ADVERTISEMENT

Do You Keep Watching?

Nope-because the players don’t care if they don’t care if they lose. According the Payne they worked on back door cuts for 2 days and the players didn’t listen. Their captain was victimized more than anyone else.

It is a dysfunctional group.

Probably going to save some money and discontinue my SlingTV subscription until baseball season gets going in April. That will have the added bonus of missing a lot of MBB games.

The only downside I see to that is I will miss most of the Lady Cards games, too…

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79
Usually I get sling so I can watch the games but this year I decided not to could see what was going to be a bad year haven't watched any games this year don't plan on watching any games this year normally I go to the stadium for a few games that's a definit no for me

The data is out on the Cards for all to see. It’s going to be hard to watch the rest of this season but I will keep watching. 20+ point losses will make their return and may start as early as Thursday at NC State.

1 or 2 unexpected wins at best for the rest of the season. Sad times.

I usually start watching but if it gets out of hand, I'm out of there. It's just so hard to stomach what has happened to the program. I try to limit depressing things these days.

As for the team and why they just don't seem to learn or care there was a play that puts the season in a nutshell.

Withers, who struggles to finish around the basket when defended, decided to be cute and flip in a uncontested layup that would have cut the lead to 5.

He missed it badly and Lipscomb came down and hit a 3 pointer. Boom, a 10 point lead instead of 5 in a matter of 15 seconds.

Game over!

The fact that Withers still does this knowing how bad the won loss record is, proves he doesn't really care. I will be shocked if he doesn't enter the portal as soon as it's available to do so.

This season is a waste. It's going to be a monumental disaster that will hopefully motivate future coaches and players to make it a blip on the Cardinals basketball history.

Quit watching 4 games ago. Even the two game win streak didn’t peaked my interest. Players don’t care. Head coach is lost. Just watch the interview with Withers. Indicated team mates were not being serious in practice. Not advocating for Pitino, but there would never be a statement like that come from a player he recruited and coached.

CKP I believe is a respectable person. His success came as being a assistant. All signs are pointing to him failing as a head coach.

Last edited:
Short answer ….. I think I will watch the NCST game, but depending on that performance, I may shut it down totally. We are a humiliation in progress.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
Nope-because the players don’t care if they don’t care if they lose. According the Payne they worked on back door cuts for 2 days and the players didn’t listen. Their captain was victimized more than anyone else.

It is a dysfunctional group.
Why are they dysfunctional?

Its time to stop using lack of talent as an excuse. We have more talent than several of the teams we have lost to. Its clear by your statement that the message or coaching that CKP is doing is not effective at producing positive results. I see him yelling yeah but only to have him roll his eyes at the players..

The disconnect is I think CKP expects that if he says something, the players will know or figure out what to do but its clear they haven't been taught or shown how to execute. I think that happens to former players who coach. They knew what to do because the game was easy for them. Unfortunately CKP doesn't understand that a good coach makes it easier for you to learn.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
I've missed over half the games this year. Some out of my control, but I could have watched a few.
I have more interest in how the message board community feels about it all, and what they see or think will happen, etc.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
The good news is that without high expectations I won’t suffer any soul crushing disappointments over the losses. I’m afraid that days of being excited and nervous about any basketball game seem too far in the future.

I didn't even know they were playing until I saw angry tweets from Rutherford.

Quit watching 4 games ago. Even the two game win streak didn’t peaked my interest. Players don’t care. Head coach is lost. Just watch the interview with Withers. Indicated team mates were not being serious in practice. Not advocating for Pitino, but there would never be a statement like that come from a player he recruited and coached.

CKP I believe is a respectable person. His success came as being a assistant. All signs are pointing to him failing as a head coach.

Yeah, this interview with Traynor and Withers is very telling. Their comments and overall demeanor.... KP mentioned in his pressers that they are holding 3-hour long practices. It's still not looking much better. This team is going to be tough to watch play the rest of the way.

Reactions: luv2hit63
I'll keep watching the beginning of games for now, but it's quickly approaching the No watch zone.

Why are they dysfunctional?

Its time to stop using lack of talent as an excuse. We have more talent than several of the teams we have lost to. Its clear by your statement that the message or coaching that CKP is doing is not effective at producing positive results. I see him yelling yeah but only to have him roll his eyes at the players..

The disconnect is I think CKP expects that if he says something, the players will know or figure out what to do but its clear they haven't been taught or shown how to execute. I think that happens to former players who coach. They knew what to do because the game was easy for them. Unfortunately CKP doesn't understand that a good coach makes it easier for you to learn.
Exactly who is talented? Who actually has done anything at this level? Who would start at another ACC school?

Rankings out of high school means very little at this point. Their performance and overall attitude is all that matters at this point.

We're really only a couple players and a decent coach away from being at least a tournament bubble team.

A experienced point guard that would let Ellis play the shooting guard and a power/wing forward that can finish and rebound.

Then guys like James, Lands and Withers would come off the bench and a decent coach would have roles for all three.

I think Hatfield is a plus and should start beside Curry and I like the energy and confidence of Traynor. The team just has a couple big holes that is not being filled by the current players.

So it's back to not signing any grad transfers. Watching all the different games this season, I see guys on new teams everywhere. UK fans definitely want Hopkins back as he's tearing it up at Providence.

I think KP needed a seasoned and deep group of players for his maiden voyage into head coaching, but instead he got a mixed group with no foundation of winning and three unfilled scholarships.

Just three grad transfers and this disaster would not be in motion. I'm sure we fans would still be unhappy at 8 and 4 or 7 and 5, but we wouldn't be a national embarrassment.

I still can't blame KP for not convincing some grad transfers to come here. I wouldn't have came here if I was a graduate. I do however blame KP for not having a plan B ready just so to avoid a season just like this.

Reactions: achilles992000
I am out. Have been a huge fan since 1971 and had season tickets at Freedom hall for years and 1 year at the Yum!
I have enough things to be distressed about with aging parents and family members. I no longer watch and check ESPN On my phone a time or two when the games are going on and am rarely surprised at what I see.
These are very sad days but I am hopeful that the powers that be and the coaching staff will see that another similar season cannot take place.
“ Change the people or you change the people “

Well thanks to jspa I watched tonight because of his guess the score giveaway. Most fun I had watching a game this year. I had 78-66. It was fun! But that's about it

I've watched 1 of the last 4 games and that's unheard of for me. Unfortunately for me it was the Libscomb game.

The NC State game snuck up on me. Since we had just played Lipscomb on Tuesday, I assumed the next game with NC State was either Saturday or next week.

That’s the first one I’ve missed so far this year, and it sounds like I missed a good first half anyway,…

I've missed over half the games this year. Some out of my control, but I could have watched a few.
I have more interest in how the message board community feels about it all, and what they see or think will happen, etc.
Good question in the OP, and this pretty well describes where I'm at. I watch, but I sure as hell don't go out of my way to make sure I can. When I do, it's almost out of emotionless, passing curiosity.

The reactions surrounding the sport itself are of more interest to me. Each game reminds us of the ridiculous situation we're in, and it increases the focus on people running the program and responsible for where it is.

I've never been someone whose personal highs and lows correlated with sports. Watching now doesn't depress me nor is it something I'd rather block out. So far anyway, these are still somewhat unique times that I'd rather experience and hopefully look back on when times are better...

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
I watched the first three games, the WKU game, and that is it. I can't watch a team that has a 1-4 Assist to turnover ratio, can't guard ball screens, and has an offense that consists of dribbling and passing around the perimeter and then a contested shot at the end of the shot clock. I won't watch another game probably.

I'm tired of "this team has talent." Talent without basketball IQ and work ethic is not talent at all. The nucleus of this team that came back went 13-19 last season. They weren't that good last year, they aren't any good this year and they don't have enough pieces to be good consistently. Its unfortunate.

The WKU game is how this team is capable of playing only when all the stars align apparently. That they can't do that on a more regular basis is the frustrating part, but when you have low Basketball IQ and low work ethic, it won't be something that happens on a regular basis.

Payne keeps talking about building a culture. If this is the culture we can expect, I want nothing to do with it. And as a lifelong cardinals fan, I was behind his hire, hoping it would bring a spark back and connect with some glory days of UofL basketball. That obviously hasn't happened.

I watched the first three games, the WKU game, and that is it. I can't watch a team that has a 1-4 Assist to turnover ratio, can't guard ball screens, and has an offense that consists of dribbling and passing around the perimeter and then a contested shot at the end of the shot clock. I won't watch another game probably.

I'm tired of "this team has talent." Talent without basketball IQ and work ethic is not talent at all. The nucleus of this team that came back went 13-19 last season. They weren't that good last year, they aren't any good this year and they don't have enough pieces to be good consistently. Its unfortunate.

The WKU game is how this team is capable of playing only when all the stars align apparently. That they can't do that on a more regular basis is the frustrating part, but when you have low Basketball IQ and low work ethic, it won't be something that happens on a regular basis.

Payne keeps talking about building a culture. If this is the culture we can expect, I want nothing to do with it. And as a lifelong cardinals fan, I was behind his hire, hoping it would bring a spark back and connect with some glory days of UofL basketball. That obviously hasn't happened.
This team doesn't have talent. They have potential and people constantly confuse the two.

Don't get me wrong - this roster isn't a 2-12 roster but even the best coach in the country couldn't do much with this roster. In all reality if KP were a good coach this team would probably be at least 7-7 right now with no losses by more than 15 points.

Reactions: OldhamCard335

The culture he is talking about is not Louisville Cardinal culture, it is NBA/UK culture and the sooner we realize that the sooner we realize it was a terrible mistake to bring this guy on. Nip it in the bud before we get headed down a path it will be hard to get back from. The NCAA cloud has set us back, CKP will set us back even further IMHO.

Reactions: BPGhost
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT