ADVERTISEMENT

Ramsey and Rutherford

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
They have both resigned from 93.9. I enjoyed listening to it. Will they turn up on 790? I've heard that there are some unhealthy dynamics going on amongst the local radio stations, the people that run them, and sports administration at UofL.

They have both resigned from 93.9. I enjoyed listening to it. Will they turn up on 790? I've heard that there are some unhealthy dynamics going on amongst the local radio stations, the people that run them, and sports administration at UofL.
The administration at UL is nothing to brag on. While and Ramsey and Rutherford are entertaining, at times the show rivals Matt Jones in arrogance.

What the sh!t?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very, very sorry to hear this news. I enjoyed listening to their show without a bunch of uk jackasses chiming in. I hope they turn up somewhere with the exact same format

If true, it may have something to do with the lawsuit by the alleged UK mole who helped break the "HO" story.

Reactions: FURYREVENGE4
Love John Ramsey. I didn't really care for the other guy. He seemed very arrogant. I always pictured him sipping a cup of tea with one pinky out while talking.

Hopefully Ramsey will land a show by himself or with someone different. He seems like a very genuine guy. He's a well known man in this city and I'm sure he'll get another show. He already works for Wave 3.

Seriously though, what the hell will we listen to now ? No way in hell would I listen to the other two, washed up, brain dead idiots on 790. There has to be another show to fill that drive home from work.

Seriously though, what the hell will we listen to now ? No way in hell would I listen to the other two, washed up, brain dead idiots on 790. There has to be another show to fill that drive home from work.

Jason Anderson is on 680. He is not a UofL homer, but is fair and highly knowledgeable of sports. He is probably the most true sportsman on local radio.

790 is a bunch of juvenile attempt at humor mixed with sports. Toss in uk topics and you have pure garbage.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Jason Anderson is on 680. He is not a UofL homer, but is fair and highly knowledgeable of sports. He is probably the most true sportsman on local radio.
Yelp i pretty much listen to him. Theirs another show that's on Wed nites 93.9 @ 630-8 U of L centric topics Scotty D has a show on Thurs nites 93.9 also. Yell i think that lawsuit crap mightve been the culprit .Doubt they go to bed with 790 their was some issues with them guys and RR also.

I am not sure what the true story is, but these guys did not resign without having a plan to show up elsewhere.

And they are probably limited by contractural obligations from discussing their future plans, if any. Plus I cannot imagine them leaving a "popular" spot without having somewhere else to go. We'll know something sooner rather than later.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I don't know where they could go at that time slot 680 JA has that sold up at that time . As is their rival's @ 790. Hopefully they will come to a resolution with espn 93.9 and get it worked out. Only other sports channel they could possibly move too @ that slot would be 1450Am

Reactions: jmac1029
Until Monday at 3 I'm not going to believe it. It could be a great April Fools joke. Doesn't make sense to me. Their topic Friday was April Fools jokes.

Until Monday at 3 I'm not going to believe it. It could be a great April Fools joke. Doesn't make sense to me. Their topic Friday was April Fools jokes.

It's not an April Fools joke.

Just a curious question for discussion - are you comfortable if the sports administration at UofL is involved in the workings of local radio? Should there be journalistic separation or should certain radio stations bwe intertwined with the university?

Just a curious question for discussion - are you comfortable if the sports administration at UofL is involved in the workings of local radio? Should there be journalistic separation or should certain radio stations bwe intertwined with the university?
790 has the exclusive rights to U of L . So i guess it's alot of politics being played out behind the scenes with 790 and espn 93.9

...Just a curious question for discussion - are you comfortable if the sports administration at UofL is involved in the workings of local radio? Should there be journalistic separation or should certain radio stations bwe intertwined with the university?
I don't really have a problem with U of L's undue influence because I know where that's headed. That is, a jackwagon like Maddie Bangs is not gonna start hosting a U of L program. There's probably no one or no platform that Jurich could pick that would alienate me.

Does it mean I'm getting pro-U of L info and discussion while listening? Sure. But I'm not listening for opposing POVs or info about other programs.

And I listen to 80% of my stuff by podcast, so it doesn't matter too much to me who is on the radio and at what time of day. Good luck to R&R if this is indeed true...

Reactions: gocds
I don't really have a problem with U of L's undue influence because I know where that's headed. That is, a jackwagon like Maddie Bangs is not gonna start hosting a U of L program. There's probably no one or no platform that Jurich could pick that would alienate me.

Does it mean I'm getting pro-U of L info and discussion while listening? Sure. But I'm not listening for opposing POVs or info about other programs.

And I listen to 80% of my stuff by podcast, so it doesn't matter too much to me who is on the radio and at what time of day. Good luck to R&R if this is indeed true...

Is that convenient at all ... the podcasts? I would miss the real time aspect.

Is that convenient at all ... the podcasts? I would miss the real time aspect.
Charlie, you're in the news business so that matters. Me, I can handle being a little behind the curve. (Which is where I am in life anyway!!)

Mostly commercial-free is also a huge advantage with podcasts. I really can't listen to Iheart programming in real time anymore incl. pre- and postgame shows. At least ESPN runs less ad time...

Deener on his show this morning said he was going to clarify the situation today on the resignations of John and Mike .. Deener is the espn louisville vice president so his word will definetly be the gospel.

Last edited:
And they are probably limited by contractural obligations from discussing their future plans, if any. Plus I cannot imagine them leaving a "popular" spot without having somewhere else to go. We'll know something sooner rather than later.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Probably later rather than sooner. Most radio personalities have a non-compete clause in their contract of at least 6 months.

On the other hand, apparently Howie made the jump right away, so must not have had a no-compete.

But frankly I expect both Ramsey and Rutherford are gone for good from the local radio scene. There's nowhere for them to go.

Deener said they gave him no reason for their resignation . They just emailed him and said they were done.

Deener and Luke Hancock are hosting from 3-6 PM today. Deener said more would be communicated then...

I liked that R&R was an unabashed Card show. They listened to reasonable Cat fans, but trapdoored the Kayuts. The FM broadcast is better than the AM 680 which has a weak signal. Anderson has a good show but I get tired of his quizzes.

Reactions: zipp
I liked that R&R was an unabashed Card show. They listened to reasonable Cat fans, but trapdoored the Kayuts. The FM broadcast is better than the AM 680 which has a weak signal. Anderson has a good show but I get tired of his quizzes.
Listen to 680 on the phone doesn't use data.

I get a one-cent-per-minute message when I try that. Anyone else? I think I can afford it, but it's irritating...
I use it for both 93.9 and 680 and never got that message. I'm AT&T maybe it's your courier hmmm(605)477-9680

Not a big deal since I mostly use podcasts. When I was in Indy a couple weeks ago for the NCAA, it was an issue...

Excellent question. As I understood 93.9 is a joint venture between ESPN and UL. So I would expect it to be influenced by UL. So in that context no I don't mind as so many other stations in this area have a UK slant or equal time. Unfortunately theses days all media seem to have an agenda. Do I like that no, but it's the way it is, so UL needs one carrying our banner.

Excellent question. As I understood 93.9 is a joint venture between ESPN and UL. So I would expect it to be influenced by UL. So in that context no I don't mind as so many other stations in this area have a UK slant or equal time. Unfortunately theses days all media seem to have an agenda. Do I like that no, but it's the way it is, so UL needs one carrying our banner.
If this is true, could it be affected by U of L's budget freeze? They are cutting a lot of spending right now and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the result of budgeting issues. Not sure what UL would be obligated to do in a joint venture like this but I am curious.

If this is true, could it be affected by U of L's budget freeze? They are cutting a lot of spending right now and I wouldn't be surprised if this was the result of budgeting issues. Not sure what UL would be obligated to do in a joint venture like this but I am curious.
Budget cuts. Yep with the UL issues and ESPN having their own financial issues that's a real possibility.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Budget cuts. Yep with the UL issues and ESPN having their own financial issues that's a real possibility.
I highly doubt that U of L budget issues are affecting ESPN radio Louisville. Reason why i used to work for a radio station in sales and marketing and believe me ESPN, has big dollar advertisers which fuel it's local programming and budgets. Bottom line it ain't about money.issues . From what i'm hearing in my work world it's more of a quality of life issue with both. Mike is the editor of a very lucrative sports site and we all know about John and his other ventures.

I highly doubt that U of L budget issues are affecting ESPN radio Louisville. Reason why i used to work for a radio station in sales and marketing and believe me ESPN, has big dollar advertisers which fuel it's local programming and budgets. Bottom line it ain't about money.issues . From what i'm hearing in my work world it's more of a quality of life issue with both. Mike is the editor of a very lucrative sports site and we all know about John and his other ventures.

Just heard that a branch of UofL did help fund the show so budget cuts could be part of the equation.

Do you guys who were long time listeners feel that it is total bull sh$t that you get no explanation. You tune in every day and listen and they just up and leave and don't tell you anything ? The more I think about it the more I feel that it is a very shallow thing for them to do. I would have expected better from John Ramsey.

Do you guys who were long time listeners feel that it is total bull sh$t that you get no explanation. You tune in every day and listen and they just up and leave and don't tell you anything ? The more I think about it the more I feel that it is a very shallow thing for them to do. I would have expected better from John Ramsey.
On another site Rutherford alluded to being over committed which was effecting his personal life. Just read that earlier. I can see that. It is along the lines of what Fury was hearing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT