ADVERTISEMENT

1-8 the past 9 years pretty frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.

Why do some UK fans come here and feel like they can be disrespectful guests and not get trampled on?

Post with respect and you'll be treated with respect. It actually works.

Theyve been doing it ever since the accusations came out.

Look at your board. A 12,000 reply post to accusations. There wasnt that much
discussion about the 2012 title.

Reactions: JohnKBA
LOL.

Why do some UK fans come here and feel like they can be disrespectful guests and not get trampled on?

Post with respect and you'll be treated with respect. It actually works.

True story. And there is a TON of proof of that in the MANY visitor comments throughout the threads since the game.

Reactions: JohnKBA
True story. And there is a TON of proof of that in the MANY visitor comments throughout the threads since the game.
There are some who want to come here to get trampled on too. I really try not to get sucked in to that, but sometimes I can't help myself. I appreciate you guys showing me some latitude when I slip up. I'll try to keep it G rated from now on.

Did he flip the bird? Yes.
Does it matter? No.
Did the fan deserve it? I'm sure.
Should Rick have done it? No.

Not really much of a story, IMO. This falls into the "so what" category.
This is absolutely correct. It is a non story and not a big deal. Just curious why so many want to deny it happened. Acknowledge it happened and move on.

That is exactly the type of stuff I was talking about. Someone- or two- players from Uk always plays over their head and has an all world game against us. Happens pretty much every single time so I've come to expect it.

Now you know how UK football fans feel when UofL's struggling starting QB gets pulled in football while we are dominating. I called it the second that Lamar Jackson entered the game this year. I was like, "Uh oh. Here we go again!" It was a really good basketball game, though. Both teams played really hard. I was extremely impressed with Donovan Mitchell. He is going to be a fan favorite a la Dejuan Wheat.

Now you know how UK football fans feel when UofL's struggling starting QB gets pulled in football while we are dominating. I called it the second that Lamar Jackson entered the game this year. I was like, "Uh oh. Here we go again!" It was a really good basketball game, though. Both teams played really hard. I was extremely impressed with Donovan Mitchell. He is going to be a fan favorite a la Dejuan Wheat.
The difference is Lamar Jackson will most likely play in the NFL where Hawkins has as good a chance at making the NBA as I do. Not a good comparison at all IMO.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
The difference is Lamar Jackson will most likely play in the NFL where Hawkins has as good a chance at making the NBA as I do. Not a good comparison at all IMO.

Not trying to compare players. Just the feeling of frustration. I don't doubt Jackson's talent, but he wasn't out there as the starter.

BS. Why should he man up to something he didn't do? I have yet to see a clear, concise picture of him holding up his middle finger to anyone. If I ever do see that, I will clap loudly in support.

Regarding the post game interview. He did the post game radio interview like he always does for out of conference games. He is only required to do TV interviews after conference games. If you really want to see him interviewed after a game, then watch a UofL conference game.

Pretty sure based off the fan reactions that he was giving the middle finger, Fans wouldn't of all pointed at him the moment after his hand goes up if he was just hold up his pointing finger....watch below....

https://www.facebook.com/adamgatzke/videos/10156282245920212/

It's hard to get away from these facts.

The question is why? I think I understand as far as Rick is concerned. The nastiness by the UK faithful has surely taken its toll. I imagine it's gets harder and harder to look back fondly on your days as the coach of a school whose fans mostly now detest you.

I'm sure Rick would love to be appreciated in Lexington but that's life. He may not have expected the prolonged hard feelings but he's been the coach in Louisville now for 15 years so it's time to at least accept it.
I completely agree and it's time for UK to move on too. There is never going to be good blood between the two again it's time for his name to be lowered from the rafters. Rick has let the hatred he has for Cal drive a wedge between him and the university. Being honored in the rafters goes beyond what you did on the court. You have to be a good ambassador and representative for the university beyond your days here. All of the backhanded remarks about UK, it's fans, and the program while coaching at its heated rival have ruined any chance he ever had of being accepted back. Flipping the bird was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's not just Rick but Richie Farmer needs to be lowered from the rafters as well

Not trying to compare players. Just the feeling of frustration. I don't doubt Jackson's talent, but he wasn't out there as the starter.

I understand what you're saying. It does get frustrating is all. Not only the part about some Uk player coming out of nowhere to have an all world game against UofL but also (and I'm not just talking about the latest game) you guys shooting way over your average for 3 pointers, shooting over your average in FT's, knocking down shots that they won't make in any other game ever etc. It seems to happen every single year.

Also stuff like UofL shooting their worst FG percentage in history against Uk last year in the YUM, and while I do give Uk's defense some credit we just plain missed a ton of open looks as well and still ended up losing by single digits. That stuff just adds up over the years- and well you know what I mean.

It's hard to get away from these facts.

The question is why? I think I understand as far as Rick is concerned. The nastiness by the UK faithful has surely taken its toll. I imagine it's gets harder and harder to look back fondly on your days as the coach of a school whose fans mostly now detest you.

I'm sure Rick would love to be appreciated in Lexington but that's life. He may not have expected the prolonged hard feelings but he's been the coach in Louisville now for 15 years so it's time to at least accept it.

There is no need for Rick to look back fondly or otherwise. He made the decision to leave and he made the decision to coach where he is. He has no reason to think that fans are going to welcome him back. Heck many of the current fans have no knowledge of him ever coaching at UK.

If anything, it is hard for him to come back to Lexington because it reminds him of one of the biggest mistakes he ever made professionally. He realizes that he would most likely be considered the top college basketball coach in the country instead of Cal, coach K or Bill Self if he had stayed at UK.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clive Gollings
There is no need for Rick to look back fondly or otherwise. He made the decision to leave and he made the decision to coach where he is. He has no reason to think that fans are going to welcome him back. Heck many of the current fans have no knowledge of him ever coaching at UK.

If anything, it is hard for him to come back to Lexington because it reminds him of one of the biggest mistakes he ever made professionally. He realizes that he would most likely be considered the top college basketball coach in the country instead of Cal, coach K or Bill Self.
BS !!

If anything, it is hard for him to come back to Lexington because it reminds him of one of the biggest mistakes he ever made professionally. He realizes that he would most likely be considered the top college basketball coach in the country instead of Cal, coach K or Bill Self if he had stayed at UK.
What you posted is pure total garbage. He is more than content to be at UofL where he is embraced and accepted as human.

Had he stayed at UofK, he would have either been fired by now or he would have went insane. You can only take so much of whacked out nut jobs digging up your lawn for the dirt, or having people portray themselves as police officers just to get close. The obsession UofK fans show in general to the game of basketball and everyone involved with it is more than strange. It's unhealthy. Calipari will figure that out eventually or he'll keel over with a coronary from all the outrageous expectations. The only man to deal with it for any great amount of time was Adolph Rupp who in the end was forced out in spite of his incredible success. You really think the end of Calipari is going to be different? LOL. OK.

What you posted is pure total garbage. He is more than content to be at UofL where he is embraced and accepted as human.

Had he stayed at UofK, he would have either been fired by now or he would have went insane. You can only take so much of whacked out nut jobs digging up your lawn for the dirt, or having people portray themselves as police officers just to get close. The obsession UofK fans show in general to the game of basketball and everyone involved with it is more than strange. It's unhealthy. Calipari will figure that out eventually or he'll keel over with a coronary from all the outrageous expectations. The only man to deal with it for any great amount of time was Adolph Rupp who in the end was forced out in spite of his incredible success. You really think the end of Calipari is going to be different? LOL. OK.

So is it fair to blame UofL for his behavior since being your coach? He certainly wasn't found guilty of that behavior at UK. As a matter of fact, he had a clean record personally and professionally at UK. You shouldn't talk about forcing out coaches since that is exactly what you did to Denny Crum.

Well then what do you proclaim yourself? A riflery school?? I've never heard an LPT fan argue that point.

"Elite program", my a$$...

When someone uses "self proclaimed" they are insinuating that no one else besides themselves are proclaiming something. Obviously UK is a top two powerhouse program all time and and 100 percent a basketball school. We are not self proclaimed in the traditional sense. The whole world knows we are a basketball power. Interesting choice of words on your part.

Reactions: Dirk2Bowie
So is it fair to blame UofL for his behavior since being your coach? He certainly wasn't found guilty of that behavior at UK. As a matter of fact, he had a clean record personally and professionally at UK. You shouldn't talk about forcing out coaches since that is exactly what you did to Denny Crum.
I didn't force out anyone. I'm just a fan. Also, Pitino isn't my coach. He's UofL's coach and right there is the main difference between the two fan bases. UofK fans have to connect themselves to everything about the UofK program whereas UofL fans understand boundaries and respects them.

You want to talk about coaches being forced out? Adolph Rupp was just the begninning, Joe B Hall, Eddie Sutton? Tubby Smith? Billy Gillispie? Any of those names ring a bell for you?

UK & UL fans who lived at the time might remember that Rupp, being a state employee, reached the mandatory retirement age of 70. He requested that an exception be made but was denied. Rupp gruff personality had caused him to lose some support and this may have been an issue. Rupp, like Knight later may have become a victim of his own doing.

Rupp's 4 NC's, and Knight's 2 or 3 (don't remember) and Crum's 2 NC's could not save either of them. Sadly the game had passed them by.
Sutton was involved in one of the biggest NCAA infractions of that time.
Tubby and BCG, look at their record since UK and tell me if they should have kept there job there.

Some coaches, like other people in real life are promoted to positions too demanding for their own ability,

Last edited:
I didn't force out anyone. I'm just a fan. Also, Pitino isn't my coach. He's UofL's coach and right there is the main difference between the two fan bases. UofK fans have to connect themselves to everything about the UofK program whereas UofL fans understand boundaries and respects them.

You want to talk about coaches being forced out? Adolph Rupp was just the begninning, Joe B Hall, Eddie Sutton? Tubby Smith? Billy Gillispie? Any of those names ring a bell for you?
Bingo. UK fans own sense of self worth ebbs and flows with what the basketball team does.

When someone uses "self proclaimed" they are insinuating that no one else besides themselves are proclaiming something. Obviously UK is a top two powerhouse program all time and and 100 percent a basketball school. We are not self proclaimed in the traditional sense. The whole world knows we are a basketball power. Interesting choice of words on your part.
The descriptor meant it was without debate among your fanbase. Maybe a better term would have served the purpose.

As much as that puts your other sports in a box, notably football, slapd!cks can't help themselves. Basketball is truly their identity.

For the record, I wouldn't agree about the "world" and "power" connection. The rest of us do recognize that you think of yourselves as the premier basketball program in the land, accurate or not. Which gives outsized scale to this basketball game among your fans. What Pitino Lite dubs "Super Bowl". If you don't (or no longer) think of yourself along those lines, the game takes its proper perspective.

I completely agree and it's time for UK to move on too. There is never going to be good blood between the two again it's time for his name to be lowered from the rafters. Rick has let the hatred he has for Cal drive a wedge between him and the university. Being honored in the rafters goes beyond what you did on the court. You have to be a good ambassador and representative for the university beyond your days here. All of the backhanded remarks about UK, it's fans, and the program while coaching at its heated rival have ruined any chance he ever had of being accepted back. Flipping the bird was the straw that broke the camel's back. It's not just Rick but Richie Farmer needs to be lowered from the rafters as well

That's dumb. Why is he required to still be an ambassador and representative for UK?

The descriptor meant it was without debate among your fanbase. Maybe a better term would have served the purpose.

As much as that puts your other sports in a box, notably football, slapd!cks can't help themselves. Basketball is truly their identity.

For the record, I wouldn't agree about the "world" and "power" connection. The rest of us do recognize that you think of yourselves as the premier basketball program in the land, accurate or not. Which gives outsized scale to this basketball game among your fans. What Pitino Lite dubs "Super Bowl". If you don't (or no longer) think of yourself along those lines, the game takes its proper perspective.

Zip...could you please simplify your wording for the UK fans. Do you really think any of them can understand what you just posted? Its not nice to confuse them.

You've apparently misunderstood Pitino or haven't listened to him... When he talks about what he still holds in his heart for LPT, it's the connection to former PLAYERS. He says he cannot disrespect LPT because that would be disrespecting them.

To your point, he doesn't hold LPT fans in anywhere near the same regard, nor should he. My guess is the contempt is mutual as far as fans who hold him in contempt. I've seen him any number of times still signing memorabilia for LPT fans who respect him, and he always does that willingly and cheerfully. It's the haters in your fanbase that he has no use for or any intention of trying to reach out to, because it would be wasted effort.

Those are the very LPT fans I love seeing on message boards and hearing on sports talk radio. The LPT stuff of legend. No one hates like an LPT fan hates.

Zip...could you please simplify your wording for the UK fans. Do you really think any of them can understand what you just posted? Its not nice to confuse them.
I could, but it also amuses me how little many of them know of their native language. :D

Rick like UofL fans without exception are truly glad that they #1, don't live in Lexington and #1A, don't root for the University of Kentucky.

Rick made a decision to leave that hayfield up there after he cleaned up your mess to coach the friggin Boston Celtics. If you can't understand that then your are truly a moron.

Rick has reached his destination job and loves not having to deal with a sub-human fan base.

UofK fans are truly hilarious to the rest of the country. Only idiots and no lifers such as Big Blew psychos lose perspective as they get older. Get over yourself Gomer.

Rick like UofL fans without exception are truly glad that they #1, don't live in Lexington and #1A, don't root for the University of Kentucky.

Rick made a decision to leave that hayfield up there after he cleaned up your mess to coach the friggin Boston Celtics. If you can't understand that then your are truly a moron.

Rick has reached his destination job and loves not having to deal with a sub-human fan base.

UofK fans are truly hilarious to the rest of the country. Only idiots and no lifers such as Big Blew psychos lose perspective as they get older. Get over yourself Gomer.
Right. Rick left a national runner-up team a year removed from a championship because he hated it so much. I mean why would anyone go to coach AND be gm for a top 3 NBA franchise unless they hated Lexington and its fans?

I'm sure Rick is happy at Louisville and I have no animosity toward him for leaving for the NBA or even coaching Louisville. But to say it's because he couldn't stand it anymore is delusional. He left to try his hand at the biggest stage in basketball and when it sunk, he came back to college. End of story.

Right. Rick left a national runner-up team a year removed from a championship because he hated it so much. I mean why would anyone go to coach AND be gm for a top 3 NBA franchise unless they hated Lexington and its fans?

I'm sure Rick is happy at Louisville and I have no animosity toward him for leaving for the NBA or even coaching Louisville. But to say it's because he couldn't stand it anymore is delusional. He left to try his hand at the biggest stage in basketball and when it sunk, he came back to college. End of story.
Same thing can be said about Calipari. Go ask the "F`ing Mexican Idiot" Dan Garcia how he feels about Calipari's time with the Nets. I doubt he is all that fond of the man, and as it turns out, the NETS were not all that fond of him either.

Same thing can be said about Calipari. Go ask the "F`ing Mexican Idiot" Dan Garcia how he feels about Calipari's time with the Nets. I doubt he is all that fond of the man, and as it turns out, the NETS were not all that fond of him either.
Hey I agree. Turns out neither was suited for the NBA. My point was simply that it wasn't because Rick hated Lexington that he left for an NBA job any more than it wasn't because Cal hated Massachusetts that he left for one.

+1

Rick has publicly stated that leaving UK was the worst decision of his life - not career, not coaching, but in life in general. Cannot blame him since being from New England and getting a chance to coach the Celtics was a dream job for him and almost anyone in hoops. He just won a title and finished runner up to Arizona due to some missed FT's and OT - team won the title the next year as well. No question he is a good college coach with a system, but like anyone in life it is easier to respond to adversity at 42 than at 62.

Last edited:
Pitino left LPT to get away from rural Kentucky and slapd!cks. He's a city guy, and a town the size of Louisville is about as small as he wants to get.

The basketball coaching element he can get at a lot of places. If he wants to coach college ball, he wants to be in a place where it's relatively important. Louisville is the largest college basketball TV market in the country.

It's logical that he landed in Louisville and wants to stay here.

Reactions: Louisvillian
...Rick has publicly stated that leaving UK was the worst decision of his life - not career, not coaching, but in life in general. Cannot blame him since being from New England and getting a chance to coach the Celtics was a dream job for him and almost anyone in hoops...
Pitino has said a lot of things that should be discounted. Recall "Mike Marra is the best shooter I've ever seen" as one of the more famous examples. Another is "LPT is Camelot". Just because he says something doesn't mean it's true or even that he 100% believes it. He was around slapd!cks for years, and most of them still haven't figured that out. Speaking of which...

If a poster cannot politely and cordially post over there I would think that our mods should reciprocate in kind for when their posters do the exact same thing. Literally have had posts deleted and been banned without a single curse word, insult.... Steelers was on this site non stop spewing without impunity and posing as a UK fan with no repercussions. Cannot imagine having a woman beater like Zipp on my home board as the top poster - hide the women and children since that is who apparently who he likes to fight
Like the average LPT fan, you're chock full of misinformation. Better verify your sources and not rely on other slapd!cks for it. (And the appropriate term is "with impunity".)

Pitino left LPT to get away from rural Kentucky and slapd!cks. He's a city guy, and a town the size of Louisville is about as small as he wants to get.

The basketball coaching element he can get at a lot of places. If he wants to coach college ball, he wants to be in a place where it's relatively important. Louisville is the largest college basketball TV market in the country.

It's logical that he landed in Louisville and wants to stay here.

So Rick went to U of L so he could watch the Cards on TV? Pretty sure that when people follow a team the first thing they look at is TV ratings and not overall wins, National titles, players in the NBA, NBA All Stars, NCAA tourney wins, Final Fours, Sweet Sixteens.

Tell me which program is the all time leader in wins in college hoops between Kentucky and U of L. I will even let you pick any other ACC to partner with U of L against UK.

National titles?
Final Fours?
Sweet Sixteens?
Number one overall picks?
Conference titles?

So Rick went to U of L so he could watch the Cards on TV? Pretty sure that when people follow a team the first thing they look at is TV ratings and not overall wins, National titles, players in the NBA, NBA All Stars, NCAA tourney wins, Final Fours, Sweet Sixteens.
The TV ratings indicate fan interest in this area. I doubt he's interested in how many TV games he can get with his cable subscription.

...Tell me which program is the all time leader in wins in college hoops between Kentucky and U of L. I will even let you pick any other ACC to partner with U of L against UK.

National titles?
Final Fours?
Sweet Sixteens?
Number one overall picks?
Conference titles?
Since a slapd!ck always goes to his favorite move... As far as program comparisons--if I were to peer into Pitino's mind--he probably wants the best possible platform TODAY to practice his trade.

He can coach at a marquee program in the best college basketball conference in history playing an annual schedule of who's who in the sport. Or he can pick a school playing most of its games in a conference where no one else gives a damn about basketball.

Gee, if I had all the power and money in the world, which would I choose?

Pretty sure based off the fan reactions that he was giving the middle finger, Fans wouldn't of all pointed at him the moment after his hand goes up if he was just hold up his pointing finger....watch below....

Was there audio of what was said to coach? Something tells me that it was probably a nasty personal remark, I'm not a coach but I'd been up there having guys pull me off of that guy. I can't believe that Pitino giving some yuk the finger has your fan base so torn up, have you ever given someone the finger? If so were they as traumatized as you guys are?

Who the hell said Rick couldn't stand it anymore at UK? Read much? Come to think of it, he may have wanted out of that rural psycho ward.

But seriously, I said he left to take a dream job in the NBA and now is glad he is in Louisville and not in Lexington which is true whether you and the rest of your delusional Cat fans believe it or not. Jeez.

I don't need nor want to watch it again. IF he gave the loud mouth who was screaming at him the middle finger then I APPLAUD HIS ACTIONS. The only thing that would have made it better is if he had confronted the loser. Then again, that's what the loser wanted. A shot at an easy payday. Maybe the loser who got his panties in a wad over it will sue coach Pitino for undue stress. Maybe the loud mouth can make the case he felt his life was in danger. Poor wittle fur ball. I really feel sorry for him, or was it you?

Who the hell said Rick couldn't stand it anymore at UK? Read much? Come to think of it, he may have wanted out of that rural psycho ward.

But seriously, I said he left to take a dream job in the NBA and now is glad he is in Louisville and not in Lexington which is true whether you and the rest of your delusional Cat fans believe it or not. Jeez.
The exact words of Louisvillian were, "Rick made a decision to leave that hayfield up there after he cleaned up your mess to coach the friggin Boston Celtics."

Now to me, that implies that Rick was tired of living in a "hayfield" and that's the reason he left. My assertation, is that had he been at Louisville or any other university, he would have done the same thing.

In hindsight he has said that it was a huge mistake to leave. I'm not saying he's not happy at UL. But it's kinda ridiculous to think that he wakes up in the morning and thinks to himself "oh, thank God I'm not at UK anymore."

Was there audio of what was said to coach? Something tells me that it was probably a nasty personal remark, I'm not a coach but I'd been up there having guys pull me off of that guy. I can't believe that Pitino giving some yuk the finger has your fan base so torn up, have you ever given someone the finger? If so were they as traumatized as you guys are?
The guy said "one and nine baby!"

Honestly, I think people are making a bigger deal out of it than necessary. Mind you, as a coach, you represent the university, you need to be an example, yada yada yada. If Cal had done that, I wouldn't be happy about it. But I'd roll my eyes and move on.

In hindsight he has said that it was a huge mistake to leave. I'm not saying he's not happy at UL. But it's kinda ridiculous to think that he wakes up in the morning and thinks to himself "oh, thank God I'm not at UK anymore."

Not ridiculous at all IMO. Would you enjoy people sneaking into your yard to dig up the dirt as a souvenir? Would you be a little freaked out to find out that one of the security detail you thought was a cop was in fact some whacked out nut job portraying himself as a policeman just to get close to you? Would you enjoy living life in a freaking fish bowl day in and day out 24x7?

Only a narcissist would enjoy that lifestyle. Think about that before you answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT