ADVERTISEMENT

Yum center retains naming rights

A little good news and bad news in there...

The good is that the LAA simply got someone--anyone--to step up esp. in these times. I didn't think that would happen. And the dollar amount is almost the same even though I highly doubt Yum! Brands had any competition.

The bad news is that the dollar amount IS about the same. Over the time frame in the graph below, naming rights revenue will have increased about 14%, which is a paltry 0.7% annualized rate of increase. The last decade, inflation has been pretty low. So, a more or less fixed income stream was no big deal. Not necessarily so going forward when most are expecting much higher inflation.

One expense that we know will inflate and by how much is the annual debt service. I've projected expenses over the next decade reflecting ONLY that increase, i.e., all other expenses remaining flat for ten years (which we know isn't going to happen). This graph reflects a constant naming rights revenue stream--$1.48 million/yr--as a percentage of the annual expenses. Naming rights revenue will service that debt by an amount that declines from around 9% now to 6.5%.

Naming_Rights__of_Expenses

And of course we know there will be issues with other arena revenue streams, notably the TIF which is (or was) ten times larger than the naming rights. We have revenues that are flat or declining, expenses that are increasing, and an arena net position that is barely positive, relatively speaking. Today's headline notwithstanding, that's a bad mix...

Good find. And it's the right way IMO to structure the agreement. The LAA had no options but to agree to what Yum! wanted to offer.

Keep in mind too that the consultants in 2008 projected a $2 million annual revenue stream. Maybe the LAA gets there in 2050 or so (when I'll be 93...)

Some how this fiasco is the fault of the clown show Tyra SMH.
It's someone's job to put a good product on the floor and fill the seats with fans, both of which help arena finances. I'm not sure whose job that is if it's not "Vince's"...

4th Street Dead was declining before civil unrest and covid. Isn’t most of the second level a for-profit college or something like that? Seems like Cordish would be more to blame than anyone. They run it.

Yeah, I'm not "blaming" anyone... I'm just talking about the results.

It's also not quite accurate to file this news under Covid. HRC appears to have strategically closed nonperforming stores over the years. Presumably with the lease expiring, these guys decided the profit here isn't enough to try to weather the pandemic and the uncertainty of how much/little traffic there will be on the other side. Hard to blame them.

If you have a favorite restaurant down that way, you should probably check it out before it closes too. I'm gonna have to try out the churrascaria there to see how it compares to the actual Brazilian versions I sampled in Rio and Sao Paulo. I may only get one chance.

On the positive side, there are new restaurants occupying the old Buckhead properties incl. the one here in Jeffersonville. And it appears Upland Brewing may also be taking over the adjacent and long abandoned Rocky's property here as well. At least that's the rumor. Of course, we're a river away from the arena TIF district... :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT