ADVERTISEMENT

GT vs CARDS series

I am afraid this may very well be the new normal; losing underclassmen to high draft selection every year starts to take its toll. UL is not alone right now in terms of high ranked teams playing poorly.

There are two (2) very glaring issues that I see so far this season. One is as simple as our pitching staff not being able to find the strike zone. Getting behind in the count is a huge advantage for the opponent’s hitters.

Conversely, the other issue is with our own hitters inability to consistently interpret the strike zone; lack of patience.

That 19 runs tied another on CDM on 5/19/09 against St Johns. Totally unacceptable getting beat like that. Let's hope we can come back today and play some Cardinals baseball.

Reactions: earsky
That 19 runs tied another on CDM on 5/19/09 against St Johns. Totally unacceptable getting beat like that. Let's hope we can come back today and play some Cardinals baseball.
The only one that matters now is the one today.

Reactions: PHCARD
Some of the posts on this thread cracking me up. We're in the third week of the season and people expect late season results. We're just no good? Really?
We've got guys returning from injuries, Covid protocol, people trying new positions.
There were definitely a few head scratchers yesterday,but to say this will not be a typical McDonnell team seems really premature.

Reactions: mattsefcovic
Some of the posts on this thread cracking me up. We're in the third week of the season and people expect late season results. We're just no good? Really?
We've got guys returning from injuries, Covid protocol, people trying new positions.
There were definitely a few head scratchers yesterday,but to say this will not be a typical McDonnell team seems really premature.
100% spot on. There is a ton of baseball to play this season. Look at complete landscape of college baseball this year, I've never seen so many upsets in my life. Give them some time before you throw in the towel. The bullpen needs to be corrected, but Roger Williams is one of the best in the business, he will figure this thing out.

Win today and yesterday's results won't be remembered, it will go down as a series win on the road against a top 10 team in the ACC.

You're in denial or don't know baseball. This team is in no way a typical McDonnell team and that's understandable. There's going to be a season like this every once in awhile.

100% spot on. There is a ton of baseball to play this season. Look at complete landscape of college baseball this year, I've never seen so many upsets in my life. Give them some time before you throw in the towel. The bullpen needs to be corrected, but Roger Williams is one of the best in the business, he will figure this thing out.

Win today and yesterday's results won't be remembered, it will go down as a series win on the road against a top 10 team in the ACC.
Come on. That's a cop out. UofL has lost to Western Illinois and Morehead state already and give up 19 runs in one game in their first conference series.

They will no doubt improve as the season goes but this is not a vintage Louisville baseball team. It's as obvious as it can get.

Come on. That's a cop out. UofL has lost to Western Illinois and Morehead state already and give up 19 runs in one game in their first conference series.

They will no doubt improve as the season goes but this is not a vintage Louisville baseball team. It's as obvious as it can get.
What is obvious right now is Dan doesn’t have that #1 or #2 ace throwing 94-95. What we have is finesse pitchers throwing 89-91 and trying to get batters out with 79 mph off speed stuff. Nothing wrong with that but you have to throw strikes.

100% agree. You don’t have guys just blow you away but you better have pitchers that can change speeds and locate pitches. Even guys that have the 94-95 get trouble when they fall behind. Guys that are in the 88-91 when they get behind in the count get destroyed.

They aren’t locating pitches which is a problem for this group. You tell the group yesterday wasn’t fooling anyone.

I get what you’re saying. It is early. But, they don’t pass the eye test, however early it may be. Not yet, they don’t. 19 LOB against Morehead, gave up 19 runs yesterday, poor pitching, bad mistakes. It’s not a focused team. Not yet.

There is nothing to like about the bull pen. Maybe Perkins and Cornett. They appear to have good stuff.

Last edited:
Binelas' head first effort at that play tells me what I need to know.

Binelas' head first effort at that play tells me what I need to know.
That he’s out of position, needs to be on third? He flinched fielding a throw out of the dirt. Got lucky as hell that he gloved it.

Yes, we're not very good and anybody who watches baseball regularly can see it. So you cracking up must be a bout of denial or a lack of baseball knowledge. As it looks now, this Cards team may not even make the NCAA tournament.

Yes, we're not very good and anybody who watches baseball regularly can see it. So you cracking up must be a bout of denial or a lack of baseball knowledge. As it looks now, this Cards team may not even make the NCAA tournament.

What’s the deal, going after earsky? He’s our veteran baseball guy. Some folks see the half empty vs the half full. This team might go on and not lose another game?

As someone else said”baseball is a funny game”. Haha!

I don’t know about missing the tournament but they definitely have issues.

Can’t play Dunn all over the place. Keep him in the infield or move him to outfield. They are two different animals. That drop in center is a pretty simple play for a good center fielder.

Alex needs to be out of the lineup. He is dead weight at the moment. This team needs Albanese, Poland and Metzinger back.

Reactions: rh62531
Alex needs to be out of the lineup. He is dead weight at the moment. This team needs Albanese, Poland and Metzinger back.
He needs to be DH, honestly. Get his mind on hitting, instead of switching positions. He had some good AB’s this series. I was encouraged.

What’s the deal, going after earsky? He’s our veteran baseball guy. Some folks see the half empty vs the half full. This team might go on and not lose another game?

Didn't mean to go after the baseball guy but I've been watching baseball for over 30 years, both college and MLB, and it's very clear there's no comparison with this group and the past several Cards teams.

I would call it wishful thinking to chuckle away the start of this season because we're used to much better results. Expectations are far different now than that top 5 pre season but like I've said several times, it's understandable.

Hopefully some players will emerge, especially on the mound and we can end the season strong. I wouldn't be surprised at all. I like Cooper Bowman and the freshman shortstop with the name that's hard to spell.

Just got to get better pitching. Something that's been a Louisville Cardinals staple.

As it looks 3 weeks into the season?Get a grip man.
Stevie Wonder can see we're not that good right now. Try getting behind the team.

Thanks, but I should've let it go myself. Some are only here because they're content to be unhappy ☺️

Earsky: expressing an opinion based on witnessing the performance of this baseball team is not a function of being unhappy. At the same time, your more optimistic opinion should not be dismissed as “pumping sunshine“ in a dark place.

No one on this thread has said anything about shutting down the season, or giving up on CDM or these kids. However, I too have been watching UL baseball closely for several decades, before Dan arrived. I can tell you this team is not executing anywhere close to where we have performed in recent memory.

I for one have not given up on this team, this season or the kids themselves. However, I have lowered my expectations based on a number of deficiencies that are evident in this early portion of the season.

Exactly. I'm pulling for the Cards big time and will continue to watch their games on line. I'm not the one who needs to get a grip and I can assure you I do not want to be unhappy.

A message board is for discussing pro and cons of our favorite teams and that's exactly what I've been doing. I disagree with those that think this team will be just as good or close to it after these first few weeks.

But the baseball guy I'm told tells me I'm somehow enjoying calling out my favorite teams struggles because I want to be unhappy. Actually, I just look to see others talk about what is needed to get better and what players may emerge. Stuff like that.

But in this current culture of towing the line or be cast out, apparently now includes sports forums.

Preseason '20 FB it looked good for the Cards. Preseason '20 MBB it looked good for the Cards. Preseason '21 it looked great for Cards Baseball.

Because things didn't work out as expected in FB and MBB (so far), it looks like our baseball fans were expecting the '21 baseball team with 45 on the roster to dig us out of the depths of Covid sports he!!. CDM & coaches are coaching 21 freshman and 16 so called sophomores.

The only good thing is we have plenty of baseball left. Let's hope things look entirely different this week going forward. Go Cards!

Just do not get the Binelas at 1st option.
Likely want to take the pressure off of fielding his position so he can focus on hitting. Also don’t know if it is true with Alex, but guys with high MLB potential are already told by clubs what their projected professional position will be. More likely its because of the first and hopefully not the 2nd.

I’d keep Rushing on first or Metz when he comes back. Bianco isn’t exactly making waves at the plate either.

Last edited:
You keep Davis out of lineup when he’s not catching?
No. Not saying that. Right now if Henry isn’t catching - yes - he needs to be the DH. I just think Alex is the odd man out at the moment. CDM seems reluctant to sit him though. Guess he is just putting all his chips in the Binelas basket hoping he starts to hit.

No. Not saying that. Right now if Henry isn’t catching - yes - he needs to be the DH. I just think Alex is the odd man out at the moment. CDM seems reluctant to sit him though. Guess he is just putting all his chips in the Binelas basket hoping he starts to hit.
He’s your preseason all American. You have to give him every chance possible to work through it. Baseball has so many more opportunities than football or even basketball.

To a point. Pre-season selections mean crap. He was selected based on solid FR season. Last year - no data. I want him to play well just like everyone else. But, other guys who are not hitting get sat down. Why not him?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT