ADVERTISEMENT

Cards vs ND series

PHCARD

Apr 6, 2007
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The sixth-ranked University of Louisville baseball team goes back on the road for the weekend for three games at Notre Dame. First pitch is on Friday is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET, with Saturday set for 2 p.m. ET and Sunday at 1 p.m. ET. All three games can be seen on ACC Network Extra. Radio coverage of Friday's game will be available on 1450 WXVW, while the final two games can be heard on 93.9 The Ville.

ABOUT THE CARDINALS
The Cardinals matched a season high with 13 runs in Tuesday's win over Western Kentucky, while tallying a season-best 17 hits. Louisville pounded out seven extra-base hits, including four triples, in the winning effort.

Louisville is 8-1 in its last nine games getting good production from both the offense and pitching staff. The Cardinals are hitting .306 as a team during that stretch, averaging 7.9 runs and 10.4 hits per game with 35 total extra-base hits. Meanwhile, UofL pitchers have a 2.59 ERA and have limited opponents to a .185 batting average.

SERIES HISTORY
Louisville and Notre Dame have 40 previous meetings with the Cardinals holding a 32-8 all-time advantage. The Cardinals have won 19 consecutive games against the Irish, their longest-active streak against a single opponent. UofL is 14-1 all-time at Notre Dame.

TEAM NOTES
  • Louisville owns 118 conference wins since joining the ACC in 2015, the most conference wins during that time of any Power Five school.
  • UofL has won 41 of its 54 ACC series since joining the league and is 44-9 in its series finales during that span, including a 14-6 record in rubber games.
  • Louisville tallied four triples in its win over Western Kentucky, tied for the most in program history also done on April 20, 2007 at Seton Hall. Alex Binelas had two of the four triples becoming the first Louisville player with two in the same game since Ty Young did it against Notre Dame on March 28, 2013. Binelas and Lucas Dunn notched consecutive triples in the seventh inning, the first time the Cardinals have tallied back-to-back triples since records are available in 2000.
  • Louisville's offense ranks among the best in the ACC this season. The Cardinals currently lead the ACC in runs, stolen bases, total bases, hits and triples, while ranking second in batting average, on-base percentage, and walks, and third in home runs, hit by pitch and slugging percentage.

PLAYER NOTES
  • Henry Davishas been the most consistent hitter for the Cardinals through 20 games, picking up at least one hit in every game so far. Davis extended his hitting streak to 22 games with an eighth-inning single against Western Kentucky. The sophomore ranks second in the ACC in hits and on-base percentage, third in RBIs, stolen bases and total bases, and fourth in batting average. Davis has eight stolen bases after having just one through his first two seasons at Louisville.
    • Longest Hitting Streaks in Louisville History
      • 25 - Tommy Barnes (3/5-4/22/1992)
      • 22 - Henry Davis (3/8/2020-3/22/2021)
      • 21 - Dave Williams Jr. (4/1-5/4/2003)
      • 20 - Nick Haley (3/7-4/9/2004)
      • 20 - Nick Solak (3/27-4/28/2015)
      • 19 - Boomer Whiting (3/7-4/6/2007)
  • Cooper Bowman slid into the leadoff spot for the three-game series at Georgia Tech and made an immediate impact. In 12 games in the leadoff spot, Bowman is 17-for-49 (.347) with five home runs, nine RBIs and 15 runs scored. Bowman hit a leadoff homer on March 7 at Georgia Tech was the first for the Cardinals since Corey Ray at Miami on March 18, 2016. One game later, he became the first Cardinal since Alex Binelas in 2019 to homer twice in a single game.
  • Luke Brown enters the weekend with a six-game hitting streak after two more hits in the win over Western Kentucky. During the hitting streak, the junior is hitting .360 (9-for-25) with two doubles, two triples and eight runs scored. Brown currently leads the Cardinals with nine multi-hit games this season and is first in the ACC with three triples.
  • Christian Knapczyk has started the last 12 games at shortstop for the Cardinals and has been a sparkplug at the bottom of the UofL lineup. The freshman is 16-for-40 (.400) in his 12 starts, tallying five doubles, a triple, 10 RBIs and scoring 12 times. Knapczyk has a hit in 12 of the 14 games he's played in this season.
  • Levi Usher set a Louisville school record (since 2000) with five stolen bases in the win over Murray State. Usher is the national leader in stolen bases with 18, eight more than anyone else in the ACC. Since joining the Cardinals, Usher is 29-of-31 (18-for-19 this year) on the basepaths in 36 career games.
  • Michael Kirian has smoothly made the transition from closer to weekend starter this season. The southpaw improved to 4-0 on the season after taking a no-hitter into the eighth inning on Friday at NC State and tallying a career-high 13 strikeouts. Since the start of the 2019 season, Kirian has a 1.17 ERA in 61.2 innings with 80 strikeouts and just 16 walks.
  • Kaleb Corbett has made a massive impact in his first season with the Cardinals. The right-hander has made nine relief appearances, tossing 14.2 scoreless innings with just six hits allowed and 21 strikeouts. Corbett earned the win against Eastern Kentucky and then went the final 3.1 innings in the finale versus Western Illinois for his first career save.

So UofL & ND are the ACC Atlantic top 2 teams and the ACCN is not showing even one of our games this weekend. What a load of crap!

Reactions: gocds
So UofL & ND are the ACC Atlantic top 2 teams and the ACCN is not showing even one of our games this weekend. What a load of crap!
Beat me to it. WTH? Great that I have the ACCN...

ND strikes first with a run in the first inning. Could’ve been worse, the Irish had a runner on 3rd with one out but was stranded to end the inning.

Reactions: PHCARD
ND not looking very sharp so far. I’m glad they have the itis today.

Kirian has lost the strike zone. And only now is there someone warming up. Why wait so long??

Notre Dame started their best relief pitcher tonight, Joe Sheridan, who had not allowed a run this year, so he is done for the weekend, which is good news. Their pitching staff is not very consistent so these next two games could be high scoring. No word on who’s starting tomorrow, but I assume it will be Albanese.

Reactions: gocds and PHCARD
I would also assume Albanese. Sunday is the big question mark. I have not really been impressed with Seed - at least not as more than a mid-week starter. Really wish Prosecky had found consistency to be that Sunday guy. Luke still may find his way back to starting on Sunday as well.

After the bats went silent for 3 innings,that 2 run ninth may have shown a sign of good things to come down the road with this team.
Dug down and found a little more.

Reactions: gocds
I would also assume Albanese. Sunday is the big question mark. I have not really been impressed with Seed - at least not as more than a mid-week starter. Really wish Prosecky had found consistency to be that Sunday guy. Luke still may find his way back to starting on Sunday as well.
Yeah I think we will see Smith back as the Sunday starter with maybe a shorter lease. So far no one else has proved to be a better option..

Reactions: Bardman
I was thinking about those new faces out there against WKU the other night. The wheels have to be in motion to maybe try someone else as a starter who's been in the pen till now.
What's complicated it all is Poland's injury,Perkins' inability to throw strikes and the lingering question about Kerry Wright.

The only thing I can fathom about Perkins (other than struggling with the strike zone) is he is probably on a short leash due to his prior injury (maybe). If they can get him going that would really bolster the staff.

The only thing I can fathom about Perkins (other than struggling with the strike zone) is he is probably on a short leash due to his prior injury (maybe). If they can get him going that would really bolster the staff.
It's mostly his breaking ball. I would think going in to the season he would have been a candidate to start either on the weekend or midweek. He still might be if he can get that breaking ball over.

Reactions: Bardman
Seed looking much better than his last outing. This is looking like 1-0, 2-1 game?

I’ll never understand bunting with two outs, especially when we’ve got a little momentum after Dunn plated a run in a hard fought game. Coach is a lot smarter than me, I fully admit. I guess the element of surprise, and, perhaps forcing a bad throw is the thought process.

I’ll never understand bunting with two outs, especially when we’ve got a little momentum after Dunn plated a run in a hard fought game. Coach is a lot smarter than me, I fully admit. I guess the element of surprise, and, perhaps forcing a bad throw is the thought process.
Doesn’t always need to be a coaching decision. Mac emphasizes bunting and like stealing bases some players have the green light. I saw us do it a couple of series ago and it led to a multi run inning. Depends on pitcher, LHP and defensive positioning, 3rd and 1st playing deep.

Reactions: CardX
Great outing for Seed today. Maybe this will be a confidence builder for him. A couple of more runs and solid relief pitching would be nice.

Well...one of the things we needed immediately backfires. 4 straight balls and from Perkins who we were just talking about re: his control.

Well, put this one on the manager. Going with Perkins was the wrong move. But, he has to know who can rely on in these situations, so don't expect to see Perkins in a close game until he can remember how to throw strikes.

Reactions: PHCARD
Not necessarily on Dan. He went with Perkins because he needed a strikeout. A walk wouldn’t have hurt them but Perkins wasn’t paying attention and let the base runner steal 3rd.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT