ADVERTISEMENT

Why fire Jurich?

Guy Gadbois

1250+
Gold Member
Oct 4, 2013
I understand the firing of Pitino, although, I feel it was even premature. But I just don't get firing Jurich. I have no confidence in interim President, Dr. Postel, in guiding us in the right direction here either. The guy is a freaking UK man for pete's sake.

I understand the firing of Pitino, although, I feel it was even premature. But I just don't get firing Jurich. I have no confidence in interim President, Dr. Postel, in guiding us in the right direction here either. The guy is a freaking UK man for pete's sake.

Man I couldn’t agree with you more. That combined with the moronic BOT were screwed. Jurich was our only loyal guy. These people that want him gone need to look at the big picture. He’s had trouble with one program and only one and that’s the BB program. Every other program is running smooth. Postel used this to get rid of Jurich because they didn’t see eye to eye. Figure that.

Reactions: Guy Gadbois
I hope and pray that our coaches from all sports lobby to keep TJ. I would hope major donors would join them.

I do hope Jurich stays but a part of me would be scared if he did. If we hire Klein then everything will be all good in my opinion.

Reactions: JPFisher
Not that long ago, under the umbrella of cost savings, a proposal was made to group all of the state schools under the "University of Kentucky". You would have the UK at Lexington, UK at Louisville, UK at Bowlingreen and so on. The scary thing is that it actually had traction until people here in Louisville put an end to any such thing occurring without a major legal battle.

This group of leaders doesn't give me a good feeling at all.

Not that long ago, under the umbrella of cost savings, a proposal was made to group all of the state schools under the "University of Kentucky". You would have the UK at Lexington, UK at Louisville, UK at Bowlingreen and so on. The scary thing is that it actually had traction until people here in Louisville put an end to any such thing occurring without a major legal battle.

This group of leaders doesn't give me a good feeling at all.

I have no recollection of that at all. Link?

I believe it's a culture thing. Jurich was tolerant of a head coach leading a scandal plagued program.

Last edited:
There never was a "written story" on this that I'm aware of (I wish there was). It was a discussion in Frankfort and other venues regarding how other states reduce multiplicity in their states schools to control cost.

Someone posted on one of these message boards the same thing.

I heard about it on the radio first, but could never find anything else other than it was a topic in discussion in the state legislature.

It's a topic that comes up from time to time control the cost of higher education.

I don't like nor do I like it when it's brought up in Frankfort as a "cost control" measure either.

TJ was told to fire RP, wouldnt do it and was temporarily relieved of duty. The BoT will decide later if TJ should remain. He is on paid leave right now. RP is gone [unpaid leave means you are fired]

Reactions: jts_cards
TJ was told to fire RP, wouldnt do it and was temporarily relieved of duty. The BoT will decide later if TJ should remain. He is on paid leave right now. RP is gone [unpaid leave means you are fired]
Pretty sure that story has been debunked by all parties.

Reactions: Steelers2012
My first reaction was that Jurich had to go. But the more I think about it the more I think he should be retained. No one can question what he has accomplished here. As an earlier post noted every other program is run cleanly. Petrino's issues happened at another school.

With that said I doubt the board will retain him. The controversy surrounding his payments from the Foundation will push the board to terminate his contract.

One of the gorillas in the room is $44 million on Pitino's contract. There could be a lot of money paid out. This could get hairy if Pitino and Jurich are negligent. Further complications could happen if the FBI gets involved with Pitino and Jurich or if there are lawsuits.

The question is....what will happen to Bob Valvono if Jurich is retained? He was basically saying what a huge Pr8ck and bully Jurich was yesterday.

The question is....what will happen to Bob Valvono if Jurich is retained? He was basically saying what a huge Pr8ck and bully Jurich was yesterday.
Why does that even matter? Who the hell is Bob Valvano in the first place? He doesn't have any real ties to UofL. His brother (may he rest in peace) is the only reason he has any type of career in sports in the first place. He wasn't good enough to make it as a player or coach so he went in to broadcasting. I personally don't give a damn what Bob Valvano says or thinks. He's nothing to L1C4. He's not family.

Why does that even matter? Who the hell is Bob Valvano in the first place? He doesn't have any real ties to UofL. His brother (may he rest in peace) is the only reason he has any type of career in sports in the first place. He wasn't good enough to make it as a player or coach so he went in to broadcasting. I personally don't give a damn what Bob Valvano says or thinks. He's nothing to L1C4. He's not family.
LOL ..no hes not and neither are you or I family lol

I dont give a rats ass what happens with him either. It was just funny how bold some people got yesterday and its not even certain that Jurich is gone. I hope hes not nor shouldnt be after sleeping on it. So i was wondering what he will say or do when and or if Jurich is reinstated? It will be funny if it happens

Just a conversation piece....calm down buddy. I am a UofL fan but I have always thought that L1c4 crap is ridiculous along with bbn or any other stupid acronym. They sound kind of infantile.

side note...just because someone is a UofL fan or "l1c4" does not make them my family...quite franky I have a met a ton of UofL fans that I wouldn't even let in my house.

Keep in mind...the same sleez bag that gave us a championship and had it taken away and has gotten us on probation and God knows what else came up with that lame L1C4 crap!

Reactions: Cue Card
Wonder what Jurich did to the condescending prick Valvano.

I don’t really care one way or the other, but I am curious as to why the hate for Valvano? I don’t listen to him much but always thought he seemed supportive of the program. I assume I’m missing something?

I don’t really care one way or the other, but I am curious as to why the hate for Valvano? I don’t listen to him much but always thought he seemed supportive of the program. I assume I’m missing something?
Yea.....he sounds like a nice guy I guess but ive never met him. I think he would do anything for the University.

LOL ..no hes not and neither are you or I family lol

I dont give a rats ass what happens with him either. It was just funny how bold some people got yesterday and its not even certain that Jurich is gone. I hope hes not nor shouldnt be after sleeping on it. So i was wondering what he will say or do when and or if Jurich is reinstated? It will be funny if it happens

Just a conversation piece....calm down buddy. I am a UofL fan but I have always thought that L1c4 crap is ridiculous along with bbn or any other stupid acronym. They sound kind of infantile.

side note...just because someone is a UofL fan or "l1c4" does not make them my family...quite franky I have a met a ton of UofL fans that I wouldn't even let in my house.

Keep in mind...the same sleez bag that gave us a championship and had it taken away and has gotten us on probation and God knows what else came up with that lame L1C4 crap!
Sorry, I wasn't busting on you personally. Just venting and trying not to explode in a complete angry meltdown - snowflake style.

I consider anyone who ever went to UofL as family. If that's you then you know it. If it's not, you know that too.

Reactions: tluck28
Sorry, I wasn't busting on you personally. Just venting and trying not to explode in a complete angry meltdown - snowflake style.

I consider anyone who ever went to UofL as family. If that's you then you know it. If it's not, you know that too.
Ill laugh my ass off if Jurich is reinstated and I pray that he is. There is no defending Pitino however, Im glad that guy is gone. There are even reports out now that he may have actually had a hand in the funneling of the money.

If Jurich is retained, our program will indeed have a few set backs for a few years but we will recover very quickly.

One of the gorillas in the room is $44 million on Pitino's contract. There could be a lot of money paid out. This could get hairy if Pitino and Jurich are negligent. Further complications could happen if the FBI gets involved with Pitino and Jurich or if there are lawsuits.

And who wrote that one sided contract foe Pitino? Tom Jurich did!

Fake news...

So you seriously believe it's possible Jurich will be retained? Postel's actions were unanimously supported by the BOT. Postel all but said "we are cleaning house." Seems pretty cut and dried to me, but what do I know. Hopefully you're right.

Jurich hitched his wagon to Rick. He took up for him after the blackblackmail case then after the stripper stuff. Clearly there was a pattern and Jurich has to go for not staying on top of someone that had a "record". Hard to keep him. The NCAA will review it as not really fixing the problem if the AD who is the ultimate boss for Rick stays around. Jurich downfall is that he let his coach do what he wanted and it burned him.

So you seriously believe it's possible Jurich will be retained? Postel's actions were unanimously supported by the BOT. Postel all but said "we are cleaning house." Seems pretty cut and dried to me, but what do I know. Hopefully you're right.
Postel’s actions were at the direction of the BoT - or more specifically - David Grissom, who by the way violated Kentucky’s open meetings / records law by calling all other board members on the phone specifically to tell them what was going to happen.

I’m saying that if Jurich needs to go, then by the same standard both postel and Grissom should follow him out the door.

Grissom violating open meetings law doesn't have anything to do with Jurich being retained. His "firing" was not a BOT action.

This is the reason why.

BOTS:
Brian Cromer graduated in 1990 from the University of Kentucky College of Law
Ms. Bonita Black holds a Bachelor degree from the University of Kentucky
In 2008, William Armstrong received an MS in Library and Information Science from the University of Kentucky

Combined with our egotist Interim president, Postel, who would love to see that interim label removed, a bunch of members without any affiliation to UofL making a name for themselves, and Papa John.

Do you truly believe these people care about UofL athletics or even the University? I know these types of people too well. Under their facade, they are laughing at our misery.

We need to bring back Jurich. Period. He is the only one who can help mitigate this mess.

Grissom violating open meetings law doesn't have anything to do with Jurich being retained. His "firing" was not a BOT action.
Ok - you keep telling yourself that. Also, I didn’t say violation of the open meetings law had anything to do with Jurich’s firing - other than it was Grissom individually calling other board members to tell them exactly what he had decided. I bet postel wasn’t even his first call...

Ok - you keep telling yourself that. Also, I didn’t say violation of the open meetings law had anything to do with Jurich’s firing - other than it was Grissom individually calling other board members to tell them exactly what he had decided. I bet postel wasn’t even his first call...

I get it, but my concern is the possibility of Jurich ultimately being retained. I don't understand how anything you've said above affects that.

I get it, but my concern is the possibility of Jurich ultimately being retained. I don't understand how anything you've said above affects that.
I don’t know that it does, I’m simply pointing out that by the same standard that they would use to justify firing TJ, they should resign themselves.

Reactions: JohnCard28
He shouldn't be. He can't be. He won't be. Not in my opinion. Too much bad stuff has happened. He has to go right along with coach Pitino and the entire staff. Nobody should be retained. It'll hurt. It'll hurt a lot, but at this point I don't see any other option.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT