ADVERTISEMENT

Who wants to bet...

If we’d had the playoff last year, there would have been 4 teams with 2 losses in the playoffs as at large teams: Oregon, Penn State, Missouri and Mississippi.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Herbstreit said last night there were still about 30 teams still in play for the CFP (unfortunately we're not one of them). Things will eventually work themselves out but like every year, there will be some teams unhappy or disappointed who think they are deserving. Not sure we solved anything but hopefully I'm wrong and eventually we benefit by the system.

Long way to go. VT could play for the ACC title. Vandy could play for the SEC title. IU could play for the Big Ten title. Scheduling plays a role in these bigger leagues. Louisville benefited last year. They aren’t benefiting this year but boy they had a golden opportunity and didn’t take advantage.

It is what it is your team has to win games. It really is that simple.

If we’d had the playoff last year, there would have been 4 teams with 2 losses in the playoffs as at large teams: Oregon, Penn State, Missouri and Mississippi.
You don’t know that. You have to factor in what I stated above, which obviously is above your comprehension. I’ll break it down and simplify for you. 4 teams automatically in the playoffs, that leaves 8 open spots. 1 team, the highest ranked P4 team automatically in the playoffs, that leaves 7 open spots. ND in the playoffs, because we know they will put them in it if all possible, that leaves 6 open spots….6!

You named 4 two loss teams you said would have gotten in last year’s playoffs with only 6 slots available. I’m calling bs on that assumption.

You don’t know that. You have to factor in what I stated above, which obviously is above your comprehension. I’ll break it down and simplify for you. 4 teams automatically in the playoffs, that leaves 8 open spots. 1 team, the highest ranked P4 team automatically in the playoffs, that leaves 7 open spots. ND in the playoffs, because we know they will put them in it if all possible, that leaves 6 open spots….6!

You named 4 two loss teams you said would have gotten in last year’s playoffs with only 6 slots available. I’m calling bs on that assumption.
"which obviously is above your comprehension. I’ll break it down and simplify for you."

I know Pushup can speak for himself, but quit being so condesending against everyone that doesn't share your opinions. We're are all supposed to be U of L fans.

"which obviously is above your comprehension. I’ll break it down and simplify for you."

I know Pushup can speak for himself, but quit being so condesending against everyone that doesn't share your opinions. We're are all supposed to be U of L fans.
How hard is it to understand? 4 + 1 + ND.

That leaves 6 teams to make 12.

So he’s saying they are just going to grab 2 loss teams from the SEC to fill out those 6?

I agree the SEC will mostly get 4 or 5 teams in because of ESPN’s love for them, who by the way, make all the decisions on College Football today. But, there are some conference championship game runner up teams who might have something to say about that who only have 1 loss.

I do know that because the CFP rankings from Dec 3, 2023 are online for anyone to see. Liberty would have gotten in as seed 12, and the teams I mentioned were non-champions who were ranked 7-11.

I do know that because the CFP rankings from Dec 3, 2023 are online for anyone to see. Liberty would have gotten in as seed 12, and the teams I mentioned were non-champions who were ranked 7-11.
The only problem with your assumption is last year wasn’t a 12 team playoff so they couldn’t care less how teams after #4 in the rankings played out. If it had been a 12 team playoff last year I’m willing to bet the rankings you show would be different. It’s easy to see how they are manipulating them this year to keep the 2 conferences that want representing the playoffs this year.

The only problem with your assumption is last year wasn’t a 12 team playoff so they couldn’t care less how teams after #4 in the rankings played out. If it had been a 12 team playoff last year I’m willing to bet the rankings you show would be different. It’s easy to see how they are manipulating them this year to keep the 2 conferences that want representing the playoffs this year.

The CFP selection committee won’t release their first rankings until November 5th. You’re looking at AP and Coaches polls which are not used to select the playoff teams.

I have very little doubt that multiple 2-loss teams will make the playoffs this year.

Long way to go. VT could play for the ACC title. Vandy could play for the SEC title. IU could play for the Big Ten title. Scheduling plays a role in these bigger leagues. Louisville benefited last year. They aren’t benefiting this year but boy they had a golden opportunity and didn’t take advantage.

It is what it is your team has to win games. It really is that simple.
Simple yes. Easy? No.

The CFP selection committee won’t release their first rankings until November 5th. You’re looking at AP and Coaches polls which are not used to select the playoff teams.

I have very little doubt that multiple 2-loss teams will make the playoffs this year.
The fact the a committee picks the playoff teams makes the whole system worthless.

Reactions: UofLouisville
IU is
Simple yes. Easy? No.
It is incredibly hard. Louisville is basically 3 -4 plays from being undefeated. The margin for error is slim for everyone. Others have more cushion than others.

Mark Stoops said it best they have to play pretty much flawless to win. That just isn’t reasonable to expect. Same goes for Louisville. They aren’t likely to play flawless so when officials make game altering calls that is tough to overcome. Others are better equipped to overcome.

The fact the a committee picks the playoff teams makes the whole system worthless.

Well, the SEC and Big Ten have a solution for that .. they just want 4 automatic qualifying spots each, then the rest of the teams in the playoffs can be conference champions or Notre Dame if they are at least 10-2….

Sounds like the ultimate in crap to me, but it probably sounds great to SEC and Big Ten fans….

No, I know who and what the selection committee is but again they couldn’t care less last year because the narrative was 4 teams. Now the narrative stretches to 12 teams. Do you see what I’m saying? I don’t disagree that there will be two 2 loss teams in the CFP but they should have gotten the 2nd loss in their conference championship. The math then is ND, P4 plus 8 teams from the 4 conference championships, plus 2 wildcard teams. I agree with you the 2 wildcard will probably be from the SEC and possibly with 3 losses. Anything less then that is screwing the ACC and Big 12 are being screwed.

No, I know who and what the selection committee is but again they couldn’t care less last year because the narrative was 4 teams. Now the narrative stretches to 12 teams. Do you see what I’m saying? I don’t disagree that there will be two 2 loss teams in the CFP but they should have gotten the 2nd loss in their conference championship. The math then is ND, P4 plus 8 teams from the 4 conference championships, plus 2 wildcard teams. I agree with you the 2 wildcard will probably be from the SEC and possibly with 3 losses. Anything less then that is screwing the ACC and Big 12 are being screwed.

We’re pretty much on the same side in this argument…

Even when it “didn’t matter”, the top 11 teams included 3 SEC at large teams (Georgia, Missouri and Ole Miss), 2 Big Ten at large teams (Ohio State and Penn State) and one PAC-12 team (Oregon). It kind of did matter because of the NY6 Bowl games, but I get your point that it didn’t matter as much as it does now that those are playoff spots….

With Texas now an SEC team, the committee is going to favor and Oregon and Washington in the Big Ten, the committee is going to consider both of those conferences even stronger, and will favor those teams accordingly.

Sure, that’s unfair, but the SEC and Big Ten are calling the shots in this playoff - that’s well-documented. If you’re in the ACC and Big 12, you’d better win the conference - otherwise, you’re almost certainly going to be screwed.

Reactions: AnotherCFD
My coach always told us to handle the things we could control. Yeah there has been bad calls but I also recall dumb unsportsmanlike calls that have negated big gains that weren't in question. You take away alot of the lack of focus and self inflicted errors and that also could be the difference in these games. Refs aren't the sole reason for where this team is.

Reactions: rh62531
No he didn't but it holds true no matter what sport or level of that sport you play. We have screwed up plenty without the refs help in determining the win/loss column for the cards. Blaming the refs, no matter the justification is weak sauce. Particularly if your team has a habit of stepping on their own johnson more often than not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT