ADVERTISEMENT

The MYTH that UK is "closer" to U of L after last year's game

Only in a UahK fan's mind. And oh yeah we are absolutely your measuring stick. If we aren't, who is? Vandy? WKU? None of us are stupid enough--unlike your fans--to think you won't win again in this series, but my god when you do, you rubes will be insufferable

How bout the Sec, you know that conference we play in. That's the measuring stick. Competing in the sec is more important than beating Louisville. We've beaten Louisville and not been competitive in the sec. I'm pretty sure if we can compete I. The sec Louisville will be an after thought.

For someone that doesn't care what I have to say, you sure do......care what I have to say. Stick to basketball. Football isn't your thing
Sure it is, so much so I've gotten under your skin. You've said nothing about how Louisville is going to be better this year, all you've done is trash UK.
You're a straw man rolled up in a red herring, in the middle of a catch 22, you got nothin

We probably won't be better. That make you happy? See I know football and don't spew the same "this is our year" "bigger, faster stronger" nonsense that you all spew year after year after year after year. And yeah you aren't under my skin. Don't flatter yourself. I just find you shockingly unintelligent, mildly annoying and highly entertaining.

UL isn't the measuring stick, not even as badly as you want it to be. I would gladly trade a Loss to Louisville if in the same year UK finished in the top half of the sec.
Sure I have hope, given the improvement in stoops 2 years, the level of recruiting improving, the buy in from the administration. You're damn right I have hope. But it's not misguided hope, there's reason for it.
I'd be worried too if I were a Louisville fan, it's ok. I think the teams will go back and forth in the future.
Bill, for decades UK has had the advantage. Land grant school, SEC membership, more money than they knew what to do with. Well they knew what to do with it, they put it into everything basketball. Your poor football fan base have wandered through the dessert for decades like Moses looking for the promised land. Twenty years ago, little ole UofL hired a Big thinking AD in Tom Jurich who ran with the universities dream of becoming a major player in all sports and he along with Jim Ramsey as President took this little comuter school and turned it into one of the Best college sports towns in America. People laughed when he hung that banner on the Silo's in the early 2000's but sure enough, regardless of what the Wildcat faithful think it has happened and is the main reason we find ourselves in the ACC. It's ironic that with the announcement of Louisville to the ACC, the UK braintrust miraculously announced plans to renovate Commonwealth Stadium. It should have been done years ago because like it or not, outside of Vandy, it was the worse stadium in the SEC. You should thank UofL for raising the bar in this state and finally getting your administration off their asses to at least attempt to make you relevant in your own league. Don't worry about us, we know how to win and will continue to do so.

I'm not selling Louisville short, I know they've done well. But UK renovated commonwealth in the late 90's. And it wasn't the worst stadium, and that's coming from UT fans I work with.

Let's not kid ourselves that UK hasn't been instrumental in Louisvilles rise too.
There was absolutely nothing for UK to gain by playing Louisville, nothing.
We win, well we're supposed too. We lose and Louisville gains notoriety of beating a sec school. With that said, Louisville took advantage of the situation, and UK didn't.

But none of us can change what's happened, it is what it is. The mindset of well they've always lost so it's never going to change is a losers mentality.
I don't give a hoot WHY UK is suddenly dumping money in football, all I'm thankful for is that are.

I'm sorry you take it as an insult that I think UK and Louisville are a lot closer than you do. It wasn't meant as an insult. Nor to belittle Louisville.

Winning is all that matters I suppose

Just for fun I looked at the final sagarin ratings for last year. I only went to the top 30 because it shows the pic clearly.

UK played 7 teams in the top 30, they lost all of them, but Louisville played 3 they lost all of them as well. 2 of them handily.
The 2 teams played a close game to end the season, Louisville was a better team no doubt, but UK IS closing that gap, to say otherwise is to hope rather than fact.
And yet UL is not in SEC, but has a better record vs. SEC teams than UK in last 3 years

My God in heaven! I get so tired of hearing that "nothing to gain" "we're supposed to win because we are in the SEC" bs! It's bunk; pure bunk. We were a better program than you beginning with about 1990. You really had zero to do with the rise of this program. Yeah we destroyed Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl but UK, an SEC team in name only, is supposed to win because......SEC. You obviously do not have one solitary original thought on these subjects.

I'm not selling Louisville short, I know they've done well. But UK renovated commonwealth in the late 90's. And it wasn't the worst stadium, and that's coming from UT fans I work with.

Let's not kid ourselves that UK hasn't been instrumental in Louisvilles rise too.
We win, well we're supposed too. We lose and Louisville gains notoriety of beating a sec school. With that said, Louisville took advantage of the situation, and UK didn't.

But none of us can change what's happened, it is what it is. The mindset of well they've always lost so it's never going to change is a losers mentality.
I don't give a hoot WHY UK is suddenly dumping money in football, all I'm thankful for is that are.

I'm sorry you take it as an insult that I think UK and Louisville are a lot closer than you do. It wasn't meant as an insult. Nor to belittle Louisville.

And Papa Johns will be renovated once again and it's not because UK has done it again. Big Time college athletics is an arms race and our facilities need to rival the teams in our league to be able to recruit the athletes to compete. I'm glad your school has finally taken the initiative to do the same in football as well.

There's your little dig. Like I said, I don't know why you're here or why you aren't banned. But yeah we didn't gain notoriety beating teams like Bama. No we only gained name recognition by beating mighty UK. Do you even think prior to spewing this diarrhea?

I guess UK should not have played Western twice in last 4 years...in knocked UK to 3rd in state.

And yet UL is not in SEC, but has a better record vs. SEC teams than UK in last 3 years

And if you actually count UK as the Sec we have more Sec wins in 5 Sec games (4-1) than UK has in 24 games (2-22). That's actually 2x as many.

I disagree that UK had absolutely nothing to gain. At the time I remember a lot of talk about Curry and Howard wanting to have this series to improve High School football in the state. Making the football game between UofL and UK a big priority would get more of an emphasis on Football at the HS level. I think this effort was successful as we've seen some truly great players come out of our High Schools and some even move on to the NFL.

In addition, the rivalry was televised on ESPN, a great opportunity for both programs.

I agree with you that obviously, UK did very little to capitalize on the rivalry. In fact, UK seems to go out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot. Moving the game off the first game of the season and ESPN coverage, to the 3rd game is one example. Instead of it being an opening weekend game for fans starved for any kind of real football, it was buried up against games like UT-UF and Oklahoma-Texas. That's all water under the bridge now, but just another example of UK ignoring the brass ring.

Reactions: Mayoman
And Papa Johns will be renovated once again and it's not because UK has done it again. Big Time college athletics is an arms race and our facilities need to rival the teams in our league to be able to recruit the athletes to compete. I'm glad your school has finally taken the initiative to do the same in football as well.

So UK only renovated because Louisville joined the ACC? But papa johns upcoming renovations have nothing to do with UK's renovations, sure.
You're right it is an arms race, and renovations are ongoing across almost every sec venue, that's why UK is renovating, that and the money was ear marked.

I disagree that UK had absolutely nothing to gain. At the time I remember a lot of talk about Curry and Howard wanting to have this series to improve High School football in the state. Making the football game between UofL and UK a big priority would get more of an emphasis on Football at the HS level. I think this effort was successful as we've seen some truly great players come out of our High Schools and some even move on to the NFL.

In addition, the rivalry was televised on ESPN, a great opportunity for both programs.

I agree with you that obviously, UK did very little to capitalize on the rivalry. In fact, UK seems to go out of their way to shoot themselves in the foot. Moving the game off the first game of the season and ESPN coverage, to the 3rd game is one example. Instead of it being an opening weekend game for fans starved for any kind of real football, it was buried up against games like UT-UF and Oklahoma-Texas. That's all water under the bridge now, but just another example of UK ignoring the brass ring.

I don't know why it started, I have a feeling it had more to do than improving high school football, but never the less UK had zero to gain from it.

The first game of the year nonsense was just that. It didn't matter when the game was. Louisville sure didn't mind it moving to the end of the year when it benefitted them did they?

I don't know why it started, I have a feeling it had more to do than improving high school football, but never the less UK had zero to gain from it.

The first game of the year nonsense was just that. It didn't matter when the game was. Louisville sure didn't mind it moving to the end of the year when it benefitted them did they?
Dont understand why uk fans like you hang on our boards seeking approval.

[QUOTE="Bill Derington, post: 76992, member: 3852"I have a feeling it had more to do than improving high school football, but never the less UK had zero to gain from it.

[/QUOTE]

An improvement of the quality of HS football in KY would have a direct impact on UK and UofL football programs.

How does UofL benefit from the game being moved to the end of the year? The narrative I always heard was the opening game benefitted UofL because it gave us all summer to game plan against our ONE big opponent vs UK having to game plan for the SEC grind.

Kentucky doesn't go bowling because of this game, I believe that is what big blue Bill is trying to relay to us. It stinks for them that Kragthorpe is gone.

Like Andy said in Shawshank- "Hope is a good thing"

Next year.

The year uk fans have looked forward to for the last 60.

Until the Midnight Madness agenda is released anyway. :rolleyes:

Just for fun I looked at the final sagarin ratings for last year. I only went to the top 30 because it shows the pic clearly.

UK played 7 teams in the top 30, they lost all of them, but Louisville played 3 they lost all of them as well. 2 of them handily.
The 2 teams played a close game to end the season, Louisville was a better team no doubt, but UK IS closing that gap, to say otherwise is to hope rather than fact.
If Petrino goes ahead and scores from the 1 instead of taking a knee UL wins by double digits and there is no talk of the gap closing. UL gave UK 23 points on TO's and UK still couldn't close the deal. The gap still looks like the Grand Canyon from here.

So UK only renovated because Louisville joined the ACC? But papa johns upcoming renovations have nothing to do with UK's renovations, sure.
You're right it is an arms race, and renovations are ongoing across almost every sec venue, that's why UK is renovating, that and the money was ear marked.
Bill, UofL had to scale back on it's original renovation thanks to the State Legislature sitting on their hands and not signing off on the project. By the time they finally did, costs had gone through the roof and the project was scaled back. This was all done way before the ACC was even on the horizon. To think UofL does anything to up UK is preposterous.

Reactions: Mayoman

How can you say with such authority the series didn't help UK when you admit you don't know why the series was started? How does UK not gain from improved High School football? A quick look at your roster, I counted 29 current players from KY High Schools.

It started to help High School football get better, which as IPartied pointed out, would help both UofL and UK since both teams recruit in their own state. Improved High School football focus in the state benefited both teams.

Louisville went along with moving the series to the end of the year out of conference loyalty, but the series was best for both teams as the first game. It appeared on ESPN when fans around the country were football starved after a long baseball summer. Appearing on ESPN in front of a national audience is a recruiting tool that Brooks and Barnhart threw away for their home game. It was a good recruiting tool for both teams.

Again, obviously, UK has tanked on benefiting from the series. They failed to capitalize on the advantages the series gave them, in fact doing what they could to stub their toes. A program doesn't get to UK's low level without systemic failures at all levels.

The fact that the SEC and ACC wanted it moved to the end of the season to be part of the leagues rivalry week was a good thing. UK either started the season with a loss or gets knocked out of bowl contention at the end of the season with a loss. It doesn't really matter to us.

UK has better talent in the younger classes. It will just take another year for it to show. UL still has good talent in the upper classes.

UK has better talent in the younger classes. It will just take another year for it to show. UL still has good talent in the upper classes.
I give Stoops all of the credit in the world for using his connections in Ohio to get some quality kids those first two years. However, our last class was better than yours and our current class is in the same category. UK had the benefit of offering immediate playing time those first two years. Seeing that the wins have still not materialized, it's getting harder to sell.

How can you say with such authority the series didn't help UK when you admit you don't know why the series was started? How does UK not gain from improved High School football? A quick look at your roster, I counted 29 current players from KY High Schools.

It started to help High School football get better, which as IPartied pointed out, would help both UofL and UK since both teams recruit in their own state. Improved High School football focus in the state benefited both teams.

Louisville went along with moving the series to the end of the year out of conference loyalty, but the series was best for both teams as the first game. It appeared on ESPN when fans around the country were football starved after a long baseball summer. Appearing on ESPN in front of a national audience is a recruiting tool that Brooks and Barnhart threw away for their home game. It was a good recruiting tool for both teams.

Again, obviously, UK has tanked on benefiting from the series. They failed to capitalize on the advantages the series gave them, in fact doing what they could to stub their toes. A program doesn't get to UK's low level without systemic failures at all levels.

The high school football improvement is a ruse. It hasn't helped high school football in the state anymore than if they never played. Football in the state has improved slightly due to more kids playing now compared to years past. And the level of interest nationally of football increasing.

I give Stoops all of the credit in the world for using his connections in Ohio to get some quality kids those first two years. However, our last class was better than yours and our current class is in the same category. UK had the benefit of offering immediate playing time those first two years. Seeing that the wins have still not materialized, it's getting harder to sell.

The wins did materialize Watson. They won 5 compared to 2 that's an increase. Now, the losing streak to end the season and no bowl game hurt recruiting last year no doubt about that. But also being in on so many kids that the big boys are after affects it as well. That's an area that previous staffs couldn't get to or chose not to.

Reactions: mwatson61
The high school football improvement is a ruse. It hasn't helped high school football in the state anymore than if they never played. Football in the state has improved slightly due to more kids playing now compared to years past. And the level of interest nationally of football increasing.

I disagree here Bill ... The rise of high school football has directly impacted high school basketball in the state. You can see a correlation when this series started, and the decline of Kentucky producing the number of high caliber basketball players at the next level. Especially in the city of Louisville, which used to produce a solid amount of high caliber hoops talent (Denny Crum used this to great advantage in the 70's, 80's and early 90's). Now it is RARE for the city of Louisville to produce a high division I-A college hoops player. But ... there is now a handful of football players each year that get looks from major football programs.

Stoops first year he went 0-10 against top 100 teams. Second year he went 1-7. They did get better, but the wins came mostly because the schedule got easier. The jury is still out on the Stoops improvement.

Stoops first year he went 0-10 against top 100 teams. Second year he went 1-7. They did get better, but the wins came mostly because the schedule got easier. The jury is still out on the Stoops improvement.

Why are we using the top 100? I only looked at the top 30 and UK played 7 teams in that range, I'd be willing to bet they played 9 or more in the top 50.
They have a brutal schedule each year, that's part of playing in the sec. But it makes it tough to make leaps and bounds in such a short time.

They won 2 sec games, that's nothing to write home about, but it's improvement.

Fair question.

Because UK had zero to gain from it. When the series started what benefit was there for UK? Like I said, they win, well they're supposed too, they lose and Louisville gets to put a notch in their cap of beating an sec team, the home state sec team.

The same reason Ohio st doesn't play Cincinnati every year or Tennessee doesn't play Memphis, there is nothing to gain by playing the game for them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT