ADVERTISEMENT

Now Hiring New Management!

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
NOTE: This thread is open ONLY for volunteers and/or nominations of and by LOUISVILLE posters. Any visitor interference or personal attacks on this thread will be deleted immediately with repeat offenders being shown the door.

Below is the content of a group message most of the board has been a part of. I apologize if I missed including anyone in the group message. If you will let me know that I missed you, I can and will add you to the group message. I'm posting this on the open board so I can be sure anyone who this affects, or who may be interested, has a chance to hear and be heard.

As most of you know, I stepped away from moderating almost 2 years ago now, when Shadow Force was made a Mod. Well...it appears we've lost the one Moderator who was paying any attention to the board in @ShadowForce. He hasn't posted in quite a while and has not responded when I've tried to contact him. I hope everything is okay with him from a personal standpoint. Soooo...I'm hoping at least one of you guys (more would be better) would be interested in stepping forward to take a shot at helping to moderate this place. I have no interest in getting back into that role myself, although I have addressed a few things recently that enough of you brought to my attention (thank you for that). But...I did my time, I'm done. I have no interest in the "new norm" of personal attack/pissing contest posting style that has taken over basically all message boards, where the more disruptive you can be, the more you are cheered on. To me, that stuff just kills any possibility of enjoyable civil sports conversation. Anyways...it's pretty obvious to me none of the older Mods are actively participating on the boards. There are roughly 30 Content Reports from the last few months that have gone unaddressed. The board really needs, and deserves, a group of mods with varied perspectives who can work together to moderate it fairly and consistently. One mod really can't (and shouldn't) try to maintain order over both boards.Having said all that...if YOU are interested in being part of the solution on THIS board, please volunteer to be a part of a Moderator "team" that is attempting to be formed. At this time, we have 2 volunteers. I would hope to form a bit larger group who will work together, and make decisions as a group as to the direction and policing of the board. I can, and will if requested, be around as a resource for the logistics of how to use the Moderator tools, but I don't want to be an active Mod. So...the floor is open for volunteers and/or nominations for posters you feel would make a good moderator for the board. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Hopefully, the new management is dealing with this issue that you bring to our attention. I’m NOT, I repeat not, volunteering for the position. I do not suffer fools very well. :p So, therefore, I’d probably ban my best friend if they acted like a fool, in my opinion. And that’s not appropriate behavior from a moderator. I think CardDan is excellent and hope he continues in this role. With all of this said, I do think too much crap is “taken” from the uahkay/cayut fans that come to our “free” boards and I hope that ends sooner rather than later. And to those that don’t like zipp, tough noogies. Yeah, he gets on my last nerve from time to time but you’ll not find a more loyal UofL fan, either academically or athletically. I only address this, not to defend zipp or anyone else but to hopefully create the attitude that a diverse and intelligent debate can, and should, be our goal.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Hopefully, the new management is dealing with this issue that you bring to our attention. I’m NOT, I repeat not, volunteering for the position. I do not suffer fools very well. :p So, therefore, I’d probably ban my best friend if they acted like a fool, in my opinion. And that’s not appropriate behavior from a moderator. I think CardDan is excellent and hope he continues in this role. With all of this said, I do think too much crap is “taken” from the uahkay/cayut fans that come to our “free” boards and I hope that ends sooner rather than later. And to those that don’t like zipp, tough noogies. Yeah, he gets on my last nerve from time to time but you’ll not find a more loyal UofL fan, either academically or athletically. I only address this, not to defend zipp or anyone else but to hopefully create the attitude that a diverse and intelligent debate can, and should, be our goal.

Thanks. I added @CardsDan to the group message. He hasn't posted on either board since Feb. of 2019. I hope he would be interested in returning as an active poster and Moderator.

Edit: @CardsDan has said he will try to start posting on the free boards again and help to keep an eye on the boards. Thank you Dan.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
I'll echo what I said privately that moderators have my complete support to do that thankless job. It wouldn't be a good look for me to volunteer to do that unless I used an alias which is a worse idea!

To push back a little on Steelers' comment--"the 'new norm' of personal attack/pissing contest posting style that has taken over basically all message boards, where the more disruptive you can be, the more you are cheered on"--if true, I think that has precipitated by less moderating, not by the preference of most who post. I think quite simply too many people can't effectively debate without getting personal. When that becomes obvious in a poster or between posters, it needs to be curtailed. And I'm seldom in favor of banning unless that's the only recourse.

It's like any form of discipline--simply the prospect of discipline eventually is discipline enough. Granted I've never had the job. But I don't think you have to ride herd here everyday once you have people and behavior in line. They eventually know the consequences of their misbehavior...

What is the solution for those pissing contest that become personal? My question is limited to message boards only. You can't ban somebody just because they don't want to listen.
Most public discourse outside of message boards has turned into pissing contests with each person having the goal of getting in the last word and shouting down the other person. Saying outrageous stuff gets rewarded with attention.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Getting rid of the BB trouble makers will stop a good percent of the trash talking. The in fighting between Cards fans will take mods some time with warnings. If they don’t heed the warnings, well its goodbye. But personal attacks and belittling name calling must be stopped. Hell there’s even a couple folks stalking folks they have taken a strong disliking to. Social media sucks in today’s world. But does this Louisville Rivals boards need to be destroyed too?

What is the solution for those pissing contest that become personal?...
As a frequent victim/participant, I believe that personal attacks are where the "pissing" starts. You get rid of that, the "piss" takes care of itself...

As a frequent victim/participant, I believe that personal attacks are where the "pissing" starts. You get rid of that, the "piss" takes care of itself...
I think it's the other way around. I could be wrong on that; I think people get into pissing matches and then get pissy about it. That's when the personal attacks start.
Maybe the way to stop it is to lock the threads and then tell the participants to chill. We can avoid excessive banning of people or time outs that way.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
Getting rid of the BB trouble makers will stop a good percent of the trash talking. The in fighting between Cards fans will take mods some time with warnings. If they don’t heed the warnings, well its goodbye. But personal attacks and belittling name calling must be stopped. Hell there’s even a couple folks stalking folks they have taken a strong disliking to. Social media sucks in today’s world. But does this Louisville Rivals boards need to be destroyed too?
I have to admit I have made some of those personal attacks, but I save it for the UK fans who come here to start crap.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
I have to admit I have made some of those personal attacks, but I save it for the UK fans who come here to start crap.
Again, it’s usually easy to recognize the UK fans either they admit it or their posts/POV give themselves away. It’s the ones who disguise themselves as real U of L fans but truly aren’t. I wish there was a way for a moderator to know if a poster has more than 1 identity or pretends to be something they’re not. I don’t have anything to hide. I’m a U of L fan, brought up in southwest Jefferson County, lived in Charlotte for 25 years for work and now moved back to KY and live in Lawrenceburg. Go Cards!

Again, it’s usually easy to recognize the UK fans either they admit it or their posts/POV give themselves away. It’s the ones who disguise themselves as real U of L fans but truly aren’t. I wish there was a way for a moderator to know if a poster has more than 1 identity or pretends to be something they’re not. I don’t have anything to hide. I’m a U of L fan, brought up in southwest Jefferson County, lived in Charlotte for 25 years for work and now moved back to KY and live in Lawrenceburg. Go Cards!

I agree with your comments about the “more than 1 identity” but I believe “freedom of speech” is the claim of those folks. I do have a question for you, why Lawrenceburg. It’s a nice town and all but it’s about an hour away from Louisville. Just asking.

I agree with your comments about the “more than 1 identity” but I believe “freedom of speech” is the claim of those folks. I do have a question for you, why Lawrenceburg. It’s a nice town and all but it’s about an hour away from Louisville. Just asking.

My employer brought me back to KY to work in the Frankfort office. I tried commuting daily albeit from southwest Jefferson County and although it’s not really far, I got tired of it quickly. I am getting a lot older and don’t want to spend my time sitting in a car. That was a big issue in Charlotte. Traffic is significantly worse there. I guess I could move to the East End but although I am very familiar with it, I didn’t grow up there. I tried Simpsonville, Shelbyville and Frankfort but didn’t really find something I wanted. Being close to retirement, I considered this move a short term one. I never considered anything east of Frankfort simply because of my hate for Lexington and UK. Yeah, I harbor that much dislike. I see quite a few cars in Frankfort with U of L stuff and as I said before, there are probably 5 families in my neighborhood section that are Cardinal fans. Most of them commute to Louisville for work.

I welcome anyone to try the moderator role for another good reason--when or where applicable, you have to clean up your own act! You're setting the example by your own behavior.

That's not an issue for most posters, but I'd give a handful of posters that opportunity simply to see their own behavior improve. (No, I'm not taking the job...)

Zipp, a perfect example of what you are referring to is in the Dugout forum and the thread is Will Smith. Nice talking about our Will Smith accomplishments turns into nasty thread. Shows exactly what I’ve been speaking of the last couple days.

Zipp, a perfect example of what you are referring to is in the Dugout forum and the thread is Will Smith. Nice talking about our Will Smith accomplishments turns into nasty thread. Shows exactly what I’ve been speaking of the last couple days.

PHCARD I went and saw the thread you are referring to above. And I totally agree. Any new moderator has to have boundary’s set by Mark Ennis and the new management team in place. The conversation/thread you mentioned, gets “out of bounds” pretty quickly. But, with that being said, perhaps freedom of speech issues come to the forefront. If I were to become a moderator, and I’m NOT going to be one, I’d insist on a written set of rules and boundary’s for our posters. And that set of rules must deal with our own paying members (I assume a vast majority to be UofL fans) and then those certain “visitors” to our free boards. I do have to admit that I’ve gotten “frustrated” with some of the big blow folks and have fallen into the trap of “name calling”. Perhaps this is the result of my own experiences over on “the Liar”. But I post this as a suggestion to Mark and his management team in their attempt to find a new group of moderators to replace really good moderators, i.e. Steelers, that have decided to move on. Hey PH I nominate you. :p So good luck with your new role on these boards. ;)

Yep PH pretty much nails it every time.

Yep PH pretty much nails it every time.
PH would be a fine moderator IMO.

If she doesn't mind me saying it this way, I think this place needs more of a "feminine touch" anyway--certainly more of their contributions. The testosterone runs off many good posters, male and female...

PH would be a fine moderator IMO.

If she doesn't mind me saying it this way, I think this place needs more of a "feminine touch" anyway--certainly more of their contributions. The testosterone runs off many good posters, male and female...

Well I and my daughter had the pleasure of meeting her and her better half in FL last spring for UofL baseball in Lakeland and I agree with zipp’s assessment of PHCARD. So she has my vote.

Reactions: zipp
Nice to meet you @PHCARD . I was actually worried when you were referred to as a "she" that somebody was taking a shot at you. LoL!

Steelers, are you saying Zipp would take a shot at someone?
tenor.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT