ADVERTISEMENT

Why take a timeout??

UofLCardfan

One-Star Poster
Dec 17, 2004
Oh man, I really hope coach satt doesn't turn out to have coach stoops type of game management. Why on 4th and 10 would u send ur offense out there to just rub the clock down and call a timeout? We have 2 left with it being a 2 point game and we're on our 3rd string qb. Seemed pretty non sensical to me to call that.

Oh man, I really hope coach satt doesn't turn out to have coach stoops type of game management. Why on 4th and 10 would u send ur offense out there to just rub the clock down and call a timeout? We have 2 left with it being a 2 point game and we're on our 3rd string qb. Seemed pretty non sensical to me to call that.
Should have just took the penalty then punt. I agree it was a bad time to call a TO.

Should have just took the penalty then punt. I agree it was a bad time to call a TO.

I'm just glad that we have a coach that notices tiny details in every facet of the game. He made the best decision he could in the situation that was presented.

Exactly. What difference does a 5 yard penalty make when you are going to punt anyways? That timeout could have been a precious commodity at the end of the game. Luckily, it all worked out. But that called T/O is a real head scratcher.

Looked like he was going to go for it, but couldn't get the play and personnel in in time.he called time and punted' I don't see a problem.

^^^^ What Awstate said, i was listening on the radio on PR described at they thought he was going to go for it assuming if you punt and they fair catch the ball will be at their 25 anyways so you are only gaining 15 yards. and too far to FG try.

but i went back and watched the game, (i was painting my aluminum siding after 60 years and did the old school radio listen outside) and it simply seemed they were too slow to get going and they called timeout to consider things. i think ti was more oh crap let's not waste the opportunity but getting a delay penalty and the timeout preserved the option to still go for it. not perfect, btu i think if you watch the reply everyone was late getting into position and they had no time to process things.

i've seen our coaches make way worse timeout decisions over the last decade that cost us time and other momentum. we still had two left, correct? so no as bad as if were only had one or none. and if that's your complaint about the game, i can live with it. heckuva football game

Reactions: gocds
I think the difference is that if you take the timeout, everybody knows that you’re taking timeout to talk about what to do on the next play. That’s as opposed to taking the penalty, which means you still have to decide whether you’re going for it on 4th and 15 ... and you still have just 40 seconds to decide and get the right personnel on the field.

The first option (calling timeout) is ordered and the decision on what to do is made with everybody over on the sideline, then the correct personnel with the correct play call are sent out onto the field. The second option is a chaotic mess, especially if the coach is still deciding what he wants to do.

And it was a pretty critical juncture in the game, when Coach Satterfield probably wanted to go for it because he wasn’t sure at all whether we would be able to stop BC on the next possession, and he likely wanted to keep his offense on the field to let the defense get more rest.

It’s probably nitpicking, and I like the Mountain Man, but there were a few questionable coaching moments and calls yesterday. It wasn’t as bad as the officiating, because that was awful, but you could definitely see it. We won, so it doesn’t matter. Watch the film, learn from it, and move on.

Looked like he was going to go for it, but couldn't get the play and personnel in in time.he called time and punted' I don't see a problem.
That’s the issue. 4th and 2, I can see going for it but 4th and 10 on your side of the 50 and the score should have been a no brainer. I’m ok with it but like someone said a head scratcher at the least.

The potential problem didn't become a problem because we won. It doesn't matter now, but that timeout could have been needed later. Not being able to get the play and personnel in in time should have made that decision easier. Take the 5 yard penalty, save the timeout and punt. We all make mistakes so I'm not busting on our coach. I love the guy. I'm just playing armchair coach. No big deal.

The potential problem didn't become a problem because we won. It doesn't matter now, but that timeout could have been needed later. Not being able to get the play and personnel in in time should have made that decision easier. Take the 5 yard penalty, save the timeout and punt. We all make mistakes so I'm not busting on our coach. I love the guy. I'm just playing armchair coach. No big deal.
definitely agree, but in college, since first downs stop the clock and a spiked ball may only take two or three seconds after the first down is reset, timeouts do not quite hold as much significance as they do in the pros. so again, no big deal if he took one if it meant he was deciding whether to win the game on a fourth down play or pray his defense would make a play when they haven't made many yet.

definitely agree, but in college, since first downs stop the clock and a spiked ball may only take two or three seconds after the first down is reset, timeouts do not quite hold as much significance as they do in the pros. so again, no big deal if he took one if it meant he was deciding whether to win the game on a fourth down play or pray his defense would make a play when they haven't made many yet.

Except if you are behind and need your timeouts to keep the other team from bleeding clock. 4th and 10 in that situation should have been a no brainer punt. Take the delay of game and save the timeout. Fortunately it didn’t matter.

I’m sure one of our media guys will ask coach what his thought process was there.

Won’t you? ;):p

Except if you are behind and need your timeouts to keep the other team from bleeding clock. 4th and 10 in that situation should have been a no brainer punt. Take the delay of game and save the timeout. Fortunately it didn’t matter.

Except that UofL was ahead by just 2 points and our defense looked tired on the previous BC possession when the Eagles scored a TD by rushing for 75 yards on just 3 plays. So after witnessing that, Coach Satterfield was trying to decide whether or not it was time to go for it at 4th and 10 near midfield.

Eventually he did decide to punt, but BC again took that punt and marched down the field to kick the go ahead field goal.

I think the timeout there reflects a coaching staff that had not yet made up their minds on whether or not to go for it in that situation. Yes, the timeout may have been needed later, and yes, it made sense to punt the ball there, still ahead by 2. But it might be instructive to recall that Coach Satterfield did call for a fake punt down 21 against FSU that sparked a rally by the Cards. He was likely debating whether a similar play was called for in that situation. And there’s just no way to decide all of that without taking a timeout there.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT