ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs Cuse Game Thread

Even when we're a bad team, we still don't get the calls or the lucky breaks. You would think with everything this program has gone through, they could use a little good fortune.

That was not goaltending and they didn't change it because doing so would have taken away the follow up basket. No matter what, Syracuse was going to score on that play. Just more typical bad luck for this team, like the last second loss against Texas.

It would be a miracle if this team won back to back ACC games.

funny thing is how similar we are to uk right now, they just have more talent but exact same thing going on. they can score 90-100+ on any given day it seems but they cannot stop anyone on defense when needed. imagine if this team could play just a little more d, like 10-15% more then we'd probably win the majority of our remaining games. for those who don;t think kp is coaching, you can't score 90+ in back to back games without it. problem is defense. and uk shows us that's not an easy task to coach. but our guys just put up 94 points against a zone team. for those who hate kp, you must now realize that there is actual coaching going on and he'll be here in year 3, no doubt.

funny thing is how similar we are to uk right now, they just have more talent but exact same thing going on. they can score 90-100+ on any given day it seems but they cannot stop anyone on defense when needed. imagine if this team could play just a little more d, like 10-15% more then we'd probably win the majority of our remaining games. for those who don;t think kp is coaching, you can't score 90+ in back to back games without it. problem is defense. and uk shows us that's not an easy task to coach. but our guys just put up 94 points against a zone team. for those who hate kp, you must now realize that there is actual coaching going on and he'll be here in year 3, no doubt.
Totally disagree with this. It doesn't take coaching to roll the ball onto the court and tell someone to try to score, it does take coaching to tell a player, hey you need to defend your player, defend the goal, and rebound. Remember that wasn't Boeheim's zone.

Defense is where coaching starts. Sorry, he doesn't get credit for only coaching half the game. As far as the offense with this talent in a dribble drive offense not sure he gets that much credit with a zillion turnovers every game.

Totally disagree with this. It doesn't take coaching to roll the ball onto the court and tell someone to try to score, it does take coaching to tell a player, hey you need to defend your player, defend the goal, and rebound. Remember that wasn't Boeheim's zone.
it takes 5 players on the court to score. and you'll never jsut put 5 players out there, roll the ball, and have them score 100+ then 94 points in back to back games. get some reality. this team has gotten better and better. not as fast as you want them to, but they are missing 5 players from what they thought they'd have this year. and btw, defense is the hardest thing to coach, especially without senior leaders who know the system. and if you look at the stats, our offense is arguably the best in school history. and it doens't matter who's zone we were up against, it is massive progress since indiana threw their zzone at us. remember that game? and now look at what we did, that's coaching adn progress. simple facts, sorry you can't handle the truth

I have no opinion I'm just waiting for the season to end to see what happens. Rooting for the team each game. I salute @glassmanJ for sharing an unpopular opinion in a hornet's nest.

The implication being that LPT is getting that level of coaching? I think the average slapd!ck would disagree with you.

I see it like @glassmanJ does…

Coaching is teaching is it not? A good teacher will just not supply the education information to the student, but work with the students who are not adept as others are. A good teacher will formulate an environment that makes learning interesting and gratifying.

KP is the head coach so he coaches from the sidelines each game. No one is saying that he isn't coaching, only that his coaching isn't leading to success and there isn't a lot of confidence that it ever will.

My issue with KP goes beyond his ability to teach basketball to young players, but more of his inexperience in running such a big program. He is not a natural with charisma and fortitude that is easily displayed. He looks like and is over his head as head coach of Louisville.

The team has improved offensively since the rotation went to seven players. Injuries forced this but the head coach should have seen this before the injuries and not substituted as much as he was doing. He has no doubt realized this now which should show he has to learn on the job.

And the head coach of UofL should not be learning on the job, which would still be the case in a year three.

So if you're a fan who wants immediate return to elite basketball, then a coaching change is needed. A hiring of someone who is already at or near the top of his ability. If you're a fan who's willing to suffer the learning curve that a first time head coach will bring, then giving KP 3 to 5 years is acceptable.

I'm not sure KP has learned that much. He started his kid a few weeks ago. The stiff from Miami a few times too. He still threads the needle to get his son into games, and when you lose by 2 pts it's fair to look at how that might have cost the team a win. His son isn't even good enough to be a walk-on here, much less start! or see time in a 1st half off the bench.

I just don't think winning is the high priority for him, it's more about his players and their well-being for him. He probably believes wins can come along with it all. No clue when he expects that to start happening.

That said, I'm unsure wins is the priority for the higher-ups either. If it was, they hold Pitino, and don't hire KP. The reality is a lot went into this hire, and that's why fans probably need to prepare themselves for this KP era to be indefinite. If it is, I hope his method gets rewarded at some point.

Nothing anyone posting here can do about it.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I'm not sure KP has learned that much. He started his kid a few weeks ago. The stiff from Miami a few times too. He still threads the needle to get his son into games, and when you lose by 2 pts it's fair to look at how that might have cost the team a win. His son isn't even good enough to be a walk-on here, much less start! or see time in a 1st half off the bench.

I just don't think winning is the high priority for him, it's more about his players and their well-being for him. He probably believes wins can come along with it all. No clue when he expects that to start happening.

That said, I'm unsure wins is the priority for the higher-ups either. If it was, they hold Pitino, and don't hire KP. The reality is a lot went into this hire, and that's why fans probably need to prepare themselves for this KP era to be indefinite. If it is, I hope his method gets rewarded at some point.

Nothing anyone posting here can do about it.
Well, the two free throws ZP missed were the difference in the game.

…My issue with KP goes beyond his ability to teach basketball to young players, but more of his inexperience in running such a big program. He is not a natural with charisma and fortitude that is easily displayed. He looks like and is over his head as head coach of Louisville…
Not disagreeing with that at all. But most of the fan frustrations target the head coach.

Aren’t your comments more an indictment of the people who hired him? And should anyone expect improvement if we just repeat that hiring process?…

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
I'm mostly following games online, but my guess is he's costing the team quite a few points on both ends of the floor. It's pretty much 4 on 5 when he's in there. It's just an atrocious out of touch decision by KP to ever play his son. Starting him @ WF was inexcusable.

But all that said it points to a bigger question as to what's the priority for the program these days? For KP it's about the players. Wanting to see them individually enjoy their time and grow as people, not winning as a priority. There's just no way anyone is looking at that roster and saying, "I think our best strategy to win is to start Zan."

To be clear if KP is here indefinitely I will root for KP to get the last laugh. Things don't look good so far.

And the blow by - by his man immediately after the missed FTs for a layup.

The worst part is the feeling that he’d get more clock if he could actually make it up and down the court more than twice without needing an oxygen tent.

Not disagreeing with that at all. But most of the fan frustrations target the head coach.

Aren’t your comments more an indictment of the people who hired him? And should anyone expect improvement if we just repeat that hiring process?…
I mean - does your kazoo ever play another tune?

Aren’t your comments more an indictment of the people - not named (my secret BFF) Tom Jurich - who hired him? And should anyone expect improvement if we just repeat that hiring process without (my secret BFF) Tom Jurich being in charge?”

I definitely agree winning is not a priority for KP. He says that over and over. That is the problem. To me while a head coach may have a tolerance for failing you can’t tell your team and your fans winning isn’t the priority. The priority is always the success of the program the players and fans are the beneficiaries of that success. While the players are key to the success it can’t only be about the players. When it only about the individual players success winning games becomes unimportant to players and fans. We are watching happen.

It is definitely right out the the Cal PR book. Cal gets away with it, not so much now, because he freaking wins.

I completely disagree that the Athletic Department and University don’t prioritize winning in its most important sport. You don’t prioritize winning in all the other programs and not the one or two sports that helps the other sports win.

I completely agree politics and transitional leadership led to the hiring of KP. If they keep him I will probably start coming around to the idea they aren’t prioritizing basketball.

Who’s responsible for hiring a guy with no experience? Hand me that saxophone…
The more accurate question would be - who’s responsible for pressuring UofL into hiring a guy with no experience? The answer to that is, Bridgeman & Houston primarily - eaves, maybin and DEI secondarily.

No question it was a risky hire by Heird - one that’s blown up in everyone’s collective faces - much in the same way it ultimately did when Jurich hired petrino the 2nd time.

If they don't call goaltending, it would have been a sure follow up dunk by the Cuse..
That's like saying had they not called a charge we would've had two more points.. The fact the Cuse player made the follow up means nothing. On a blown call or inadvertent whistle possession is determined by the possession arrow which favored Louisville. How fair that is, is no different than any other bad call.. There were plenty others.

Ref’s are there to enforce the rules. They may have to interpret rules from time to time. What they should never do is make a call go to review it then start playing out a scenario. They missed a foul and Syracuse was going to score anyway. Let the goal tending stand.

Never should be the case. By rule was it goal tending, yes or no. There is no one that believes that was goal tending. Those officials should be suspended. That decision while meaningless for either teams season sets a precedent it is OK for officials to lie and make shit up. The integrity of the game is tainted.

Keep in mind Syracuse 14-8 is going to have more value for the ACC as a bubble team next month than UofL and their 7-15 or whatever it is. I'm not saying it's full-blown conspiracy these days. I don't watch games, my general opinion is refs are just incompetent in general.

But if you feel you see a poorly officiated game take a look at all your data, not just the actual game played.

Long story short, UofL has no value to the ACC. They weren't treated all that well when they were competitive when first joining, they sure aren't going to be treated well as a bottom feeder.

There were plenty others.
How many blocking calls?Five?Six?
The initiation continues into decade 2 or thereabouts. The thing is,Syracuse came into the league when we did. I guess they finished paying their dues already. Smdh

Your leaders, whoever they are, had cover to fire KP after year one. A historically bad season, they could have stood up in front of all the mics and been able to pull the plug.

They certainly had the cover after DePaul and Arky St games this year, it has been a disaster.

But they didn't.

They didn't do it because this hire has a lot of layers to it. It's not that they prefer to lose, although some could make that argument, but winning is just not your top priority. If he is retained after the finish line this year, the picture is clear and while it's okay to stick with it you at least have to realize priorities are not aligned with majority of the fans.

The overall goal is probably to win with the former player diversity and player centric method. The issue is he's been so bad he lost a ton of fans.

Answers on the way.

I was waiting for this response. Question? Who hired Rick Pitino and Bobby Petrino. Two coaches who have been blamed for basically destroying their respective sport at U of L. So by your own admission, we were 100% correct in firing Tom Jurich according to your reasoning. Hmm...

That's like saying had they not called a charge we would've had two more points.. The fact the Cuse player made the follow up means nothing. On a blown call or inadvertent whistle possession is determined by the possession arrow which favored Louisville. How fair that is, is no different than any other bad call.. There were plenty others.
No, what I'm saying is that by calling the goaltend, that actually gave us time to set up a play to win or tie the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT