ADVERTISEMENT

Will Mack strike out on Turner as well?

CardsvsCats2019

One-Star Poster
Nov 23, 2019
Kid from Bowling Green who tore it up last season. Has us on his list of like 7 school (with Texas Tech, Missouri and others). Think we could beat out those schools for an in state kid but Rummage was adamant on the radio this morning that it won’t be UofL. He is the type of kid we need but I have no confidence in Mack to close him.

I thought he was from Michigan and Bowling Green college is actually in Ohio I think...so I don't think he's an in state kid, but I could be wrong.

Seems there are a # of guys out there hopefully UofL can get one or two of them. This roster is a real unknown right now. A lot of people fawned over last year's class maybe a few guys from it step up next year with minutes looking available. If any of them can't, I'd imagine they won't be around for a third year.

Reactions: CardsvsCats2019
Kid from Bowling Green who tore it up last season. Has us on his list of like 7 school (with Texas Tech, Missouri and others). Think we could beat out those schools for an in state kid but Rummage was adamant on the radio this morning that it won’t be UofL. He is the type of kid we need but I have no confidence in Mack to close him.
Justin Turner he is from Detroit and U of L is one of 8 schools he is interested in . Longshot

How many times did you see Georgia or Alabama on TV? Yeah I would go there so nobody can watch me play.

I thought he was from Michigan and Bowling Green college is actually in Ohio I think...so I don't think he's an in state kid, but I could be wrong.

Seems there are a # of guys out there hopefully UofL can get one or two of them. This roster is a real unknown right now. A lot of people fawned over last year's class maybe a few guys from it step up next year with minutes looking available. If any of them can't, I'd imagine they won't be around for a third year.

It is an hour and half distance from Detroit to Bowling Green.

How many times did you see Georgia or Alabama on TV? Yeah I would go there so nobody can watch me play.
That didn’t seem to affect Anthony Edwards draft potential or Lewis and Petty Jr from Bama. If you can play doesn’t matter what school you go to. One thing you have to consider, I think Mack has had only 3-4 players go to the NBA in 9 years...

That didn’t seem to affect Anthony Edwards draft potential or Lewis and Petty Jr from Bama. If you can play doesn’t matter what school you go to. One thing you have to consider, I think Mack has had only 3-4 players go to the NBA in 9 years...
@ Xavier . Rick was here 17 years and only had about 13 at most maybe 15 thats pushing it.

Crean has really never had a problem recruiting his issue is coaching. Another big elephant people like to ignore and down play it but these are Nike schools . No matter what they always have acess to the best players on the AAU levels. If your not the blue blood Adidas school Kansas you will have issues with alot of Nike schools for players .

Hell how many times are we now really on main stream tv now . Every since we got to the ACC we seem to be on these regional can't find broadcast alot more . When we were in the lesser conferences we were always on easy to see channels. Proof of that is this board alot of what channel we on ?

Last edited:
@ Xavier . Rick was here 17 years and only had about 13 at most maybe 15 thats pushing it.
But he did have plenty from his time at sUcKs, I believe one of his teams had the most NBA players ever for a college team. He also coached 2 NBA teams, the Knicks and Celtics.

Pitino NBA players at UofL
Gaines, Garcia, T-Will, E5, Jerry Smith, Samardo, Character, Chris Smith, Gourgui, Russ, Terry, Siva, Trezl, Chinanu, Dame Lee, Donovan, Mangok, Spalding, Deng Adel

19 in 17 years. Over 1 played a year.

But he did have plenty from his time at sUcKs, I believe one of his teams had the most NBA players ever for a college team. He also coached 2 NBA teams, the Knicks and Celtics.

Pitino NBA players at UofL
Gaines, Garcia, T-Will, E5, Jerry Smith, Samardo, Character, Chris Smith, Gourgui, Russ, Terry, Siva, Trezl, Chinanu, Dame Lee, Donovan, Mangok, Spalding, Deng Adel

19 in 17 years. Over 1 played a year.
Gaines was a Denny recruit, Character transferred and Jerry who he play for ?

010–2011 Springfield Armor
Oh Your counting Jerrys short summer team play in 2012 with the nets.

Waikato Pistons
2011–2012 Springfield Armor
2012 New Jersey Nets
2012 Springfield Armor
2012–2013 Mapooro Cantù
2013–2014 Tezenis Verona
2014–2015 Maccabi Rishon LeZion
2015–2016 Eisbären Bremerhaven
2016–2017 Samsunspor
2017 Champagne Châlons-Reims
2017–2018 Karesi Spor
2018–present Ifaistos Limnou

Last edited:
And he’s going to have 3-4 in 3 years. Nwora DJ Samuel and potentially Scrubb if he gets in a uniform will all play in the NBA at some point.

And he’s going to have 3-4 in 3 years. Nwora DJ Samuel and potentially Scrubb if he gets in a uniform will all play in the NBA at some point.
So now you’re saying that Mack made him an NBA player. The other guys aren’t there yet and if they did this soon, it’s not because of Mack. Don’t count chickens before they hatch. U of L has just as much influence as Mack does meaning that just being a top program with history and being in a top conference will put you in the discussion.

Waikato Pistons
2012 New Jersey Nets
2012 Springfield Armor
2012–2013 Mapooro Cantù
2013–2014 Tezenis Verona
2016–2017 Samsunspor
2017–2018 Karesi Spor
Then why don’t we open it up to how many players played professionally? Cause isn’t that’s what important? Getting paid to play a game.

That wasn’t the point of the discussion. Please follow along.

That started the entire discussion. Guy claims 2 schools are "leading" - discussion then goes into those schools never being on tv, why would he go there, blah blah blah - then come to find out - Those schools aren't even involved. So now - you can go compare the players and TV schedules of Mizzou, Arkansas, Marquette, Iowa State and Xavier.

Please follow along.

That started the entire discussion. Guy claims 2 schools are "leading" - discussion then goes into those schools never being on tv, why would he go there, blah blah blah - then come to find out - Those schools aren't even involved. So now - you can go compare the players and TV schedules of Mizzou, Arkansas, Marquette, Iowa State and Xavier.

Please follow along.
Wrong the point was why would you go to Alabama or Georgia if you have NBA aspirations when you can get more TV exposure at U of L. The answer is scouts will find you no matter what school you go to and if you’re good enough.

Georgia & Alabama have had so many players go into the NBA you can count them on one hand.

Right @nccardfan, agreed that scouts will sniff talent anywhere. Easiest recent proof of that is Ja Morant. But those specific schools were only being compared in the argument because they were mentioned as the leaders to a specific player we are recruiting. That was the point of my original post. That those schools aren't in the picture as it applies to this recruitment.

So now you’re saying that Mack made him an NBA player. The other guys aren’t there yet and if they did this soon, it’s not because of Mack. Don’t count chickens before they hatch. U of L has just as much influence as Mack does meaning that just being a top program with history and being in a top conference will put you in the discussion.
So you won’t give Mack any credit for the guys he’s putting in the NBA if they leave early? You can’t say “well he only put x amount of players into the NBA at Xavier” then come back and say the guys he puts in the NBA here don’t count as much because it’s at Louisville and we always produce more NBA guys then a school like Xavier. Can’t have it both ways.

So you won’t give Mack any credit for the guys he’s putting in the NBA if they leave early? You can’t say “well he only put x amount of players into the NBA at Xavier” then come back and say the guys he puts in the NBA here don’t count as much because it’s at Louisville and we always produce more NBA guys then a school like Xavier. Can’t have it both ways.
He’ll get credit from me if it happens.

Jordan grew quite a bit as a player under coach Mack. DJ was a way better player this year than he was in high school.

Now, if he can consistently have pro-level guys every year and win games. You need good talent to win games, Rick didn’t always recruit at the highest level during his time, but he did a dang good job of talent identification.

He’ll get credit from me if it happens.

Jordan grew quite a bit as a player under coach Mack. DJ was a way better player this year than he was in high school.

Now, if he can consistently have pro-level guys every year and win games. You need good talent to win games, Rick didn’t always recruit at the highest level during his time, but he did a dang good job of talent identification.
That’s the key. People can frown and be down on this class for now but in 2 years if Traynor and Davis turn out to be really high level players we can go look we might not be getting tons of 5 star level guys but if the staff identifies the right kind of talent it won’t matter.

I'm not sure "how much" credit goes to any coach these days for player development. There's such a low quantity of guys "developing" in college. It's almost like, if a guy spends 3 years in college, maybe he was a bust or something.

He pulled the #6 class last year on Rivals. Are things that bad?

Neither of these teams made the cut for Turner. Mizzou, Xavier, Marquette, Arkansas, Louisville and Iowa State remain.
Prior to this happening is why he xed Bama .

1f3c0.svg

2020 five-star guard Joshua Primo has committed to Alabama. @JoshuaPrimo4

Reactions: Jhectus18
I’ll give more credit for Nwora getting to the NBA to his dad who’s been with him more than any other coach.

I think it is way to early to say Mack is not doing a good job recruiting. He had a good class last year and a good class for next year. There is going to be a lot of people on here eating crow if we make it to the Final Four in the next couple of years.

Waikato Pistons
2012 New Jersey Nets
2012 Springfield Armor
2012–2013 Mapooro Cantù
2013–2014 Tezenis Verona
2016–2017 Samsunspor
2017–2018 Karesi Spor
Watch out or I’ll post you JP Macura’s professional career of 3 games.

There is going to be a lot of people on here eating crow if we make it to the Final Four in the next couple of years.

Johnson
Scrubb (maybe)/Nickleberry or Grad Transfer
Williamson
Withers/Slazinsky or Grad Transfer
Williams

Igiehon, Davis, and Traynor off the bench

Does that look like a lineup that can make a FF? I dont see it.

For fun here’s who I can remember:
Garcia
Samardo Samuals (briefly)
Reece Gaines (Crum recruit)
Terrance Williams (didn’t last long)
Earl Clark (a few seasons)
Siva (drafted but never more than a handful of games)
Russ Smith( handful of NBA games)
Donavan Mitchell (star)

Is this it???

Found this list of former UofL players that played in the NBA or are still playing.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-Coast-Conference/1/Louisville/67/nba-players

Guys that played for Rick...

6 current -
Trez/Dieng/Lee/Mitchell/Spalding/Rozier

13 former -Adel/Caracter/Clark/Gaines/Garcia/Mathiang/Onuaku/Samuels/Siva/C Smith/J Smith/R Smith/Williams
Amazes me what a few one and dones does for a coach and program. Cal had a few NBA players between his time at Umass and Memphis no more so than Rick did at UK. But Cal gets too UK and has Bledsoe ,Wall ,Cousins he all of sudden the NBA guru year after year with all the players.

That was the one thing i really most disliked about Ricks time here . I truly expected him to have capitalized on NBA level guys year after year. Just never happened on a consistent basis.

Found this list of former UofL players that played in the NBA or are still playing.

https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Atlantic-Coast-Conference/1/Louisville/67/nba-players

Guys that played for Rick...

6 current -
Trez/Dieng/Lee/Mitchell/Spalding/Rozier

13 former -Adel/Caracter/Clark/Gaines/Garcia/Mathiang/Onuaku/Samuels/Siva/C Smith/J Smith/R Smith/Williams
Dam shame about Williams and Clark both players were somewhat aloofs in the NBA and still should be playing! Gaines was drafted by the wrong team he really had no chance play behind what they had so the time his 3 year term was up he had no game time to show other teams what he could really do. I listened to an interview he did with Maybin awhile back talking about the politics in the NBA it's about the right timing ,fit ,agent connections and the school does play a part in it, every player does not get a fair shake. Russ ran into these same issues.

Eric Woods spoke of this same thing in the NFL also.

Last edited:
Amazes me what a few one and dones does for a coach and program. Cal had a few NBA players between his time at Umass and Memphis no more so than Rick did at UK. But Cal gets too UK and has Bledsoe ,Wall ,Cousins he all of sudden the NBA guru year after year with all the players.

That was the one thing i really most disliked about Ricks time here . I truly expected him to have capitalized on NBA level guys year after year. Just never happened on a consistent basis.
As a U of L fan, I never gave much thought about the NBA until they finished their Cardinal careers. I wanted a great Cardinal team every year and enjoyed watching them developed as a team. NBA talk is primarily about individuals and is always a distraction.

As a U of L fan, I never gave much thought about the NBA until they finished their Cardinal careers. I wanted a great Cardinal team every year and enjoyed watching them developed as a team. NBA talk is primarily about individuals and is always a distraction.
Thing is if you really want a certain level player . The NBA is all these kids want they are looking at programs and coaches that will get them their the fastest. So it matters now .

ADVERTISEMENT