ADVERTISEMENT

WKU playing now

Kratz

2500+
Nov 18, 2001
Don't know the circumstances, but think it's a shame that Brohm isn't coaching. He should be riding out the season with this team. Purdue could have waited a couple of weeks.

That was the contract with Purdue though. If he waited, it was gone. He had to leave immediately, which is what a lot of people do. Like Herman, he was gone too before their bowl. Kinda bad for the team, but looks like they are still ready to play. 7-7 early.

Don't know the circumstances, but think it's a shame that Brohm isn't coaching. He should be riding out the season with this team. Purdue could have waited a couple of weeks.

When we hired Hazell, we let him coach the bowl game and it really impacted things in a negative way. He was slow to get his staff together, offer/sign recruits, and just was behind the ball on a lot of things. I realize it's not ideal for WKU, but after what happened with Hazell, we couldn't let that happen again.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
It's all about recruiting, hitting the ground running. A college football program looking to rebuild can't afford to wait. You need your guy right away for a variety of reasons. Besides, WKU did just fine without him. They beat the team who beat the team who soundly beat us.

Pretty interesting game to see Keith Brown and Dawson Brents make some big plays. Also even with no Brohm, the Hilltoppers pulled out two trick plays, one a option pass to a lineman that went for a TD and right before the half they faked a kneel down and ran off 40 yards with under a minute to play. The next play however was an interception in the end zone. It may be gimmicky but it sure was entertaining. Really caught Memphis with their pants down. I really like the passion of the DC Holt as well.

That was the contract with Purdue though. If he waited, it was gone. He had to leave immediately, which is what a lot of people do. Like Herman, he was gone too before their bowl. Kinda bad for the team, but looks like they are still ready to play. 7-7 early.
Western won big over Memphis, a team that drilled Houston a week after Houston embarrassed us. The Toppers deserve more props than they are getting.

CBS on WKU

From the Article:

With nonconference games against Eastern Kentucky, Illinois, Ball State and Vanderbilt, Western Kentucky may have a zero in the loss column come December ahead of the Conference USA title game.

Florida Atlantic and FIU just hired new coaches in an effort to to climb their way up to the top of the conference. They may have made two splashy hires in Lane Kiffin and Butch Davis, respectively, but Western Kentucky has done it with lesser known names -- at least at the time of their hire.

WKU hired Willie Taggart back to the school after three years on Jim Harbaugh's staff at Stanford.

He spent seven years at the school before that and played quarterback for the Hilltoppers in the 1990s.

Then, when Taggart left for South Florida, the Hilltoppers once again looked within and promoted Jeff Brohm.

Western Kentucky isn't able to lure the big-name coaching candidate away from a top programs, but bringing in Mike Sanford from Notre Dame will help keep intact one of the most potent offenses in college football.

If one thing is certain about WKU's future in C-USA, it's that it should be on top of the hill for a long time to come.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-respect-western-kentucky-as-a-ny6-contender/

CBS on WKU

From the Article:

With nonconference games against Eastern Kentucky, Illinois, Ball State and Vanderbilt, Western Kentucky may have a zero in the loss column come December ahead of the Conference USA title game.

Florida Atlantic and FIU just hired new coaches in an effort to to climb their way up to the top of the conference. They may have made two splashy hires in Lane Kiffin and Butch Davis, respectively, but Western Kentucky has done it with lesser known names -- at least at the time of their hire.

WKU hired Willie Taggart back to the school after three years on Jim Harbaugh's staff at Stanford.

He spent seven years at the school before that and played quarterback for the Hilltoppers in the 1990s.

Then, when Taggart left for South Florida, the Hilltoppers once again looked within and promoted Jeff Brohm.

Western Kentucky isn't able to lure the big-name coaching candidate away from a top programs, but bringing in Mike Sanford from Notre Dame will help keep intact one of the most potent offenses in college football.

If one thing is certain about WKU's future in C-USA, it's that it should be on top of the hill for a long time to come.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...-respect-western-kentucky-as-a-ny6-contender/

Just a slight omission there.

Western won big over Memphis, a team that drilled Houston a week after Houston embarrassed us. The Toppers deserve more props than they are getting.

Yeah, I really like what they have done with that program down in Bowling Green. Almost reminds me of where we were when the Pipe took over here. Don't know if they can get there, but I see them overtaking UK as this states #2 product for sure.

In the 60's WKU was always contending for the OVC title. They inherited several players from the "Thin 30" fiasco at uk including future Cleveland Brown and All Pro LB Dale Lindsey who was from Bowling Green.

In the 70's they were 1-AA National Runner Ups twice under Jimmy Feix.

Always have had strong FB until the BB snobs tried their best to kill it when Harbaugh was there. But they couldn't, so they decided to go FBS.

Now, FB is blowing BB out of the water down there.

But, some other people never learn :p

Me personally would like playing WKU in a yearly series as apposed to UK. The UK series does nothing for our resume year in and year out, so what's the loss? I'd much rather go to Bowling Green than step foot in Lexington again. The UK series has become unhealthy recently (this years game being somewhat of an exception). I would have advocated swapping the B-ball game too, but that series with WKU became unhealthy quick. But maybe football would be a better game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT