ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
First off i'm for athletes being given something i don't how to do it without it being a problem though. My issue it's going to ruin college sports going forward. I just don't understand why people think this is not going to be an issue. You are talking about high school to college age kids . Envy jealousy etc will perminate these locker rooms. It's all going to be about me and what endorsements i got. Every player is not equal . Those that will be the stars will not have a team mentality it's going to be about them . They will have agents/camps peddling them for money. SMH . Just imagine a player or agent telling their HC i cant make it too practice because i got a obligation to some signing at said business.

This is where the rich will get richer and I am not talking about the athlete I am talking about the schools or certain schools.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
There will no doubt be unforeseen consequences. College athletics, as we know it, will change. TBD if for better or worse. But, am I enjoying watching the NCAA squirm, and get turned upside down? Yes. Yes, I am. Blow that corrupt and inept org. up.

Reactions: gocds
Since it appears the supreme court will be ruling against the NCAA. The best outcome for everyone is to just wipe the books of any ncaa violations. And just start completely over with an entire new playbook for both sides. I know that makes too much sense though.

It looks like chaos is in the immediate future. I just hope we get our banner back at some point in the process.

Reactions: Deeva
It looks like chaos is in the immediate future. I just hope we get our banner back at some point in the process.
At what seems to be transpiring with the courts and the NCAA. U of L shouldn't haven't a problem in the near future putting that banner back up. That entity is slowly dying.

The demise of the NC2A will essentially create two colligate classes. The have's and the have not's. Sorry, to rain on anyone's parade but we are not in the " have " class. I really don't get where the banner fits in, with all that is going on? It's gone, the title is vacated, end of story. At this point, what difference does it make ? The stain on the program will remain.

Reactions: Guardman
It will be interesting to see how much $$ each university charges the athletes that are getting paid, for their tuition, room & board, meals, shoes, tutoring, trainers, etc.

The demise of the NC2A will essentially create two colligate classes. The have's and the have not's. Sorry, to rain on anyone's parade but we are not in the " have " class. I really don't get where the banner fits in, with all that is going on? It's gone, the title is vacated, end of story. At this point, what difference does it make ? The stain on the program will remain.
We're in the ACC. We have a top 5 engaged basketball fan base. We're in a big market with 0 competition from pro sports. We are in the highest rated CBB market. We have 3 NCAA titles and are among the top 5-10 programs ever. Our roster top to bottom is filled with top 100 level 4 stars & we are consistently getting the top transfers now. Money, fan support, and a history of success. We are a have.

Bellarmine, Morehead, & EKU would sure tell us we are haves. Heck, Cincy/Xavier would tell us we are haves.

We're in the ACC. We have a top 5 engaged basketball fan base. We're in a big market with 0 competition from pro sports. We are in the highest rated CBB market. We have 3 NCAA titles and are among the top 5-10 programs ever. Our roster top to bottom is filled with top 100 level 4 stars & we are consistently getting the top transfers now. Money, fan support, and a history of success. We are a have.

Bellarmine, Morehead, & EKU would sure tell us we are haves. Heck, Cincy/Xavier would tell us we are haves.
Yell as bad as we are treated compared to the top programs we are like the bastard child . We are no doubt still a have program.

Yell as bad as we are treated compared to the top programs we are like the bastard child . We are no doubt still a have program.
Who are the "top" programs?

sUcKs, Kansas, Duke, UNC?
There's only 20 starting spots at those 4 schools combined.

Duke isn't anything without Coach K. We'll see that soon.

What I am saying and this pertains more to football is; that we cannot " sell " NIL to recruits nearly as much as other programs. I.e., Bama / OSU football. Not just us, other very successful programs in the same situation. If this happens, college hoops - football, nonrevenue will never be the same.

One thing that is obvious and no one can dispute this. Having Vince as AD right now is pretty sound. Listening too him speak on this you can tell . This type of stuff is his wheel house. Licensing and branding is something best left to persons of a business background. Barnhart today sounded somewhat opposite and like alot of others a fish out of waters . Vince seems to have a initial sound plan to navigate this.

LOL in humor and keeping in theme with U of L as of late we will be the first to screw it up somehow.

Last edited:
I fear that while Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas and the Carolina schools will reap benefits due to this, football will be further taken by Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Texas and Oklahoma.
Basketball schools will be bigger factories, Football powerhouses will leave everyone in the dust.
Hope I'm wrong....

One thing that is obvious and no one can dispute this. Having Vince as AD right now is pretty sound. Listening too him speak on this you can tell . This type of stuff is his wheel house. Licensing and branding is something best left to persons of a business background. Barnhart today sounded somewhat opposite and like alot of others a fish out of waters . Vince seems to have a initial sound plan to navigate this.

LOL in humor and keeping in theme with U of L as of late we will be the first to screw it up somehow.
In before the lock!!!! Nevermind he's not here anymore. : )

You are very wrong on that point.

I fear that while Kentucky, Louisville, Kansas and the Carolina schools will reap benefits due to this, football will be further taken by Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, Texas and Oklahoma.
Basketball schools will be bigger factories, Football powerhouses will leave everyone in the dust.
Hope I'm wrong....
The issue with football will be the transfers. High school football players aren't stars on the level of basketball players. In-state and hometown kids will be more hyped up. Like a Bush and Brohm combo would be MASSIVE in Louisville & have a lot more opportunities. But say they're at a Bama, they're competing with 3-4 other guys for their spot and not as special.

Football's transfer portal will cause some big stars to leave, but also could even out with the depth. Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc can stockpile top recruits in their 3-4 deep and they'll stay because they don't want to sit out. Maybe a 2nd string corner at Clemson may think he can better show his skills as the star of the UofL defense. Ohio State's 3rd string running back might think he could be 1st Team All-ACC at UofL if he can get more carries.

What happens is that you get to a point where you may fear losing the stars, but the depth stays the same. Like say in 2013, Teddy sees no path in the AAC to win a title or play in big games, but say Florida has NFL talent at every position and an elite defense just needed a QB to put them in contention. Or maybe Ohio State tells Tutu Atwell that he's the deep threat they need to make them the favorites to win a title? The money they could make as star players at programs like that would be tempting.

So there's pros and cons, but overall I think it can be a positive. The type of guys we get aren't going to want to transfer down, but they aren't the guys that transfer up. Football players know that play-time matters more for their brand than the program.

I don't see how this change will cause a huge separation between the haves and have-nots. Wasn't that already pretty wide?

I don't see how this change will cause a huge separation between the haves and have-nots. Wasn't that already pretty wide?
Exactly what I was going to say. The gap in football today between bama, clemson, OSU, Okla and few select others is massive and this will only strengthen that gap.

Fat Cal is milking the NIL tit like his life depends on it. I hope one of his man boobs falls off.

Fat Cal is milking the NIL tit like his life depends on it. I hope one of his man boobs falls off.
Not surprising . Kids will flock to him even more because he well sell them no other program has the platform to market them. No diffrent than these kids think Uk is the only way to the NBA ploy. I will say this Roy and K could've stayed in the game and played the same game as Cal will use at UK. But those two feel it's not worth the hassle at their ages anymore . I have no issue with kids getting some piece of the pie but. It just needs to be a diffrent way wish i had the answer. I just feel imop college sports are going to be not fun too follow within the next couple of years going forward. It's just going to get worse.

What’s going to keep boosters from paying an athlete $200,000 to go to school at his school and say we are paying for his likeness?

Reactions: rh62531
What’s going to keep boosters from paying an athlete $200,000 to go to school at his school and say we are paying for his likeness?
There it is. A local car dealer puts the pic of the State U quarter/running back and pays him.....well, whatever it took.

This will be the way the cool kids come from impoverished homes and are driving the newest models...the will be part of their NIL payment.

Depends on the booster

Say a guy owns a business, those guys didn't get rich just throwing $200,000 salaries to people. They love sports, but they love money more lol

Lefors4ever: there comes a time when those who owned and worked within their respective businesses come to the recognition that they have more money than time left to spend it! That is where you will see people throwing money at kids with little expectation than satisfying their ego and limited interest.

Reactions: gocds and rh62531

No offense to Tyra, but Jurich would have thrived during this new era. The guy was 100% business, 100% what’s good for UofL and the student athletes. Best AD this state has seen.

Lefors4ever: there comes a time when those who owned and worked within their respective businesses come to the recognition that they have more money than time left to spend it! That is where you will see people throwing money at kids with little expectation than satisfying their ego and limited interest.
It's gotta be BIG money though. Like huge.

Jim Patterson is that type of rich. Papa John was that for us too. The coal guy in Lexington is like that too.

Horse farmers and car dealers are all dependent on the market, as their business is their wealth where they have to put up their own capital to keep things moving. A bad market could hurt their business.

We will have to watch this develop, but I do not believe the majority of kids receiving paid endorsements will ever get “big money”. Exceptions for super-talented student athletes Lamar Jackson, yes they will be capable of attracting large 5 and 6 digit dollar checks ……..but I expect most college performers will be the targets of local restaurants and retail stores where four digit paydays will be the rule.

We will have to watch this develop, but I do not believe the majority of kids receiving paid endorsements will ever get “big money”. Exceptions for super-talented student athletes Lamar Jackson, yes they will be capable of attracting large 5 and 6 digit dollar checks ……..but I expect most college performers will be the targets of local restaurants and retail stores where four digit paydays will be the rule.
Totally agree. These companies generally have obligations beyond their desires to pay for some young kid. Those obligations could be to a Board of Directors and/or stockholders. That’s where the rub will be. Also if you do “pay” a kid will there be a clause that deals with a possible transfer to another school and the cessation of payments or maybe the return of some money. This whole thing is on shakey ground. Just my own opinion.

GO CARDS!!!

This is not the type stories ($$$$$$$$$) I expected to see right away.

Who the hell is Tennessee State going to get to pay some kid a $2 million package. I believe this is total BS.

GO CARDS!!!

Who the hell is Tennessee State going to get to pay some kid a $2 million package. I believe this is total BS.

GO CARDS!!!

Surely you aren’t saying that any sports writers would write BS? 🤭 According to the SI dude, it’s some tech company.

Since it appears the supreme court will be ruling against the NCAA. The best outcome for everyone is to just wipe the books of any ncaa violations. And just start completely over with an entire new playbook for both sides. I know that makes too much sense though.

This might be the first and only position that Mark Emmert has ever taken that makes sense. Conferences have both the motivation, as well as the capability in administering discipline to its members. The NCAA has far outlived any sense of relevance or functionality. Duke, Kansas, UNC and LSU lead the way with recent examples of where the NCAA goes totally blind and deaf when it comes to applying any meaningful justice to obvious violations.

This might be the first and only position that Mark Emmert has ever taken that makes sense. Conferences have both the motivation, as well as the capability in administering discipline to its members. The NCAA has far outlived any sense of relevance or functionality. Duke, Kansas, UNC and LSU lead the way with recent examples of where the NCAA goes totally blind and deaf when it comes to applying any meaningful justice to obvious violations.
Totally agree 233. In addition this eliminates most of the biases against any one school by certain members as I believe UofL has suffered in the recent past. I would much prefer being “handled” by my immediate peer group (a fellow conference member) than a school that considers themselves a major rival. The removal of the possibility of perhaps a uahkay being part and parcel of punishment of, for example, an IU. I believe a more fair and just “trial by ones peers” (fellow conference members) would be the correct thing for schools of a certain conference.

GO CARDS!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT