ADVERTISEMENT

Can the Cards win @ Miami FL with the same blueprint they've been using?

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
I think a few days ago some of my words got misunderstood when I was referencing Plummer.

So further clarification, as is the Cards have been following an airtight rely on the D/running game to win most the season.

My question here is do we think the Cards can go down to Miami and get the W with the same gameplan?

Or, do we need to get a little more out of the passing game? If this, then where do you see the increase in productivity coming, or how? I'm not saying Plummer can't deliver. He destroyed BC and was a big part of that come from behind win over GT. But it feels like Thrash is not 100%. It was good to see AHB get the big play do we see more of him? I wondering if we are about to get that breakout performance out of Bell. I know he's been good, I'm wondering if he may have a big game ready for us.

Or, same gamplan?

Thoughts?

I keep thinking that CJB has an entire playbook filled with pass plays that hasn’t even been opened yet. This might be the week to break that out. We’ve got good receivers and a fairly accurate QB. It doesn’t have to be 70 yard bombs, just pick them to death on the shorter outside and crossing routes. No real need to save plays at this time of year.

Reactions: UofLouisville
I think Brohm will start the game doing the same thing, but will have a few pass wrinkles thrown in. However, if the Cards get behind early he may adjust and pass more.

He knows we haven't played as well on the road, mostly on offense. I think his adjustments to what Miami is doing will be implemented depending on how well Plummer is playing.

He's got to stay away from the turnovers on the road. So he may stay with the run heavy offense unless Miami gets a two TD lead. Brohm also is aware of Miami's tendency to make mistakes and may seek to put pressure on the Miami staff to risk those mistakes.

This is a football game where the better head coach should prevail.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
My prediction, first play will be a deep ball.
Yea, I kind of agree with that. Miami might be the most imposing defense we face all year. If the come with the blitz right away, Plummer needs a safety outlet, but if he has time to throw go deep to Thrash, Bell, or AHB.

I think a few days ago some of my words got misunderstood when I was referencing Plummer.

So further clarification, as is the Cards have been following an airtight rely on the D/running game to win most the season.

My question here is do we think the Cards can go down to Miami and get the W with the same gameplan?

Or, do we need to get a little more out of the passing game? If this, then where do you see the increase in productivity coming, or how? I'm not saying Plummer can't deliver. He destroyed BC and was a big part of that come from behind win over GT. But it feels like Thrash is not 100%. It was good to see AHB get the big play do we see more of him? I wondering if we are about to get that breakout performance out of Bell. I know he's been good, I'm wondering if he may have a big game ready for us.

Or, same gamplan?

Thoughts?
We will beat them if we focus.

Yea, I kind of agree with that. Miami might be the most imposing defense we face all year. If the come with the blitz right away, Plummer needs a safety outlet, but if he has time to throw go deep to Thrash, Bell, or AHB.
Don't think that about Miami's defense. I think NC State and ND were more imposing, but the Hurricanes are a good defensive team. For me, it's all about desire. How bad do they want it? They wanted it bad against FSU in their rivalry game and it showed. However, I'm not sure they will have that same desire against Louisville, especially if the offense continues to struggle.

However, if the Miami offense is successful against a top level defense, that would indeed motivate the defense to give it all against the Cards. On the other hand, if the offense struggles and continues to put the defense in tough spots, they would likely just go through the motions. Miami is already bowl eligible.

So it comes down to Louisville putting the clamps on Miami's offense. If we can do that, we should win.

I hope we win the toss and give the U a quick three and out. Take some time on the ensuing drive and go down the field and score a quick TD

Reactions: JTMPR
The offensive game plan is predicated on “what the defense gives you”, or at least in our case, “what CJB sees as the best avenue for a win”.

Jack has been victimized on this board and elsewhere, based on some horribly ill-advised throws that resulted in INTs. I think it should be obvious by now that Jeff has made an effort to minimize the number of situations where Jack and this offense are vulnerable to turnovers and mistakes. Every pass play in college football is subject to offensive holding penalties, and if you have a strong running game, the worst possible scenario is finding yourself in 2nd and 3rd and long, when you have been successful getting 4 and 5 yards every snap running the ball.

Michigan did it the 2nd half last week and showed just how dominating that can be for team wanting to win a NC.

Reactions: Mayoman
Anybody anywhere ever seen a college or even a pro QB not make a bad decision or throw in his career each and every year? I haven't. It is the nature of the game. No one is perfect all the time.

Now I do hope that our QB has that out of his system and plays relatively error free ball in the next 2 or 3 games for sure. Then the chips fall where they may.

Reactions: 2330859
I think JB will call the game based on how UM is defending us. If they are loading the box to stop the run you will see him attack them with the passing game. What we don't want is to constantly be in 3rd and long. If we are it is going to be a very long day.
I really believe it's critical to get out in front in this game. If the Canes have to play from behind TVD will press and make some mistakes that we hopefully can take advantage of.

One thing that got overlooked and quite frankly not really sure how much an effect it had, but in the home games before Virginia, we won the coin toss and elected to defer to the 2nd half. Our defense got 3 and outs and we were able to score early. Against VA, we lost the coin toss and had to take the ball first. We went 3 and out, I believe but it seemed to stagnate us and we couldn't get in a rhythm like we did in other games.

I expect it’s gonna be the Cards vs the Cains + the Refs. I’m setting the O/U for holding penalties against the Cards at 8.5. If we’re hitting big plays early, take the over.

I expect it’s gonna be the Cards vs the Cains + the Refs. I’m setting the O/U for holding penalties against the Cards at 8.5. If we’re hitting big plays early, take the over.

I see it the other way. It benefits the ACC more for us to win.

We will jump to 10-1 and 5th or 6th in the polls. They'll make sure FSU beats us in the ACCCG. Our rank and record will help FSU get to the playoffs.

In the above scenario, the ACC has two teams in J6 bowls and FSU in the playoffs.

In my mind, no other scenario makes more sense.

I see it the other way. It benefits the ACC more for us to win.

We will jump to 10-1 and 5th or 6th in the polls. They'll make sure FSU beats us in the ACCCG. Our rank and record will help FSU get to the playoffs.

In the above scenario, the ACC has two teams in J6 bowls and FSU in the playoffs.

In my mind, no other scenario makes more sense.
You make a good point. I just know the ACC loves UNC more than precious life itself..

Reactions: SpotHogCard
SpotHog has it right, and I expect for the second time this season (first being the UVA game), the ACC will be wanting UL to leave Miami victorious.

I wish I was wrong about all of this, but I also believe it is only a matter of time before we start to see and hear more stories about players being paid money from Gamblers to affect the spread.

I will caution however that Plummer seems to be executing a script. If the play is for him to go deep to Thrash, he throws deep to Thrash regardless of the coverage.
Yes,give these guys a chance to make the play.

Short answer, yes. Would like to see the TE's used some more but maybe thats one of the weapons Brohm has been keeping under wraps most of the season. What I would really like to see is our best game of the year on the road. After the game with the idiots to the east, the last 2 games we play are away from home and I would like to see some progress playing in hostile environments since everything after that will be away from home and it's been a little nail biting. Yes, I said last two games. We are gonna play in the ACC championship. Would love to have it to be a decisive butt whipping so I can relax and drink in celebration. Otherwise I have to root for Clemson. That would ruin the taste of the best of bourbons.

I don’t know, but I think (hope) CJB has a little something for the Canes. He had ten days to prepare and when that happens I like our chances. He’ll have to be on his game with play calling but sure wouldn’t best against him in this scenario.

Plus, I think was can take a punch in the mouth, we’ve done it before. But, if we throw the first punch I just feel like Miami might just call it a day.

I don’t know, but I think (hope) CJB has a little something for the Canes. He had ten days to prepare and when that happens I like our chances. He’ll have to be on his game with play calling but sure wouldn’t best against him in this scenario.

Plus, I think was can take a punch in the mouth, we’ve done it before. But, if we throw the first punch I just feel like Miami might just call it a day.
First two punches and they will have a hard time getting back up off the mat. Go Cards!

Reactions: OldhamCard335
Brohm did exactly what he has done all season; he managed the game, rather than the game managing us. Miami‘s Cristobal defended UL as best possible; but covering 3 receivers and the RB every snap, left our TE open on almost every down.

I know Jeff correctly gives a lot of credit to Howard for his success, but I believe Jeff learned a great deal from Bobby about offensive play calling, and particularly utilizing the entire width of the field.

Brohm did exactly what he has done all season; he managed the game, rather than the game managing us. Miami‘s Cristobal defended UL as best possible; but covering 3 receivers and the RB every snap, left our TE open on almost every down.

I know Jeff correctly gives a lot of credit to Howard for his success, but I believe Jeff learned a great deal from Bobby about offensive play calling, and particularly utilizing the entire width of the field.
Yep!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT