ADVERTISEMENT

2017 football recruiting class

Cardinal Cash

Four-Star Poster
Gold Member
Oct 18, 2016
Now that Jordan Scott is off the table it looks like we will only end up with Hutch at the tackle spot (both good players but would have loved to get both). What is everyone hearing on how we finish this class? I've seen on this board that we are looking at 1-2 offensive lineman and 1-2 defensive ends. Anyone have an update on the class?

I don't know.

And I'll bet the coaches don't know.

The way these kids "commit" but want to "look at options", I don't know how anybody can guess until they fax the papers.

It's a numbers game that the kids don't even realize they are in. There will be some left without a chair when the music stops. You know Bama, LSU, etc have offered more than they can sign. Hell, we have.

It gets interesting.

Now that Jordan Scott is off the table it looks like we will only end up with Hutch at the tackle spot (both good players but would have loved to get both). What is everyone hearing on how we finish this class? I've seen on this board that we are looking at 1-2 offensive lineman and 1-2 defensive ends. Anyone have an update on the class?

Don't think Scott was a take for either Ole Miss or Louisville...that why he ended up at Oregon without even taking a visit...would love to finish up the class with DE Tre Lawson, OL Caleb Chandler, OL Toryque Bateman, DB Brian Edwards and ILB Gary Johnson

Last edited:
Don't think Scott was a take for either Ole Miss or Louisville...that why he ended up at Oregon without even taking a visit...would love to finish up the class with DE Tre Lawson, OL Caleb Chandler, OL Toryque Bateman, DB Brian Edwards and ILB Gary Johnson
Looks like 247 has us predicted to pick up all of those except tre Lawson who we aren't on the board for. I would like all of those as well, but we would have to unfortunately tell others to grayshirt or sign elsewhere if we picked up all of those guys.

Looks like 247 has us predicted to pick up all of those except tre Lawson who we aren't on the board for. I would like all of those as well, but we would have to unfortunately tell others to grayshirt or sign elsewhere if we picked up all of those guys.

Lawson is visiting and I love the limited tape I saw on the hudl...

I'm curious who your takes are at DT if not this guy that Oregon wanted.

Don't you lose like 4 DT's after next year with only 2 under class men DTs on the roster plus the one commit right now?

Don't you lose like 4 DT's after next year with only 2 under class men DTs on the roster plus the one commit right now?

He was a no take for Ole Miss as well...apparently when he came in for his official was that he was beyond overweight with being grossly out of shape and both UofL and Ole Miss backed off after his officials to both schools. He committed to Oregon without a visit...

Right now they have one committed in Ben Hutch and they are still recruiting a few other DL...Tre Lawson the former Tennessee commit is one to watch...

We'll be fine.

We'll be fine.

Hutch was the guy we needed for the NT...with Hutch Louisville will have 4 players around 280 pound and up range that can play in the interior that are FR or Sophomore in Dorsey, Tillman, Robinson and Hutch. Not counting Shortridge, Richardson and Williams as the upperclsssmen

Hutch was the guy we needed for the NT...with Hutch Louisville will have 4 players around 280 pound and up range that can play in the interior that are FR or Sophomore in Dorsey, Tillman, Robinson and Hutch. Not counting Shortridge, Richardson and Williams as the upperclsssmen
I'd be willing to bet that we end up with a transfer. I do trust coach knowing what his roster looks like.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I'd be willing to bet that we end up with a transfer. I do trust coach knowing what his roster looks like.

Or a surprise HS player...but with Hutch and the ones currently on the roster numbers wise we are in good shape for 2017...but you're correct...trust the coaches on this one...it was apparent both schools that were at the top of Scott list completely backed off for a reason.

Reactions: rockycard
Of the remaining DL Targets this is the one I like the most...Tre Lawson...scheduled official visit on the 14th....especially with his 6-6/6-7 Frame.

Reactions: rockycard
Isn't Bailey a senior next year? He would be the best returning DT.

As far as thechoing guys..still looks pretty thin. Tilman is new to DT and has never played. Dorsey is RS freshman next year who's only other P5 offer was Vandy. Robinson has potential but didn't show much as a RS FR. Hutch has potential.

That makes 4 Dlinemen for 3 spots year after next. All shit talk aside, that's worrisome. I'm betting some jucos are on the horizon.

Isn't Bailey a senior next year? He would be the best returning DT.

As far as thechoing guys..still looks pretty thin. Tilman is new to DT and has never played. Dorsey is RS freshman next year who's only other P5 offer was Vandy. Robinson has potential but didn't show much as a RS FR. Hutch has potential.

That makes 4 Dlinemen for 3 spots year after next. All shit talk aside, that's worrisome. I'm betting some jucos are on the horizon.

Bailey is more of a DE and didn't count him...The best returning interior guy is IMO Richardson not Bailey...Looks like around 10 Scholarship Players on the DL out of 85 Scholarship players and 5 of the 6 in the Two Deep...only DL currently looking like they will not be back from the 2016 team is the SR. DeAngelo Brown....big loss but it looks like Hutch got that slot and they want to add another quality DL-(and Lawson I hope is the target)

Bottom line we gone through this every year as do everyone else...ppl that Redshirt the public doesn't know about-(and that goes with every school) and Louisville isn't done recruiting...still involved with a few other DT that haven't been mentioned...will wait until 1 Feb but with the current numbers can not see them taking more than 1 other DT/DE...if it Lawson would be very pleased.

Last edited:
I agree that D-line is a huge need. I am fine with us waiting to load up until next year if we only lose deangelo though. We needed one more this year but we can just take 3 or 4 next year. I think Hutch will be good and Stephens has potential at end. I'd rather take the linebackers Johnson and Dixon though than add some random defensive lineman. Both are high quality players at a position of need.

I agree that D-line is a huge need. I am fine with us waiting to load up until next year if we only lose deangelo though. We needed one more this year but we can just take 3 or 4 next year. I think Hutch will be good and Stephens has potential at end. I'd rather take the linebackers Johnson and Dixon though than add some random defensive lineman. Both are high quality players at a position of need.

Absolute wish list for me from a Fans POV...

MLB Breon Davis 4* will announce publically 1 January 2017 between Louisville and Ole Miss...early enrollee
DB Brian Edwards 4* looks like a Louisville and Miami battle...most feel UofL is the leader
RB A.J. Davis 4* Louisville, UNC & Pitt
DE Tre Lawson 3* Louisville & FSU
OL Toryque Bateman 3* Louisville Lean over Michigan and Mississippi State
OL Caleb Chandler 3* Louisville Lean IMO

Now someone that all of a sudden popped up on the radar and now has Louisville in his Top 3 WR Jeff Thomas...The Consensus Top 100 Overall National Player Louisville and Illinois all of a sudden look like the Top...Bama and Missouri Out...Oregon also trying to get in....

Notes from the UA All American Game...

• Louisville four-star cornerback Russ Yeast says that schools understood he had shut down his recruitment. He believes it took a while for his recruiting profile to gain traction because he missed several games as a junior. Yeast is a former Kentucky commitment, and his father Craig played for the Wildcats.
  • Louisville safety commit C.J. Avery, from Grenada (Miss.) said that he never considered flipping to Ole Miss, and that the only option would have been Auburn, had coach Wesley McGriff stayed with the Tigers and not accepted the defensive coordinator job at Ole Miss. He believes Ole Miss media made up the rumors.
  • Four-star running back A.J. Davis, of Lakeland (Fla.), has Louisville, UNC and Pitt standing out.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...all-america-recruit-game-prospect-commit-news

I'm not getting my hopes too high on Davis with Colin Wilson already being on board.
Fsu has 2 of the top 5 running backs in the country committed. Running backs are starting to buy in to the philosophy that if they work in a system with other good backs that they won't take as many hits and have a longer NFL career. I think we have shown to play a variety of backs, but with Lamar running so much we may not be as attractive an option.

You have Lamar, Colin Wilson, a couple of other serviceable backs, plus a plethora of receivers to go along with a mr do it all in Bonnafon. Just don't see another stud RB wanting to jump into that pile. Only so many plays to go around per game.

You have Lamar, Colin Wilson, a couple of other serviceable backs, plus a plethora of receivers to go along with a mr do it all in Bonnafon. Just don't see another stud RB wanting to jump into that pile. Only so many plays to go around per game.

Except if your team is scoring 50-60 points per game there are a lot of opportunities.

It's called redshirting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT