ADVERTISEMENT

NIL

This is American! Capitalism is king! Consumerism drives everything...politics aside (for the record I'm a Democrat) the philosophy of a free market is that it promotes the best product. I believe this benefits everyone...eventually. Because college football is the product, all stake holders are empowered. For those saying this makes an unlevel playing field, when was it ever an even playing field? Distribution of assets are cyclical, and the only thing required to be part of the cycle, is consistent effort.
The only variable is time!!!

Reactions: SoulSr and CardX
wreckcard22: appreciate your enthusiasm for capitalism, as I share that as well, but I do not believe this is a healthy development when applied to amateurs in HS or College. Even Nick Saban has acknowledged the imbalance this brings to College football, stating his position at the very same time that we see the Tide’s QB having over a Million dollars in endorsements already. Watch the SEC become more dominant over these next few years as they start outbidding the rest of the country for talented recruits looking for immediate compensation. Some other conference schools may be able to participate as well, but overall the level of booster and fan support in the SEC is a sight to behold.

I always viewed a 4 year college scholarship, room and board as sufficient financial reward for playing sports.

wreckcard22: appreciate your enthusiasm for capitalism, as I share that as well, but I do not believe this is a healthy development when applied to amateurs in HS or College. Even Nick Saban has acknowledged the imbalance this brings to College football, stating his position at the very same time that we see the Tide’s QB having over a Million dollars in endorsements already. Watch the SEC become more dominant over these next few years as they start outbidding the rest of the country for talented recruits looking for immediate compensation. Some other conference schools may be able to participate as well, but overall the level of booster and fan support in the SEC is a sight to behold.

I always viewed a 4 year college scholarship, room and board as sufficient financial reward for playing sports.
like Saban want's to change the current system? um, nope...He's taking advantage of the current landscape, any change would likely harm his current success. I'm going to have to say that he's being disingenuous here, and I don't blame him.
There will be regulations on this market to help avoid your scenario of non competitive monopolies...welcome to NCAA part II.

The NCAA is vulnerable, and they will be reluctant to impose regulations with some P5 conference members starting to raise discussions about eliminating the NCAA. When a QB has already obtained over a Million $$$ in endorsement, the same judges that ruled in favor of compensation will be the same ones protecting against imposing regulatory limitations.

I think the NCAA will be the regulatory agency involved with the new NIL rules. Amateurism will simply get a new definition. I think some interesting things to come will be licensing rules for universities (kids can't use their image without the image of the school). this may be an angle to regulate and manage potential abuse. It's a brave new world for college sports.

I spoke with a well known and successful local HS football coach today about this very subject. He is now retired. He indicated that first, he didn’t like this situation and, second, that it would make the haves in college football even stronger giving them an continuing bigger advantage in recruiting. Also, he said that this would open the door for more cheating. Without more information I tend to agree with him.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: PHCARD
I simply disagree ”wreck”; the Court ruling, by virtue of its intrusion into amateur athletics, has sent a not-so-subtle message to the NCAA ……. specifically, that it no longer has the authority over individual athlete rights. The fear of litigation alone will prohibit any meaningful limitations from either the NCAA, or the schools themselves.

I wish you were right, and that I am misinterpreting this development, but once this initiative obtained a court ruling; the precedent of protecting the individual athlete’s ability to earn compensation, it will be impossible to limit the amounts.

Once again, the Alabama QB’s Million $$$ of endorsements serves as evidence there can be no limit in the amount of money; and those willing to compensate these kids, are more than sufficiently resourceful in figuring out ways to do it within existing laws.

Reactions: gocds
I simply disagree ”wreck”; the Court ruling, by virtue of its intrusion into amateur athletics, has sent a not-so-subtle message to the NCAA ……. specifically, that it no longer has the authority over individual athlete rights. The fear of litigation alone will prohibit any meaningful limitations from either the NCAA, or the schools themselves.

I wish you were right, and that I am misinterpreting this development, but once this initiative obtained a court ruling; the precedent of protecting the individual athlete’s ability to earn compensation, it will be impossible to limit the amounts.

Once again, the Alabama QB’s Million $$$ of endorsements serves as evidence there can be no limit in the amount of money; and those willing to compensate these kids, are more than sufficiently resourceful in figuring out ways to do it within existing laws.
maybe I'm just optimistic, I understand the potential pit falls and I think most people agree with your take. It's really hard to read the tea leaves on this...but I will just say at the end of the day these young people should be allowed to make $ and the NCAA was overreaching; courts fixed that problem and now we get to figure this out. It will be a process, but in the end I still think it's for the best.

The athletes won't be limited; but they'll have to report that income (IRS) and we (NCAA) can limit member institutions to a cap of sorts, and other regulatory processes to help balance things out. I don't pretend to have the answers, but I think we'll figure this out and it will be better than the past situation. that is a minority opinion, I'm sure.

Can't pretend to see the future, but what is probably most important for UofL athletics is to stay a part of the ACC. I know that's kind of another topic but maybe not, as it ties in to keeping UofL competitive in sports. The Big12 is in trouble. The Cards lucked out moving into the ACC instead of Big 12.

Can't pretend to see the future, but what is probably most important for UofL athletics is to stay a part of the ACC. I know that's kind of another topic but maybe not, as it ties in to keeping UofL competitive in sports. The Big12 is in trouble. The Cards lucked out moving into the ACC instead of Big 12.
You did indeed. From what I've read here and there, your school is pioneering the NIL landmine. Probably the best course.
I also agree that the 'haves' in both sports will take an even larger stranglehold on talent.

Oddly, this may start cutting back on basketball players going G league....with free room and board (plus tuition) free training, medical care and the dollar possibilities of the NIL, a player could well be taking an actual financial hit going G league or Euro ball.

Football though.....ah, me....

The SEC is simply stated “more serious about college sports than its peers”, particularly in Football and Baseball; it’s efforts over the last decade tell me that it has decided to include Basketball as part of that same focus. The reports about Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC may or may not be accurate, but ESPN appears to be supportive of SEC expansion based on what they can envision with its TV market potential.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but this NIL development serves as a huge opportunity for the SEC to take advantage of the unparalleled support they have in their geographical locations. There are College fans all across our entire country who love their schools and their conferences, but those in SEC territory worship it. When I travel down south, I am amazed at the level of enthusiasm they have for their schools, and how they revere their conference affiliation.

I foresee unprecedented financial endorsements at these SEC schools.

The reports about Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC may or may not be accurate,
I'd think the reports gotta be accurate, there's no way they would allow the leak if it wasn't already a done deal. Think of the backlash TX and OU would face if it fell through.

There are a lot of irons burning right now in this fire.....Ok and Tx did not send reps to a special called meeting of the Big 12, and this deal may shake down in 2022. Texas A&M has contacted the league office for a meeting on contractual obligation. The guy that broke this story now says the SEC has sent interest to Ohio State, Michigan, Florida State and Clemson to form a 20 team superconference....and the remaining members of the Big 12 are considering pursuing the same deal with the Pac 12.

Strange days indeed.

Reactions: gocds
The only difference between Michigan, OSU, Clemson, FSU, Oklahoma and Texas is who stays. First of all at this point I can’t believe anybody would be interested in FSU at this stage in the game. I also think the Big 12 will fall apart and Texas & Oklahoma knew that so they won’t have to pay their GOR penalty.
I don’t think FSU & Clemson, OSU & Michigan will be as lucky. What would probably happen is the ACC & B1G remaining schools would probably form a new conference. It would give them a reputable football conference. The conference wouldn’t rival the SEC in football but it would be good enough to get a couple of seats in the playoffs.
Their real money would come in basketball once they break away from the NCAA. They would make just as much money as the football teams and they would control college basketball.

Ultimately this is all about the P5 exiting the NCAA. The NCAA is just fine for the 1260 member institutions, minus those “100 or so” schools who produce the vast majority of revenue, that is then redistributed to the others.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT