ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Vs Kentucky Discussion Thread

This game will be a measure of how far we’ve come since Texas Tech.

Both UK and TT were highly ranked preseason coming into our games on losing streaks. TT came out laser focused with high intensity like a desperate team usually exhibits and we couldn’t match it. UK will be playing like a pack of crazed dogs along with the fans desperation behind them. We have the better team, but not sure how we will do at matching their energy in this one, unless we have grown significantly from the same scenario vs TT.

I agree with you. This is one of my primary concerns about this game... a desperate UK team that is going to be playing at their absolute max intensity level. Cards have to match their intensity level without being overly anxious, keep UK out of transition and out of the lane. Have to make them play half-court and shoot 3s keeping an eye Sestina and Quigley.

Cats do not shoot or defend the 3 well. I think this will be one of the biggest stories/stat lines to follow.

It's a guard's game. Can Perry play solid enough? How does Kimble respond in this environment? I have a bad feeling Kimble is not going to handle this moment well. I hope that I'm wrong.

Cal will have his team locked in on Nwora so hoping Nwora does not force the action. This game has Dwayne Sutton and David Johnson written all over it. If they can avoid foul trouble, Enoch and/or Williams should have solid games as well. Would not surprise me at all if Williamson had a big game.

If not for UK losing 2 games in a row, I like the Cards by 10 or 15 points. Coming off of 2 losses and desperate in Rupp... It's more like s 5 to 7 point win for the Cards.

Cards have a much better team and should win this game. Anything can happen in 40 minutes though.

For a change, the pressure is on the cayuts. I know we are ranked higher and that brings its own pressure but they are playing at home, have lost two in a row and they will definitely see us as their super bowl. Will Cow succumb to this pressure the way Rick did, where he wanted to win this game so badly that he actually gets in his own way? Also, the blue bellies cannot have a ton of confidence. Confidence affects so much but especially shooting. If we defend like we did against Michigan and Pittsburgh their shooting will wilt quickly.
A fast start could go a long way to help us pull out a W.

Totally agree Big Louie ! . The one thing that always bothers me is that we never seem to make their BIG's work on defense. We always seem to allow them to stand around and clog the paint, which usually ends up in a block shot, steal or something. I would love to see Malik and Enoch impose a little ill-will down low early to establish something. But really for me it's protecting the ball, shot selection, i.e. a 3 is great but a easy within your range 2 in the gap works and counts as well, good defensive rotation ala Enoch please stop coming out high on a double team leaving your man WIDE A$$ open under the basket, McMahon keep moving just don't stand around at the 3 pt line clapping your hands waiting for the ball. Darius don't get overly aggressive on D early in the game to keep from picking up cheap fouls.Nwora be patient and play not only like you want to go to the NBA , but be Somebody in the NBA. And just overall play team smart and don't give them the freaking game for crying out loud. Coach Mack needs to be on point as well. If you smell smoke don't wait too long to grab a fire extinguisher.

Real talk family - Considering this specific game for once I would love nothing more than to see us hitting on all cylinders on both ends of the floor especially down on Vine St and not only win but give out an epic behind the woodshed,
" I told you, move your hands out the way" , strapping like Big Momma used to do when you was trying to show out in front of company.It would be as good as getting that first Red Ryder BB gun as a kid on Christmas haha.

All joking aside - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to the forum family , enjoy yourself and your families and be safe. Don't sweat the small stuff/family drama/etc and just have a good time for what it is. I envy many of you. I wish I could be home this year for the holidays and see my folks in LEX but I will continue to enjoy this weather here in Arizona . Catch you on Saturday !

Last edited:
Reactions: kentuckyshame
It doesn't seem to matter how mediocre a Uk team is in recent years, they are never easy to beat, especially at Rupp. There is a reason the UofL men haven't won there in a decade. Now, this UofL team could and probably should beat this Uk team but that is far from a sure thing in my mind.

This is a far from comprehensive list and not every factor is shown.

UofL Advantages:

-Appear to be the better overall team
-Have the best player in Nwora
-Are a better outside shooting team
-Front court advantage

Uk Advantages:

-At home in Rupp
-Back court advantage
-Will likely have an unheralded player play out of their minds against UofL then never duplicate that performance again

If the Cards are having a cold shooting night from tip off they probably lose. Uk will come out playing like their hair is on fire being at home, with home crowd, and not wanting to lose 3 straight.

If UofL plays defense like they did against Michigan, share the ball, and play smart they should win. If they play like they did against Texas Tech they'll lose ugly.

On the Scout board, someone made a thread saying they heard Darius turned his ankle in practice and may be out Saturday? Has anyone else heard that or was the trolling?

The very best thing about this game is it's NOT a conference game. A win is always nice, but in the grand scheme of things means very little. A loss in December to a non conference opponent sucks but does not hurt the overall objective of winning a conference championship while setting up what we all hope is a solid post season run.

IF the Cards play team basketball, they will beat UofK. IF we have players going rogue trying to play hero ball, we will lose. IMO it really is that simple this year.

Reactions: PushupMan
That’s the way I’ve always looked at it. Of course, most of my adult life has been spent in Indiana, so I have the luxury of not being confronted by very many UK fans.

The games that truly hurt to me were the losses in the 2012 Final Four, and the 2014 Sweet Sixteen. And of course the original dream game hurt UK fans so much that they decided to make it a law that UK and UofL play every year in basketball as a result.

Let’s win this one!

Reactions: zipp and Cue Card
That’s the way I’ve always looked at it. Of course, most of my adult life has been spent in Indiana, so I have the luxury of not being confronted by very many UK fans.

The games that truly hurt to me were the losses in the 2012 Final Four, and the 2014 Sweet Sixteen. And of course the original dream game hurt UK fans so much that they decided to make it a law that UK and UofL play every year in basketball as a result.

Let’s win this one!

Uh, excuse me, there is no law that forces this game. Was there discussion of a law, yes, but one was never passed nor was it necessary.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Uh, excuse me, there is no law that forces this game. Was there discussion of a law, yes, but one was never passed nor was it necessary.

I stand corrected. A bill was introduced in the state legislature in 1982, but was never passed.

Reactions: gocds

Pushup is correct.
I was threatened,but u ofk relented and agreed to play every year.

Similarly a Louisville legislator threatened a bill forcing the schools to continue the football series as it neared expiration.

Let’s win this one!

1987 tip in game. Cedric jenkins.
SMH

1993 opened the season against SuCkS. Rozier had 28 and 20.
Wheat and Osborne 0.

2004 Reece gaines hits back 2 back 3's cutting to 2. UofL has to inbound the ball, but Ellis Myles pass is wayward. You could see Reece hitting a buzzer beating 3 !

Let’s win this one!

2006 Padgett with 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes :mad:

2010, Rakeem and Gorgui gets hurt before the game. SVT played sparingly.

2013/2014 :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2015. If Damion Lee catches the inbound pass cleanly, buzzer beating 3 ??!!!

2006 Padgett with 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes :mad:

2010, Rakeem and Gorgui gets hurt before the game. SVT played sparingly.

2013/2014 :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

2015. If Damion Lee catches the inbound pass cleanly, buzzer beating 3 ??!!!
The second half 16 point collapse and the Patrick two step shuffle Sparks is the one game which still irks me when I think about it too much. It's good to get all this bad mojo out and purged from reoccurring. :D

The second half 16 point collapse and the Patrick two step shuffle Sparks is the one game which still irks me when I think about it too much. It's good to get all this bad mojo out and purged from reoccurring. :D

4got about that.

So hypothetically
SuCkS would lead the series 27-24

Reactions: Cue Card and gocds
The very best thing about this game is it's NOT a conference game. A win is always nice, but in the grand scheme of things means very little. A loss in December to a non conference opponent sucks but does not hurt the overall objective of winning a conference championship while setting up what we all hope is a solid post season run.

IF the Cards play team basketball, they will beat UofK. IF we have players going rogue trying to play hero ball, we will lose. IMO it really is that simple this year.
I don’t know. The Duke UNC rivalry is cheapen by the fact that they play twice every year and possibly 3 times counting tournament play. It’s not even bragging rights for 1 year. The main difference is both teams have been successful against each other. Here lately that’s not true with our series. If we were in the same conference, we might not win a conference tournament or regular season. I like the rivalry and the “hate” but we’re not holding our end of it. Carolina and Duke for the most part respect each other, at least coaches, real basketball fans.

Expect to see the coaching job that led up to the Michigan game. Our team could've ran through a brick wall that day.
Believe me,we will come to play.

Reactions: PHCARD

Honest question. Is this the way this site is ran? You, PHCARD (who liked your post) and the other Mods bait people, use Mod status to justify the abrasiveness, and then ban them when they push back? I'm honestly trying to figure out how to navigate this place.

This site has the most user friendly platform available (I built my MMA forum with it), and reaches a pretty large audience via radio & social media. One would think it would be the most populated board for Cards fans, but yet it doesn't have a lot of traffic. I've wondered why and have briefly discussed how to change that with Ennis offline, because I'd love to see it grow & Mark do well in the process. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because you all run people off with the abrasiveness, baiting, and expectations of everyone having the same opinions.

Now, to answer your question. UK is a mess right now. We have a better team for once. Mack needs to have the guys ready to go in there and win this game, period.

Last edited:
All I know is, Mack better win this game.

Honest question. Is this the way this site is ran? You, PHCARD (who liked your post) and the other Mods bait people, use Mod status to justify the abrasiveness, and then ban them when they push back? I'm honestly trying to figure out how to navigate this place.

This site has the most user friendly platform available (I built my MMA forum with it), and reaches a pretty large audience via radio & social media. One would think it would be the most populated board for Cards fans, but yet it doesn't have a lot of traffic. I've wondered why and have briefly discussed how to change that with Ennis offline, because I'd love to see it grow & Mark do well in the process. I'm beginning to wonder if it's because you all run people off with the abrasiveness, baiting, and expectations of everyone having the same opinions.

Now, to answer your question. UK is a mess right now. We have a better team for once. Mack needs to have the guys ready to go in there and win this game, period.

But your original post came across as a threat. “He better win or else” type of threat. Uahkay lost to a team that lost by 28 a day or so later. We looked like crap versus Texas Tech and life went on. This is a game we NEED to win but life and the ACC will go on regardless.

But your original post came across as a threat. “He better win or else” type of threat. Uahkay lost to a team that lost by 28 a day or so later. We looked like crap versus Texas Tech and life went on. This is a game we NEED to win but life and the ACC will go on regardless.
We have only won twice in the last 12 games against the kitties. It’s time to rewrite the script and not just concede that we will lose and the ACC is more important. Why can’t we have it all?

Oops somehow I posted within your post

There will be more than just a few future professional basketball players on the floor tomorrow for both teams. That fact alone should give us a shot at watching high talent entertain us. Then factor in those who won't be playing pro ball who will also be out there competing with all their might. THOSE kids make the college game even more special for me. The insane talent is always great to watch, but it's equally great watching a kid who doesn't have that same level of talent compete with pure heart and desire. That's the very best part of college basketball for me.

Go CARDS!!!

Threat? Good Lord, dial the drama back about 8 notches. All I'm saying is, he needs to win this game. Otherwise, it may be a while before he gets another opportunity to do so, because we lose a ton after this season, and they have another loaded class coming in (and we don't). He also needs to win, because on some level, I think he needs to prove he can win big games. He got bounced early as a 1 seed at Xavier, he blew the Duke game, last year didn't end well, etc.

I wasn't a fan of the hire from Day 1. I thought it was a good hire, in terms of being someone to bring stability back to the program. I didn't think it was a great hire in terms of his style of play and X's and O's. I hope he proves me wrong, big time.

Threat? Good Lord, dial the drama back about 8 notches. All I'm saying is, he needs to win this game. Otherwise, it may be a while before he gets another opportunity to do so, because we lose a ton after this season, and they have another loaded class coming in (and we don't). He also needs to win, because on some level, I think he needs to prove he can win big games. He got bounced early as a 1 seed at Xavier, he blew the Duke game, last year didn't end well, etc.

I wasn't a fan of the hire from Day 1. I thought it was a good hire, in terms of being someone to bring stability back to the program. I didn't think it was a great hire in terms of his style of play and X's and O's. I hope he proves me wrong, big time.

Great, We now have an expert with 16 post to their credit. Yes, it came off as a THREAT.

Great, We now have an expert with 16 post to their credit. Yes, it came off as a THREAT.

Give me 30 years, and I'll try to get to 16,406. Maybe then I can have the e-cred that you seem to desperately seek.

Garbage post

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
He also needs to win, because on some level, I think he needs to prove he can win big games. He got bounced early as a 1 seed at Xavier, he blew the Duke game, last year didn't end well, etc.

He's got wins at UNC, and a few nice home wins vs Mich St and Michigan. Michigan came into town knocking on #1 door after their Maui. They came in ranked in the top 5. That's a big win.

The wins last year were big wins Mich St hit the FF and UNC was a 1 seed.

After off court issues they really aren't supposed to be where they are. Last year they were picked to run 11th in the ACC. Teams typically have multiple crud years before bouncing back after major off court issues - so he's really beat the clock in that regard, and that shouldn't be forgotten.

I'm not sure how good of a hire he's going to end up being either. But the game tomorrow shouldn't be all that much of a barometer. I started having mild concerns about him when he trotted Fore out there heavy minutes essentially playing 4 on 5 last year. And I'm not really sure what's going on with the usage of Williamson right now either. Late game meltdowns are also concerning, for sure. Is the team going to trend/fade end of season as a pattern? All these big wins were early in the year. Then again, the game tomorrow is early in the year!

And the team, it can be argued, is soft. They play just fine as front runners. But teams like Tech, Minny last year, just get into them physically and they've shown a tendency to back down. So yeah, for sure, I see potential concerns.

But it's December year two, I give the guy more time before heavy critique. He is supposed to have a big year. I think he can accomplish that with or without a W Saturday.

Nothing wrong with your mindset though. I hear you.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
He's got wins at UNC, and a few nice home wins vs Mich St and Michigan. Michigan came into town knocking on #1 door after their Maui. They came in ranked in the top 5. That's a big win.

The wins last year were big wins Mich St hit the FF and UNC was a 1 seed.

After off court issues they really aren't supposed to be where they are. Last year they were picked to run 11th in the ACC. Teams typically have multiple crud years before bouncing back after major off court issues - so he's really beat the clock in that regard, and that shouldn't be forgotten.

I'm not sure how good of a hire he's going to end up being either. But the game tomorrow shouldn't be all that much of a barometer. I started having mild concerns about him when he trotted Fore out there heavy minutes essentially playing 4 on 5 last year. And I'm not really sure what's going on with the usage of Williamson right now either. Late game meltdowns are also concerning, for sure. Is the team going to trend/fade end of season as a pattern? All these big wins were early in the year. Then again, the game tomorrow is early in the year!

And the team, it can be argued, is soft. They play just fine as front runners. But teams like Tech, Minny last year, just get into them physically and they've shown a tendency to back down. So yeah, for sure, I see potential concerns.

But it's December year two, I give the guy more time before heavy critique. He is supposed to have a big year. I think he can accomplish that with or without a W Saturday.

Nothing wrong with your mindset though. I hear you.

Good post. Respectful debate. How it should be, so I appreciate that. Good points on the wins at UNC, vs Michigan, etc. Maybe I’m cynical, but I’m just not sold on Mack being able to win big here. Like I said, I hope he proves me wrong in a big way.

He’s raised some eyebrows but not sure he needs to be banned.. yet. Maybe if he divulged who he thought we should have got instead of Mack? With more posts, he will uncover his true self and identity.

@PHCARD

Get rid of this .

So basically what you want is a safe space where you’re free to tell people their posts are garbage, without offering intelligent or respectful debate. But when they post something as equally immature as you (which I did purposely because I recall this how you like to operate from the other site), you cry to the Mods. That’s a great culture to build here.

He’s raised some eyebrows but not sure he needs to be banned.. yet. Maybe if he divulged who he thought we should have got instead of Mack? With more posts, he will uncover his true self and identity.

I am MMACard from the other site. Was Cardman1971 before they switched over & usernames were lost. Been posting on Cards forums for a decade, and have watched our fanbase slowly become more and more like those posting on Catspause, where anyone that challenges or questions a coach or player, is labeled a troll.

Who would I have preferred we hired? I’m not sure I have an honest answer to that question. All I know is, I wasn’t as hyped about the Mack hire as most because his Xavier teams tended to give up a lot of points in big games, folded early in the tournament, and I didn’t like how he handled that brawl situation against Cincy. Like I said, I want nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. Big time. Beating UK this year, with a better team, would be a start. A run to the FF would go a long way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT