ADVERTISEMENT

Cards 69 - UCONN 64

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
The scenario was all set up. Brave UCONN, Battling back after losing Paige Bueckers. An unheralded freshman leading the way and Rebecca Lobo being on the call to gush emotional and sell the brand, legacy and just how wonderful UCONN and Geno really are. Every replay was UConn highlighted and we heard 3,000 times how decimated UConn's player roster was.

SOMEONE FORGOT TO GIVE #3 LOUISVILLE A COPY OF THE SCRIPT.

Despite Emily Engstler taking a seat shortly after the National Anthem due to one erroneous foul and one 50/50 call. Despite a fourth quarter that resembled a free throw dance marathon, despite Louisville forgetting that rebounding is important, too, for most of the game....the Cards finally got it all together in the fourth quarter and got the win. Excuse us while we outplay you.

Ye who scores the most points wins. Toss out the third quarter score ,and sudden abruptness ESPN cut away from the feed after their darling Huskies lost. Yeah, I know...other games awaited.

The Cards were the uninvited party guest that eventually took control of the nacho dip, drank all the punch and left with the best looking guy at the party. A big win against a program that had their share of them against UofL. Payback is a bear, isn't it?

You play with what you got. Injures happen. It has to be "next player up'" mentality.

UConn is in uncharted water. They aren't a top 10 squad anymore this season, How will GENO react? Yes, BIG EAST foes await --- like kids at Christmas -- knowing this could be that year where they might topple the mighty Huskies. McDonald's All-Americans are great to have, but if they're not on the court for you -- they're just scholarship cheerleaders. Ask Georgia Tech, DePaul, South Carolina --or the young women in the Kueber Center. Nothing to see here, move along.

This Louisville team has fight. They do not fold. Hailey Van Lith does not like to lose. Ahlana Smith is the grateful Yorkie finally turned loose and is bounding around the back yard with un-abandoned glee. Kianna Smith knows it the final go-round for her and wants to create some memories. Kasa Robinson leaves it all out on the court. Always drawing the toughest offensive threat Getting the job done. it's never surrender and take no prisoners the way she sees it. Konno, Verhulst, Cochran, Dixon, Russell... all ready to jump into the fray and be what is needed. Check egos at the door with this team. They like each other. They want to play well for each other.

And then there's "E". Freed from the Siberian tyrannical wasteland that was Syracuse ---she was welcomed with open arms, which had to be a pleasant shock to her. The New York City tough, hard nosed gal is now having fun plying basketball. Imagine that. Hearing Jeff Walz tell her that, at Louisville, we beat and expect to beat "team A, opponent B and foe C. Adopt the philosophy, it's different than where you were." And she believes, oh yes, she gets it and buys in to it.

Rest well, young women of the red and black (and occasionally yellow I guess). Enjoy the Xmas break. The road will still be out there when you come back. There will be many looking to upset the apple cart. PLAY HARD AND LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING The path to greatness is still open.

(If Omicron doesn't put up a Road Closed sign).

--sonja--

Last edited:
The scenario was all set up. Brave UCONN, Battling back after losing Paige Bueckers. An unheralded freshman leading the way and Rebecca Lobo being on the call to gush emotional and sell the brand, legacy and just how wonderful UCONN and Geno really are. Every replay was UConn highlighted and we heard 3,000 times how decimated UConn's player roster was.

SOMEONE FORGOT TO GIVE #3 LOUISVILLE A COPY OF THE SCRIPT.

Despite Emily Engstler taking a seat shortly after the National Anthem due to one erroneous foul and one 50/50 call. Despite a fourth quarter that resembled a free throw dance marathon, despite Louisville forgetting that rebounding is important, too, for most of the game....the Cards finally got it all together in the fourth quarter and got the win. Excuse us while we outplay you.

Ye who scores the most points wins. Toss out the third quarter score ,and sudden abruptness ESPN cut away from the feed after their darling Huskies lost. Yeah, I know...other games awaited.

The Cards were the uninvited party guest that eventually took control of the nacho dip, drank all the punch and left with the best looking guy at the party. A big win against a program that had their share of them against UofL. Payback is a bear, isn't it?

You play with what you got. Injures happen. It has to be "next player up'" mentality.

UConn is in uncharted water. They aren't a top 10 squad anymore this season, How will GENO react? Yes, BIG EAST foes await --- like kids at Christmas -- knowing this could be that year where they might topple the mighty Huskies. McDonald's All-Americans are great to have, but if they're not on the court for you -- they're just scholarship cheerleaders.

This Louisville team has fight. They do not fold. Hailey Van Lith does not like to lose. Ahlana Smith is the grateful Yorkie finally turned loose and is bounding around the back yard with un-abandoned glee. Kianna Smith knows it the final go-round for her and wants to create some memories. Kasa Robinson leaves it all out on the court. Always drawing the toughest offensive threat Getting the job done. it's never surrender and take no prisoners the way she sees it. Konno, Verhulst, Cochran, Dixon... all ready to the fray and be what is needed. Check egos at the door with this team. They like each other. They want to play well for each other.

And then there's "E". Freed from the Siberian tyrannical wasteland that was Syracuse ---she was welcomed with open arms, which had to be a pleasant shock to her. The New York City tough, hard nosed gal is now having fun plying basketball. Imagine that. Hearing Jeff Walz tell her that, at Louisville, we beat and expect to beat "team A, opponent B and foe C. Adopt the philosophy, it's different than where you were." And she believes, oh yes, she gets it and buys in to it.

Rest well, young women of the red and black (and occasionally yellow I guess). Enjoy the Xmas break. The road will still be out there when you come back. There will be many looking to upset the apple cart. PLAY HARD AND LOOK FORWARD TO PLAYING The path to greatness is still open.

(If Omicron doesn't put up a Road Closed sign).

--sonja--
Wow Sonja! Heck of a write up. I appreciate all you do here on this board. Go Cards!

Beating UCONN in WBB is an early Christmas to me. The arrogance and superiority complex that has been their mode of operation is now seeing how the rest of college basketball lives. Deal with it Geno. Logo, Buckets and an a fanbase that thinks they are royaity. Your crown means nothing...(sorry Metallica, I had to borrow it...)

--sonja--

Reactions: CardFan
ESPN is not only no different from mainstream media’s agenda-directed telecast; ESPN may be the poster child. We got a glimpse of their complete sellout for the SEC, as the adulation they powered on Ryne Howard before and during the UK vs UL game was nauseating. Makissa Robinson gave some indication as to what happens when someone actually plays defense.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
They were only missing 1 player from the starting lineup and that was Page Bueckers. The player that replaced her scored 24 points. I like Page she is a really good player but I would have loved to have seen Mykasa guard her. The other players missing were players that rotated in. The other player they listed as not in the lineup was Saylor Poffenbarger ( I am not really sure how to spell her name) and she is no longer at UConn she transferred to Arkansas a while ago. I don’t know why they even had her listed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT