ADVERTISEMENT

How can we beat ND

Jonk71

Getting the Hang of It
Nov 9, 2018
On paper ND looks like a good bet to win this game. I’ve watched a dozen or more of the YouTube clips that give us little to no chance of winning this game.
I think Jeff and Brian will need to come up with a near perfect game plan to give Plummer a chance to run a balance between the run and passing game. Our defense will have its work cut out for them. Hopefully they can put some pressure on Hartman and he does a repeat of last year. I think time of possession could be key to the game.
Several other factors may give our Cards a chance. A great home environment crowd, coaching edge to UL.
Go Cards

I disagree. On paper, I don't see this juggernaut ND team. I think they're overrated at #10.

So they blew out their two cupcake opponents. Throw them out just like the Cards Murray and BC games.

The Irish played a good game against NC State on the road, but the Wolfpack as we have seen are not very good and have changed their QB.

ND did just beat Duke on the road but it wasn't exactly convincing and Duke has just been living off their first game when they beat a struggling Clemson team. They beat three cupcakes after that and was ridiculously ranked #17. Their QB is being drooled over but has only 3 TD passes on the season. Duke's ranking will be short lived, especially after they play the Cards.

Then there's ND's only defeat against OSU. I watched that game and once again, it was two blueblood programs struggling offensively. OSU has already shown that they're not the same juggernaut without a NFL QB.

ND has a very good defense that is true, but this is their 3rd road game against a ACC team and I believe Louisville is the best team of the three.

I like the Cards chances and I think they're going to prove that ND is a bit overhyped.

Louisville 23
Notre Dame 17

If Louisville defense can get Hartman to 2 or 3 INT’s, but the main key for Louisville is our running game, if we run better than last week, we’ll win the game with us running down the clock with the lead.

If Louisville defense can get Hartman to 2 or 3 INT’s, but the main key for Louisville is our running game, if we run better than last week, we’ll win the game with us running down the clock with the lead.

We have to overcome a few issues.

1) Plummer handling a pass rush
2) Plummer not throwing picks
3) Establishing the run
4) CJB has to actually call more than 1 or 2 running plays.
5) Run plays that are designed to slow the blitz.
6) Stop the ND run game
7) Score at least 25 points

Jeff and Brian both understand the importance of pass protection, and as good as NCST was pressuring Plummer, ND‘s defensive pressure will be even more difficult to stop.

I would not be at all surprised to see two-back sets as one option to provide increased blocking to afford Jack with more time in the pocket. Last week’s effort to run Jordan off tackle on the right side of our OL was so predictable and telegraphed, that NCST moved 6 defenders laterally at the snap so quickly that it eliminated any seam for Jordan atbthe LOS, not once did Jordan attempt to mis-direct ……… I expect to see offensive sets that we have not seen before Saturday night.

The old fashioned way: simply score more points then they do...that will do it.

Seriously, The Cards will need to out physical them at both lines of scrimmage...do that and things will fall into place. Don't do that and ND will stomp a mud hole in us.

Gotta man up and wear our big boy pants for this one. Gotta show up to fight and claw out the W.

Let's play some FB men!

I disagree. On paper, I don't see this juggernaut ND team. I think they're overrated at #10.

So they blew out their two cupcake opponents. Throw them out just like the Cards Murray and BC games.

The Irish played a good game against NC State on the road, but the Wolfpack as we have seen are not very good and have changed their QB.

ND did just beat Duke on the road but it wasn't exactly convincing and Duke has just been living off their first game when they beat a struggling Clemson team. They beat three cupcakes after that and was ridiculously ranked #17. Their QB is being drooled over but has only 3 TD passes on the season. Duke's ranking will be short lived, especially after they play the Cards.

Then there's ND's only defeat against OSU. I watched that game and once again, it was two blueblood programs struggling offensively. OSU has already shown that they're not the same juggernaut without a NFL QB.

ND has a very good defense that is true, but this is their 3rd road game against a ACC team and I believe Louisville is the best team of the three.

I like the Cards chances and I think they're going to prove that ND is a bit overhyped.

Louisville 23
Notre Dame 17
So who are the 10-15 teams you think are better if ND is overrated at 10?
You have watched all those teams’ games too & they all have played better competition & looked better than ND?

JB get those guys in formation sooner and allow Plummer and the O line to figure out where the pressure will be coming from. It will most assuredly be coming.
Plummer has to know what his outs are. We have to be able to throw it to run it.

Go Cards!

1. Run the football with success; playaction is big with Plummer as the bulk of his deep shots come off of it
2. Take care of the football; no turnovers at home is playing on house money
3. Make Notre Dame one dimensional; they stuck with getting rock into Estime's hands and it ultimately bore fruit against NC State and Duke...of all points, this one is the heftiest chore because we haven't faced anyone as physical as Notre Dame offensively in years.

Reactions: JTMPR
So who are the 10-15 teams you think are better if ND is overrated at 10?
You have watched all those teams’ games too & they all have played better competition & looked better than ND?
ND is most always overhyped which leads to being overrated. Their status gives them the benefit of the doubt, this despite the long bowl game losing streak they had the past decade.

Watching the NC State, OSU and Duke games, I don't see a top 10 team. I do however admit I don't know if there's enough teams currently behind them that are better.

Last week against Duke, they were about to lose until that 4th and long scramble by Hartman. Duke is way overrated and I can name several teams that should be ahead of them.

I know Louisville has to play a physical, error-free game to win. I'm not saying ND sucks, just that they're not some scary ass team that the Cards have only a 25 percent chance of beating. We're not playing Michigan or Texas or Oregon.

Louisville has fared quite well recently against the Irish. I remember Reggie Bonnafan beating them up there a few years ago. Louisville at home, under the lights with a sold out crowd for me gives them a 50/50 chance to win. ND fans should be much more worried than they was against Duke.

Plus ND plays USC next so this can be a trap game for them.

ND is far from unbeatable because they allow decent teams to stay close. I remember their first game this year how everyone anointed them the second coming.

ND is far from unbeatable because they allow decent teams to stay close. I remember their first game this year how everyone anointed them the second coming.
Of course ND is beatable.
But I think they are still one of the best 5-6 teams in the country.
The only decent team they allowed to stay close was Duke.
OSU & ND were evenly matched as could be.
ND blew out everyone else.
ND has been killing themselves with penalties.
I’m worried more about the horrid ACC officials.
Not bad officials making bad calls, but the fact that in 4 games this year with ACC officials, 3 times they didn’t even know the rules.
They didn’t review a play in a game because they said it wasn’t reviewable. The rules expert was screaming on TV it was. He was right. It was reviewable.
Then next, that reviewed a personal foul, roughing the passer, but without targeting. That isn’t reviewable (the personal foul roughing the passer by itself isn’t reviewable).
Third, they reviewed a punt wether it was a touchback or not, which wasn’t reviewable unless it touched the pylon (which is didn’t).

So the fact that 3 times in 4 games the ACC officials didn’t know the rules bothers me.

That’s not even counting the bad officiating you normally see from ACC officials.
It was reported last week that ND had concern with how many plays they had to submit to the ACC review (like every team does each week), because of how bad the officiating was. (Not your normal holding, PI, etc… stuff).
An ND site put up five plays that were sent in and showed them on Twitter. All ACC crews.
1) Opponent snapped the ball from the 5, the Center runs into the EZ (which is really easy to see), the QB throws the pass into the EZ (so obviously pass the LOS). The official throws the flag for illegal man down field.
Then the head official runs up to him, talks to him, they pick the flag up. Announce he wasn’t pass 3 yards? The ball was snapped at the 5 & dude was two yards deep in the EZ trying to block a LB. LOL

2) Defender gets beat off the ball so grabs the WR to stop the long TD pass. WR keeps running & defender just holds him all the way down the field. QB smartly throws it that way to get PI instead of holding (huge difference in yards). The official on that sideline, watching the entire situation from snap, correctly throws the flag. The backjudge runs over and talks to him, they pick the flag up. Announce it wasn’t catchable. The rules expert jumps on & says of course it wasn’t catchable, because the WR was held for 20 yards, which the backjudge wouldn’t see, so the official who threw the flag was correct in the first place.

3) QB rolls out of the pocket running a high low concept with his WR & TE both running outs. He is about to throw to the TE & the LB just tackles the TE. So the QB smartly just throws it across the LOS over their heads out of bounds to get the defensive hold penalty (you have to throw a legal forward pass across the LOS for that to be a penalty). Officials pick up flag. No reason given.

4) Pretty straight forward. DT beats the Guard to the inside, free run at QB, Guard does what he is taught, and straight up tackles the DT around the waist from behind to perfect his QB. We have all see it a million times. Ref staring at it pulls his flag, but doesn’t throw it. Then you can see him between plays putting it back in his pocket while Marcus Freeman is going apesh!t.

5) ND defender lines up across from WR. Looks at sidejudge for thumbs up he is onsides, sidejudge gives it to him. He then crouches down & his face mask is literally in the neutral zone, feet never move from original spot, ball snapped, same sidejudge immediately throws flag, calls offsides.

So, not talking the normal bad stuff that happens in every game, but horrible officiating (changing calls when the first was correct) or just flat out not knowing the rules has been the issue.

Last edited:
Too long. If ND is top 5 then it’s a weak weak year.
Serious question?
What do you know about ND’s actual roster?

QB: Not NFL prototype but great college QB.
RB: Loaded position.
TE: Loaded position.
WR: Team weakness with injuries, but 3 coming back this weekend.
OL: Always great position.
DL: Has the 1st & 6th rated DL in the country currently.
LB: All 3 starters back.
CB: Best position on team. Morrison (All American) & Hart (4 year starter). Showed it against OSU.
Safety: Second weakest position on team, but 3 INTs already.

There have been many years where I didn’t think ND could compete with top 3 teams.
This year, there is no team in the country I would say that about. They outplayed OSU & should have won, but screwed themselves over.

Serious question?
What do you know about ND’s actual roster?

QB: Not NFL prototype but great college QB.
RB: Loaded position.
TE: Loaded position.
WR: Team weakness with injuries, but 3 coming back this weekend.
OL: Always great position.
DL: Has the 1st & 6th rated DL in the country currently.
LB: All 3 starters back.
CB: Best position on team. Morrison (All American) & Hart (4 year starter). Showed it against OSU.
Safety: Second weakest position on team, but 3 INTs already.

There have been many years where I didn’t think ND could compete with top 3 teams.
This year, there is no team in the country I would say that about. They outplayed OSU & should have won, but screwed themselves over.
I know they can’t score or they would be

I know they can’t score or they would be
They averaged 45 points a game the first 4 games (including 45 against at NCState & 42 in only 7 possessions vs Navy) before they lost 4 WRs & a TE.
They bring 3 of those 5 back this week.

Also, I picked Duke to beat them last week.
Everyone I talked to I know around the program told me last week ND players were mentally & physically broken all week after what happened against OSU.
Playing #17 on the road, broken, & still won.
I would take absolutely nothing out of that game. I would judge ND by their other 5 games. That was a depleted team (roster wise) & mentally checked out.

Duke was not a legit #17 team. That is clearly obvious. ND is not a top 5 team but if they finish 11 and 1 they will be.

Louisville has quite a bit of talent as well both on offense and defense. Cards are loaded at the skill positions, have a large OL including a pre season all conference player in Hudson.

Plummer is not as revered as Hartman but neither are NFL certain. Both are above average college QB's.

On defense, the Cards are very deep in the secondary as they are on the DL. Gilotte is another all conference player. The LB position is young but talented.

But Louisville wasn't even considered a top 25 team until they beat NC State. I'm not saying the Cards should be ranked ahead of ND or is even the better team. I'm saying ND isn't anything the Cards haven't seen and defeated before.

If Louisville was facing Texas or Oregon I wouldn't have much confidence in a Cards win, but that's not the case with ND. Watching them against Duke I wasn't very impressed, so I watched a replay of ND's game against OSU and it was much the same. And OSU is nothing like they have been the last decade.

Now injuries do make a difference and maybe these players return will make that difference? What I do know is Louisville is much better than most people believe and the world will see tomorrow night.

Duke was not a legit #17 team. That is clearly obvious. ND is not a top 5 team but if they finish 11 and 1 they will be.

Louisville has quite a bit of talent as well both on offense and defense. Cards are loaded at the skill positions, have a large OL including a pre season all conference player in Hudson.

Plummer is not as revered as Hartman but neither are NFL certain. Both are above average college QB's.

On defense, the Cards are very deep in the secondary as they are on the DL. Gilotte is another all conference player. The LB position is young but talented.

But Louisville wasn't even considered a top 25 team until they beat NC State. I'm not saying the Cards should be ranked ahead of ND or is even the better team. I'm saying ND isn't anything the Cards haven't seen and defeated before.

If Louisville was facing Texas or Oregon I wouldn't have much confidence in a Cards win, but that's not the case with ND. Watching them against Duke I wasn't very impressed, so I watched a replay of ND's game against OSU and it was much the same. And OSU is nothing like they have been the last decade.

Now injuries do make a difference and maybe these players return will make that difference? What I do know is Louisville is much better than most people believe and the world will see tomorrow night.
I’ve said nothing negative about Louisville.
I have no problem with Louisville being ranked or the spread being only 6.5

And this might come as a surprise, but OSU has more blue chip players & a higher rated class average making up their roster than anytime in their history.
They just don’t have a top 3 QB as usual.

ND’s weakest position on the roster is receiver.
The fact they lost their 3 most experienced & two best receivers (Salerno, Colzie & Thomas) & their leading TD receiver (Greathouse), and had only 3 scholarship receivers, one a RB (Tyree), one a RS Freshman (Merriweather) & one a true Freshman (Flores), playing, & still won, isn’t horrible. ND literally was running close to half of their plays with 2 RBs & 2 TEs last week. (45% according to the Athletic).

They get Thomas, Greathouse & TE Raridon back this week.

I hope you’re right. I was really concerned about the LOS but it sounds like we will be ok. I was thinking ND had the edge in that department

I hope you’re right. I was really concerned about the LOS but it sounds like we will be ok. I was thinking ND had the edge in that department
I’m not trying to be a homer, but ND has the clear advantage in the trenches. Brohm has all but admitted it himself.
He has talked about throwing over the top to keep his QB from pressures & how they will have to bring extra in the box to stop ND’s run game.

I’m not trying to be a homer, but ND has the clear advantage in the trenches. Brohm has all but admitted it himself.
He has talked about throwing over the top to keep his QB from pressures & how they will have to bring extra in the box to stop ND’s run game.
No he didn’t. He said the same identical thing as he did after the NCST game. They blitzed almost every down and played tight coverage on our receiver’s. He said he didn’t do a good job giving Plummer time to throw over the top of them. Exact words.

The Cards OL is huge and experienced. Don't see no obvious advantage there for ND. If ND blitzes like NCST Brohm will have something for that.

ND has the advantage with their OL against the Cards DL and stopping the ND running game will be a challenge.

Louisville is not some undersized team. They're a physical team with a creative play caller who wants to utilize speed and power. Now if he can accomplish this against ND is the question. I think he can.

I will say this about ND … they are not as talented as many of you guys think. Yes on paper according to their recruiting rankings they are way more talented. But it’s been a fairly consistent reality over the years that when a kid commits to ND… or is even just being recruited by ND. These kids get a ranking boost. Most of their guys - while yes they are generally talented - they’re over rated. I think we have just as much talent and I feel very confident that we’re more athletic across the board. We are the faster team. And speed almost always beats size. I think we are going to put it to ND tomorrow, and show some of you doubters that we are actually the better team.

Folks Notre Dame is good. Louisville will have to play 4 really good quarters to win.

Defensively it will come down to can the Louisville secondary man up their receivers. Allowing their safeties to get really involved in the run game. ND offense is weird in they are a run heavy team, but their passing game is a stupid 10-20 precent play action. That honestly makes no sense. I can’t imagine they stick to that all season. If they do it in this game that would be great. Their TE is going to be a problem. I expected Notre Dame to get in the 20-27 range. This should be a quick game. Both teams aren’t fasted paced.

Offense-I don’t see Louisville getting to 27-28 points without big plays. They aren’t going to have long sustained drives against this defense. It is a legit defense. Plumber isn’t a good pressure QB like most and he is going to face pressure. I don’t trust him not to make mistakes. I think their ceiling on points is 17-20.

It is going to be a crazy environment. Louisville has to stay in the game keep the fans engaged. That can have a 3-7 point impact.

Final 24-17 Notre Dame. Expect a good one. The only blow out scenario is Notre Dame doing it. Too sound across the bound on defense to be blown out.

homer simpson GIF

Well, the disrespect on GameDay continues as they pretty much labeled Louisville as some Sun Belt team.

They said multiple times that Louisville is up in class with this game against ND. That is totally ridiculous. Louisville has been in the ACC almost a decade now, and has not only faced blueblood programs, but have beaten them, including the Irish.

This ND team is not some powerhouse team compared to Louisville. It just amazes me how this disrespect continues with Louisville football. Yes, ND is a legit favorite but they're playing a Louisville program that is in the same frigging class.

I didn't hear anything from GameDay saying Duke was up in class against ND.

I know it's silly for me to get so perturbed but I'm tired of it. Even if the Cards win tonight, they will still be considered a lower class program.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Well, the disrespect on GameDay continues as they pretty much labeled Louisville as some Sun Belt team.

They said multiple times that Louisville is up in class with this game against ND. That is totally ridiculous. Louisville has been in the ACC almost a decade now, and has not only faced blueblood programs, but have beaten them, including the Irish.

This ND team is not some powerhouse team compared to Louisville. It just amazes me how this disrespect continues with Louisville football. Yes, ND is a legit favorite but they're playing a Louisville program that is in the same frigging class.

I didn't hear anything from GameDay saying Duke was up in class against ND.

I know it's silly for me to get so perturbed but I'm tired of it. Even if the Cards win tonight, they will still be considered a lower class program.

ND lost because they were exhausted and looking forward to next week vs USC.

I watch GameDay every Saturday and I have never heard them say a ranked team from a powerhouse conference is going up in class against another ranked team from a power conference.

That's usually reserved for teams like Tulane, Boise State and everyone else in a non power 5 conference.

They all just seem to lose their objectivity when ND is involved.

I watch GameDay every Saturday and I have never heard them say a ranked team from a powerhouse conference is going up in class against another ranked team from a power conference.

That's usually reserved for teams like Tulane, Boise State and everyone else in a non power 5 conference.

They all just seem to lose their objectivity when ND is involved.

Reese Davis is always such a brand snob.

Reactions: Deeva
"but OSU has more blue chip players & a higher rated class average making up their roster than anytime in their history"

I find it amazing that folks, like the author of the above mentioned quote, can minimize ND, despite having played this same 4th ranked Ohio State about as even as anyone can be expected, yet coming up short on a last second score.

CardsDan said it best; when UL beats a high profile program (like Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl, Florida in the Sugar Bowl or Notre Dame in South Bend; its a result of the opponent not being motivated, or "ready to play".

Howard took inferior talent and beat Texas and Michigan State, but so many thought those opponents were just "looking past UL".

Jeff Brohm has a lot of "Howard's mentality & toughness"; we may or may not win tonight, but trying to minimize the opponent is something UL fans are accustomed to hearing.

Happy to say I was wrong about ND having and edge on LOS
Our guys outplayed them from the get go

Reactions: earsky
Happy to say I was wrong about ND having and edge on LOS
Our guys outplayed them from the get go
we’re both happy you were wrong lol. I’ve stated all week long that I felt they were were the better team, and ND was a tad over rated. I knew we were definitely a more athletic team. I felt we would win.., and home field definitely didn’t hurt our chances. I played the Ville ML big and felt good from the get go! We can still get even better… as I think we will. And the great think is Louisville and Brohm are the prefect marriage and I see great things to come. Can we win a SHIP! I don’t know… but I would put money on it right now…. That Louisville will be in the playoffs going for a SHIP within the next 4 years! MARK ME!

Still believe ND has a clear advantage in the trenches? This wasn't a fluke. Brohm didn't use trick plays or fake punts. Louisville was more physical and it was ND that looked like the under class team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT