ADVERTISEMENT

WSOC on ACC Network Tonight vs Syracuse

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
It's a bit earlier than the normal start time for Louisville women's evening soccer matches, but Cards women's soccer will square off against the Syracuse Orange at 6:00 p.m., ET at the SU Soccer Stadium. No, they don't play in the Dome for Soccer. I've learned something today.

The Orange has gone 4-3-1 so far this season and is currently on a two-match losing streak. Syracuse had a hot start to the season, winning four of their first five matches plus a pair of exhibition victories prior to that. But, Syracuse has gone 0-2-1 in the their last three matches while being outscored 7-0 in that stretch. A scoreless tie hosting Cornell, and then losses on the road to Notre Dame and UConn.

Like Louisville, SU has taken the scoring by committee approach with seven players scoring their nine goals on the year. Senior Telly Vunipola has been a key factor in the offense with two goals and two assists.

Graduate student Lysianne Proulx has played every minute in goal for the Orange. She has recorded 29 saves while allowing 12 goals for a .707 save percentage.

The Cards are 5-1-1 on the year with their last two matches going into double overtime- a 1-1 draw against #16 Michigan and a 3-2 victory while visiting Miami (Fla.).

Nine Cards have tallied a combined 18 goals on the year with Nina Nicosia and Emma Hiscock with three goals apiece. Brooke Dardano has been a key factor with the scoring with four assists. Freshman have been the power for goal-scoring for UofL. The Cards have outscored opponents 18-9.

"Grandma" Gabby Kouzelos has commanded the net, logging all 664 minutes in goal. The graduate student has 24 saves with just nine goals allowed for a solid .727 save percentage.

Louisville is 7-0-1 against Syracuse in the overall meeting between the two squads.

--sonja--

Reactions: Bardman
Up 1-0 at half a lot of running we are spending a lot of time attacking their goal but so far only 1 goal.

Announcers keep talking about how young Syracuse is but Louisville is playing quite a few freshmen as well.

This male commentator must be a Syracuse announcer because he is really talking up Syracuse.

I think he mentioned Syracuse was playing a lot of freshmen every time he said a sentence. He never mentioned that we played 4 freshmen a good part of the game and by the way our freshmen are really good. The female commentator made a comment at the end that I totally disagreed with.
She said that Syracuse lost but she thought they were the better team. I was thinking the same thing about us the whole game that we looked like the better team the whole game.

I like Alex Perlman as an announcer, got to meet him years ago when he was doing USF women's hoops. Delightful guy!

Syracuse women's soccer not as good as ours this year, we played "lazy and slow" according to Coach KFD but found a way to win on the road. FSU will be a chore, they're #1 in the nation and easily handled a good Pitt team last night.

--sonja--

FSU looks really good we are going to have play a lot better than what we did against Syracuse to beat them.

That pretty much explains women’s and men’s sports in a lot of cases ……. Playing up or down to the level of the competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT