ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching News Supposedly Coming

Interesting. You think if Schertz doesn't make the NCAAT that will affect his chances with the UofL job?
I think it should. Tough to sell a guy who has never coached in the NCAA tourney. And for the record, I’m not giving up on Dusty May. I do t know what he’s looking for but obviously I think we are a better program.

One other guy I haven’t seen mentioned much is Pat Kelsey. He probably has the best resume of any of the mid-major guys. However he started as an assistant under Dino Gaudio and eventually became associate head coach at Xavier under Chris Mack. Is that a hill too steep to overcome?

One other guy I haven’t seen mentioned much is Pat Kelsey. He probably has the best resume of any of the mid-major guys. However he started as an assistant under Dino Gaudio and eventually became associate head coach at Xavier under Chris Mack. Is that a hill too steep to overcome?
It maybe shouldn’t be but given the extortion thingy - imma say yes.

Reactions: shadow force
Oh I didn't know that about Kelsey. I agree that probably rules him out too.

Reactions: BPGhost
Pat Kelsey would probably be ok, but I'm a little concerned about him taking the UMass job several years ago and then backing out just before the introductory press conference. I'd like to know more about what made him change his mind, concerned that he might not be up to the increased scrutiny here. Dusty May still looks good to me.

If it's not a surprise really big big name (Billy D - I'm looking at you), I don't think there will be all that much initial fan excitement unless it's someone like Drew or Musselman or May. And I think we have to get the fans excited again right away.

I think if we hire someone before the NCAA tourney starts then Josh didn't try hard enough, unless a tourney bound coach doesn't mind announcing to his team he's leaving for another school. Other than that, we won't get anything approaching the best we can get, or should get. We are the University of Louisville, not the university of kenny plain.

Last edited:
Pat Kelsey would probably be ok, but I'm a little concerned about him taking the UMass job several years ago and then backing out just before the introductory press conference. I'd like to know more about what made him change his mind, concerned that he might not be up to the increased scrutiny here. Dusty May still looks good to me.

Yeah, Kelsey is a complicated dude. There are a few big red flags - he pulled out of UMASS job two days after accepting it, he stepped away from Xavier associate head coach position after his mentor Skip Prosser died and he has these strong ties to Gaudio and Mack, and statistically to be a great tourney team you have to have strong KenPom defensive effficiency - his teams do not. Currently Charleston is ranked 100 in defensive efficiency. That is not a winning formula for a high major. The fact that he has twice left bigger programs is very concerning - can he handle the stress/attention of a high major?

Indiana State should be in the tournament. I don’t fault him for not getting in because of metrics.

I do agree it could end up with someone like him.

I believe that Josh Heird has told Kenny Payne of his decision on the coach's future at Louisville. But I can't confirm it from either side, so I haven't "reported" it. The two talked after Saturday's game. I don't know what was said. Whether they talked Sunday, I don't know. We all know where this is headed. Sometime Wednesday, I expect we'll get official word. Until then, it isn't official. But that doesn't really matter. This is a case where we all know the outcome, we just don't know every detail just yet.

Something in between. If it goes in the direction I sense,there are some legimately good basketball coaches out there just under the radar. If we can't get Drew or May,might as well get the youngest,most dynamic up and comer you can.
Btw, Indiana St will be in the Big Dance I believe as an at large.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
From Crawford just now:

Guess I should answer this question. This not from a first-hand source, but several I would consider having access to pretty close info. (I'm always dubious, because agents are known for putting out stuff to get their guys' raises). It gets to be so much noise you don't trust anything.

Anyway, having said that, several (again, not first-hand knowledge) have indicated that Louisville is prepared to make Scott Drew among the handful of highest-paid coaches in the college game if he's interested. Have heard several numbers, don't know the accuracy. Hearing he also would require a minimum NIL commitment if he decided to entertain an offer, but that's just about anyone. I have no idea if he's indicated any interest at all. I still view him as a long shot.

Have heard there is high interest in Dusty May.At least three decent sources think Cronin is a real possibility. Other name I've heard repeatedly is Jamie Dixon..Also have heard Indiana State's Josh Schertz. Not sure I buy that. (Ducking. I didn't SAY those, I HEARD them.)

Other names I've heard from people I trust -- but not enough to report their tips as anything significant until I hear the names a LOT more ... Tang, Musselman, McDermott, Holtmann.First coach I would call, open the bank for, whatever -- Pearl. Have not heard his name at all. Deener knows more about Donovan than I've heard. But, obviously, a lot of us would help him move if he wanted to come.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Definitely no to Dixon and Holtmann. Sounds like a pray and spray approach just throwing out names with that and hoping something sticks.

Crawford:

Things to remember about coaching searches/hires. While most people pour over resumes, records, and reputations, good ADs spend a lot of time talking to these guys, getting to know them as people and personalities, hearing their plans and getting a feel for their vision and passion for the job.They may have a different view of a lot of these guys than fans (or even media) will have.

(I do wonder, though, what the discussion with Kenny Payne was like when it came to plans. He never shared those in a concrete way with the public. Otherwise, he’s a personable guy in a small setting, as far as I could tell.)

Crawford:

Things to remember about coaching searches/hires. While most people pour over resumes, records, and reputations, good ADs spend a lot of time talking to these guys, getting to know them as people and personalities, hearing their plans and getting a feel for their vision and passion for the job.They may have a different view of a lot of these guys than fans (or even media) will have.

(I do wonder, though, what the discussion with Kenny Payne was like when it came to plans. He never shared those in a concrete way with the public. Otherwise, he’s a personable guy in a small setting, as far as I could tell.)
Payne probably said his plan was to fight and fight some more and when the chips were down fight harder!🤡

I don’t see the interest in Tang, Musselman or Cronin all 3 had success and now their teams are struggling. That would send up a red flag for me.

Reactions: vegasville1
I would assume “us” applies to the media. He knows how to deal with the media. The media would love covering him.

I think the list tells us they are willing to shoot for the moon with Drew but then it becomes a value pick.

No way they pay Cronin 20M buyout so is the getting out of the buyout legit? He was number 2 on other lists I have heard.

Donavan is really interesting. He may not get another NBA job if he gets fired? I think he would prefer NBA but may not be an option.

After that it is value picks. All have manageable buyouts. None will excite everyone.

Reactions: UofLouisville
The state of basketball coaching is rather sorry. For an example, take a look across the ACC. In the past we had larger than life brilliant coaches like Case, McGuire, McKinney, Bubas, Smith, Driesell. What Holland did at UVA was universally considered impossible before Holland was at UVA. Without the Holland-UVA miracle of 1976, Ralph Sampson never would have gone to UVA.

The ACC needs Louisville to land a guy like Scott Drew.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT