ADVERTISEMENT

Weather this weekend

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
Two on Friday or two on Sunday? Anybody think we're playing Saturday with snow on the ground and highs of 27 degrees?😱

Unless you really have to, you try to avoid the doubleheader on Sunday because of travel accommodations. Unless you make the 2nd game 7 innings.

Unless you really have to, you try to avoid the doubleheader on Sunday because of travel accommodations. Unless you make the 2nd game 7 innings.
Do you think they will even be able to play Saturday if we get 2 inches of snow Friday night? If not,maybe they try to play 2 on Friday.

Bad weather isn't supposed to start on Friday until later in the day. Start game one at noon, then see how game 2 goes. Saturday is likely a no go. Not great Sunday, either, but sunny and windy, dinger weather.

Bad weather isn't supposed to start on Friday until later in the day. Start game one at noon, then see how game 2 goes. Saturday is likely a no go. Not great Sunday, either, but sunny and windy, dinger weather.
So they've already moved up the Friday game.Thanks

I plan to be there Friday, since the forecast improved, so if they change the time I hope they get the word out early enough. Looks like temps on Sat have improved slightly. May e they think Sat is playable. I hated playing when it was cold - sucked.

Do you think they will even be able to play Saturday if we get 2 inches of snow Friday night? If not,maybe they try to play 2 on Friday.
Yeah if they think snow or bad weather on Friday night, then 2 on Friday. I don’t think snow will accumulate because ground will be too warm and it will melt. However if it gets below 32 ice is a concern.

Great start. 3 up, 3 down. Temp isn’t too bad. Supposed to cool down later in the afternoon.

Bardman you see 👀 that play by Usher?
Defensive play of the season so far. That was a homer.
Wow!!

Too bad the weather has turned; doesn’t seem like our guys are dialed in. Pitching and defense once again subpar so far in game 2.

Apparently we cannot play worth a darn when it's snowing. It doesn't appear to bother Michigan at all. Of course mother nature has to end the Cards 7 game winning streak.

This is a comedy of errors (and walks). Just BAD baseball in game two.

I have never seen anything like this inning and I've be watching baseball for 30 years. College or pro. This game should have been shut down. No reason to play in these conditions. Tomorrow the only snow would be already on the ground. It would be cold but better than this nonsense.

This is the weather Ann Arbor sees all the way up into April; as it sure had no affect on the UM kids. If this 2nd game was the first time that we saw our relievers struggling to find the strike zone, I would quickly blame it on the weather. Regrettably, that is far from the reality. I know Roger Williams has a reputation as one of the best in college baseball, but at some point he has to be responsible for preparing our rotation to find and stay in the strike zone. Unearned runs!

This is the weather Ann Arbor sees all the way up into April; as it sure had no affect on the UM kids. If this 2nd game was the first time that we saw our relievers struggling to find the strike zone, I would quickly blame it on the weather. Regrettably, that is far from the reality. I know Roger Williams has a reputation as one of the best in college baseball, but at some point he has to be responsible for preparing our rotation to find and stay in the strike zone. Unearned runs!
Walks scoring are not unearned runs. Errors are unearned runs which the Cards had a few during that 10 run inning in a blizzard.

We've had issues with the bullpen recently for sure,but that inning yesterday when they batted God-knows-how many guys seemed like deja vu from a game either last year or the Covid year when nobody out of the pen could throw a strike.
At least I felt like deja vu. Might have to do a little digging.

Technically you are correct Realville, the walks are not scored officially as “unearned”, and from the offensive side, it is clearly earned by the batter‘s plate discipline. However, as it applies to this exchange about UL baseball, and from the perspective of our pitchers, it should be clear that our opponents have not earned so many of their runs.

Anyone watching baseball, particularly UL right now, can see the inability to find and maintain control in the strike zone, is providing our opponents an unearned gift.

Reactions: Bardman
Fwiw,I think there will be some guys emerge out of a group of 16-18 guys as solid contributors from the bullpen.
I thought I saw one yesterday when Schmeltz looked like the guy we've been waiting to see since he got here out of high school. In a game that was all but determined,he had a very respectable line against the heart of that Michigan lineup. He looked much improved just since his last appearance.
Lots of young arms and a few of the vets like Seed get their opportunities these next two to become part of the core of pitchers that help compete for an ACC championship.
Looks like probably Moose and Seed starting Tuesday and Wednesday.

Fwiw,I think there will be some guys emerge out of a group of 16-18 guys as solid contributors from the bullpen.
I thought I saw one yesterday when Schmeltz looked like the guy we've been waiting to see since he got here out of high school. In a game that was all but determined,he had a very respectable line against the heart of that Michigan lineup. He looked much improved just since his last appearance.
Lots of young arms and a few of the vets like Seed get their opportunities these next two to become part of the core of pitchers that help compete for an ACC championship.
Looks like probably Moose and Seed starting Tuesday and Wednesday.
I think I heard one of the announcers say we have already seen 20+ pitchers at some point this early in the season. I say Dan and Roger are giving everyone an opportunity.

Reactions: Bardman and earsky
I think I heard one of the announcers say we have already seen 20+ pitchers at some point this early in the season. I say Dan and Roger are giving everyone an opportunity.
Yeah and we just need to see guys that can be depended upon.

Technically you are correct Realville, the walks are not scored officially as “unearned”, and from the offensive side, it is clearly earned by the batter‘s plate discipline. However, as it applies to this exchange about UL baseball, and from the perspective of our pitchers, it should be clear that our opponents have not earned so many of their runs.

Anyone watching baseball, particularly UL right now, can see the inability to find and maintain control in the strike zone, is providing our opponents an unearned gift.
It's difficult to judge in February and early March when the weather is cold. Pitching is much better with a warm hand as a feeling of the ball is required for success, especially with breaking pitches.

I think there's several above average arms in the bullpen and I'm not as concerned with the pitching as I am the defense, especially the left side of the infield.

I think the hitting is going to be this teams strength and if Usher continues his success, the Cards could be the best offense in the ACC.

I think McDonnell is hesitant to jinx Usher by moving him up to the leadoff spot, but the team would be better if he does.

Usher
Knap
Metzinger
Rushing
Masterman
Payton
Hump
Bianco
Beard

This could be a awesome lineup. My expectations from the first games to now have changed mightily. If the starting pitching gets ironed out who the top 3 are, this should be another 40+ win season.

Last edited:
I could see adjusting Usher’s spot in the lineup…not to leadoff though. Knap has been stellar at lead off. Good plate discipline, hits the ball and can steal a base.

Reactions: nccardfan
I could see adjusting Usher’s spot in the lineup…not to leadoff though. Knap has been stellar at lead off. Good plate discipline, hits the ball and can steal a base.
Knap is a perfect #2 hitter because of those traits. Usher's traits are best at lead off. Had Usher been coming off a good last season, he would have started this season at the lead-off spot with Knap at #2.

Knap is a perfect #2 hitter because of those traits. Usher's traits are best at lead off. Had Usher been coming off a good last season, he would have started this season at the lead-off spot with Knap at #2.
They’re both top of the lineup guys but Coach Mac has Knap at leadoff and I’ll go with that decision. He knows a thing or two about baseball.

They’re both top of the lineup guys but Coach Mac has Knap at leadoff and I’ll go with that decision. He knows a thing or two about baseball.
Like I said, he's superstitious like virtually all baseball players and coaches are. He isn't going to make the change during this winning stretch, but a lineup change sometime during the season is likely if Usher continues his good play.

It's a very good problem to have when there's two lead off hitters a manager can feel confident with. Knapp is a perfect #2 hitter with his bat control. McDonnell knows it too.

We'll see. If Usher slumps again then there's zero chance he moves to the lead off spot.

Like I said, he's superstitious like virtually all baseball players and coaches are. He isn't going to make the change during this winning stretch, but a lineup change sometime during the season is likely if Usher continues his good play.

It's a very good problem to have when there's two lead off hitters a manager can feel confident with. Knapp is a perfect #2 hitter with his bat control. McDonnell knows it too.

We'll see. If Usher slumps again then there's zero chance he moves to the lead off spot.
Has more to do with if Knap slumps at leadoff, then you make a change

Has more to do with if Knap slumps at leadoff, then you make a change
Yeah,and if you listen to his comments post game with Moth yesterday,he alludes to this point as if he feels what people are saying after Usher's ACC player-of-the week performance. He's not gonna mess with the 1-2 punch right now.
It's fun to think about the possibilities of a more productive Usher in the front end of that lineup,but it's not happening anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT