ADVERTISEMENT

Wins for Volleyball and Field Hockey Saturday

Sonja

Jun 20, 2001
Louisville
www.cardinalcouple.com
A great day for Louisville women's sports yesterday as the Volleyball and Field Hockey squads took wins.

It was rainy almost the entire match in the Louisville Field Hockey visit to Wake Forest. The wet surface can dramatically change the nature of teams' attack and defense, but Louisville got the 2-1 win.

Erica Cooper got Louisville off to a 1-0 lead with her second goal of the season in the first quarter. The game was tied on a Wake Forest score off a penalty corner, but, the Cards used a penalty corner as well to get the get the deciding goal when Emilia Kazcmarczyk fired a shot off the set and pass.

The Cards are now 5-0 and play a match again today that doesn't count in the conference standings against the Demon Deacons.

Volleyball took another three set sweep over Syracuse last night in the L&N Federal Credit Union Arena.

The three sets were a lot more competitive than Friday, but Louisville won them all -- 25-18, 25-21 and 27-25 in a third set nail-biter.

Aiko Jones led Louisville with 17 kills and Anna DeBeer continues to impress as a freshman. The Assumption grad had 12 kills.

--sonja--

I watched the VB match the Louisville women looked really impressive and Anna DeBeer plays way ahead of her age. Now I see why she was player of the year in Kentucky it was well deserved. I was wondering what the Head Coach of Syracuse was thinking getting hammered by his former school.

I watched the VB match the Louisville women looked really impressive and Anna DeBeer plays way ahead of her age. Now I see why she was player of the year in Kentucky it was well deserved. I was wondering what the Head Coach of Syracuse was thinking getting hammered by his former school.
No post-game comments or interviews were conducted at the match with either Coach. Yelin's "retirement" from volleyball and Louisville in 2011 didn't last very long. He was back at it within months and most feel it was a move by Jurich to bring in Anne Kordes as the Cards head coach. He went almost immediately to Colorado as an assistant coach and stated: "I retired from Louisville, not Volleyball."

--sonja--

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT