ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching News Supposedly Coming

Deener said Drew is the clear number 1 and they are confident number 2 coach will accept. Then he throws out Donovan. I really wonder why they are leaking Drew and Donovan if they really were options. I think it is a smoke screen. The number 2 guy is the next coach whoever that is.

There is no good reason to release Drew’s name if he is the guy. If you know Drew and Donovan aren’t the guys then you could make the argument it makes sense, showing the fans you shot for the moon. That is fine but now the number 2 better be damn good. The has Brohm/Satterfield 1st go around feel to it.

No one is talking about the 2nd option. To me that is most telling. Throw out Drew and Donovan but won’t release 2nd option. Deener said no clue who is 2nd option. The 2nd option is the guy IMO.

Deener said Drew is the clear number 1 and they are confident number 2 coach will accept. Then he throws out Donovan. I really wonder why they are leaking Drew and Donovan if they really were options. I think it is a smoke screen. The number 2 guy is the next coach whoever that is.

There is no good reason to release Drew’s name if he is the guy. If you know Drew and Donovan aren’t the guys then you could make the argument it makes sense, showing the fans you shot for the moon. That is fine but now the number 2 better be damn good. The has Brohm/Satterfield 1st go around feel to it.

No one is talking about the 2nd option. To me that is most telling. Throw out Drew and Donovan but won’t release 2nd option. Deener said no clue who is 2nd option. The 2nd option is the guy IMO.
Wouldn't be surprised at all if you're right. Billy D isn't coming and I also still doubt Drew. Unless Heird proves us wrong then I'll admit it. But it does sound like they want us to know they took their shot at the best regardless.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
It's been Defcon 1 around here for months on the basketball coaching situation. Why leak this now when we're closing in on the end of the season..

Coach Drew is preparing Baylor for the post season. I find it difficult to believe he would accept another job until Baylor's season is over. Maybe there's a silent agreement but that doesn't jive with UofL announcing a new hire soon.

I think Coach Drew may be looking to leave Waco as he's already accomplished winning a title, and it's going to be very hard to do it again at Baylor. Taking a rebuilding job at such an iconic school like Louisville may be very attractive to a coach like Drew.

I have no idea though. He may want to finish his career at Baylor? However, to be mentioned by the press so soon even while he has another good team at Baylor, has me wondering if the main reason he would leave Baylor is the opportunity to revive a elite program like UofL. I'm sure Baylor can and would offer more money?

Is it just me or should we wait for Baylor's season to be over first. That might be a non starter for Drew,approaching him whilst the Bears are trying to win another title 🤔

Like cycle mentioned it's probably the mystery #2 guy that they aren't naming yet. That's where the real scoop is at.

At first when I read “Louisville needs an answer soon” I thought, no way Drew is going to announce publicly that he’s leaving Baylor to take another job right before the NCAA Tournament but it makes sense after thinking about it.

The worst look for a coach an especially one who prides himself on being honorable is doing a silent agreement and then having it leak out while he’s coaching his current team to win a Title.

I’m thinking if we don’t here an announcement within a few days of our season ending, it probably won’t be Drew.

Reactions: earsky
It's been Defcon 1 around here for months on the basketball coaching situation. Why leak this now when we're closing in on the end of the season..

The main reason for this is to send a clear signal to the fan base that the suffering is nearly over, leaving no doubt that Payne will be fired after the ACCT.

“Attention fan base … you can safely show up for the last game of the season without worrying that doing so will change this direction.”

As far as negatively impacting Drew or any other coach currently coaching … these reports are coming from media, not UofL, and are easily deflected at this point. This even gives Drew an easy path to a pay raise at Baylor, if that’s ultimately what he’s after.

Dick Vitale said Rick shouldn't come to Louisville. A lot of so called experts say a lot of dumb things.
I don’t think it’s dumb by Goodman, I think it’s him sticking to his narrative and as Knucklehank mentioned, he is buddies with Mack. That’s why he can’t explain why Scott Drew is a bad fit here.

At first when I read “Louisville needs an answer soon” I thought, no way Drew is going to announce publicly that he’s leaving Baylor to take another job right before the NCAA Tournament but it makes sense after thinking about it.

The worst look for a coach an especially one who prides himself on being honorable is doing a silent agreement and then having it leak out while he’s coaching his current team to win a Title.

I’m thinking if we don’t here an announcement within a few days of our season ending, it probably won’t be Drew.

You may not remember but if this Drew stuff is legit, the Mack hire was handled the same way. It was all done but telling people before the NCAAT began. As soon as Xavier lost (first round as a 1 seed, IIRC - I watched that game and he/the team looked unfocused) things went into high gear and days later it was announced Mack to Louisville.

Ok seriously now, Why couldn’t any coaching hire be announced after the regular season ends? What tournament team is not flush with players looking to go pro or seek a better nil deal next season?

Seems nowadays it’s not a hard sell to tell players that haven’t been at a university for 4 years or are planning to leave after this season that you, as the coach are moving on too. So let’s win the damn thing this year and improve all our future paychecks.

You may not remember but if this Drew stuff is legit, the Mack hire was handled the same way. It was all done but telling people before the NCAAT began. As soon as Xavier lost (first round as a 1 seed, IIRC - I watched that game and he/the team looked unfocused) things went into high gear and days later it was announced Mack to Louisville.
I did not remember that. I’m sure these things are usually handled behind the scenes, especially this time of year.

Ok seriously now, Why couldn’t any coaching hire be announced after the regular season ends? What tournament team is not flush with players looking to go pro or seek a better nil deal next season?

Seems nowadays it’s not a hard sell to tell players that haven’t been at a university for 4 years or are planning to leave after this season that you, as the coach are moving on too. So let’s win the damn thing this year and improve all our future paychecks.
For argument sake let’s say Heird and co really want Drew. Do you think this fanbase will be willing to wait up to 3 weeks after Payne gets whacked, not hearing a peep from the administration? And if they had an agreement behind the scenes, how much worse would it be when it leaks out mid tournament?

Or are you thinking that we’re going to settle for someone like Musselman whose team is not going anywhere this year?

Lots of pressure on Josh

My point is, we hired a football coach that just played for a big 10 title. Some players and coaches came with him. That worked out well. I don’t remember the timing of the announcement as it relates to NCAA titles or the football postseason.

Why in the world couldn’t we fire and hire a basketball coach after the end of regular season? Hell, some ethical coaches may even find it helps their players considering their pro/ transfer portal options.

Edited to show Scott Drew looks awesome to me. Baylor new stadium is about 7000 more or less.

My point is, we hired a football coach that just played for a big 10 title. Some players and coaches came with him. That worked out well. I don’t remember the timing of the announcement as it relates to NCAA titles or the football postseason.

Why in the world couldn’t we fire and hire a basketball coach after the end of regular season? Hell, some ethical coaches may even find it helps their players considering their pro/ transfer portal options.
Not sure what's going on. After what seems an airtight lid over everything for the longest time, the floodgates suddenly opened today. Why? Was it on purpose? Is Heird behind at least part of it and if so why?

Final thought, how many open scholarships do we have now and will gain when Coach Kenny Is gone? Guessing it’s enough for Drew to bring anyone he wants or that want to follow him to Louisville. Even the upcoming class.

Edited to show Scott Drew looks awesome to me. Baylor new stadium is about 7000 more or less.
Disregard my last post lol. We are on the same page. I misread the beginning of your post. I thought you were arguing against hiring a new coach (Drew hopefully) right after the regular season ends. That was my thought exactly.

Reactions: chevelle99
I’ll forgive you if you admit the “White Shadow” reference was funny. Hell, we are all just speculating here.

Ken Howard was also in a short lived show called the man hunter or something close. He was a bounty hunter in the prohibition era.

The possible coaches, so far, from various sources today:

Scott Drew
Billy Donovan
Mick Cronin
Eric Musselman
Jerome Tang
Dusty May
Lamont Paris
Niko Medved
Pat Kelsey
Josh Schertz

I’ll throw out a name I like, Kevin Kruger at UNLV. He’s 40 yrs old and son of Lon Kruger. Have watched several games. Love their style. They were 9-9, now 19-10. Freshman guard is amazing.
GO CARDS!!!

I’ll forgive you if you admit the “White Shadow” reference was funny. Hell, we are all just speculating here.

Ken Howard was also in a short lived show called the man hunter or something close. He was a bounty hunter in the prohibition era.
Definitely. Loved the White Shadow w/ Ken Howard. I played Freshman basketball here in Louisville right when that show came out and had two black friends that were on the team that I rode to and from practice with. We talked about it all the time. The show was ahead of its time IMO.

I must have missed the bounty hunter one lol.

Final thought, how many open scholarships do we have now and will gain when Coach Kenny Is gone? Guessing it’s enough for Drew to bring anyone he wants or that want to follow him to Louisville. Even the upcoming class.

Flowers, Davis and Evans are gone, so that’s 3 right there. Got to think Huntley Hatfield at the very least is gone. Likely a few others, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT