ADVERTISEMENT

So, when is opening day

Cardiac Red

15000+
Gold Member
Mar 5, 2012
Between basketball and football this week I'm mentally drained.. When is our 1st game ?

Red - I am ready for baseball too but of all the sports I think baseball may be the one where we have a difficult time in the ACC.

Well, they are ranked #12 in the nation - for a reason. I think we have a very solid team coming in. Will they take a few more losses due to the competition - I would think so. Yet, this is a solid squad and will win a lot of games.

First game at home is 2/18 v. EKU. They open the season in Clearwater, FL vs. Alabama St, USF and Cal St. Fullerton. Games two and three will be tough.

Bardman,

Not trying to be disagreeable, but unlike the other major sports, rankings are so varied because there are so many and in college baseball and because they play so many games, it is difficult to say until postseason, who are really the top teams. I agree our recruiting has been awesome but it needs to carry over onto the field. Although Funkhouser was great, our other weekend starters last year were not as consistent due to injuries as the previous years. Burdi was great in the backend but our middle relievers were not. Sutton has got to hit better and it is going to be hard to replace 2 catchers, Jeff Gardner (HR's) and Sturgeon who was versatile in that he could hit and pitch and was also our leadoff guy.

We had some young guys like Solak, Ray and Lyman but in baseball, there are no guarantees that players can reproduce what they did the previous year. I hope they do. There is also a question mark at 1st base in my opinion. Not sure Rosenbaum is the answer.

Go Cards!

Really looking forward to the ACC schedule, I really like all our returning pieces, I think our pitching staff will be solid this year and carry us in a lot of games, as in all spprts, freshman are an unknown comodity until they actually get on the field and perform, but also like other sports the chances of their success are better with higher ranked recruits and we have some dandy's..

Hoping for aome good early season weather.

Originally posted by nccardfan:

Bardman,

Not trying to be disagreeable, but unlike the other major sports, rankings are so varied because there are so many and in college baseball and because they play so many games, it is difficult to say until postseason, who are really the top teams. I agree our recruiting has been awesome but it needs to carry over onto the field. Although Funkhouser was great, our other weekend starters last year were not as consistent due to injuries as the previous years. Burdi was great in the backend but our middle relievers were not. Sutton has got to hit better and it is going to be hard to replace 2 catchers, Jeff Gardner (HR's) and Sturgeon who was versatile in that he could hit and pitch and was also our leadoff guy.

We had some young guys like Solak, Ray and Lyman but in baseball, there are no guarantees that players can reproduce what they did the previous year. I hope they do. There is also a question mark at 1st base in my opinion. Not sure Rosenbaum is the answer.

Go Cards!
No worries. We all have our thoughts, opinions and more importantly hopes
3dgrin.r191677.gif

You are right - the ACC will be tough. That's why we'll see more losses. Yet, it may help keep their focus and they will have to learn you must bring your game everytime you step out on the field. Will Smith should step into the starting Catcher's role and he is pretty decent. 1st base - I agree - that could be a position of question. Pitching - Funk, Kidston, Rogers and Harrington - those four are really good pitchers and who knows what some of the other guys may bring to the table. Sparger may surprise and the FR McKay from PA should be a good one! Should be a fun ride.

Home opener is the 18th.

The 10-day weather forecast shows snow flurries two days before (the 16th).

Gotta love college baseball!! It's almost its own sport...

Originally posted by Bardman:

Well, they are ranked #12 in the nation - for a reason. I think we have a very solid team coming in. Will they take a few more losses due to the competition - I would think so. Yet, this is a solid squad and will win a lot of games.

First game at home is 2/18 v. EKU. They open the season in Clearwater, FL vs. Alabama St, USF and Cal St. Fullerton. Games two and three will be tough.
Any chance of catching some of this weekend's action live stream?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT