ADVERTISEMENT

Mack is the extreme favorite...

You speaking for Ghost? And surely someone with your intellect can see I wasn’t speaking for Donovan. Geez.. you really should lighten up.
At a minimum, you're a mind reader with no references. And that's in addition to your clown show tilt. Nice combo.

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

In all likelihood, Jurich wlll be the highest paid employee in the history of the state of KY this year- though unemployed. (probably winning a lawsuit) Maybe we should call and get his permission to hire the guy previously thought to possibly be high on his list?

We would all agree that Wright, Donovan and Stevens are higher targets than Mack. Most reasonable people would agree that none of the 3 are attainable.

Soon enough, Roy and K will be retiring-

Zipp, are you willing to wager that any of those 3 take either of those jobs?

outside of those 3- who else would you- not Tom, though you presume to know who he DOES NOT value- place above Mack and argue is attainable?

It doesnt offer much to the discussion to try and poke wholes in every position when yours can no more be proven than theirs, and yours is simply WDITTJWD...What Do I Think Tom Jurich Would Do?

Being a member of the opposition party is quickly becoming an island.

Classic Zippism - when the info doesn’t fit one’s agenda then deflect and re-direct. I’ve got your playbook.
You're speaking for diverse interests like Donovan, Jurich, and the clown show--all in the same thread. I'm not trying to deflect or redirect from that. You're that good...

In all likelihood, Jurich wlll be the highest paid employee in the history of the state of KY this year- though unemployed. (probably winning a lawsuit) Maybe we should call and get his permission to hire the guy previously thought to possibly be high on his list?

We would all agree that Wright, Donovan and Stevens are higher targets than Mack. Most reasonable people would agree that none of the 3 are attainable.

Soon enough, Roy and K will be retiring-

Zipp, are you willing to wager that any of those 3 take either of those jobs?

outside of those 3- who else would you- not Tom, though you presume to know who he DOES NOT value- place above Mack and argue is attainable?

It doesnt offer much to the discussion to try and poke wholes in every position when yours can no more be proven than theirs, and yours is simply WDITTJWD...What Do I Think Tom Jurich Would Do?

Being a member of the opposition party is quickly becoming an island.
I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating the same list of Wright, Donovan, Stevens, Bennett, Few et al. And there are a probably a few others with proven track records better than Mack. You can't know if any will take the job unless they're asked.

Not trying to poke "wholes" in anything. Just seeking the best coach possible, not the easiest hire.

Tyra claims he's considering elite coaching candidates. Then, he turns around and says he wants to interview Kenny Payne. All that tells me is he doesn't have a clue what "elite" means, or that he'll say whatever is politically expedient...

You're speaking for diverse interests like Donovan, Jurich, and the clown show--all in the same thread. I'm not trying to deflect or redirect from that. You're that good...

Another Classic Zippism - create some false narrative and then keep repeating it until it becomes “truth”.

I'm not sure why I have to keep repeating the same list of Wright, Donovan, Stevens, Bennett, Few et al. And there are a probably a few others with proven track records better than Mack. You can't know if any will take the job unless they're asked.

Not trying to poke "wholes" in anything. Just seeking the best coach possible, not the easiest hire.

Tyra claims he's considering elite coaching candidates. Then, he turns around and says he wants to interview Kenny Payne. All that tells me is he doesn't have a clue what "elite" means, or that he'll say whatever is politically expedient...

I agree that the KP situation is a joke no matter what the intent. What we haven't heard from Tyra himself, is that HE actually reached out to Payne personally or directly. I don't get the misinformation on this cause UL says yes (allegedly) and UK says no (allegedly) with regards to being contacted about KP. Something is obviously awry there and It probably comes back to UK just trying to make the University look bad since we seem to be such an easy target.

Why are you so certain that the names you have mentioned haven't been contacted? Wouldn't you agree that if he had reached out to those names, that it would be better for optics that it did not become public knowledge that they weren't interested- for our eventual coach, and for our image?

Why would Stevens leave the greatest Franchise in NBA history while having tremendous success?

I was all on the Bennett train but this tourney failure is one i simply cant get past. I say he was attainable, but now he is a hard pass. We will simply have to agree to disagree on Bennett.

How would a potential Donovan Hire go down- timeline wise? Would Tom be able to get him to leave the Thunder late in the season while under a huge contract and holding on to a top 4 seed in the WEST?

Wright is going to leave his hometown school after winning 1 and likely 2 NC's in 3 years? When has a coach ever been plucked from a school after winning 1 or 2 recent NC's? Please don't bring Tubby's name into this cause he did not get promoted and his NC was far from recent.

We probably agree that Few would be a fine/better target, but not all fans would agree, and we would probably disagree whether or not he is attainable. There is no evidence to suggest he would leave, and our speculation about how prestigious this job is may not be shared by Few.

If the only way you will be satisfied by the hire is if Tom is the one to make it, you are clearly going to be disappointed, but that doesn't make it the wrong hire, or even a different hire.

Tom can't hire any of those guys, and mark the tape, Duke and Carolina wont get them either when they come knocking- without a dramatic shift in circumstances around their(coaches) circumstances.

I agree that the KP situation is a joke no matter what the intent. What we haven't heard from Tyra himself, is that HE actually reached out to Payne personally or directly. I don't get the misinformation on this cause UL says yes (allegedly) and UK says no (allegedly) with regards to being contacted about KP. Something is obviously awry there and It probably comes back to UK just trying to make the University look bad since we seem to be such an easy target.

Why are you so certain that the names you have mentioned haven't been contacted? Wouldn't you agree that if he had reached out to those names, that it would be better for optics that it did not become public knowledge that they weren't interested- for our eventual coach, and for our image?

Why would Stevens leave the greatest Franchise in NBA history while having tremendous success?

I was all on the Bennett train but this tourney failure is one i simply cant get past. I say he was attainable, but now he is a hard pass. We will simply have to agree to disagree on Bennett.

How would a potential Donovan Hire go down- timeline wise? Would Tom be able to get him to leave the Thunder late in the season while under a huge contract and holding on to a top 4 seed in the WEST?

Wright is going to leave his hometown school after winning 1 and likely 2 NC's in 3 years? When has a coach ever been plucked from a school after winning 1 or 2 recent NC's? Please don't bring Tubby's name into this cause he did not get promoted and his NC was far from recent.

We probably agree that Few would be a fine/better target, but not all fans would agree, and we would probably disagree whether or not he is attainable. There is no evidence to suggest he would leave, and our speculation about how prestigious this job is may not be shared by Few.

If the only way you will be satisfied by the hire is if Tom is the one to make it, you are clearly going to be disappointed, but that doesn't make it the wrong hire, or even a different hire.

Tom can't hire any of those guys, and mark the tape, Duke and Carolina wont get them either when they come knocking- without a dramatic shift in circumstances around their(coaches) circumstances.
A lot of logic in your post. My only comment would be that I don't believe that TJ would have waited until this moment to start making the hire - particularly when you are talking about the guys that you are talking about - specifically because of the logistics.

Not true. Only Tyra is meeting. Assuming he'll tell the players who the coach will be and when it'll be announced (Wednesday). This thing probably gets leaked after the meeting is over. Players have social media again...especially twitter. Something will get leaked as final today. Rothstein, Demling, Greer, ESPIN, somebody will announce something. Always happens. I assume it'll be after the players meeting with Tyra.

Not true. Only Tyra is meeting. Assuming he'll tell the players who the coach will be and when it'll be announced (Wednesday). This thing probably gets leaked after the meeting is over. Players have social media again...especially twitter. Something will get leaked as final today. Rothstein, Demling, Greer, ESPIN, somebody will announce something. Always happens. I assume it'll be after the players meeting with Tyra.
Yeah I saw Howie shoot that down on twitter. Just another reason to ignore Dick Vitale.

We just learned that Jay Wright, a New Yorker and lifelong Knicks fan, just turned down an interview with New York because he loves the job he has. Until today, I thought that Jurich would have had a shot at Wright, but I no longer believe this. Strike off Jay Wright.

At the time of the UofL hiring process, Stevens and Donovan were in the season stretch runs into the NBA playoffs. They are not going to leave an NBA team in a playoff run. Strike those guys off.

Bennett isn't leaving UVA. He just isn't. Same with Few.

So Zipp, which realistic "elite" candidate did we not interview?

We just learned that Jay Wright, a New Yorker and lifelong Knicks fan, just turned down an interview with New York because he loves the job he has. Until today, I thought that Jurich would have had a shot at Wright, but I no longer believe this. Strike off Jay Wright.

At the time of the UofL hiring process, Stevens and Donovan were in the season stretch runs into the NBA playoffs. They are not going to leave an NBA team in a playoff run. Strike those guys off.

There was no hiring “process”. Mack’s wife wanted to move back to Louisville and U of L officials thought Mack was the best available in any scenario.

If Mack wins a national championship next year, he's a great coach. He wasn't when he was hired based on what we knew. If Jay Wright is named by the FBI, he's a bum. All of these prior decisions have to be judged in the context of when they were made.

If no one but Mack was interviewed, as I said, Tyra was simply doing what was expedient and without regard for what "elite" means to most people. For damn sure that's true if Kenny Payne was given consideration. "Elite" is just another word...

If Mack wins a national championship next year, he's a great coach. He wasn't when he was hired based on what we knew. If Jay Wright is named by the FBI, he's a bum. All of these prior decisions have to be judged in the context of when they were made.

If no one but Mack was interviewed, as I said, Tyra was simply doing what was expedient and without regard for what "elite" means to most people. For damn sure that's true if Kenny Payne was given consideration. "Elite" is just another word...

KP was never given consideration. He was interviewd solely to appease his teammates. We dont know how long the interview was, and never will. Tyra and Mack want the entire generations of Louisville MBB to be together, not separated like it used to be. And your definition of “elite” must be the same as a cayuts fan mentality. Everyone I’ve talked to loves the hire. You still and always will have an undeniably large bias because of what “they did” to your friends. It’s never been what the two amigos did to themselves, it’s always been what someone else did to them, according to you. That’s not the case. Both people put themselves in the situations that led them to be fired. The bosses did what they had to do.

Let’s say you’re a standard chef over a group of 10. 5 of those 10 just cannot grasp the concepts and keep failing. You fire those 5 guys. 5 more are hired. Those 5 do the exact same as the 5 guys you just fired. What’s the head chef (your boss) thinking now? He’s probably thinking that maybe it isnt the people within the group, maybe it’s the person overseeing the group. What’s the head chef do? Fires the overseer and hires a new chef. You think the boss is going to sit there and keep thinking about all those people fired? You think the customers are going to keep thinking about those people fired? No. They’re thinking about how much better and relaxed they are because the food is so good now. That’s the stage we’re at right now.

...Tyra and Mack want the entire generations of Louisville MBB to be together, not separated like it used to be...
Right. That's why Tyra labels people like me "small but loud". We annoy him because we don't simply fall in line to stay "together". All of that rhetoric is based on whether you're on his side or not.
...And your definition of “elite” must be the same as a cayuts fan mentality...
My definition of "elite" in this context is the very best coaches you can hire, and for that reason, the most difficult. Tyra evidently didn't have any trouble hiring Mack, probably because he's paying Mack 80% of what Pitino was being paid. It has nothing to do with slapd!cks.
...Everyone I’ve talked to loves the hire...
Maybe you need to get out more. I talk to a lotta people who are firmly planted in Missouri.
...You still and always will have an undeniably large bias because of what “they did” to your friends. It’s never been what the two amigos did to themselves, it’s always been what someone else did to them, according to you. That’s not the case. Both people put themselves in the situations that led them to be fired. The bosses did what they had to do...
Some of you guys need to forget about the old regime and let the new guys stand on their own. I have, and I love talking about how they're doing. The news isn't generally good, but that won't stop me from talking about it. The next few years are gonna be fun!
...Let’s say you’re a standard chef over a group of 10. 5 of those 10 just cannot grasp the concepts and keep failing. You fire those 5 guys. 5 more are hired. Those 5 do the exact same as the 5 guys you just fired. What’s the head chef (your boss) thinking now? He’s probably thinking that maybe it isnt the people within the group, maybe it’s the person overseeing the group. What’s the head chef do? Fires the overseer and hires a new chef. You think the boss is going to sit there and keep thinking about all those people fired? You think the customers are going to keep thinking about those people fired? No. They’re thinking about how much better and relaxed they are because the food is so good now. That’s the stage we’re at right now.
Crazy analogy... First of all, Jurich wasn't mostly responsible for Pitino being on the payroll. Pitino was one of the highest paid State employees. Jurich couldn't make that decision; it was made principally by people above Jurich. But Jurich was the scapegoat, no question about that.

Secondly, Jurich's track record was far better than 5 outta 10. Coaches like Pitino and K-rag were far and away the exceptions. And they were both great hires when they were made which, again, is the context for those decisions--not how they turned out. ...Unless you have a crystal ball.

And I don't know too many people feeling great about U of L at the moment; in fact, I talk to plenty who are unhappy or at least reserving judgment. Again, you need to get around more and stop focusing on the past...

CCM is the head basketball coach at U of L. I will support him just as I supported DC, RP, and DP but I also exercise my right to reserve judgment. As far as I know Mack hasn’t won a game yet.

So, your answer to the question "which realistic candidate did we not interview?" is, what? Come on friend, I'm lobbing it up for you, you just have to hit it.

So, your answer to the question "which realistic candidate did we not interview?" is, what? Come on friend, I'm lobbing it up for you, you just have to hit it.
The only other candidate that could have got consideration was Eric Musselman, but not as much college experience and did not know the recruiting area.

Maybe wait for Billy Donovan to be fired and risk miss an entire recruiting period and let the roster be completely depleted. Hurley and Kermit Davis who aren't in Power conferences? Tom Crean? Was Coach K or Bill Self gonna leave their jobs? How about a bunch of hot, flavor of the month Mid-Major coaches?

Or maybe the Coach that went to the Elite 8 and had a 1 seed in the previous 2 seasons in a power conference...at a school near you...and WANTED to be at Louisville and treats it like a dream job? Mack was the best available.

I've given my list multiple times before...Donovan, Bennett, and Wright, for starters. There are easily a couple more who could be added.

I'm not sure why these guys have to be named again and again. I guess one will eventually die if that's what people are waiting for...

...Maybe wait for Billy Donovan to be fired and risk miss an entire recruiting period and let the roster be completely depleted...
Not that a slapd!ck requires an answer, but how well did that strategy work out for us?

i guess the rolodex of candidates won't ever be released so we'll never know who was contacted (agent or whatever).

iirc Jurich had Mack on top of his list if RP actually retired instead of setting the program at ramming speed into an iceberg.

I've given my list multiple times before...Donovan, Bennett, and Wright, for starters. There are easily a couple more who could be added.

I'm not sure why these guys have to be named again and again. I guess one will eventually die if that's what people are waiting for...

So your list of people include:
1. A coach who owns us year in and year out and just had the #1 overall seed, got beat by a 16 seed to make history, and is a PROVEN flameout in the tournament. LOL and Mack isn’t “elite”
2. A coach who has just won 2 championships in the last 3 years, turned down the Knicks jobs because he likes it where he’s at, and is at the best program in the nation the past 5 years.
3. A guy who won 2 titles SIMPLY because his entire team wanted to come back to win it again. Then he began to flameout the past couple of years and that’s why he moved to the NBA because he could see the decline, PLUS he has a great job in the NBA and isn’t going to be fired unless something unforesaken happens. He’s also tied to Pitino and absolutely 0 chance he would come here.

Yeah, I can see why you’re mad about the hire. You’re as delusional as Kentucky fans if you even think for a minute that any of those 3 guys would even think about coming here. You simply stand by those 3 guys just so you can be negative about Tyra, Mack, whomever when/if something doesn’t go positive for us in the future. You’re gonna play the “I told you so game” acting like you were right when even if Mack doesn’t do a great job, that still doesn’t mean at all that ANY of those 3 were plausible. Setting the bar “If Mack wins a championship year 1, then he’s a great coach.” LOL. That is the definition of being a stubborn Kentucky minded fan who simply is raising the bar unrealistically just so you can feel good about it when it doesn’t happen and so you can continue to bow down to Tommy boy and Porcini.

If I recall correctly, Pitino took us to the NIT several times.

This board is so full of delusion.

I have no doubt. Bennett’s scheme is designed to trap you high and trap you down low, but the high post makes that impossible because you have to pull one of your trappers to guard the man at the foul line. If they pull one from down low, you cut the wing on the opposite side of the key from the remaining low-post defender. When he moves to defend the cutter and commits, you either attempt to draw the foul or you have four options: pass to the other frontcourt player, the foul line player, the point who has moved to your spot on the wing or throw the outlet pass to the player on the opposite wing if there isn’t a defender in the passing lane. You need wings (2Gs/SF) who arent afraid of contact (Alvin Simms would be my prototype). If they don’t commit a low-post defender then the foul line player either takes the jumper or touch-passes back to the player running point.
This also has an added advantage of making the defense run more and expend energy. I would couple that with a 1-2-2 press into a 2-3 halfcourt to really take their legs out by late in the game.
Pardon me for not checking this thread in ages, as I felt it was totally off track, BUT it is the best analysis of attacking Bennett's defense I have seen.
Two elements are largely missing from today's game: 1) A center who is a good passer and 2) SFs who are not afraid of contact. IMO there in lies Bennett's under-performance come tourney time. They run into centers who can't jump or intimidate you, but otherwise are BB savvy. NTM guards and SF's who aren't afraid of taking to you and could care less about your reputation.

Pardon me for not checking this thread in ages, as I felt it was totally off track, BUT it is the best analysis of attacking Bennett's defense I have seen.
Two elements are largely missing from today's game: 1) A center who is a good passer and 2) SFs who are not afraid of contact. IMO there in lies Bennett's under-performance come tourney time. They run into centers who can't jump or intimidate you, but otherwise are BB savvy. NTM guards and SF's who aren't afraid of taking to you and could care less about your reputation.
I said this earlier in the thread, but the point comes up again...

It's curious that FOUR HOF coaches in the ACC routinely coaching against Bennett haven't figured out a way to consistently crack his defense, and one run by athletically inferior players. That tells me the task isn't as straightforward as people describe it or think it is. Also tells me that Bennett is a pretty damn good coach...

Last edited:
So your list of people include:
1. A coach who owns us year in and year out and just had the #1 overall seed, got beat by a 16 seed to make history, and is a PROVEN flameout in the tournament. LOL and Mack isn’t “elite”
2. A coach who has just won 2 championships in the last 3 years, turned down the Knicks jobs because he likes it where he’s at, and is at the best program in the nation the past 5 years.
3. A guy who won 2 titles SIMPLY because his entire team wanted to come back to win it again. Then he began to flameout the past couple of years and that’s why he moved to the NBA because he could see the decline, PLUS he has a great job in the NBA and isn’t going to be fired unless something unforesaken happens. He’s also tied to Pitino and absolutely 0 chance he would come here.

Yeah, I can see why you’re mad about the hire. You’re as delusional as Kentucky fans if you even think for a minute that any of those 3 guys would even think about coming here. You simply stand by those 3 guys just so you can be negative about Tyra, Mack, whomever when/if something doesn’t go positive for us in the future. You’re gonna play the “I told you so game” acting like you were right when even if Mack doesn’t do a great job, that still doesn’t mean at all that ANY of those 3 were plausible. Setting the bar “If Mack wins a championship year 1, then he’s a great coach.” LOL. That is the definition of being a stubborn Kentucky minded fan who simply is raising the bar unrealistically just so you can feel good about it when it doesn’t happen and so you can continue to bow down to Tommy boy and Porcini.

If I recall correctly, Pitino took us to the NIT several times.

This board is so full of delusion.
Two of the three have multiple championships and the third is routinely running roughshod over the best conference in the HISTORY of college basketball.

Yeah, those guys are pikers compared to Mack...

It's curious that FOUR HOF coaches in the ACC routinely coaching against Bennett haven't figured out a way to consistently crack his defense, and one run by athletically inferior players. That tells me the task isn't as straightforward as people describe it or think it is. Also tells me that Bennett is pretty damn good coach...
It blows my mind that the ACC coaches can’t figure it out as well because year in and year out double digit seeds and teams in other conferences kick his defense up and down the court in the tournament. Bennett must be very good at beating familiar opponents.

i guess the rolodex of candidates won't ever be released so we'll never know who was contacted (agent or whatever).

iirc Jurich had Mack on top of his list if RP actually retired instead of setting the program at ramming speed into an iceberg.
If better guys weren't contacted, that's one indictment of Tyra. If he couldn't land any of them, that's another indictment. I'm not sure which one Tyra apologists would rather defend.

Also, I've never heard Jurich hint at Mack being his top candidate. I have heard that privately, Jurich had Wright lined up to take the job...

Last edited:

It's curious that FOUR HOF coaches in the ACC routinely coaching against Bennett haven't figured out a way to consistently crack his defense, and one run by athletically inferior players. That tells me the task isn't as straightforward as people describe it or think it is. Also tells me that Bennett is pretty damn good coach...
No one is saying it is easy. My take on high 4 and 5* players is that they don't like contact. Too much AAU and not enough playground in their DNA. Duke and UNC are loaded with these players, as are we. Denny and his type of player would have mopped the floor with UVA and their scheme. JMO

Two of the three have multiple championships and the third is routinely running roughshod over the best conference in the HISTORY of college basketball.

Yeah, those guys are pikers compared to Mack...

You completely ignore the fact of why I said none of the 3 would've even listened.

If better guys weren't contacted, that's one indictment of Tyra. If he couldn't land any of them, that's another indictment. I'm not sure which one Tyra apologists would rather defend.

Also, I've never heard Jurich hint at Mack being his top candidate. I have heard that privately, Jurich had Wright lined up to take the job...

I'm not personally a huge fan of Jay Wright. I think he was a huge beneficiary of the Big East imploding and having Nova basically being a BE level school now in a conference with weaker program. So maybe that is why I'm not concerned about about him not being called, but who are these better candidates than Mack that should have been called before him? Where would you rank Mack on the list of who should have been contacted?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT