ADVERTISEMENT

1-8 the past 9 years pretty frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Gadbois

1250+
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2013
Pretty damn frustrating we can't beat them more often. I know it's not that important of a game. I know we play a better schedule with the ACC. And I know we will probably even have a better post season this year. But damn. We have got to find a way to beat these guys more often.

Everyone knows how hard it is to beat them on their home floor but the most disappointing thing to me about the game besides the loss is that our home grown starting point guard has his worst game against our rival scoring ZERO points and having only ONE assist. While UKs hometown guy Dominique Hawkins who averages 1.7 ppg and rarely sees the court pours in 13 points against us.

Anyone who watches these games year after year just expect things like that to happen along with our most important big man always getting 2 quick fouls or like today UK shoots a blistering 11/23 from the 3 point line while shooting only 29% from behind the arc the rest of the season.

These losses to UK are getting old especially when you have the better team just like going 0-2 against them in 2014.

Everyone knows how hard it is to beat them on their home floor but the most disappointing thing to me about the game besides the loss is that our home grown starting point guard has his worst game against our rival scoring ZERO points and having only ONE assist. While UKs hometown guy Dominique Hawkins who averages 1.7 ppg and rarely sees the court pours in 13 points against us.

Anyone who watches these games year after year just expect things like that to happen along with our most important big man always getting 2 quick fouls or like today UK shoots a blistering 11/23 from the 3 point line while shooting only 29% from behind the arc the rest of the season.

That is exactly the type of stuff I was talking about. Someone- or two- players from Uk always plays over their head and has an all world game against us. Happens pretty much every single time so I've come to expect it.

Coach Pitino once stated he hates that the game is played between the two.

Cow on the other hand, coaches like his job depends on it. SuCkS plays their best
against UofL -every season.
It's hard to get away from these facts.

The question is why? I think I understand as far as Rick is concerned. The nastiness by the UK faithful has surely taken its toll. I imagine it's gets harder and harder to look back fondly on your days as the coach of a school whose fans mostly now detest you.

I'm sure Rick would love to be appreciated in Lexington but that's life. He may not have expected the prolonged hard feelings but he's been the coach in Louisville now for 15 years so it's time to at least accept it.

Reactions: blubo
It's not like the Cards are getting blown out in these games. The games have been very competitive with exception of the one game at the Yum where Harrelson played the game of his life. It just seems like there are one or two plays near the end of every game that go their way. The series has to even up. There is no way that one team can win like this when it is two of the top five programs in the country. Hopefully the Cards will start a winning streak against them and their fans will be as frustrated as we are.

To be honest Kerry

Pitino never had a problem playing Louisville when he was UK's coach.

You might want to ask him what has changed.

Its the first thing demanded of you by big blew administrators and boosters,
when hired.

It literally IS uofk 's superbowl. If they played like they did today all season,
theyd be number one with all the 1st place votes.

UK did not play well imo, that was a B- game. They had a few players step up but also some of their best players basically sucked. I don't think they are quite an NIT team but they are not as good as they should be and today's game was proof. To have that lead then play horrible like they did was not playing "the best game they played all year."

It's absolutely frustrating; no denying that. And it's not just a Rick Pitino thing either. Denny Crum had a 7-13 record against UK. I personally think it's a mental block for Card players when we play them. We VERY rarely play anywhere near our potential when we play them. We play tentative on offense and defense; as though we play not to lose, rather than to win. You have to give them a lot of the credit for their defense, and for making winnings plays more often than we do. Credit the opponent. But, I have felt, going WAY back, that we have to have a substantially better team (TEAM, not talent) to overcome the mental block we play against them with. It is what is; I don't have a solution. One day we simply have to win a few in a row to gain some confidence and eliminate the doubt. The good news is, we are still a very good basketball team and program, and we have experienced a great deal of success, despite being dominated in this particular series.

Not gonna lie it is pretty frustrating, especially in a year like this where UofL could've definitely won. UofL is just snake bitten in this series it seems. It seems like Uk never plays a terrible game against us but that the Cards usually do. That does make it irritating.
Truth.

Its the first thing demanded of you by big blew administrators and boosters,
when hired.

It literally IS uofk 's superbowl. If they played like they did today all season,
theyd be number one with all the 1st place votes.
No. Not even close to superbowl. Do we want to win? Yes. Rivalry for bragging rights. SEC championship means more. Final Fours are also more important. National Championship is our Super Bowl/Goal, This game ranks fairly high but, kicking the crap out of Tennessee and a couple of others in the SEC rank up there as well.

Cal doesn't coach this game up any more than others. His record against ranked teams is very good. His issue is he doesn't do any game preparation for the final fours he keeps losing because he always says I'm just worrying about 'my team.' With Pitino, it's a system and Cal knows the system very very well. With equal or better players, he's going to win. U.K. Actually almost won during Louisvilles title year when UK was vastly inferior. Cal beat UK in 1996 and was a hard out in the FF that year with one of the all time great teams, so truly if anyone says this game doesn't mean anything to Pitino, it's trying to find reasons why he keeps losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's the fact that just maybe we can't accept the fact that coach Cow might just be out coaching Rick...
So I've got this straight... The guy who is universally regarded as a great bench coach and developer of talent gets outcoached by the guy who's pretty much just regarded as the world's best recruiter.

Is that what "might be a fact"?

"Elite program", my a$$...

No. Not even close to superbowl. Do we want to win? Yes. Rivalry for bragging rights. SEC championship means more. Final Fours are also more important. National Championship is our Super Bowl/Goal, This game ranks fairly high but, kicking the crap out of Tennessee and a couple of others in the SEC rank up there as well.
Everyone wants to win the NCAA championship. But game to game on the schedule, there's no question this game is LPT's SB. Your schedule has very few good teams on it, and you play basketball in a football conference. Hardly anyone on your schedule gives a damn about basketball, which is exactly what LPT fans, coaches, and administrators want.

Look how the teams play. U of L's guys come out of the locker room half inspired, while their LPT counterparts play like it's their final game. It's a SB for one team, and the other one has the rest of the season to look forward to. The U of L kids are disinterested.

Everyone wants to win the NCAA championship. But game to game on the schedule, there's no question this game is LPT's SB. Your schedule has very few good teams on it, and you play basketball in a football conference. Hardly anyone on your schedule gives a damn about basketball, which is exactly what LPT fans, coaches, and administrators want.

Look how the teams play. U of L's guys come out of the locker room half inspired, while their LPT counterparts play like it's their final game. It's a SB for one team, and the other one has the rest of the season to look forward to. The U of L kids are disinterested.

Come on Zipp, that's crap and you know it. High level Division 1 athletes don't play at that level without fierce competitiveness. It's quite possible that the players don't care about the "rivalry" as I have heard UK players say that before. Even our team with AD had players that were friends with UL players. But UL players, nor UK players, would be disinterested in playing a team of UK/UL caliber. UK is the winningest team in history and UL has had tremendous success (and both have had tremendous success in recent years). Both teams are ones you mark on the calendar as a player. If a team is disinterested while playing UK or UL, then they shouldn't be playing college basketball.

Come on Zipp, that's crap and you know it. High level Division 1 athletes don't play at that level without fierce competitiveness. It's quite possible that the players don't care about the "rivalry" as I have hear UK players say that before. Even our team with AD had players that were friends with UL players. But UL players, nor UK players, would be disinterested in playing a team of UK/UL caliber. UK is the winningest team in history and UL has had tremendous success (and both have had tremendous success in recent years). Both teams are ones you mark on the calendar as a player. If a team is disinterested while playing UK or UL, then they shouldn't be playing college basketball.
Well, I used to think that. But hearing the arguments of a lot of LPT fans after U of L thumped Florida in the Sugar Bowl and two decades earlier when U of L did the same to Bama in the Fiesta Bowl have convinced me otherwise.

If one group of kids is a lot more motivated than the other, maybe it can affect the outcome of the game significantly. Add to that the big talent differential between the basketball teams, and a two-point margin is probably more than a U of L fan could expect.

And I'm sure we'll have another example if U of L steamrolls the Aggies on Wednesday nite.

Really time to rethink this game. Not sure it benefits anybody.

Why?

Its frustrating to lose to your rival, however, who else should you play ?
Why not a team 80 miles away ?

Are the Cards not good enough for ya ? Of the last 9, only one game
has been decided by 10 or more points.

Reactions: Cats192
Yeah, for whatever reason a lot of people on rafters have gotten the "Oh we're too good to waste a schedule spot on the Cardinals" mindset, and it's silly.

Can we stop with this super bowl crap, on both sides? This game is equally important for both teams and fans. Its a premiere rivalry in the sport of the 2 best programs win wise the last 6years and 2 of the top 5 programs off all time.

So Kentucky has nothing to look forward to the rest of the year? That's BS. Plus we have went further than Louisville every year but one the last 6 years in the tourney, not only beating Louisville 2times but swept Louisville both years. If your guys can't get up for a rivalry game against nationally ranked UK in the regular or postseason then the coach is doing something wrong.

About your team, you guys are def a title contender and Lee is a stud. Your young guys are tough as well. It was a great game man for real.

Reactions: KDcats11 and Jkwo
So I've got this straight... The guy who is universally regarded as a great bench coach and developer of talent gets outcoached by the guy who's pretty much just regarded as the world's best recruiter.

Is that what "might be a fact"?

Okay, so.

'95-'96 season.

Coach A has one of the most talented and best CBB teams of all time with 9 NBA players. Coach B has two players with high major offers on his entire roster.

Coach A coaches a team that should theoretically get all the calls, has the name brand recognition - Coach B coaches a nobody mid major team that has been to the tourney once before he arrived, in 1962. Zero brand recognition.

Coach A + B play twice, split the series, including a 10 point win for coach B.

If Coach A is one of the greatest to ever coach, and Coach B is thoroughly mediocre.

How does this all work out?

Well, I used to think that. But hearing the arguments of a lot of LPT fans after U of L thumped Florida in the Sugar Bowl and two decades earlier when U of L did the same to Bama in the Fiesta Bowl have convinced me otherwise.

If one group of kids is a lot more motivated than the other, maybe it can affect the outcome of the game significantly. Add to that the big talent differential between the basketball teams, and a two-point margin is probably more than a U of L fan could expect.

And I'm sure we'll have another example if U of L steamrolls the Aggies on Wednesday nite.

Its different in football when almost no bowl game has any real meaning. Like that Florida team you guys beat, they were one 6 turnover game loss from playing for the title as they finished 3rd in the Bcs. Hell even your fans dwarfed theirs at the game. Louisville had respect and pride to play for as no one, including me thought you had a chance in hell of winning that game. Plus strong was plenty motivated himself after he felt Florida did not really consider hiring him. That Florida team was damn good too. They beat 5 different top 15 teams that year. Their offense was terrible but their defense and special teams were probably the best in the country. No matter the reason though, you guys absolutely humiliated them. The game was never close. Total domination on all fronts. I can't believe your offense abused them like that. I was damn impressed. Whether Florida was motivated or not, that's no excuse though.

The talent differential is not there this year outside of Murray and he tried his best to hand you the game today. Plus we lost a starter in warmups who is our best perimeter defender and the 3rd leading scorer, giving us no time to prepare to be without him. I also think I read that Louisville has more combined 4 and 5 star players than any team in the country.

Reactions: Deli owl
I thought you guys played really well today. You had a great game plan and came all the way back down 16. Hats off to you guys. Lee is a player. You guys will be tough come March.

Reactions: WinnyChester

Zip...Lee really looked like he cared out there. You're kidding yourself if you don't think this is a big game for you guys. Yes, you'll have several good matchups in the ACC. But, you mean to tell me that this is just another game? Do you guys make this many threads on your board for Virginia and Duke? Do you talk about UNC year round? You guys wanted to win this, and now you're being THAT GUY that's just like, yeah we didn't really care. C'mon now man

Prior to yesterday's game, Louisville's SOS was #331 out of 351 D1 teams.
And yet UofK won by 2. Exactly HOW is the SOS relevant to the outcome yesterday?

As of today, the Cards will play games against top 10 teams (as in more than 1) for the remainder of the regular season. UofK will play exactly 1. We'll see where that luscious SOS argument you seem to think is important is at the end of the season. Something tells me the overall schedule UofL plays compared to UofK's will be much stronger. Truth is it doesn't matter. UofK won. By 2. That's all that matters today.

Reactions: zipp
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT