ADVERTISEMENT

Why go man?

ShortCreek

Three-Star Poster
Jul 17, 2008
We couldn't guard them and we were up on the scoreboard, why go man? And why stick with it?

Simple, youth was not our ally today. It was going to be a repeat of the 1st half at Pitt. Players out of position running all over the place. Adel hasn't played enough to know the defense.

Because of the 3's. It worked for the most part. Today, ironically, our offense let us down. We played well enough defensively to win.

BTW, Miami is simply really, really good. We shot 48% from the field against a terrific defense. Had we played the last 4 minutes the way we played the first 36, we would have won by 8. We had all sorts of time to pound it down into the middle and we got caught playing hero ball.

Simple, youth was not our ally today. It was going to be a repeat of the 1st half at Pitt. Players out of position running all over the place. Adel hasn't played enough to know the defense.
I don't think our defense is what beat us down the stretch - too many bad/empty possessions when it counted. Whether they went in or not (and they did not) too many forced shots outside of the offensive sets that had brought us to that point and, put us in a position to win.

I was simply explaining why we got out of the zone. The reason we got beat was empty possessions down the stretch because as another poster has mentioned, too much dribbling around and then settling for jump or contested shots. For some reason we decided to let Lewis take over instead of either Q or Lee, but neither one of them seem willing to take charge.

Miami shot 80% for most of the first half. I remember looking up after watching them throw crap in from everywhere, amazed we were within 2 points, lol. Our first half offense was the best half of this season. Miami adapted and Rick sort of quit coaching to give Trey and Lee their face time. No Deng ruins our man to man and Miami takes advantage of our switching, putting Lee on Angel. That is disaster and Angel's eyes just lit up. Great coaching on their part - also to front Nanu. Guards disinterested in the game plan suddenly become game winners all on their own, the reversion to mid major stardom.

Not going to spend time nagging. The magic of what Lewis and Lee did this season happened before the first regular season game. They acted as emotional cushions and leaders for an amazingly young ball club. We owe them a debt of gratitude for that and I believe Rick is sort of rewarding them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT