ADVERTISEMENT

A good read

KozmasAgain

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 23, 2016
I found this article on the Girls Hoops and thought I would post it for others to read.

Hailey Van Lith, Louisville

The Cardinals graduated 3 starters from last year’s roster and added 8 new players, so having the returning players step up was critical, Van Lith has done a tremendous job. The 5-flot-7 guard leads the team in points averaging 20.5 per game (up from 14.4 last season), and she has increased her field goal percentage 43.2% to 44.6%, rebounds (3.6 to 5.4), aNd assists (2.2 to 3.4) per game. In a recent game against Georgia Tech, Van Lith played 38 minutes, scored 24 points and pulled down 4 rebounds And had 4 assist.

For Van Lith, developing a more veteran mentality, which includes being more patient yet persistent, has been an important piece to her success, especially when the Cards face adversity. During a press conference earlier in the season, Van Lith exuded this kind of maturity when asked how she was approaching a tough stretch of losses.

”It’s not the end of the world,” Van Lith said. “ This is game 10 in a very long season. Our main focus in practices has been an environment of positivity and keeping people’s hopes up”. In addition to becoming more patient, Van Lith has also developed a greater appreciation for simply being able to play the game, which she expressed when asked about her recent milestone 1,000 points.

” I just felt gratitude for being here”. Van Lith said “ People get hurt everyday. People get their opportunities taken from them. And I get to be here, and I get to play. Every day. I get to play my hardest. I get to play with these girls. I get to play in front of these fans. It was a great moment for me just to be very grateful.”

Overall putting in a lot of work during the off-season and prioritizing their mindset and mental health has helped these juniors step up their game, and that’s a credit to them and their coaching staffs.

Sorry but I think I missed part of the article but it is still a good read.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT