps to have a HOF coach who improves your players abilities with his coaching. Can't wait to see your team against North Carolina, I'll be pulling for the Cards (metro).

He has shown a great deal of improvement in confidence that he did not have when we played MSU. That fast break catch and slam was fantastic (as was the pass to him).

Reactions: Mayoman
The depth continues to improve with the frontcourt.If we can get anything from Adel and Mango,it'll be needed.There will be games late this season where Onuaku won't get a lot of minutes.

Reactions: shadow force
The depth continues to improve with the frontcourt.If we can get anything from Adel and Mango,it'll be needed.There will be games late this season where Onuaku won't get a lot of minutes.

Agreed. If Mangok can get back into game shape and contribute like he was earlier in the season it would be a huge boost. Adel too because there will be more games where Lee is having an off night or in foul trouble. Having Adel as a quality back up SF would be huge later in the season, especially the NCAAT.

Adel would help keep legs fresh and off the bench energy for defense when needed so I hope he can continue to get up to speed.

If the Cards get 8 points and 8 rebounds out of the combo of Adel and Mango down the stretch and in the tourney we are going to be a handful! I really like this team and our depth is the best it's been in years.

Reactions: Deeva and Mayoman
Again, playing alongside Nanu allows Egypt to roam free and find space on the offensive end.

More importantly he doesn't have to grind with the other team's biggest guy on either end, but especially the defensive end.

Reactions: shadow force
Subtle thing we saw last night - Mahmoud playing alongside Onuaku at times. This allowed Onuaku to handle the other team's toughest big, which let Mahmoud freelance a little more from the PF position. I think Mahmoud's skill set and body type screams 4, always has been. Keep an eye on this in future games Rick might go back to the Onuaku/Mahmoud combination.
Great observation. Anas clearly took advantage of the situation and probably gained some much needed confidence.

That guy Gregory is a good coach who has given us fits in the past. Tech is a handful.

Reactions: Cue Card
I just mentioned that I think Anas has earned the chance to start ahead of JJ.
The color announcer hit the nail on the head when he said that JJ is "not a strong finisher." The kid has a ways to go and should help us down the road as he is a four year player.

The color announcer hit the nail on the head when he said that JJ is "not a strong finisher." The kid has a ways to go and should help us down the road as he is a four year player.

He needs to hit the weights. He has nice coordination but I agree 100% with you he's got a ways to go.

Great observation. Anas clearly took advantage of the situation and probably gained some much needed confidence.

That guy Gregory is a good coach who has given us fits in the past. Tech is a handful.

I agree, they are just a tough team. Timing is also important in these games. We catch them when they are absolutely desperate, and we came in off the heels of a blow out. They brought the intensity in the 1st half, we responded in the 2nd.

Anas has made "significant" strides toward a good b-ball player for his height. He undoubtedly this game' s MVP and I hopes he keeps this up - - man keep mathiang out a little longer...smile.

This is one of the great things about watching college basketball.

You watch a guy get in games here and there and not do too much. Then one day it's like a light comes on and they start developing into an impact player. I hope that's what we're witnessing here over the past few games.

I'm sure he still has a lot of work to do physically to become the best player he can be, but we are seeing flashes of what's to come and it's pretty exciting to think where he may be in another 2 years!

Hopefully he can build on this, but its just one game. Not sold yet as he often looks bad or soft at times. He doesn't play defense with his body. He lets guys go around him and assumes he can block or contest their shots from the side or behind. Pitino say he is a player and he showed he can be today and in a few other games.

He is a four until he can add 30 pounds which may never happen. I agree he is much better defensively when he has to guard the smaller PF. He can't handle any 5 with bulk that has good low post moves. They move him where they want too. Most college PF aren't really gifted with their post moves and don't have the bulk to move him around.

I think this offense is going to start running everything through the post. I think with Nanu and Anas passing isn't an issue. It will make it tough to double team those guys.

What is really great about this is when Mango comes back they will have a solid rotation at both the 4 and 5. The only question is who will be the other 4, Spalding or Johnson. It will probably be situational.

NorthCard is right. When the game is on the line, you'll see the players Pitino trusts the most on the floor, so it really doesn't matter who starts. If it ain't broke, no need to fix it.

Reactions: pervisl
This post reminds of a comment Pitino made early in the year before the season started. He mentioned then when NBA scouts come in, and watch patch they are always raving about Anas Mamound. Rick said the commented on his athlectic ability, getting up and down the floor, and is ability to dribble, pass the basketball at his size. I thought at the time this was just Coach Speak, but Pitino must have been telling us exactly the feedback he was getting from the Scouts. Rick also mentioned that they told him it Anas picked up his intensity, and gained strength he would be playing in the League. You ware witnessing before your eyes exactly what the scouts were saying. I can see him developing into a player, who if he continues on this path , could easily play his way into the NBA at the end of next season. He is still a year away, and it's going to be fun to watch him develop. Go Cards!!

I think he's a 4 regardless.I love the thought of the offense going thru him.Now,when the other guys move without the ball,there's gonna be a lot of bunnies to be had.

Mahmoud's post game has really come along. I wasn't even aware he had those moves in his repertoire. Now, I did notice how he is still too easily shoved aside by the opposing bigs as that one player on GT had his way with Anas. So, yeah I agree that he does better on defense guarding the opposing PF instead of C. The tandem of Nanu and Anas has worked out great a few times this season. Nanu has the beef and skill to guard the biggest opposing front court player freeing Anas from that duty and more room for him in the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT