ADVERTISEMENT

The Reason Ralph Willard Is Back

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
A year later, with six newcomers and eight returning but inexperienced players, it was a better time for Willard to come back to U of L. With Pitino and U of L assistant Mike Balado splitting their time this summer between the Cards and the Puerto Rican national team and Johnson carrying a heavy recruiting load, Willard will essentially serve as a second head coach back in Louisville.

Both Pitino and Willard expect this to be a one-year gig. Willard signed a contract through next June, a deal that gives him enough time, in his estimation, to do what he does best.

He will help prepare Louisville for its August trip to Puerto Rico, where the Cardinals will play a series of exhibitions against the Puerto Rican national team.

He will help the four freshmen -- Deng Adel, Ryan McMahon, Donovan Mitchell and Ray Spalding -- acclimate to Pitino's system, and try to quickly teach the two graduate transfers, Damion Lee and Trey Lewis, everything they need to know for their one year at Louisville.

"I think there's going to have to be a lot of teaching, which is one of the reasons Rick brought me here," Willard said.

Reactions: beasleythecard
Does anybody know why the NCAA restricts the number of assistants to 3 for college basketball?

Would love to know why....
Would also love to have Ralph around for coach P`s remaining years.

Reactions: pervisl
A year later, with six newcomers and eight returning but inexperienced players, it was a better time for Willard to come back to U of L. With Pitino and U of L assistant Mike Balado splitting their time this summer between the Cards and the Puerto Rican national team and Johnson carrying a heavy recruiting load, Willard will essentially serve as a second head coach back in Louisville.

Both Pitino and Willard expect this to be a one-year gig. Willard signed a contract through next June, a deal that gives him enough time, in his estimation, to do what he does best.

He will help prepare Louisville for its August trip to Puerto Rico, where the Cardinals will play a series of exhibitions against the Puerto Rican national team.

He will help the four freshmen -- Deng Adel, Ryan McMahon, Donovan Mitchell and Ray Spalding -- acclimate to Pitino's system, and try to quickly teach the two graduate transfers, Damion Lee and Trey Lewis, everything they need to know for their one year at Louisville.

"I think there's going to have to be a lot of teaching, which is one of the reasons Rick brought me here," Willard said.
Hopefully instruction on shooting free throws will be a top priority.

Does anybody know why the NCAA restricts the number of assistants to 3 for college basketball?

Would love to know why....
Would also love to have Ralph around for coach P`s remaining years.

I would suspect its to try to keep the playing field level. There is such a disparity in what the power 5 conferences could spend vs other schools.. You would have an escalation of the number of coaches. Every one would feel they had to keep up with the others. The first time someone hired a 4th coach everyone(that could afford to) would hire a 4th coach. and on and on.

I would suspect its to try to keep the playing field level. There is such a disparity in what the power 5 conferences could spend vs other schools.. You would have an escalation of the number of coaches. Every one would feel they had to keep up with the others. The first time someone hired a 4th coach everyone(that could afford to) would hire a 4th coach. and on and on.

I was thinking the same. I'm sure the bigger schools might get a small team of assistant coaches for recruiting advantages/purposes etc. which would get out of hand eventually.

Ive had a day or two to think about the question. It makes sence to help keep the playing field as even as possible for the smaller schools.

I would love it if Ralph stayed around in some capacity just to be close to his buddy Rick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT