ADVERTISEMENT

Zach McCrite: D-bag…

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
A small, local publication has given this guy “carte blanche to write about whatever [he] wants to write about”. So under the guise of giving our ex-AD the accolades he deserves, McCrite takes his parting shots…

“Jurich considered me credible.” …Or possibly just someone who didn’t deserve the forum of a radio station gig, esp. at one dubbed “Cards Radio”.

“I guess it was just [Jurich’s] prerogative to not have me on airwaves for which he had at least some level of control. …this is how it works in some markets where the media entity has to make nice with one of their highest-paying customers or else face the consequences.” …Why would someone who partners with and supports a radio station named after it want a say in how it operates? Beats the hell outta me! (To the contrary, the main problem I have with WKRD 790 is there’s NOT ENOUGH U of L influence on content.)

“Luckily, the people in power at iHeartRadio…also felt me valuable enough to keep me around. And thanks to them and Matt Jones…I was still able to secure a radio gig without much downtime, becoming Matt’s first partner on ‘Kentucky Sports Radio’ ” …Or why would we question the impartiality of a WKRD candidate who could take refuge in the arms of Maddie Bangs? At the risk of sounding repetitive, beats the hell outta me!

“Jurich and I were always respectful of each other in public…shaking hands when we saw each other. But, Jurich made his feelings about me well known just in that simple handshake. Either that, or he regularly shakes hands with the strength of a wet newspaper.” …And of course when all else fails, the go-to move of a personal insult.

McCrite wraps up his veiled hatchet piece by trashing Pres. Ramsey, lauding the BoT and John Schnatter, and ridiculing media members like Howie who must stay on U of L’s good side by being “mouthpieces for the university in exchange for job security.” All I can say is thank God for Jurich’s ability to keep media gas bags like McCrite, Lachlan McLean, and Bob Valvano in their cages to the extent he could and for as long as he could.

LINK

Last edited:
Agree. I especially dislike Valvano. Cannot believe he is allowed to continue on our broadcast team.

Reactions: gocds
Agree. I especially dislike Valvano. Cannot believe he is allowed to continue on our broadcast team.

Valvano’s true colors came through when Jurich was in trouble. He’s one of those kick the guy when he’s down because he didn’t have the balls to do it any other time. I use to occasionally listen to him but not anymore.

Also I don’t think Howie is the mouth piece for anyone. Howie just happens to be a UofL fan.

Personally I don’t even know who this McCrite guy is and could careless sounds like another whiny A$$ to me.

...Personally I don’t even know who this McCrite guy is and could careless sounds like another whiny A$$ to me.
In reality, he's a nobody trying to be somebody. A good first step for himself would probably be to recognize who he is.

After the hiatus he talks about in the article, he's now reemerged in Louisville and occasionally appears on ESPN 680 AM. That station would be a good fit for him alongside the aforementioned radio guys. Keep all of the gasbags in one place...

I read it quickly but what did he write that was incorrect. Ask anybody in the Louisville media and they’ll verify McRites story. Sorry he doesn’t worship your hero.

I personally like media outlets that aren’t beholden to institutions they cover.

Knucklehank1, so you can't understand why Jurich would want someone loyal to Louisville broadcasting about Louisville. You sure are sUcK dumb.

Reactions: zipp
Knucklehank1, so you can't understand why Jurich would want someone loyal to Louisville broadcasting about Louisville. You sure are sUcK dumb.

"You sure are sUcK dumb."

Though it fell short, I applaud your effort to make a coherent sentence.

I read it quickly but what did he write that was incorrect. Ask anybody in the Louisville media and they’ll verify McRites story. Sorry he doesn’t worship your hero.

I personally like media outlets that aren’t beholden to institutions they cover.
I'm not questioning the accuracy of the underlying events although McCrite spins crap in a way that only another hater would appreciate. It's his utter lack of ability to connect the dots. He's not as dumb as he's acting although he's clueless about the person he really is.

WKRD and 93.9 The Ville are not your garden variety "media outlet". The Iheart version tries to be half-pregnant because it has conflicts of interest, e.g., The Maddie Bangs Theater on an affiliated station. My guess is you don't understand that.

And in a world where I may have to pick a hero--since it's all relative--I'm pretty happy with my choice...

I'm not questioning the accuracy of the underlying events although McCrite spins crap in a way that only another hater would appreciate. It's his utter lack of ability to connect the dots. He's not as dumb as he's acting although he's clueless about the person he really is.

WKRD and 93.9 The Ville are not your garden variety "media outlet". The Iheart version tries to be half-pregnant because it has conflicts of interest, e.g., The Maddie Bangs Theater on an affiliated station. My guess is you don't understand that.

And in a world where I may have to pick a hero--since it's all relative--I'm pretty happy with my choice...

I care about transparency. If the station was beholden to UofL and Jurich, then be up front about that. Of course I’m working under the premise that radio media members fall under the umbrella of journalists.

If you don’t question of accuracy of the underlying events, then what are you mad about? Jurich used his power and influence to his advantage over some “d-bag”. Kudos to him, right?

I care about transparency. If the station was beholden to UofL and Jurich, then be up front about that. Of course I’m working under the premise that radio media members fall under the umbrella of journalists.

If you don’t question of accuracy of the underlying events, then what are you mad about? Jurich used his power and influence to his advantage over some “d-bag”. Kudos to him, right?
What's not transparent about "93.9 The Ville" and "Cards Radio"? How much more in-your-face can those radio stations be? McCrite just didn't like how that translated to him personally and his BIG OPPORTUNITY. So what, he didn't deserve that opportunity! And it took a guy tending the farm--Jurich--to tell him that. The 790 guys should have, but they don't always tend the farm. I almost think that 790 decisions like hiring Howie and R&R were accidents or purely driven by financials.

I'm "mad", as you call it, by the insinuation that Jurich was over-reaching. To the contrary, he was doing exactly the job he should have done. And like usual, he was doing it well. Sucks for McCrite, but not really...

I don’t understand your point. You are proud of Jurich for getting a guy black-balled but then you are mad at the guy for saying that Jurich black balled him.

Reactions: DufferCard
I don’t understand your point. You are proud of Jurich for getting a guy black-balled but then you are mad at the guy for saying that Jurich black balled him.
Typical hate rhetoric... Where did it say even in McCrite's article that he was "black-balled"? The guy could have taken a job anywhere. He simply tried to work a U of L radio station, and Jurich told him "no" AS HE SHOULD HAVE.

And in his back-handed smear piece, McCrite obviously had his issues with that--issues that he apparently will take to his grave. What are you not comprehending?...

Local sports talk radio throughout the country is at best a bunch of jag offs trying to stir the pot to bring in listeners who have little else to do in their lives. Nothing wrong with that but I’d rather take an ice pick to my eardrums than listen to blowhards like McCrite, Lachlan etc....And anyone (including UaKay fans) that can listen to that whimpering weasel Maddy Jones without wanting to choke slam him, is a complete tool or just brain dead.

What’s really amazing is that this particular group of Knobs think they do something important around town. Meet a mirror once in awhile, fellas.

Typical hate rhetoric... Where did it say even in McCrite's article that he was "black-balled"? The guy could have taken a job anywhere. He simply tried to work a U of L radio station, and Jurich told him "no" AS HE SHOULD HAVE.

And in his back-handed smear piece, McCrite obviously had his issues with that--issues that he apparently will take to his grave. What are you not comprehending?...

Def: Blackball - a negative vote, especially in deciding on an applicant or candidate.

Use in Sentence: the powerful athletic director used his influence over the beholden radio stations to blackball the soon-to-be employed radio host.

Def: Blackball - a negative vote, especially in deciding on an applicant or candidate.

Use in Sentence: the powerful athletic director used his influence over the beholden radio stations to blackball the soon-to-be employed radio host.
You saying Jurich had no right to veto who worked on a station called "Cards Radio"? You saying he prevented McCrite from working anywhere else??...

You saying Jurich had no right to veto who worked on a station called "Cards Radio"? You saying he prevented McCrite from working anywhere else??...

Jurich had the right to say whatever he damn well wanted. However I think it was silly that he was concerned who hosted radio shows.

I think he made it clear to the sports radio entities that he would make their lives more difficult if McCrite were hired. Call that what you want.

Last edited:
Valvano’s true colors came through when Jurich was in trouble. He’s one of those kick the guy when he’s down because he didn’t have the balls to do it any other time. I use to occasionally listen to him but not anymore.

Also I don’t think Howie is the mouth piece for anyone. Howie just happens to be a UofL fan.

Personally I don’t even know who this McCrite guy is and could careless sounds like another whiny A$$ to me.

None of the media guys in Louisville had the balls to challenge Jurich face to face, but they sure grew some when the tide turned. Reminded me of turkey buzzards going after road kill.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Jurich had the right to say whatever he damn well wanted. However I think it was silly that he was concerned who hosted radio shows...
That's garbage. The host has a bully pulpit for 3-4 hours. The haters on ESPN 680 don't even like taking callers. Jurich absolutely did right exerting whatever influence he had over people dominating the airwaves on a radio station bearing his name. Pity that you and McCrite don't understand that.
...I think he made it clear to the sports radio entities that he would make their lives more difficult if McCrite were hired...
He made that clear to AM 790 execs. You have zero evidence that he systematically tried to exert that influence elsewhere without the financial support of U of L. You (should) get what you pay for...

That's garbage. The host has a bully pulpit for 3-4 hours. The haters on ESPN 680 don't even like taking callers. Jurich absolutely did right exerting whatever influence he had over people dominating the airwaves on a radio station bearing his name. Pity that you and McCrite don't understand that.

He made that clear to AM 790 execs. You have zero evidence that he systematically tried to exert that influence elsewhere without the financial support of U of L. You (should) get what you pay for...

Again, if Jurich did the right thing, what are you so upset about? Surely some “d-bag” radio guy can’t hurt your feelings.

I had a conversation with two people in the Louisville sports media and they told me McCrite was essentially blackballed. That was long before this piece he wrote came out.

None of the media guys in Louisville had the balls to challenge Jurich face to face, but they sure grew some when the tide turned. Reminded me of turkey buzzards going after road kill.

I’m guessing they figured that preserving their jobs took precedence over anything else. It may have been cowardly but it was probably smart.

Even though I agree with zipp’s ‘assessment of this guy I do believe that we are giving him much too much “space” as he is not someone that we should really care about as he isn’t even UofL wise. This also gives folks like Knucklehank1 a forum to continue their diatribe against Tom Jurich and others. They’ve had their opportunities to kick TJ while he is down but the odd thing is - I don’t think he really cares. So with that in mind I don’t give a rat’s ass about what those type folks care.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Even though I agree with zipp’s ‘assessment of this guy I do believe that we are giving him much too much “space” as he is not someone that we should really care about as he isn’t even UofL wise. This also gives folks like Knucklehank1 a forum to continue their diatribe against Tom Jurich and others. They’ve had their opportunities to kick TJ while he is down but the odd thing is - I don’t think he really cares. So with that in mind I don’t give a rat’s ass about what those type folks care.

I appreciate your sentiments. Where you are wrong is concluding that I’m on a diatribe to put down Tom Jurich. I’m simply pointing out that TJ, like all of us, had flaws. Contrary to what Zipp might have you believe, not everything is black and white. Zipp’s agenda is to whitewash any negativity toward TJ in an attempt to undermine the “scumbag (Zipp’s words) Vince Tyra” who he thinks is illegitimate.

Again, if Jurich did the right thing, what are you so upset about? Surely some “d-bag” radio guy can’t hurt your feelings.

I had a conversation with two people in the Louisville sports media and they told me McCrite was essentially blackballed. That was long before this piece he wrote came out.
The issue is radio clowns like the three in this thread trying to impugn the guy's legacy. And of course, it feeds into Jurich haters like yourself.
I’m guessing they figured that preserving their jobs took precedence over anything else. It may have been cowardly but it was probably smart.
Or they just needed access to Jurich and U of L while he occupied the corner office. Again, you've offered no evidence of Jurich systematically "blackballing" media people in Louisville this side of Maddie Bangs (whom you probably also defend...)
I appreciate your sentiments. Where you are wrong is concluding that I’m on a diatribe to put down Tom Jurich. I’m simply pointing out that TJ, like all of us, had flaws. Contrary to what Zipp might have you believe, not everything is black and white. Zipp’s agenda is to whitewash any negativity toward TJ in an attempt to undermine the “scumbag (Zipp’s words) Vince Tyra” who he thinks is illegitimate.
Thanks for speaking for me, but I do a pretty good job of that myself. You can rationalize your hate anyway you want. That's what haters do...

The issue is radio clowns like the three in this thread trying to impugn the guy's legacy. And of course, it feeds into Jurich haters like yourself.

Or they just needed access to Jurich and U of L while he occupied the corner office. Again, you've offered no evidence of Jurich systematically "blackballing" media people in Louisville this side of Maddie Bangs (whom you probably also defend...)

Thanks for speaking for me, but I do a pretty good job of that myself. You can rationalize your hate anyway you want. That's what haters do...

I have no hate for Tom Jurich. The only hate is your hatred of Vince Tyra and trying to undermine his efforts. Your attempts to sway public opinion about him are sad. I’m sure you’ve seen Vince at UofL events, assuming you actually go. I’m sure he’d like to hear your opinions. Fortunately most rational people know your schtick.

Reactions: ULarder
I have no hate for Tom Jurich. The only hate is your hatred of Vince Tyra and trying to undermine his efforts. Your attempts to sway public opinion about him are sad. I’m sure you’ve seen Vince at UofL events, assuming you actually go. I’m sure he’d like to hear your opinions. Fortunately most rational people know your schtick.

Actually the evidence shows that zipp has somewhat slowed down his “criticisms” of Vince Tyra. I could be wrong as I’ve been wrong before but I don’t think so. Irregardless none of us, including zipp, know who our next AD will be. I am surprised that a “search firm” has been employed to find candidates for the AD position. They shouldn’t have a problem getting candidates for a $100K per month gig. And that includes of course, Mr. Tyra. The “interim” idiots are, as expected, getting things bass-ass backwards in their attempt to fill positions before they find a new president. They are stupid.

Reactions: zipp
When all else fails, play the fan card. And I've still got Tyra's voice mail and cell number on my phone. Penned him a letter over a month ago. What have you done lately?
Actually the evidence shows that zipp has somewhat slowed down his “criticisms” of Vince Tyra. I could be wrong as I’ve been wrong before but I don’t think so. Irregardless none of us, including zipp, know who our next AD will be. I am surprised that a “search firm” has been employed to find candidates for the AD position. They shouldn’t have a problem getting candidates for a $100K per month gig. And that includes of course, Mr. Tyra. The “interim” idiots are, as expected, getting things bass-ass backwards in their attempt to fill positions before they find a new president. They are stupid...
gocards, save your effort. knuckles doesn't wanna hear that I've expressed anything but hate for Tyra. Doesn't suit his agenda.

And for the record, who brought up Tyra's name in this thread?...

When all else fails, play the fan card. And I've still got Tyra's voice mail and cell number on my phone. Penned him a letter over a month ago. What have you done lately?

gocards, save your effort. knuckles doesn't wanna hear that I've expressed anything but hate for Tyra. Doesn't suit his agenda.

And for the record, who brought up Tyra's name in this thread?...

In your letter to him, did you call him a scumbag?

In your letter to him, did you call him a scumbag?
Did you want me to communicate anything of substance to him? I'll post the letter here if you wanna see what I said.

I'll ask again, what have you done lately?...

Did you want me to communicate anything of substance to him? I'll post the letter here if you wanna see what I said.

I’m letting him do his job before I pass judgment. You were pretty quick to call him a scumbag.

I’m letting him do his job before I pass judgment. You were pretty quick to call him a scumbag.
IOW you've done nothing which is the basis for your criticism here.

You need to start a zipp-jumping-to-conclusions thread, and I'll be glad to deep dive Tyra. This thread's about McCrite, Jurich, and your attempt to hijack the subject.

IOW you've done nothing which is the basis for your criticism here.

You need to start a zipp-jumping-to-conclusions thread, and I'll be glad to deep dive Tyra. This thread's about McCrite, Jurich, and your attempt to hijack the subject.

Ok, I’ll write him a letter. “Vince, continue to do your job and we will assess your performance once you’ve had some time. Sorry if certain fans called you a scumbag. It’s unfortunate.”

Tyra got brought into this thread because your motive is to deflect any responsibility for TJ’s dismissal to anyone but TJ. In doing so, you are trying to undermine those that follow him. It is unfortunate that someone you thought so highly of was fired and that someone you loathe was hired on an interim basis. However Jurich did actually have some flaws and it is in our best interests as fans to let Tyra do his job.

The issue is radio clowns like the three in this thread trying to impugn the guy's legacy.

The only thing that "impugn's the guy's legacy" is an embarrassing scandal with the face of UL athletics in basketball only to be followed up with another scandal with the same program.

Who gives a crap what the media guys say. They were too scared to speak while TJ was still here and now they're speaking up. That's weak in my opinion.

Am I the only one that really wants to see this letter?

...Tyra got brought into this thread because your motive is to deflect any responsibility for TJ’s dismissal to anyone but TJ. In doing so, you are trying to undermine those that follow him. It is unfortunate that someone you thought so highly of was fired and that someone you loathe was hired on an interim basis. However Jurich did actually have some flaws and it is in our best interests as fans to let Tyra do his job.
Nice 3rd party deflection... YOU brought up Tyra because you couldn't bear a thread defending Jurich's legacy from a media lightweight feeding into your hate.

Start a man-of-the-year Tyra thread if you wanna have that discussion with me... I look forward to it, but you won't dare.

Nice 3rd party deflection... YOU brought up Tyra because you couldn't bear a thread defending Jurich's legacy from a media lightweight feeding into your hate.

Start a man-of-the-year Tyra thread if you wanna have that discussion with me... I look forward to it, but you won't dare.

I’m guessing no one had read or would’ve read the article until you brought it up. You either read the most obscure stuff, or posting the article gave you another avenue to push your agenda.

Reactions: ULarder
I’m guessing no one had read or would’ve read the article until you brought it up. You either read the most obscure stuff, or posting the article gave you another avenue to push your agenda.
It's not about one "obscure article"... It's about poor little media guys looking for a lucky break were it not for the power and vindictiveness of the Mighty Jurich. Is that how you like the context, knuckles? Enough of a hate theme in there??...

From article:

"After more sparring, I walked out of that meeting knowing that I wasn’t going to be the host of a show..."

So he was 'sparring' with the AD who was concerned about how he constantly presented his underachieving coach - as if the AD did not know of the issues. How incredibly dumb is this guy.

But the article does point out what has been pointed by many others - that Jurich put the interest of U of L first in his dealings. And that appears to the be case here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT