ADVERTISEMENT

Will The Defense Change This Season?

SpotHogCard

1250+
Mar 17, 2013
I have never liked the 3-4 simply because it requires very specific body types and in some positions very elite athletes which a very hard to find/recruit. I don't think it is very effective against today's offenses (jmo)

I HOPE we will not be rushing three when we need sacks and tfl to get the ball back in critical games again, that was embarrassing.

I don't think we are going to change defensive schemes or anything that drastic, does anyone have any insight at to how or if the D could change this year?

Last edited:
I have never liked the 3-4 simply because it requires very specific body types and in some positions very elite athletes which a very hard to find/recruit. I don't think it is very effective against today's offenses (jmo)

I HOPE we will not be rushing three when we needs sacks and tfl to get the ball back in critical games again, that was embarrassing.

I don't think we are going to change defensive schemes or anything that drastic, does anyone have any insight at to how or if the D could change this year?
I agree with most of your thoughts about the 3-4. It is a great defense when you have position specific personnel but it usually take a few years to collect that kind of talent. I don't know if we are there yet.

FWIW (nothing) I grew up a 4-3 guy but, given today's offensive game, now believe the 4-2-5 is the way to go as your basic defensive scheme. JMO

Peace

When it's all said and done we run a 3-3-5...Abdullah generally is a stand up player on the line of scrimmage and your third LB (I think they call it the CARD position) is invariably a recruited safety grown out of the position or converted down into the box, i.e. Fagot and now Ben Perry.

I am of the belief 4-2-5 is best for our plight and HATE the thought of Lole being a block eater at NT rather than a gap splitter shading a guard. UK showed how easy it is to overload the weakside of the formation with blockers; all they did is bring a TE across the formation. That TE often was locked onto defender who he was still bigger than and when you run big backs like Smoke and Rodriguez off of those types of mismatches anything less than a four yard carry is a moral victory.

When it's all said and done we run a 3-3-5...Abdullah generally is a stand up player on the line of scrimmage and your third LB (I think they call it the CARD position) is invariably a recruited safety grown out of the position or converted down into the box, i.e. Fagot and now Ben Perry.

I am of the belief 4-2-5 is best for our plight and HATE the thought of Lole being a block eater at NT rather than a gap splitter shading a guard. UK showed how easy it is to overload the weakside of the formation with blockers; all they did is bring a TE across the formation. That TE often was locked onto defender who he was still bigger than and when you run big backs like Smoke and Rodriguez off of those types of mismatches anything less than a four yard carry is a moral victory.
UK beat us running the QB. Before the game I told my brother, UK fan, that I didn’t understand why they didn’t run the QB more because he always gained good yardage, and I thought he would run a lot against us. We couldn’t cover the extra ball handler and the rest is history.

The key will be can the back end allow them to be aggressive up front. They just couldn’t cover the last couple of years. That led to some pretty conservative play calling.

They weren’t really overpowered except for the Ole Miss and UK game. The run game really didn’t kill them except in those games. It was the back end that couldn’t cover. The Virginia game they dropped 8 and still couldn’t cover.

If Clark, Brownlee and Riley are really good then the defense is going to be much better. It lets them call a completely different game. They can be a lot more aggressive.

Levis took exactly what our incredibly challenged defense offered him; clear sailing right up the middle. Rodriguez and Smoke got most of the attention, and rightfully so, as they were dominating us. As others have correctly noted, our DBs were out-classed from the injuries that further exposed the lack of depth at that position.

From a coaching/ player standpoint would it be difficult to put in a 4-2-5 package along with our current defensive sets to add some flexibility?

Sounds good to my armchair ears, but we know how that goes....

Roster matters, the most under appreciated aspect of a coach is building a roster to their scheme. Let’s face it they just didn’t do a very good job on defense. They made some adjustments and actively gotten bigger in weight room and recruiting.

High school recruiting on defense was bad in the 1st 2-3 years. There is no sugar coating it. To run Browns defense the back end has to be good it has been bad. Dline has been OK but still not very good. Again to run a 3-4 you better have size and ability up front. The majority of their talent on defense is coming from the portal. Louisville has to develop players or they are going to have to kill in the portal.

If you believe anything the comes out of spring and fall camps they nailed it in the portal. This roster is set up to run a 4-2-5 and it is better equipped to run their 3-4 than it has been. According to coaches they have a lot of flexibility with the back end. They have enough in the DLine to rotate 4. I like the LB’s with Smith and Wilson coming along are athletic and big enough to be be a factor.

We will see. I want to see the younger kids play and make an impact. I want Banks, Craig, Perry, Minkins, Hamilton, Brown, and Sorensen to play and be a factor. We start seeing those guys make plays then I will feel better about where the defense is going.

Dez Tell emergence is most encouraging up front ……..that has been a serious problem ever since CSS arrived; not having the ability to match up against power running offenses.

Reactions: SpotHogCard
Dez Tell emergence is most encouraging up front ……..that has been a serious problem ever since CSS arrived; not having the ability to match up against power running offenses.
I agree, we were undersized at DT last year, it's great to have smaller quick DTs IF they have outstanding technique . We need two or three NGs that draw double and triple teams, without that, imo this defense won't work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT