ADVERTISEMENT

Opening Day!!

Only 1 of the 6 runs given up was earned
Yeah I know,but he didn't return for the 3rd inning. He lost something after the circus in the first part of the 2nd inning. That's the point.
CDM alluded to it postgame. He was cruising but couldn't keep his composure.

Coach usually shakes it up after losses like yesterday. Curious to see the lineup.

Noah Smith getting his first collegiate start at 2nd base. Top ss out of Chicago last season.

Seems like everything hit hard the last 2 days right at somebody.
Usher picking up where he left off last season. Smh

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
Usher and Rushing need to be benched. They are what they are average hitters with a high strike out rate.

Very early but hitting again can’t do the little things. When you have people on 1st and 2nd don’t move them or force the defense to do anything that is not going to work. Could change but this was the same problem last year.

Right where we left off. The thing is, they're both the best at their position defensively.
Idk

Seed unavailable this weekend obviously. Anyone know when he is expected back? Are they just being cautious?

0 for 8 RISP today. Just to add to all the other issues the past 2 days.

It is only 3 games but 5 errors today and 3-4 errors yesterday is god awful. There is no way this year is successful if this continues. The pitching is ok which means balls are going to be put in play. Really this is high school level fielding.

Someone has to sell me the SS has a good enough arm to play SS at this level. What I have seen screams he is a 2nd baseman.

Coach may have to make tough decisions. Maybe Smith to Ss and Chris to 2B? Thing is - yes, just too many errors. Unacceptable- guys need to sit. Maybe the Usher experience is over. Go with someone else in Center.

Way too early to panick. We got 18 straight games at home to get things right. I have more confidence in Dan than I had with Satterfield or Mack. Knap has to be on the field if he continues to hit and you can’t make everyone a DH. Usher is a different story.

Reactions: Bardman
I can see why they aren’t ranked. The older guys are not good hitters. The rest of the lineup is young. This could be a bridge year. No clear pro’s in the lineup.

Last year was a head scratcher loaded with pro’s and still really struggled hitting in key spots. I really question Synder’s value if they have the same problem this year.

Reactions: Jgrimes1320
I'm not advocating for anything at this point. It was a brutal 2 days and we know Coach is gonna start with the guys that have put in the most time.
The youngsters will have to make the most of their chances if they are to become every day guys-a la Josh Stowers.

Way too early to panick. We got 18 straight games at home to get things right. I have more confidence in Dan than I had with Satterfield or Mack. Knap has to be on the field if he continues to hit and you can’t make everyone a DH. Usher is a different story.
It is early but Knap had the same problem last year. To see it again this year is a not a good sign.

We will see but baseball come down to playing really good defense and timely hitting. This weekend was not good on any level. Too many errors and terrible execution on offense.

I had a chance to see Knapczyk several times in the scrimmages. He looked much improved throwing it.
Idk,much like a golfer that gets the yips under pressure,he has to figure out how to get through it.

Not going to overreact.

Not going to overreact.

Not going to overreact.

We suck. We suck. We suck.

Not going to overreact.

• Haha
Reactions: earsky
When I hear McDonnell talking about winning National Championships in post game comments,I hear somebody saying to the vets,**** or get off the pot.
He's not gonna have as long of a leash with his veterans as he had last season.
He's not building something for the future. He wants to win now.

Reactions: Bardman
When I hear McDonnell talking about winning National Championships in post game comments,I hear somebody saying to the vets,**** or get off the pot.
He's not gonna have as long of a leash with his veterans as he had last season.
He's not building something for the future. He wants to win now.
The vets are all the same player, if that makes sense. No stand outs, definitely no stars. They are interchangeable. Youth movement on the horizon?

The vets are all the same player, if that makes sense. No stand outs, definitely no stars. They are interchangeable. Youth movement on the horizon?
Josh Stowers. He got his shot and never looked back.Binelas too. Freshmen have to make the case with production.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardX
The thing concerning me is CDM built this program on pitching and sound defense. The last thirty or so games, that’s all but gone.

It’s kinda like fundamentally good defense in any sport. You can always bring that regardless how well you’re shooting, hitting the ball, whatever. You’re always in the game.

Gotta get that back soon. We’re not gonna just outhit many teams in the ACC…

Reactions: earsky
When you've got great starting pitching it covers a multitude of sins.
Either/or for me. Great defense or great starts pitching.
Tbs, I thought Poland had a great start but was unnerved by what happened behind him.

Gotta get that back soon. We’re not gonna just outhit many teams in the ACC…
The scouting report is out on Masterman,Rushing and Usher and now it seems on Zing,the most notorious fastball hunter on the team.
Steady diet of off speed pitches,especially ahead in the count. It's why you see a lot of our hitters swinging at first pitches.
Now,what to do about that? Battle,battle,battle and leave the low off speed alone with discipline.
And I agree about that foundation of defense Coach has instilled in this program.
I think for some,they are definitely taking their struggles at the plate onto the field,much like shooters in basketball that aren't hitting shots.

Reactions: CardX
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT