ADVERTISEMENT

Youngstown St

earsky

Four-Star Poster
Jan 12, 2010
By all accounts,YSU(0-6) looks like a team searching for their offensive identity. It does look like they improved from the series with Texas St to the series last weekend with College of Charleston but this looks like on paper a really good chance to see some more of the young arms.
Rain expected Friday so we'll see how that pans out.

Reactions: Vikcard and rh62531
I’m guessing there will be a DH on Saturday. Gongora needs to dang offensive support this weekend!

Might get today’s game in. I’d hate to have to play today (yuck). But, they may get a reprieve based on where showers happen to pop up.

Off to an outstanding start to include a HR from Anderson. 6-0 thru 2.

8-0 now. Should be getting past the worst of the rain too.

Spoke too soon about the rain. Cards up 10-1. Gongora looking good again.

On a day like today he's the perfect pitcher for the defense. Getting the job done on the mound quickly so your not out in the rain long.

I don’t get the need to keep going back to King. Just not getting it done. Wish he was. McCoy needs to be on a very short leash as well.

15-1 now. Gundy in relief of Gongora. Humphrey took a pitch out of the ballpark earlier.

Soon as I say that Ming rips a ball to RCF and it turns into an in-the-park homerun. Followed by a Logan Beard HR. Logan should play 1B - I imagine he could.
17-1 Cards.

And then…McCoy strikes out looking. Good lord.

Looks like we won big. Maybe the talk of the season being over was premature. But we still haven’t beaten anyone and lost to 4 bad teams

Looks like we won big. Maybe the talk of the season being over was premature. But we still haven’t beaten anyone and lost to 4 bad teams
Trust me when I say that state didn't have a chance. They would struggle against a community college. That being said, Gongora looked really good. Spotted pitches well, mixed those pitches well and kept the pace up so his D wasn't standing in the rain long. The relievers did just as well by throwing strikes and again keeping the game moving. Hitting wise it was batting practice. State made a few errors in the first and Louisville pounced and never let up. States pitching was little better than high school pitching but maybe this will give the team a boost going forward.

The ACC is as good from top to bottom as it has ever been; my fear is that we are going to be at the bottom.

Earsky deserves credit for projecting the pre-season on the potential we have at the plate, as well as the young talent on this roster, as no one (despite poor competition) should discount the double digit runs over these last 5 games. However, once we get into conference play, our opponent’s pitching will challenge well beyond what we have seen thus far. I still question our own pitching rotation, something that has been a disappointing pattern for several seasons now, which is totally uncharacteristic of a Roger Williams team.

Indiana St and UConn and Xavier are not bad teams. ISU and UConn are good teams.
Yeah,those are all good baseball programs. They've all been seen crashing the dance and on the verge of crashing the series over the last several years. Really no shame losing to any of them at any point in the season.

The ACC is as good from top to bottom as it has ever been; my fear is that we are going to be at the bottom.

Earsky deserves credit for projecting the pre-season on the potential we have at the plate, as well as the young talent on this roster, as no one (despite poor competition) should discount the double digit runs over these last 5 games. However, once we get into conference play, our opponent’s pitching will challenge well beyond what we have seen thus far. I still question our own pitching rotation, something that has been a disappointing pattern for several seasons now, which is totally uncharacteristic of a Roger Williams team.
The jury is still out. We'll know more by the end of March.

Mac more or less has given a projection of what he plans to do going forward,and that is to use the depth he has to put the best hitting 9 in the lineup. However,I don't anticipate that happening until we get into ACC play. Until then,he will give his veterans every chance to retain their spots.
Everything changes when league play starts imo.

Reactions: shutterbug
It has been noted the comp hasn’t been stellar these last two weekends. I agree. BUT, what you want to see is smart baseball, strong hitting, solid defense and pitchers pounding the zone. I don’t care who you are playing a walk is a walk. Minimize walks period. Right now what I hope this teams is really getting out of these games is confidence. That means A LOT. Personnel-wise…The only changes I hope to see are at 1B and in the OF. Give me Napleton or Anderson or Beard of Klein at first. It would be great if McCoy was being productive at the plate- he isn’t. He has great power but he guesses a lot and still struggles with off-speed pitches. I wish EKjr was more consistent as well. But, he is not. He has been more of a liability at the plate than a positive. Platoon him or bring him later in a game. Others should see more time.

Cruising into the 9th with a shutout and they hand the ball over to FR Dean. Starts off great and then just crumbles. They score 3. Corbett comes in and gets a ground-rule double crushed off him to score runs 4 and 5. Corbett strikes out the last guy for the win.

Last edited:
It speaks to the vulnerability in baseball when one player (pitcher) ”doesn’t have his stuff” …….the rest of the team and fans alike suffer.

CDM has a a long history of giving his kids a chance to work out of jams; there are obviously consequences on one hand, and learning opportunities on the other hand. Yesterday was an example of both.

As the starting rotation takes shape,the bullpen continues its growing pains and its search for an identity. Lots of questions to be answered during March preparing for league play.

Thought Forbes was pretty good. Detmers, Starke and Kayden were all pretty good.

Reactions: earsky
Thought Forbes was pretty good. Detmers, Starke and Kayden were all pretty good.
Glad to hear about Campbell. I was at the game long enough to see Sticks(Starke) pitch and had to leave.
Really like the kid from StX as he is a location pitcher who can throw that breaking ball for strikes and he keeps the ball low in the zone. One of those guys who will likely create a lot of ground balls.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT