ADVERTISEMENT

5 Areas Of Concern

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
1) Coaching:

Kenny Payne has done well bringing in a Top 5 class this off season. There are many interchangeable and versatile players and lineups he can utilize. He has shored up the point guard position with Johnson and shouldn't have any problem pulling guys to the bench if they won't hustle and play hard.

But Payne's 4 win debut season looms large over everything else. Was it a fluke or can he muster a bunch more wins with better and different talent? Many questioned what they were seeing on the court throughout last season, and wondered exactly what Payne's offensive and defensive philosophy actually was. Why did everyone seem to lack basic fundamentals? Payne's coaching will remain in question until he proves otherwise.

2) Youth/Inexperience:

This is a very young team overall, bringing in 5 freshmen with only two junior upperclassmen. Skyy Clark, Okorafor, and Danilo are all sophs but they either played very little last year or didn't play an entire freshman season. Mike James and Tre White are sophs but will have to carry a pretty big load for this team.

Payne either didn't want any grad transfers, or couldn't get any and that type of experience could've helped a lot on a young squad like this. This team could still succeed, but history and stats indicate you need a mixture of quality upperclassman to help out the young guys, especially if they are not all elite talent themselves.

3) Turnovers:

Louisville was one of the worst TO teams in the country last year. We all lamented the passes to no one and nowhere, bouncing balls off feet and knees and other careless plays that lead to countless and costly turnovers.

Even though Payne has brought in more guards for this season, TO's are still a very real concern. Clark, Davis, James, and White- who are all expected to have some ball handling and/or play making duties- all have bad assist to turnover ratios. Can they shore those deficiencies up and cut down on turnovers this season? That remains to be seen but is vitally important.

4) 3 Point Shooting/Sharpshooters:

This team lacks some proven and consistent 3 point shooters. The lack of a sharpshooter could end up haunting this team if no one can knock in some threes when we really need it.

Unfortunately Clark, White, Johnson, Davis, and James are bad to okay three point shooters. Could be cause for concern as the season goes on.

5) Front Court Production and Post Play:

Many times last season the Cards would get nothing from the front court, especially the 5, in terms of scoring, rim protection, and rebounding. Okorafor, Danilo, and Evans are seemingly projects though the potential is there, especially for Evans.

Can BHH, who was very inconsistent, and Traynor, who was showing flashes toward the end of last season, take a step up and help out more? Can we get some rim protection, consistent scoring, and better rebounding from our bigs? Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Marked improvement in all areas will suffice as this young group tries to gain an identity.
That includes coaching,leadership and team morale.
They could be really good down the road a bit.

Reactions: shadow force
1) Coaching:

Kenny Payne has done well bringing in a Top 5 class this off season. There are many interchangeable and versatile players and lineups he can utilize. He has shored up the point guard position with Johnson and shouldn't have any problem pulling guys to the bench if they won't hustle and play hard.

But Payne's 4 win debut season looms large over everything else. Was it a fluke or can he muster a bunch more wins with better and different talent? Many questioned what they were seeing on the court throughout last season, and wondered exactly what Payne's offensive and defensive philosophy actually was. Why did everyone seem to lack basic fundamentals? Payne's coaching will remain in question until he proves otherwise.

2) Youth/Inexperience:

This is a very young team overall, bringing in 5 freshmen with only two junior upperclassmen. Skyy Clark, Okorafor, and Danilo are all sophs but they either played very little last year or didn't play an entire freshman season. Mike James and Tre White are sophs but will have to carry a pretty big load for this team.

Payne either didn't want any grad transfers, or couldn't get any and that type of experience could've helped a lot on a young squad like this. This team could still succeed, but history and stats indicate you need a mixture of quality upperclassman to help out the young guys, especially if they are not all elite talent themselves.

3) Turnovers:

Louisville was one of the worst TO teams in the country last year. We all lamented the passes to no one and nowhere, bouncing balls off feet and knees and other careless plays that lead to countless and costly turnovers.

Even though Payne has brought in more guards for this season, TO's are still a very real concern. Clark, Davis, James, and White- who are all expected to have some ball handling and/or play making duties- all have bad assist to turnover ratios. Can they shore those deficiencies up and cut down on turnovers this season? That remains to be seen but is vitally important.

This team lacks some proven and consistent 3 point shooters. The lack of a sharpshooter could end up haunting this team if no one can knock in some threes when we really need it.

Unfortunately Clark, White, Johnson, Davis, and James are bad to okay three point shooters. Could be cause for concern as the season goes on.

Many times last season the Cards would get nothing from the front court, especially the 5, in terms of scoring, rim protection, and rebounding. Okorafor, Danilo, and Evans are seemingly projects though the potential is there, especially for Evans.

Can BHH, who was very inconsistent, and Traynor, who was showing flashes toward the end of last season, take a step up and help out more? Can we get some rim protection, consistent scoring, and better rebounding from our bigs? Only time will tell.
All valid concerns. That’s why this team leaves many skeptics among us. Coaching is my #1 concern. I would also put defense on this list. We sucked defensively last year.

Reactions: shadow force
All valid concerns. That’s why this team leaves many skeptics among us. Coaching is my #1 concern. I would also put defense on this list. We sucked defensively last year.
Great point. Team defense has to be drastically improved for this team to succeed. If the defense looks like Swiss cheese again, it'll be another long season.

Nolan mentioned on a podcast recently that they’re going to make sure the team is playing a lot of pickup this summer in order to develop chemistry. This group has a lot of potential, but everyone is going to need to stick to what they do best

6) Long term viability of the men's basketball program.

There's been so much damage, I don't know how long it would take a successful coach to turn it around.

Reactions: Tenncard
6) Long term viability of the men's basketball program.

There's been so much damage, I don't know how long it would take a successful coach to turn it around.

Chuck Smrt should never have a job in this area ever again. Granted, Jurich hired the guy as a consultant since he was supposedly a subject matter expert, but his advice for this "cure" was proven to be way, WAY worse than the illness was. Honestly, I think an argument can be made for negligence and sue the guy. The AD should have done what the other programs did - circle the wagons, keep the coach, and tell everyone to f-off. We'd have at minimum one more Final Four (the Damian Lee team).

Reactions: OldhamCard335
If I see the team come out flat, with no energy, no hustle, and no effort again then I'll be really angry. That will speak volumes about Payne and this staff if that happens.
^^^^This^^^^. It’s all on coaching now. They did a great job of rebuilding the roster, can’t deny that and I give them tons of love for what they did. That said, they have clearly placed the onus directly on their own shoulders. Team doesn’t perform….it’s on them. No more excuses!

Chuck Smrt should never have a job in this area ever again. Granted, Jurich hired the guy as a consultant since he was supposedly a subject matter expert, but his advice for this "cure" was proven to be way, WAY worse than the illness was. Honestly, I think an argument can be made for negligence and sue the guy. The AD should have done what the other programs did - circle the wagons, keep the coach, and tell everyone to f-off. We'd have at minimum one more Final Four (the Damian Lee team).
We also had a President (Ramsey) at the time who tried to look too presidential. I heard "my decision" one too many times during that fateful presser. Jurich's boss should have never made athletic department decisions.

I was no fan of Chuck Smrt, but he provided U of L the cover it needed as far as the integrity of its own investigation. Where Ramsey made a huge mistake is letting Smrt make the decision.

I can’t attach the screenshot but there’s some Twitter buzz about Ellis re-entering the portal. Thought I would share that. I would love him back, but to be honest, I like our roster right now.

I can’t attach the screenshot but there’s some Twitter buzz about Ellis re-entering the portal. Thought I would share that. I would love him back, but to be honest, I like our roster right now.
Just announced that Ellis will return to college and play for Arkansas.

Reactions: J_Lewis0117
Gotcha. I know he had that NIL deal in place with them so was a little confused as to him leaving that situation
The confusion is understandable. Ellis was going through the NBA Draft process, while maintaining his eligibility, but withdrew his name today. There was some uncertainty if he would actually play for Arkansas or go pro.

Reactions: J_Lewis0117
1) Coaching:

2) Youth/Inexperience:

3) Turnovers:

Very valid points; however, these are ALWAYS major concerns. And always will be. We will just have to wait and see if CKP can actually coach these guys to their ability. I remain hopeful but not totally convinced. Maybe others here can bring me to my senses.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
I’m not sure if the coaching staff will do this, but the thought of James playing the stretch four type has me very excited. I have been hoping for another one of those since Nwora, and I think he could be exactly that with better defense and a bit more athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT