ADVERTISEMENT

Whose advantage UK or UL

JonK65

No-Ranking Prospect
Nov 9, 2004
Who has the advantage going into next weeks game. UK for beating up on a cupcake team or UL playing a worthy opponent albeit we played terribly!
I'd like to think advantage UL but not sure.

If we kick off to start the game, WE have the advantage. ;)

@RealCardGame: Over their last 30 games, Louisville is 12-0 when they kickoff first and 9-9 when they receive first.

Last edited:
I watched the bulk of the UK game this evening. I say this with absolutely no hyperbole or exaggeration....Charlotte is easily one of the 3 worst teams I've ever watched play. I saw nothing from their passing game that would give us issues. Check Barker's stats from that game...I believe he was 16/29 and his average completion was at 4.4 yards.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
We UK are terrible, if we win it will be a miracle. Charlotte is the worst team in the FBS know doubt in my mind. Trinity could give them a good game most years lol

Having watched both teams this year, and both games today, UofL should be favored by a couple of TD's. UK has an occasionally decent run game but nothing that UofL can't weather. UK has an occasionally decent pass rush but not quite enough even for UofL's offensive line. Expect that Jackson will get the start for UofL and UK hasn't been able to stop a running QB all year. Expect the Baker will get the start for UK and he obviously hasn't had a chance to be successful against a quality defense. Today was fool's gold for UK and a tough loss against a very good team for UofL. If the best game by UK is played against the worst game by UofL, I'd call it a toss up. If both teams play up to par, then UofL with a significant lead going into the 4th quarter. It is just really hard to see a UK win this year, especially since UofL will have the coaches' attention all week to bounce back from that loss.
But who knows until they play it.

Reactions: Steelers2012
I've watched UK play in most or at least parts of the South Carolina, Florida, Missouri, EKY, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia and Charlotte and I've watched nearly all of Louisville's games this year.

UL is the more talented, better coached and overall better team...really, across all the positions....BUT...UL isn't good enough and UK isn't bad enough for UL to sleepwalk through this game or for them to play sloppy, terrible football and still get out of Lexington with a win. UL will have to play a decent game to beat UK. Obviously not a perfect game but they can't make stupid mistakes for 60 minutes and turn the ball over 3 times either.

Based on what I've seen from both teams this year as long as UL doesn't play horrible they should get out of Lexington with a 10-14 point win.

I don't think UK or their fans can learn anything from tonights game BUT I will say that with the dark cloud thats been circling the program, the disorganization, the embarrassing loss to Vandy, the 3 straight blow outs before that, the whole QB controversy and everything that's went on with the program over the last few weeks that UK could have came into this game and sleepwalked their way to a 3 touchdown win and they didn't...(but that was more as the result of Charlotte being so terrible because they had 3 TD runs of 47 yards or longer)

Two average to bad teams playing to go to a bad bowl I am having a hard time getting excited about this one. Louisville has played awful on the road this year. Louisville defense for whatever reason has extended periods of terrible play. Louisville offense line is awful. I see it being a highly competitive game like last year.

We can try to figure this out but it's a rivalry game. The records, the final scores, the wins, the losses, the SEASON can be tossed out with the bath water. None of it matters. It's a rivalry game. Expect the unexpected.

UofL should be about a 7 point favorite from what I've seen. Last year UK outperformed expectations. I think UofL will be more "ready" for the game than they were last year.

I am liking UK's chances on defense more and more as the season moves along. Unfortunately, I'm liking our chances on offense less and less.

Will probably come down to turnovers and big plays. Have to like the Cards in a game like that.

I think UL is better and that pisses me off because I don't even think UL is good. We just flat out suck

It all depends on which UofL team shows up next Saturday. The team I saw in the first half against Pitt made me want to vomit.

Reactions: nccardfan
Two average to bad teams playing to go to a bad bowl I am having a hard time getting excited about this one. Louisville has played awful on the road this year. Louisville defense for whatever reason has extended periods of terrible play. Louisville offense line is awful. I see it being a highly competitive game like last year.

Got to agree....Louisville has been BAD this year...was hoping for a 8-4/9-3 season and on "Paper" that should have been the record...but as bad as the OL has been the defense has been BAD-(and I don't care if they are currently in the Top 20 Nationally). I seen good defenses from 2010 to 2014 and this group is not even close to those guys...undisciplined...don't tackle and generally SOFT...Wiggins and JHC under Strong/Bedford would not even be on the field-(the way they avoid contact).

Sorry for the rant!!!

The bottom line is UK will have no chance sustaining anything offensively. UL will live in their backfield and therefore UK will not be able to run the football. Barker will be forced to throw the ball and will be under constant pressure. The UK offense is painful to watch, I will say 27-17 Cards.

Early Vegas line has the Cards by 3......one thing both teams have in common is that a crummy Auburn team hurt both teams. The Cards could be 7-4 and UK 6-5. I agree with Cue Card, throw out the record books with this rivalry game.

Both teams are playing a lot of young players and both coaching staffs have not lived up to the fan bases expectations. A lot on the line.

UL has been the better team this year. Both have played poorly at times. Both coaches have made mistakes, Stoops more so. Its hard to predict this game. It wouldn't surprise me to see a 14-17 point victory in this one. I've gone from thinking the cats win this game easily to thinking the cats may need to get lucky to win. Its been another disappointing 2nd half of the season.

Reactions: American Male
Not lately. Poor back to back performances by the defense has me concerned. Based on watching UK against Charlotte, here is my take. If we cannot contain or stop Boom, we may have issues. He was their offense. They do have a few talented wideouts aw well. Weaknesses - their Oline seems to be as bad as ours. Charlotte did get to the QB early for a few sacks. Hopefully grantham learned that you rush one more than they have to block. Charlottes secondary was content to try to break up passes. An SEC secondary would have had at least 2 pick sixes. Their kicking game is not so good, their punter looks like a high school player and their FG kickers range is about 40-45 yds at best. Their defensive front four are slow. Radcliff needs to have a good day. UK was very susceptible to the screen play, which Charlotte got some big plays early.

But it is a rivalry game and UK has home field advantage. I believe that's what inevitably helped us win last year.

Go Cards!

PS Barker is not as mobile or as tough to bring down as Towles.

Reactions: American Male
The ONLY advantage UK has is The Litter-Box...And in this H2H Series...That's NOT ANY!!!

Louisville CONTINUES to be beat on long pass plays...Then they give up big runs because they try to adjust to it!!!

11 games into the season and Louisville STILL has NUMEROUS False Starts, and STUPID Personal Foul Penalities on BOTH sides of the ball...Thats due to a lack of Discipline...And thats On the Coaches!!!

TG is a STUBBORN $#IT when it comes to his defensive schems, and his adjustments are ALWAYS LATE and PI$$ POUR!!!

BP has ZERO Idea what offense he wants to run...Power Spread or Read Option...NEVER thought I'd see the day when he had TOO Much Raw Talent in BOTH areas that he DIDN'T KNOW which system to run, or how to use it!!!

I have NO Idea what to expect in this game...Louisville could win by 30+, or they could get beat by 14+...Neither team is Top 50 material...Pre Season I thought Louisville was EASY Top 15-20...MAN...Was I WRONG!!!

To pick a winner...At this point...Who REALLY Cares...Detroit, New York, Memphis etc...SUCK!!!

:cool:

Exactly...and that includes Petrino...just that Grantham been even worse...
That's because the UofL run game is not what Petrino is used to, not very good. If UofL gets that run game going, which I believe they will UK will be in for a long day with Petrino calling plays and the middle of the field will be open for whoever to catch and run.

Anytime you are coming off a game where you gained -1 total yards rushing and allowed 244 then there is reason for concern unless you are playing Chatlotte.

I know UK is not Pitt but our guys need to show up to play this week. I'm not sure I trust them to do that but I am hopeful. Better start by gang tackling and flying to the ball carrier.

If they do I think we win by 2 TDs.

Anytime you are coming off a game where you gained -1 total yards rushing and allowed 244 then there is reason for concern unless you are playing Chatlotte.

I know UK is not Pitt but our guys need to show up to play this week. I'm not sure I trust them to do that but I am hopeful.

If they don't UofK wins by 2 TD's.

Reactions: Louisvillian

I know UK is not Pitt but our guys need to show up to play this week. I'm not sure I trust them to do that but I am hopeful. Better start by gang tackling and flying to the ball carrier.

I've been telling my UL and UK friends this all weekend. UK fans seem too defeated and UL fans seem way too confident. Granted I think UL should and will win on Saturday...but this team has been maddening to watch all year and even though UK sucks...they don't suck enough to have no shot at winning this game and even though UL has the edge in nearly every aspect of the game of Saturday they've proven time and time and again that they can't get out of their own way at times.

Basically...UL isn't good enough to jack around, play a half assed football game and turn the ball over 3 times and still walk out of Lexington with a win. UL doesn't need to play perfect but they need to play a decent game to win on Saturday.

I watched the bulk of the UK game this evening. I say this with absolutely no hyperbole or exaggeration....Charlotte is easily one of the 3 worst teams I've ever watched play. I saw nothing from their passing game that would give us issues. Check Barker's stats from that game...I believe he was 16/29 and his average completion was at 4.4 yards.
Did you see the weather?! Uh, no one is throwing more than that in that game, especially when your RBs get over 400yds. No need to pass, so not close to a fair barometer to what Barker can do. But, I like that he's being looked over, hopefully UofL is doing the same thing.

If we kick off to start the game, WE have the advantage. ;)

@RealCardGame: Over their last 30 games, Louisville is 12-0 when they kickoff first and 9-9 when they receive first.
That is a very interesting stat that I'm having trouble making sense of other than the fact that we have had some really good defenses over those 30 games that maybe have stopped the opponent consistently on that 1st drive.

Even that doesn't really explain it. Maybe we just happened to play mostly average or bad teams that took the ball first. Weird.

Did you see the weather?! Uh, no one is throwing more than that in that game, especially when your RBs get over 400yds. No need to pass, so not close to a fair barometer to what Barker can do. But, I like that he's being looked over, hopefully UofL is doing the same thing.
OVer looked a scrub like pantywaist Barker?

The ONLY advantage UK has is The Litter-Box...And in this H2H Series...That's NOT ANY!!!

Louisville CONTINUES to be beat on long pass plays...Then they give up big runs because they try to adjust to it!!!

11 games into the season and Louisville STILL has NUMEROUS False Starts, and STUPID Personal Foul Penalities on BOTH sides of the ball...Thats due to a lack of Discipline...And thats On the Coaches!!!

TG is a STUBBORN $#IT when it comes to his defensive schems, and his adjustments are ALWAYS LATE and PI$$ POUR!!!

BP has ZERO Idea what offense he wants to run...Power Spread or Read Option...NEVER thought I'd see the day when he had TOO Much Raw Talent in BOTH areas that he DIDN'T KNOW which system to run, or how to use it!!!

I have NO Idea what to expect in this game...Louisville could win by 30+, or they could get beat by 14+...Neither team is Top 50 material...Pre Season I thought Louisville was EASY Top 15-20...MAN...Was I WRONG!!!

To pick a winner...At this point...Who REALLY Cares...Detroit, New York, Memphis etc...SUCK!!!

:cool:
Uofl lost 10 starters to the NFL.....

There is one team that has the emotional edge that is Kentucky. Stoops honeymoon is over and next year their schedule isn't going to be easy. This game can turn his whole outlook around for the off season. There is a good chance they won't go bowling next year either. He can't afford to lose this game and feel good about going into next year. UK will play with an edge in this game that they probably have never played with. They will try everything they can to win that game.

My only concern is defensively is will UK stick with their running game if so Louisville will have some issues stopping them. They have been a pretty good running team in spurts. They can't let Williams break off huge gains. They have to force them to drive the ball down the field. They have to take away the running game early. UK will try to get the ball out of Barkers hands pretty quick in the passing game. UK has really struggled in games that they couldn't run the ball. The Louisville secondary matches up fine on the outside but the slot is a problem. Johnson for UK is a great slot receiver and I don't like him matched up with Reeve or Clemons.

Offensively, Louisville is going to see UK blitz and attack the line of scrimmage. My guess is UK will probably blitz more than they have all year. It is really polar opposites when compare Pitt vs UK. Pitt is ranked in the Top 10 in sacks and UK is ranked 110+. Same with tackles for loss. The Pitt game really isn't relevant because they have a much better defensive team than UK. UK hasn't been able to generate any rush all year. Syracuse defensively appears to be the most comparable team to UK. That bodes well for Louisville.

I think Louisville would be them soundly at home but on the road that is another story considering what is at stake for the UK staff.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
There is one team that has the emotional edge that is Kentucky. Stoops honeymoon is over and next year their schedule isn't going to be easy. This game can turn his whole outlook around for the off season. There is a good chance they won't go bowling next year either. He can't afford to lose this game and feel good about going into next year. UK will play with an edge in this game that they probably have never played with. They will try everything they can to win that game.

My only concern is defensively is will UK stick with their running game if so Louisville will have some issues stopping them. They have been a pretty good running team in spurts. They can't let Williams break off huge gains. They have to force them to drive the ball down the field. They have to take away the running game early. UK will try to get the ball out of Barkers hands pretty quick in the passing game. UK has really struggled in games that they couldn't run the ball. The Louisville secondary matches up fine on the outside but the slot is a problem. Johnson for UK is a great slot receiver and I don't like him matched up with Reeve or Clemons.

Offensively, Louisville is going to see UK blitz and attack the line of scrimmage. My guess is UK will probably blitz more than they have all year. It is really polar opposites when compare Pitt vs UK. Pitt is ranked in the Top 10 in sacks and UK is ranked 110+. Same with tackles for loss. The Pitt game really isn't relevant because they have a much better defensive team than UK. UK hasn't been able to generate any rush all year. Syracuse defensively appears to be the most comparable team to UK. That bodes well for Louisville.

I think Louisville would be them soundly at home but on the road that is another story considering what is at stake for the UK staff.

Pretty much my take on this game and it doesnt help we really can't improve our Bowl slot...we should win and i am picking us 28-24 over Kentucky but this is a Toss Up this year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT