ADVERTISEMENT

Will Mack strike out on Turner as well?

Amazes me what a few one and dones does for a coach and program. Cal had a few NBA players between his time at Umass and Memphis no more so than Rick did at UK. But Cal gets too UK and has Bledsoe ,Wall ,Cousins he all of sudden the NBA guru year after year with all the players.

That was the one thing i really most disliked about Ricks time here . I truly expected him to have capitalized on NBA level guys year after year. Just never happened on a consistent basis.

Rick didn't have the NIKE/WWW/AAU relationships required to reach into the top 5 player lists.

That first year for Cal did set the tone for their program. It also probably set the bar too high for players following those guys.

Dam shame about Williams and Clark both players were somewhat aloofs in the NBA and still should be playing! Gaines was drafted by the wrong team he really had no chance play behind what they had so the time his 3 year term was up he had no game time to show other teams what he could really do. I listened to an interview he did with Maybin awhile back talking about the politics in the NBA it's about the right timing ,fit ,agent connections and the school does play a part in it, every player does not get a fair shake. Russ ran into these same issues.

Eric Woods spoke of this same thing in the NFL also.

Williams should still be playing somewhere for sure, he rubbed Avery Johnson the wrong way his R year and he got the vibe of being a problem. He did well with the Kings in his second shot but clearly as you say politics set him back. Thought he did okay in Boston too can't remember his time with Houston. And he probably is to blame for some of his failure too. I didn't follow his overseas career not sure how he did, don't really know what he's doing now?

Clark actually got a few chances he played for 6 different franchises and he had a decent reputation it seemed he got credit for being good defensively the guy just couldn't score at the NBA level. He does well overseas. I think to make it anywhere a certain work ethic is required, so it's good to see he's still bouncing the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT