ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Individual Sports Budgets...

the artist FKA zipp

4500+
Gold Member
May 29, 2022
This thread covers the 2024 budgets for the major individual sports at U of L. In my opinion, it shows where U of L is putting its emphasis as a department.

A nonprofit spends everything it brings in by definition. Its success is measured by growth and accomplishments. It doesn't control spending to be successful but rather to continue to operate.

I'll start the thread by posting the summary narrative that U of L published with the actual numbers. And I'll follow with my own condensed analysis of the sports budgets...

"The University of Louisville Athletic Association (ULAA) is pleased to present the following operating budget for the 2023‐2024 fiscal year. An internal working group of Senior staff provided the framework for this budget, meeting weekly during the budget process. The group was tasked with reviewing expenditure requests, propose and review cost saving measures, and discuss new ideas for revenue generation.

Unlike the prior two fiscal years, the target‐driven approach was replaced with a zero‐based budget approach providing management with the actual cost to operate the department post COVID. Total requests exceeded projected revenue by over $10 million. With fixed costs and debt obligations funded from operating rising significantly, the amount available for requests was minimal. As a result, most of the operating budgets are reverting back to 2022‐23 funding levels.

Revenues

Operating revenues are projected to increase $9.3 million to a record $124.1 million, $9.1 million of this increase is in the football program where ticket sales have been strong since the announcement of Jeff Brohm as the Head Coach. Ticket revenue is also bolstered by a favorable schedule featuring an additional home game (7 vs 6), a home schedule that includes Notre Dame and Kentucky, and a neutral site game in Indianapolis against Indiana. In addition to ticket sales, concessions, parking, and suite revenue are also projected to increase with a surge in attendance.

L&N Stadium continues to generate revenue for the Department. For 2023‐24, revenues are projected to increase $1.9 million over the 2022‐23 budget. Over $700,000 of this increase is related to the Beyonce concert scheduled for July. Parking revenue continues to grow and is projected to increase $142,000 over the current year. Revenues from club rentals are estimated to increase over $200,000 due to the demand for premium spaces.

Sport operating revenues are projected to increase slightly over the 2022‐23 operating budget. Men’s Basketball revenues are projected to decrease slightly by $315,800. This decrease is offset by increases in Women’s Basketball ($376,800 increase), Baseball ($54,000) and Volleyball ($112,000). Volleyball revenues are projected to increase due to high demand and moving 3 high profile games to the KFC Yum Center.

Staff continue to explore new revenue generation ideas and continue to build on those recently implemented. New premium spaces at both football and basketball are in process and will be rolled out prior to the seasons. The Season Ticket Member program, launched in 2022‐23, was very successful and
staff are making plans to grow this program. The split the pot or 50/50 in game contests is now fully operational and ready for growth in the upcoming fiscal year. Staff are also working on enhanced advertising for the new Angel’s Envy Club and The Alley to generate rental income. Investments made last year in concessions at L&N stadium should see a boost in return on investment with projected increased attendance at football.

Expenses

Overall, expenses for Fiscal Year 2023‐24 are increasing $9.3M on top of the $7.1M increase in fiscal year 2022‐23. While in 2022‐23 we invested over $2 million in NIL, mental health and the new season ticket member program, the proposed 2023‐24 budget addresses increased fixed costs, debt service and
compensation.

The largest increase in the 2023‐24 operating budget are salaries and benefits. This category is increasing $3.6 million with $1.2 million of the increase in benefits. While much of the increase in benefits is related to an increase in salaries, approximately $300,000 is attributed to insurance rates increasing $1,000 annually per person.

Approximately $2 million of the salary increase is related to the new football staff hired during the year. An estimated $400,000 was included for a 2% cost of living increase for staff and another $200,000 was included to support University salaries in Human Resources and University Counsel.

Debt service funded from operations is increasing $2.3 million for Fiscal Year 2023‐24. While the total annual amount owed toward principle (sic) and interest on debt has increased slightly due to the recent line of credit, the portion funded from the operating budget continues to increase. This is due to the expiration of several long‐term pledges and writing‐off delinquent past due amounts. For Fiscal Year 2023‐24, the debt service line increases from $6.8 million to $9.1M representing 77% of our total annual debt payment (up from 60% in 2022‐23). This percentage will continue to increase in future years.

Inflationary pressures continue to impact operations throughout the department but have been more detrimental to facilities. Unanticipated expenses for increased labor and materials costs are impacting Fiscal Year 2022‐23 and are being increased over $1.3 million for 2023‐24. These include:

• $536,000 increase in security expenses at L&N Stadium and other athletic venues which includes $119,000 for magnetometer rental for football games.
  • $250,000 increase in Physical Plant charges related to utilities and costs being allocated to Athletics by the University.
  • $344,000 increase for year two of a three‐year phase‐in of the $1.1 million Microsoft/ERP University fee.
In addition to these cost increases, facilities budgets also increased $225,000 for the all‐inclusive offerings in the new premium seating at L&N Stadium, and $700,000 for costs associated with the Beyonce concert and cost to replace the turf at L&N Stadium.

The Athletic Department investment in student athletes continues to grow with a $1.3 million increase in financial aid. In addition to a 2% increase in tuition, an additional $100,000 was added to the summer School budget bringing the total to $1 million. A new item impacting the 2022‐23 budget was the Alston vs NCAA supreme court case. This ruling allowed schools to award an additional $5,980 per student for education related compensation. Established as the Red & Black Scholars in 2022‐23, $650,000 was allocated amongst the sports based on their equivalency. Students earned the award in the fall and were paid the following semester in the spring. The 2023‐24 budget provides an additional $1.1 million to fully fund the program at $1.7 million‐ allowing the two payments during the academic year."

Last edited:
Reactions: glassmanJ
Here are the 2024 increases for each sport and the overall athletics budget...

2024-sports-budgets.jpg
Outside of women's basketball, these are significant increases and likely to meet or exceed inflation the next 12 months.

Looking at it as an investment, this is a positive development and an improvement over recent years where increases have lagged inflation. Of course, you have to start generating adequate revenues to cover expenses or you're simply digging a deeper financial hole.

I'll post a longer term analysis of our sports budgets next...

Here's an updated look at where the sports budgets have been and are headed. 2018 is when the new regime took over at U of L. And it will continue to be my reference point until before and after comparisons become indistinguishable...

LT-sports-budgets-2024.jpg

CPI is annualized for the periods shown but is actually lagged by one year since it's historical and budgets are forward looking. Over a longer period like the last column, the lag "error" isn't significant, the same value IOW (2.5) as for 2011-23.

What the numbers in this table continue to show is we have recently trailed inflation for the revenue sports which isn't good. The baseball number is noteworthy in light of financial issues in the press for that particular sport the last couple months.

2012 was selected as a starting point simply to make the pre-2018 period the same number of years. If you look at the entire span since 2012, our programs have been funded in positive real terms (outpacing inflation), but that's because we were so far ahead of the game when the new regime took over. The current budget will attempt to correct that trend down...

Men's basketball is an obvious outlier on just about all of these tables and graphs I've produced--now good in 2024 but terrible before...

So we've got a more aggressive plan to fund athletics in 2024 across the board. But is that appropriate? For one thing, we're way down on our reserves, no money in the bank or the Foundation even if we start balancing a budget.

Another is why is spending going up so much OUTSIDE OF sports? And what can/should be done about it? Here's what I'm talking about...

2024-Oheads-Budget.jpg

Sorry a few more numbers here... The top of the table shows the major individual sports broken out from the Olympic sports and the amount of money spent on each. The 2nd-to-last row (above CPI) is the department overall, and the rows above that for indirect expenses.

Direct and indirect expenses are close to 50/50, but indirect is creeping higher as a percentage of total expenses. Since 2018, indirect expenses have increased by 28% vs 11% for sports. This even went on under the prior regime, but it's now accelerating.

Obviously, the situations are completely different. We're losing money now and can ill afford expenses that are not worthwhile. And I'm not seeing an obvious attempt to start diverting money away from overheads and to sports. I'm sure an athletics department is somewhat of a bloated bureaucracy, but the "bloat" needs to be corralled until budgets routinely start balancing...

Last edited:
Direct and indirect expenses are close to 50/50, but indirect is creeping higher as a percentage of total expenses. Since 2018, indirect expenses have increased by 28% vs 11% for sports. This even went on under the prior regime, but it's now accelerating.

Obviously, the situations are completely different. We're losing money now and can ill afford expenses that are not worthwhile. And I'm not seeing an obvious attempt to start diverting money away from overheads and to sports. I'm sure an athletics department is somewhat of a bloated bureaucracy, but the "bloat" needs to be corralled until budgets routinely start balancing...
i think this part of the situation is unavoidable and in line with the job market/business expenses as whole going on everywhere due to changing of economics after pandemic. prices everywhere for everything has gone up and salaries have gone thru the roof for many people as a way to keep them in the company instead fo them leaving for more money to go somewhere else. too many people left the workforce and job salaries went thru the roof. my wife is a tech in the hospital and Norton's has had to give several raises to keep up with competing hospital pay. They've had unfilled job opening for a couple fo years as doesn't matter hwo much they offer to pay, no one to fill. so i think really no way to keep overhead costs down, they are now simply a bigger part of the equation.

Reactions: Smithereen
If anyone wants to comment, I’d like to know who works for—or knows about—a business where HALF of your costs are indirect or considered overheads. That percentage (>50) appears to be extreme with the ULAA. And growing…

If anyone wants to comment, I’d like to know who works for—or knows about—a business where HALF of your costs are indirect or considered overheads. That percentage (>50) appears to be extreme with the ULAA. And growing…
again, you are dealing with post pandemic readjustment, doesn't mean it's lasting but every business is redoing their math. for sake of comparisons, no data pre-pandemic should be considered as that time no longer exists. that was a different world of economics as no person or business in the world has ever had to deal with that kind of global adversity. and as always zipp, you can make numbers say whatever you want.

perfect example are my retirement savings in stocks. if you look at my account balances from last september to this july, i am down about 10%-15%. but if you look at my balances from last july 4th until this july 4th i am up 5%-10%. same numbers just a simple two month difference basis point means you can make numbers say anything you want. are my stocks losing or are they winning? it's all relative. maybe 50/50 is the new normal as the old normal doesn't exist.

Not one type of business post pandemic that is operating at pre pandemic numbers.Go to any restaurant your serving size and quality of the food is nowhere near prior to covid. However the cost is way up . I had to buy a simple bulb for my car before covid I got that same bulb for 3.00 it cost me 10.00 now.

Reactions: Smithereen
Well, costs are up in many places. It’s not just indirect costs. And I’m going back a lot farther than Covid to draw conclusions.

There’s really no financially significant trend in U of L athletics I can identify that started in the Covid year (2020) and has continued unabated. 2020 itself was an aberration, but it’s easy to just eliminate those numbers when you’re trying to compare apples to apples…

Not one type of business post pandemic that is operating at pre pandemic numbers…
I posted FBS football attendance numbers last week. 2022 attendance is back to where it was pre-pandemic. Haven’t seen up-to-date basketball numbers…

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT