ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia in the NCAA Tournament

SeaCard

1500+
Mar 15, 2003
Will this be the year that they don't flame out? They have been just 4 times in the last 17 years with last years sweet 16 exit being their best in that time period.

Originally posted by SeaCard:
Will this be the year that they don't flame out? They have been just 4 times in the last 17 years with last years sweet 16 exit being their best in that time period.
They haven't had a great deal of success but they haven't had a great coach in the same time frame either. Now they do. UVA is as well coached as any team in division 1 basketball. Coaching means a lot to a program.

I'm predicting that again won't make it out of the sweet 16 and may even lose to the 8/9 seed in the 2nd round. I know everyone loves their defense but I haven't been impressed with them at all. At least not enough to think they will make a final 4. They will be one of my upset picks in my office brackets.

Yeah I'm with you 80,86. I think the Hoos are the most ripe for an upset among the #1 seeds.

Give them credit, they have ground out alot of ugly wins this year, but I just don't think they can score enough to win a game in which the other team gets hot - which we all know will happen. The other schools in contention for #1 seeds (UK, Duke, Zona, Wisky) have reliable scorers that can answer the bell when needed. I just don't see that with Virginia. I think Gonzaga gets clipped on the first weekend too, but I don't see them as having any chance at a 1 seed after the loss to BYU.

Virginia is a bit too disciplined to lose that early, but I think Sweet 16 is the glass ceiling for this bunch. This whole "play nothing but defense and never score" crap doesn't really lead to much tourney success. Right now someone like Oklahoma is a possible 4 seed along with maybe Utah, and I can see either team taking out UVA.

Seriously,who's proven to be better?Other than the best team in the history of basketball.

That's a good point earsky. I don't know - they just don't pass the eye test to me. I know that sounds stupid for a team that is 29-1. They just don't look like a serious FF contender to me. Of course I'm not an expert. I guess we will see. :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT