ADVERTISEMENT

Here’s a thought..

beantowncard

15000+
Gold Member
Mar 9, 2009
Pursuant to Glassmanj’s post, I thought that one way to deal with professional college sports is to offer the student-athlete a choice: they can be compensated traditionally, ie., grant-in- aid, with any cash they get earned outside the university- individual NIL deals, or just a part-time job in the offseason, and the other option being direct negotiated compensation from the university as an employee. In the latter option, the athlete would have to cover tuition books, room and board themselves. The vast majority of athletes would take option 1 (think golfers, volleyball players,etc) while a few would negotiate lucrative salary from the university.

I hear you but why even bother paying for books and tuition when they're not interested in academics? It's all such a waste of money.

That's why college basketball and eventually football is going pro within 10 years. Call it what you want but it's going to be the minor leagues. University's once they're free from the NCAA, will not have much if any academic requirements for its big brand sports teams.

There will still be room for those players who need four years or want the education, but the top players who garner the big salaries somehow will be accommodated so the "student athlete" status can survive.

It's all a farce, a product of the ass backward times we're currently living in.

I hear you but why even bother paying for books and tuition when they're not interested in academics? It's all such a waste of money.

That's why college basketball and eventually football is going pro within 10 years. Call it what you want but it's going to be the minor leagues. University's once they're free from the NCAA, will not have much if any academic requirements for its big brand sports teams.

There will still be room for those players who need four years or want the education, but the top players who garner the big salaries somehow will be accommodated so the "student athlete" status can survive.

It's all a farce, a product of the ass backward times we're currently living in.
I don't give university presidents much credit for courage, but if they had any, this is the direction to go. It allows them to maintain "professional" student - athlete status while keeping most sports under the traditional model. Anyway, it's a thought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT