ADVERTISEMENT

1-8 the past 9 years pretty frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't matter if it's by 2 points or 152 points, a win is a win and a loss is a loss.

So I've got this straight... The guy who is universally regarded as a great bench coach and developer of talent gets outcoached by the guy who's pretty much just regarded as the world's best recruiter.

Is that what "might be a fact"?

"Elite program", my a$$...

I agree Zipp that Rick is obviously a great coach, but I guess I would disagree on what his strengths are. I have always thought he was a great system coach and motivator, and good at developing an individualized defensive plan for a particular opponent; but not so much of a bench coach. The vast majority of the time the players execute the system and the defensive plan adjustments well and UL kills. But these are pre-game coaching factors. Also, I think he gets his players to become really proficient at running his system more so than developing generalized skills. That's not intended as a knock on Rick. Great coaches win in different ways.

Reactions: nccardfan
Prior to yesterday's game, Louisville's SOS was #331 out of 351 D1 teams.
It's not about U of L's schedule. Everyone knows with the ACC, ours is back end loaded. Watch our SOS start to climb.

Your SOS is now as high as it's gonna get, and it will virtually free fall for the next two months as dog after dog conference team comes along. THAT is the point.--you're not in a true P5 basketball conference, just one masquerading as such.

Yeah, for whatever reason a lot of people on rafters have gotten the "Oh we're too good to waste a schedule spot on the Cardinals" mindset, and it's silly.
I didn't really care either way until reading one too many U of L poster whining about this game and unable to analyze the results with any objectivity.

We don't need the game to have a really good schedule, and the sanity of a small faction of our fanbase suggests we shouldn't have it.

Oh we want this game alright, we would just like to win it sometime. You're the one saying our players don't care if they win or not. Yeah tell that to snider and Spaulding..

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
Can we stop with this super bowl crap, on both sides? This game is equally important for both teams and fans. Its a premiere rivalry in the sport of the 2 best programs win wise the last 6years and 2 of the top 5 programs off all time...
No, you can't beat down the truth... We know it's an actual phenomenon--Super Bowl--because your coach talks about it every week during the regular season. And the game clearly means more to a self-proclaimed basketball school with very little else on its schedule starting now. Speaking of which...

...So Kentucky has nothing to look forward to the rest of the year? That's BS...
Mostly, it's not BS. Sure we all have the postseason to look forward, but that's more than two months out. Until then, LPT fans, players, and coaches have nothing to look forward to but SEZ basketball dregs on the conference schedule. Hell yes this game is all there is now for an LPT fan.

...Plus we have went further than Louisville every year but one the last 6 years in the tourney, not only beating Louisville 2times but swept Louisville both years. If your guys can't get up for a rivalry game against nationally ranked UK in the regular or postseason then the coach is doing something wrong...
How you've done previously means very little to a game result this year. The game only means something if you have some kinda extraordinary regard for the opponent. Clearly, a minority of U of L fans do--the ones whining today--about LPT. The rest of us including players and coaches don't care because it means nothing to the overall season. That is, it's not our Super Bowl, and the results in part show that.

Oh we want this game alright, we would just like to win it sometime. You're the one saying our players don't care if they win or not. Yeah tell that to snider and Spaulding..
You mean tell it to 20% of the team? If we can arrange the game to occasionally be played two-on-two, point taken.

And "we" is you. Leave me outta your POVs esp. when whining and little brother-ism are involved

Okay, so.

'95-'96 season.

Coach A has one of the most talented and best CBB teams of all time with 9 NBA players. Coach B has two players with high major offers on his entire roster...
Sorry, lost track of your argument... Just say it.

If it's that Pitino has underperformed in the Final Four?... He's been there seven times and has two championships (0.286). A random walk through the Final Four should get you a 0.25 batting average since there are four teams there.

Pitino Lite has gotten there six times with one championship, a ratio of 0.167. Simple math.

Doubt that numbers that small are statistically significant, but they trend in the direction of my argument. More observations will see if the trend continues.

Its different in football when almost no bowl game has any real meaning...
Kinda like a meaningless December nonconference game in basketball.

...The talent differential is not there this year outside of Murray...
You guys have SIX Rivals 5-star guys on your roster. U of L has ZERO.

...we lost a starter in warmups who is our best perimeter defender and the 3rd leading scorer, giving us no time to prepare to be without him...
Preparation aside, everyone is starting to have bumps and bruises. Your team was down a guy, so was ours. You've got a nicked up PG, we have a nicked up center and a wing. It happens. Elite programs don't make excuses.

...I also think I read that Louisville has more combined 4 and 5 star players than any team in the country.
Wherever you're doing your research, be careful. Like I said, ZERO 5-star players.

Zip...Lee really looked like he cared out there. You're kidding yourself if you don't think this is a big game for you guys. Yes, you'll have several good matchups in the ACC. But, you mean to tell me that this is just another game? Do you guys make this many threads on your board for Virginia and Duke? Do you talk about UNC year round? You guys wanted to win this, and now you're being THAT GUY that's just like, yeah we didn't really care. C'mon now man
As not-from-around-here guys, Lee and Lewis both cared. They have one go-around, and they're cut like that. The rest of the team, I'm not too sure. Look how both halves started. One team wanted it a lot more, got more 50-50 balls, played more aggressively.

And we see some of that every year. Your NIT team played the game within three points. LPT is a self-proclaimed basketball school, and your kids want this game more. What your coach calls a "Super Bowl". That and the talent advantage have to explain the results...there have to be one or more reasons. And we know for damn sure it ain't about bench coaching.

Yeah zipp. It such an inconsequential December game. Keep it on the schedule. Roll eyes.

Substitute SuCkS for another crap team, that way you can no longer keep up
the facade of inconsequential December games. Get rid of ALL non conference games.

That way you can quit spinning.

Coach Pitino states he hates losing....period.
He also stated he hated playing the game. He coaches like it.

Either win it more than once in 7 tries, or just substitute grand Canyon.

Come on Zipp. You like to point out when people use out of context quotes, yet you keep harping on the "super bowl" reference. That's BS and you know it. We both know this game bigger for the fans and programs than the teams... You pretend to be above, but your actions say otherwise.

No where was it ever said or implied that this is UK's super bowl. What was said by Calipari is that other teams treat UK like a super bowl. That other teams always bring their best to try to knock off the Cats.

The exact quote is "We don't just play college basketball, we are college basketball. As you know, we are everyone's Super Bowl."

Come on Zipp. You like to point out when people use out of context quotes, yet you keep harping on the "super bowl" reference. That's BS and you know it. We both know this game bigger for the fans and programs than the teams... You pretend to be above, but your actions say otherwise.

No where was it ever said or implied that this is UK's super bowl. What was said by Calipari is that other teams treat UK like a super bowl. That other teams always bring their best to try to knock off the Cats.

The exact quote is "We don't just play college basketball, we are college basketball. As you know, we are everyone's Super Bowl."

It is uofk's superbowl.
They played no where near as good all season.
uofk will lose to SEC teams, none of whom are better than UofL

Reactions: Cue Card
It is uofk's superbowl.
If believing that helps you sleep at night, go ahead.
UK has aims higher than UL. We both know that. UK also has a tendency to play to the level of their competition. This was the best opponent they've seen this year.

It's not about U of L's schedule. Everyone knows with the ACC, ours is back end loaded. Watch our SOS start to climb.

Your SOS is now as high as it's gonna get, and it will virtually free fall for the next two months as dog after dog conference team comes along. THAT is the point.--you're not in a true P5 basketball conference, just one masquerading as such.

Kentucky's current SOS is 102. I will bet any amount of money you can afford that it will be better than that when the NCAA tourney starts.

Reactions: Deli owl
If believing that helps you sleep at night, go ahead.
UK has aims higher than UL. We both know that. UK also has a tendency to play to the level of their competition. This was the best opponent they've seen this year.

Exactly. Best opponent uofk will see.
They played like it. Your denial notwithstanding.
cow only has two goals - Beat UofL and get five, first round draft picks.
He uses up his coaching genius against the Cards, not in the NCAAT.

Reactions: earsky
Exactly. Best opponent uofk will see.
They played like it. Your denial notwithstanding.
cow only has two goals - Beat UofL and get five, first round draft picks.
He uses up his coaching genius against the Cards, not in the NCAAT.

We still play at Kansas this year. They are appreciably better than Louisville plus that game is on the road.

I'd agree that the game with Louisville was probably one of the 5 toughest we will play this year. There are some road trips in the SEC that are going to be just as treacherous as playing U of L at Rupp arena.

I'll also challenge your notion that Cal can't coach in the NCAAT. He owns the third highest NCAA tournament winning % in history, trailing only Wooden and Coach K. Rick is right behind him though and could catch him with a good run this year if UK bows out early.

Youre right john bka
Kansas is better than the Cards.

Conference foes often do play "better" for a myriad of reasons, mainly theyre not
going to bring out the best in uofk.

Cow has a great pct, but one Title in contrast to the talent he has amassed.
It would be equivalent to Coach Wooden winning 3 instead of 8 Titles with all the talent
he signed in the late 60s and 70s. Your fellow fans would back me up on that one.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Youre right john bka
Kansas is better than the Cards.

Conference foes often do play "better" for a myriad of reasons, mainly theyre not
going to bring out the best in uofk.

Cow has a great pct, but one Title in contrast to the talent he has amassed.
It would be equivalent to Coach Wooden winning 3 instead of 8 Titles with all the talent
he signed in the late 60s and 70s. Your fellow fans would back me up on that one.

I agree with your points here Kerry. Cal should have at least one more title to show for all the deep runs he has made. Guys like Wooden, Calhoun, and coach K win those final four games at a much better clip than Cal does. So to your last sentence, even I will back you on that :)

Reactions: KerryRhodes
We still play at Kansas this year. They are appreciably better than Louisville plus that game is on the road.
How the hell do you know that Kansas is appreciably better than Louisville? You don't.

Is Kansas good? You bet they are but to say that they are considerably better than the Cards is an ignorant thing to say.

UofL and Kansas have one common opponent this year in Michigan St. Louisville lost by 4 in East Lansing in a game where Louisville led by 13 and Kansas lost to MSU by 7 on a neutral court. Kansas has played a tougher schedule but Louisville's only other loss was by 2 points at Kentucky in a game that even most UK acknowledged that UofL may have been the better team.

You could have just said that winning at Allen Field house is going to be tough but like the typical UK fan you had to go the extra mile in proving that winning the game is never enough.

It is uofk's superbowl.
That's not true at all. We were very careless with the ball at times, had lots of unnecessary turnovers, and got out-rebounded by 10. It wasn't our WORST game by any means, and yeah, we shot better from outside than we have all year, but overall, they've played much better this year. One example was Duke. We played them way better than you guys. UK had some really good runs against UL but then had some terrible stretches where they almost gave it away. Against Duke there was never a moment when they looked like they didn't have control.

Last edited:
Reactions: midniter
As not-from-around-here guys, Lee and Lewis both cared. They have one go-around, and they're cut like that. The rest of the team, I'm not too sure. Look how both halves started. One team wanted it a lot more, got more 50-50 balls, played more aggressively.

And we see some of that every year. Your NIT team played the game within three points. LPT is a self-proclaimed basketball school, and your kids want this game more. What your coach calls a "Super Bowl". That and the talent advantage have to explain the results...there have to be one or more reasons. And we know for damn sure it ain't about bench coaching.

I'm not going to say Cal is the best bench coach in America. But Rick pulled a doozy letting the defense get set and then letting Lee ad lib it.

"Self proclaimed" basketball school? Okie dokie zip.

Reactions: blubo
Kentucky's current SOS is 102. I will bet any amount of money you can afford that it will be better than that when the NCAA tourney starts.

No action here Zipp? You seem pretty confident that UK's SOS will free fall with every passing game. Seems like easy money for you. I'll even give you odds!

Reactions: Deli owl and blubo
You must not consider Louisville to be an elite program because it seems like all you do is make excuses for them, the silliest of which is arguing that Louisville loses the UK game because it doesn't place much importance in the game.
Your fanbase is the one always talking "elite". I seldom hear U of L fans use that term about their program.

No action here Zipp? You seem pretty confident that UK's SOS will free fall with every passing game. Seems like easy money for you. I'll even give you odds!
LPT's SOS is 19 per RPI--and destined to fade significantly. Not sure where you're getting your info.

RPI

"Self proclaimed" basketball school? Okie dokie zip.
Well then what do you proclaim yourself? A riflery school?? I've never heard an LPT fan argue that point.

Based on what? They lost to Michigan State on a neutral court by 6 points. The only true road game they've played was against San Diego State. Big deal. They beat Harvard by 6 points in Lawrence, Kansas. They are nowhere near as good as you think they are. They'll have at least 2 more losses before playing UofK. Probably more.

I'm obviously a UK fan and its a big game in my eyes. However I don't see it as a Super Bowl or season changing game. Its a rivalry game, I think both sides hate losing this game, but I can tell you from this side of things, is yes I would be pissed if ever lost to UL and on the flip side I really enjoy the W, but I've already moved on from it.

However in saying the above statement, Like UK in Football, I would be highly frustrated losing this much to the rival in state school. The UK football loss and how it played out was embarrassing. If you are a UL fan and act like going 1-8 against UK since Cal has gotten here doesn't bother you, then you are lying...It bothers me losing what, 6 straight vs UL in football and this coming from a UK football fan who knows we are a terrible program lol

Reactions: nccardfan
LPT's SOS is 19 per RPI--and destined to fade significantly. Not sure where you're getting your info.

RPI

Was using Kenpom SOS to get my info. After yesterday's games UK's SOS sits at 99 on Kenpom. Not sure why there is such a huge difference in the 2 metrics, but I know that on Kenpom, it will improve from 99 as the year wears on.

Last edited:
Based on what? They lost to Michigan State on a neutral court by 6 points. The only true road game they've played was against San Diego State. Big deal. They beat Harvard by 6 points in Lawrence, Kansas. They are nowhere near as good as you think they are. They'll have at least 2 more losses before playing UofK. Probably more.

Good points Cue, nobody can really say for sure whether KU is any good or not. I guess my point was that a few posters said the UofL game was the toughest we had played or would play all year. I think going into Lawrence is going to be significantly more difficult than hosting UofL at Rupp. Just an opinion of course.

Good points Cue, nobody can really say for sure whether KU is any good or not. I guess my point was that a few posters said the UofL game was the toughest we had played or would play all year. I think going into Lawrence is going to be significantly more difficult than hosting UofL at Rupp. Just an opinion of course.
If UofK shoots as well as they did against the Cards in Lawrence, the Cats will win by double digits. KU has a good team, but I'm not convinced they're anywhere near as good as they are currently ranked. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. :cool:

Reactions: JohnKBA
If UofK shoots as well as they did against the Cards in Lawrence, the Cats will win by double digits. KU has a good team, but I'm not convinced they're anywhere near as good as they are currently ranked. I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. :cool:

Man, you're right on there - shooting cures a LOT of ills. I did the old "NOOOOOO....YES" at least 4 times on Saturday when our guys were jacking up threes.

Your fanbase is the one always talking "elite". I seldom hear U of L fans use that term about their program.

Wow, so you are saying that most Louisville fans, including yourself, do not consider UofL to be an elite basketball program. I have a feeling your fellow Card fans would disagree with you, as would I.

There is no question that the ACC is better than the SEC... Any road win is a good win IMO, especially in the ACC. This UK fan isn't going to get into an argument on the conf schedule with an ACC school. UL's non conf schedule was a joke and even Coach P admitted so.

Now we have Coach P coming out and saying its emotional for him to come back to Rupp. This after he doesn't get into this rivalry this much lol...
In all fairness, coach scheduled the OOC with the thought his team would be extremely young. The two fifth year seniors were a blessing, but at the same time, those two made the transition for the younger players easier to deal with, thus making the OOC schedule way easier than it needed to be.

Regarding Pitino going back to Rupp, how could it not be emotional for him? He made some life long friends during his time there. I'm sure looking up and seeing his jersey next to his dear friend Bill Knightly's causes him extreme emotion and probably sadness too. That man meant the world to coach Pitino. I'm sure he has plenty of fond memories to reflect on. How could he not?

Can someone please confirm that I have this right. Zipps argument is that UK came out ready to play and did their best to win the game while UL did not care as much and were indifferent on whether they won or lost?
Does Zipp want an apology from UK for playing harder than UL when it appears that he should want an apology from UL for not playing hard enough?
My point of view is that these are extremely competitive young athletes who want to win every game.
In my best Herm Edwards voice "You play to win the game".

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT