ADVERTISEMENT

ULAA Buyout Math...

the artist FKA zipp

4500+
Gold Member
May 29, 2022
A question was posed to me recently about the buyouts U of L has paid since 2017. I’d done the analysis in the aftermath of the regime takeover to properly account for the net cost to athletic department finances. That comment makes more sense when I describe the process.

As everyone knows, buyouts are often not lump sum payouts esp. when a contract specifies how it’s paid. And when they involved a replacement hire, the U of L buyouts were typically accompanied by a savings component: the hire of a replacement at a lower salary. I’ll first list the buyouts, salaries where applicable, and the relevant time frames…

Athletic Director

Jurich (salary $2.76 million) replaced by Tyra ($0.85 million) and paid a buyout of $7.17 million spanning the years 2018 through 2026.

Football Coaches

Petrino ($3.98 million) replaced by Satterfield ($3.25 million) and paid a buyout of $14.48 million over the years 2019 through 2021.
Petrino’s assistants paid a combined $4.01 million in buyouts spanning 2019 through 2021.

Basketball Coaches

Pitino ($5.50 million) replaced by Padgett ($0.80 million) for 2018, no buyout.
Padgett ($0.80 million) replaced by Mack ($4.00 million) from 2018.
U of L paid Xavier $4.00 million to buy out Mack in 2018.

Stadium Naming Rights

Schnatter was paid $9.50 million as a buyout over the years 2020 through 2024.
L&N Credit Union pays ULAA $2.00 million annually as the new sponsor starting in 2023.

It’s believed that Schnatter’s buyout was delayed from the original schedule of 2020-2024. There’s also no allowance for the Pitino assistant coaches’ buyouts.

The net payment of buyouts compared to salary savings that resulted was the true cost to ULAA to buy out coaches and the various contracts. Buyouts involved an initial expense that was gradually recouped as lower salaries were paid to the replacement employees.

Even though the gross amount of buyouts, by my calculation, exceeded $35 million, the maximum net cost U of L had ever amassed was slightly under $15 million (in 2022) because of the salary savings and the fact that buyouts were usually paid over time. The following table and graph illustrate this point. By the end of 2025, ULAA’s net position will be restored to zero or where it should have been had the original buyouts and employee turnover never occurred.

Cumul-Buyouts-Salary-Redns.jpg

Last edited:
By the way, from the table and graph, you see that in 2024 we're down about $6 million in our net position attributable to the buyouts...

Last edited:
Did Tyra get a bump after being named permanent AD, or was 0.85 mil the salary after that?

Also, are bonuses paid for performance (Satt did make a couple bowl games) included?

Thanks.

By the way, from the table and graph, you see that in 2024 we're down about $6 million in our net position attributable to the buyouts...
OH well it's not my money. UL needs to make the change and do it soon. Nobody gives a crap about the money other than you. Plus we all know the buyout won't be paid by UL.

MAKE THE CHANGE UL or lose a generation of basketball fans

Last edited:
OH well it's not my money. UL needs to make the change and do it soon. Nobody gives a crap about the money other than you and your "save tom" sign and buddy.

Anyone who doesn’t “give a crap” about money has no understanding what the lack of it is causing you. Money is what helps you make the change you’re talking about.

And this administration has already chucked thousands of fans. You’ll never see capacity crowds consistently in the arena again…

Did Tyra get a bump after being named permanent AD, or was 0.85 mil the salary after that?

Also, are bonuses paid for performance (Satt did make a couple bowl games) included?

Thanks.
I didn’t closely track thousands when millions were in play. Tyra did once or twice forsake increases and bonuses when he was eligible for them…

Why did the ULAA pay Jurich’s buyout given his title was the Vice President of Athletics, reporting to the UofL President?

Anyone who doesn’t “give a crap” about money has no understanding what the lack of it is causing you. Money is what helps you make the change you’re talking about.

And this administration has already chucked thousands of fans. You’ll never see capacity crowds consistently in the arena again…

The money for the buyout will be there it's just not coming from UL. And yes, I don't give a crap. It's not my money.

Reactions: RealStateBird
Money for these buyouts has never come from anywhere but athletics.

So you're saying something will happen for the first time. Good luck with that...

The money for the buyout will come from a booster. But regarding the other buyouts....again I don't care. Not my money. Want me to make graphs and charts to show you how much I don't care??

The money for the buyout will come from a booster. But regarding the other buyouts....again I don't care. Not my money. Want me to make graphs and charts to show you how much I don't care??
Your money ain't an issue. The money for Payne will not come from a mystery "booster." If you knew anything about how U of L finances its buyouts, you could have an intelligent discussion on the subject...

Your money ain't an issue. The money for Payne will not come from a mystery "booster." If you knew anything about how U of L finances its buyouts, you could have an intelligent discussion on the subject...
You can believe me or not.....I don't care. His buyout will be covered by someone in the community.

Money definitely matters but it isn’t going to stop KP from being terminated. It may impact the list of coaches that they can go after. The question for me if the right guy is hired what is the positive impact to revenue? Colorado mortgage their future to get Deion. It appears to have worked initially. That is what Louisville is going to have to do to turn this around or they have to bargain shop i.e. Will Wade is a legit wildcard but the dude can coach and he knows how to make big ass offers.

OH well it's not my money. UL needs to make the change and do it soon. Nobody gives a crap about the money other than you. Plus we all know the buyout won't be paid by UL.

I'm with you 100%. The University's finances are not my problem. It was embarrassing at best the way the long time regime celebrated and trumpeted every nickel they brought in and held pressers just to say "look at me, I'm rich!".
Kinda like the Government... wow, look at our surplus! (Been a while, though some states pull it off) Who's damn money do you think you actually have dips**ts? OH yeah, it's the idiots that you are bragging to. It's more of their(our) money. Thanks for slapping me in the face to tell me how much of my money you've been able to take. I'm supposed to be happy you've managed to take more of my money? GTFOH

Making athletics enjoyable is up to the university, and I could care less how difficult it is. But if you can't make it happen, I, and many many others won't be around to give you more of my(our) money.

I'm with you 100%. The University's finances are not my problem. It was embarrassing at best the way the long time regime celebrated and trumpeted every nickel they brought in and held pressers just to say "look at me, I'm rich!".
Kinda like the Government... wow, look at our surplus! (Been a while, though some states pull it off) Who's damn money do you think you actually have dips**ts? OH yeah, it's the idiots that you are bragging to. It's more of their(our) money. Thanks for slapping me in the face to tell me how much of my money you've been able to take. I'm supposed to be happy you've managed to take more of my money? GTFOH

Making athletics enjoyable is up to the university, and I could care less how difficult it is. But if you can't make it happen, I, and many many others won't be around to give you more of my(our) money.
Unless you have some good examples otherwise, you're totally offbase about "the longtime regime." Here's a few examples...

Conference revenues. None of the $40+ million annually that we receive from the ACC came out of any U of L fans' pockets. This athletic department would cease to exist without those funds in 2024.

Adidas contract. Another $15 million or so annually that no fan contributes to. Seven years later, that contract still LEADS THE NATION in terms of its revenue and product stream to a single university.

Big donors. We used to fill suites, loge seats, and capital accounts with well heeled donors and their money. Joe Sixpack had nothing to do with that part of the fanbase.

These alone account for HALF of U of L athletics revenue today.

Big donors are mostly gone as the apparel contract will be in several years. And the new regime can't raise money to do or build anything. This is apparently what you would rather see...

Unless you have some good examples otherwise, you're totally offbase about "the longtime regime." Here's a few examples...

Conference revenues. None of the $40+ million annually that we receive from the ACC came out of any U of L fans' pockets. This athletic department would cease to exist without those funds in 2024.

Adidas contract. Another $15 million or so annually that no fan contributes to. Seven years later, that contract still LEADS THE NATION in terms of its revenue and product stream to a single university.

Big donors. We used to fill suites, loge seats, and capital accounts with well heeled donors and their money. Joe Sixpack had nothing to do with that part of the fanbase.

Big donors are mostly gone as the apparel contract will be in several years. And the new regime can't raise money to do or build anything. This is apparently what you would rather see...

The renegotiation of the Adidas contact will be a very interesting thing to watch. Hopefully the basketball program is back to some level of respectability by that time.

This makes no sense. Jurich was an employee of the University. Was his salary paid by the University or by ULAA?
I don't agree that it doesn't make sense. Everyone at U of L is "an employee of the University."

And it really doesn't matter, it's just how you want to account (pay) for it. U of L chose to debit the cost of Jurich's buyout through the ULAA. So that's how we're doing it.

At this point, U of L/ULAA has pocketed money buying out Jurich and employing Tyra and Heird. Whoopee...

Big donors are mostly gone as the apparel contract will be in several years. And the new regime can't raise money to do or build anything. This is apparently what you would rather see..

Are you suggesting you are the lone fan who's ticket cost went down during the long time regime? Or are you suggesting they didn't call press conferences to boast/announce how much money they had secured from different sources?

I find it hard to believe you would suggest that fan support & $$ arent directly tied to the amounts from Adidas and the TV networks and rights (ACC).
Big donors are a combination of fans and corporate partners with interests of their own- read fans of those wishing to appeal to fans.

We agree there are people who's job it is to find revenue to keep the program relevant and that it must be done, I'm just not interested in how difficult it is to do it. Do it, or risk the further slide to irrelevance, losing many a Joe Sixpack in the process.

Are you suggesting you are the lone fan who's ticket cost went down during the long time regime? Or are you suggesting they didn't call press conferences to boast/announce how much money they had secured from different sources?...
I don't buy basketball season tickets anymore. The last five years of "the longtime regime," my per-ticket price for football in the B&W Club went from $54 to $67, an annualized increase of 4.4%. My price for the 2024 season will be $99.17 for the same ticket, an annualized increase of 10.3% since 2017 under the current regime.

Those guys used to call frequent press conferences to tout their fundraising accomplishments as the current regime would do if they could raise money. I just gave you big examples that had nothing to do with money from you and me.
...I find it hard to believe you would suggest that fan support & $$ arent directly tied to the amounts from Adidas and the TV networks and rights (ACC)...
The broadcast networks and Adidas get paid back on their expenses from people buying their product. That's a choice we have, not a cost that's imposed. And it doesn't come directly from U of L fans regardless of how it's paid.

You're reaching a helluva lot, and flat out wrong when it comes to ticket prices then and now...

Why are we having this discussion? They will figure out the money issue and next coach or they won’t. It is clear they figured out how to pay for the buyouts. The net expense after 2024 for buyouts will be about the same or lower until 2028 depending on who they hire.

How about discussing the actual viable candidates their buyouts and salary based off your data?

Goes back to if they hire the right guy. What is that impact? Louisville basketball doesn’t have to generate 40M like it used to because of football. They may have to restructure the entire pricing structure.

I’m not getting an answer to this question in another thread, so I’ll try here. These questions are directed to The Artist:
1. Is revenue from the basketball program down, vs where it was under coach Mack (take COVID into account)?
2. Is revenue from men’s basketball likely to improve if attendance improves?
3. Is it likely that attendance would improve if the team was winning (or at least more competitive)?
4. Is it likely, given a significant sample size of about 40 games, that coach Payne will produce a better product?
5. If buying out coach Payne and hiring a new (more expensive) coach would improve attendance (through improved performance) would this balance, or soften the blow, of the costs associated with the move?

Please just answer the questions if you can. Avoid tangents about “the current regime”. These calculations must be done by Hierd with an eye not just short term, but long term with respect to Adidas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT