ADVERTISEMENT

Who Plays in the Governor's Cup?...

Look it's a rivalry, an in-state rivalry that nobody outside KY cares about. Although we tend to recruit outside KY there are always local kids we like to get. We have taken a big step in football but until we beat the likes of Clemson, FSU, Virginia Tech, Miami on a consistent basis, we act like UK fans who think we are so much better and look down on them. The answer is for them to become more competitive. It is probably not more than a simple head coach hire (a crapthorpe or a calamari) that could change things. So what you are saying is that we would rather play Charlotte, a team that has only played 2 years in the FCS over UK. I bought 2 tickets for $40 each at the 35 yard line lower deck for Thursday's game. I'm not sure I could do the same for The UK game.

So Tennessee has shown a strong interest in playing us? Didn't realize that. Do you have a link that shows where they are interested? Anyways I thought your original point was that we should sub out UK for WKU.

As for basketball, the ratings speak for themselves. Unfortunately you have no data to back your argument, only your own rhetoric.
Well, let's first see if the ACC and SEC would rather have a football match-up of Tennessee and Louisville on rivalry weekend. At the same same time, dummy down LPT's schedule where the SEC might have another bowl qualifier. And maybe allow Vandy to finish more seasons with a "W". (That is, everyone wins...)

As for the Toppers and the slapd!cks, we should be regularly playing whichever program is better. For a number of years now--sound like a trend?--there's no question which team that is.

Only a fool worries about regular season college basketball TV ratings. I hope the ACC soon adds Texas for all sports besides football, and goes to a full round-robin basketball schedule of 30 games. And no more godawful OOC games.

LPT Football: We can play another FCS school!...

Last edited:
Someone said "outside of Ky, a UL/WKU game has no interest". Newsflash!!! Neither does the UL/uk game. The nation knows we will/should kick their ass. Everybody else does. uk is not considered a worthy FB opponent by anybody...
Sorry, Rollem. I tried, but Rivals won't let me 'like' a post more than once.

LPT Football: No one respects us but stubborn, old U of L fans...

The answer is for them to become more competitive. It is probably not more than a simple head coach hire (a crapthorpe or a calamari) that could change things.

uk has been hiring HFB coaches for 60 years. Some were proven winners elsewhere. Jerry Claiborne was going to save the program. NOTHING in his resume said he might fail at uk. He won at Maryland and VT.

But he failed. As did Bill Curry

Hell, they fired Blanton Collier while he had a winning record! (The last time that happened for sure:p) That's a real dedication to winning!!

I won't put all the data out here again, but uk's FB woes are self inflicted starting with Adolf Rupp getting rid of the Bear. The uk BB powers that be will NEVER allow FB to even attempt to take limelight from them. Ever.

So with our efforts to raise our FB program, combined with their history, we should expect to dominate the series.

Just as most of the $EC does. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan
uk has been hiring HFB coaches for 60 years. Some were proven winners elsewhere. Jerry Claiborne was going to save the program. NOTHING in his resume said he might fail at uk. He won at Maryland and VT.

But he failed. As did Bill Curry

Hell, they fired Blanton Collier while he had a winning record! (The last time that happened for sure:p) That's a real dedication to winning!!

I won't put all the data out here again, but uk's FB woes are self inflicted starting with Adolf Rupp getting rid of the Bear. The uk BB powers that be will NEVER allow FB to even attempt to take limelight from them. Ever.

So with our efforts to raise our FB program, combined with their history, we should expect to dominate the series.

Just as most of the $EC does. ;)
And as I certainly do! That's why it doesn't make sense that I am accused of being a slapd$ck when all I want to do is embarrassed UK in every way shape and form in every sport including tidily winks or whatever.

"Only a fool worries about regular season college basketball TV ratings."

Yes, those pesky ratings. No one uses those.

Someone said "outside of Ky, a UL/WKU game has no interest". Newsflash!!! Neither does the UL/uk game.

Not 100% true. I'm stuck in the heart of Big12 country, and I care about the UofL-UofK and UofL-WKU games. I know I'm not the only UofL fan who is stuck in that boat with 1 paddle. I get what you guys are saying but the 100% generalization just isn't true. There is SOME interest because of people like me who had no choice but to follow the job or find a new one. I preferred to follow the job.

Reactions: Mayoman
Not 100% true. I'm stuck in the heart of Big12 country, and I care about the UofL-UofK and UofL-WKU games. I know I'm not the only UofL fan who is stuck in that boat with 1 paddle. I get what you guys are saying but the 100% generalization just isn't true. There is SOME interest because of people like me who had no choice but to follow the job or find a new one. I preferred to follow the job.
Completely understand. Left Louisville in 1990 for work in NC. Now I'm back in KY for the same reason. At least I didn't have to put up with the kitties as much but there were a lot of them in Charlotte too. Things were going really good, we just joined the ACC but I'm back and able to go to more games so I'm happy.

To-MAY-to vs To-MOT-to (Tomato)

Ok, I stand corrected.;)

Nobody outside Ky, WITHOUT CONNECTION TO UL or uk, gives a rat about the game. On a national level uk has more Alums spread out there than UL. But it's still small numbers in TV Exec's eyes.

Sure, there will be some gamblers who will watch, hoping CBP runs it up and covers, but there is no overwhelming market shares to be had in St Louis, or LA, or Austin, or New York. Not because of us, but because uk has forever STUNK!

When CBP and LJ start lighting it up, some people will watch just as they did in CBP1, however that was helped a lot by playing on week nights.

But again, overall, the nation doesn't care.

Reactions: Cue Card
Nobody outside Ky, WITHOUT CONNECTION TO UL or uk, gives a rat about the game. On a national level uk has more Alums spread out there than UL. But it's still small numbers in TV Exec's eyes.
I'm sure that's true, but with that said, a couple of weeks ago I was helping my daughter move in to her new apartment in Stephenville, Texas where she goes to college and after getting her settled in, we all went out to eat (yes they actually have a couple of places to eat in BFE!), and as we were walking in, a young man in his early to mid 20's was walking out and he was wearing a LOUISVILLE T-shirt. I saw him, he saw my UofL hat and we talked for a moment. He had no ties to the university. Just likes the athletics. It was so unexpected yet cool as hell. Of all places to see another UofL fan! Weird I know but our fan base IS growing by at least 1 outside the Metro area. LOL.

I propose that the Governor's Cup be between Louisville and WKU the best 2 teams in the state.

As a warmup game we could have the "Lt. Governor's Cup" between UKay and EKU.

Reactions: zipp and Cue Card
Rollem,

I don't disagree that the U of L/UK football game may not have much interest out of the state but although this is the football forum, the argument has been about dropping UK in all sports and I guess specifically football, basketball and baseball. However the differences are both basketball teams are consistently recognized nationally as top programs. Baseball is starting to get there but as i said in another post until we beat Clemson, FSU, VT, GT and Miami, football is not there yet. Hopefully soon. If we continue our trend up and the kitties don't keep up, I don't have a problem dropping the football game and finding a better adversary like Mich St, TCU, Ohio St, ND, LSU but you better be prepared to win some of those games.

...I don't disagree that the U of L/UK football game may not have much interest out of the state but although this is the football forum, the argument has been about dropping UK in all sports and I guess specifically football, basketball and baseball. However the differences are both basketball teams are consistently recognized nationally as top programs. Baseball is starting to get there but as i said in another post until we beat Clemson, FSU, VT, GT and Miami, football is not there yet. Hopefully soon. If we continue our trend up and the kitties don't keep up, I don't have a problem dropping the football game and finding a better adversary like Mich St, TCU, Ohio St, ND, LSU but you better be prepared to win some of those games.
No, the bigger argument IS about all sports, not just football, basketball, and baseball. But it distills down into an argument about each sport, or a thread like this one.

LPT by its own admission is a men's "basketball school", which is exactly why their other sports generally suffer. A sport like women's basketball or baseball occasionally excels, but then it falls back to its natural place. If your own school aspires to be much more than that--we do--there's no reason to be joined at the hip with a less-aspiring school. Better to seek out better competition in each sport or a better overall program.

Rollem is right regardless. There is minimal interest in this rivalry except for fans of our respective schools. And we don't have the national following (yet) to move the needle. We're better served to put our schedules in the hands of the national networks and the conferences, and they will want better games involving us against better competition. If that happens to be LPT in a given sport, so be it. But that's certainly not preordained.

LPT Football: We're not sure about scheduling EKU (look at last year...)

Rollem,

I've said this before but it needs repeating. I am a native of Louisville but have not lived there since 1976....when I began my 25 year AF military career.

I have no number in mind as to how many men and women from Kentucky and/or Louisville have been and are presently in the military serving throughout the world in those 40 years.. A good % of them happen to be CFB/CBB/Baseball supporters of the UofLouisville or UK.

I have met and talked to...partied with...etc countless #'s of them in various sports bars or watch parties everywhere I have lived since 1976. Even though I did not attend UofL or UK, I have always been a staunch supporter of my hometown University and know from personal experience this happens. My degree is with the European Division of the University of Maryland in Germany by happenstance......but I love my Cardinals.

I have started more than one Cardinal Watch Group and held and/or attended numerous watch parties for many a year wherever I lived with just fans (unconnected to UofL in any way) of CFB or CBB because they liked those sports and watching good games, etc. There is interest outside the state boundaries of Kentucky. (Note: I have lived in Turkey, Germany, Texas, New Mexico and now Illinois-15 miles East of St Louis)

It is just so parochial and untrue to carte blanche state there is no interest just because you don't know who is watching and where they are watching it from or why they are watching the games.

WTH....even the infamous Z man lives outside of KY.

Also, how many alumni, Kentucky/Louisville retirees connected or unconnected to UofL that moved away to FL or wherever, and current military members are fans of the Cardinals and watch the games wherever they happen to be?

Even my son...who has no ties whatsoever to UofL, has watch parties for his friends in ALBQ, New Mexico, where he was born and where I happened to live on 2 separate work assignments totaling 15 years of my 25 years in the military. My son likes the Cardinals because I liked the Cardinals, etc. (PS...I raised him right!). And I converted many of my friends to Cardinal fanhood too.

In closing.....I have to chuckle when someone authoritatively states that no one outside the state of KY cares about these games or watches them. My eyeballs and ears know different. Just my 2 cents on this topic.....free of charge.;):D

Last edited:
I'm sure that's true, but with that said, a couple of weeks ago I was helping my daughter move in to her new apartment in Stephenville, Texas where she goes to college and after getting her settled in, we all went out to eat (yes they actually have a couple of places to eat in BFE!), and as we were walking in, a young man in his early to mid 20's was walking out and he was wearing a LOUISVILLE T-shirt. I saw him, he saw my UofL hat and we talked for a moment. He had no ties to the university. Just likes the athletics. It was so unexpected yet cool as hell. Of all places to see another UofL fan! Weird I know but our fan base IS growing by at least 1 outside the Metro area. LOL.
Neat story, but a couple of caveats... First, it's anecdotal. The people who track this stuff for a living would likely tell you that you happened to stumble upon 'that one guy' in a 50-mile radius of where you were.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with LPT. 'That guy' probably didn't pick up on U of L because he hates LPT or because he likes those games between us. Rather, he likes us. Because of where he lives, maybe he'd rather see us play a team from Texas. (In football, so would I...)

LPT Football: We sure can't compete with Texas...

The Governors cup was commissioned as the trophy to go to the winner of the UofL vs UK game period! Any talk of including WKU is wishful thinking on WKU's part. While I agree they are a more worthy opponent at this time, if they wanted to be included in an annual game with either UofL or UK, due to conference scheduling, unfortunately for them that ship has sailed. The best they can hope for now from either school is a game every few years.

mw61 is basically correct with his comments. An annual game vs WKU would not be in UofL's best interest as they don't play in a "major P5" conference. Times have changed and scheduling non P5 schools is going to be rare for a few years and this is the result of the playoff series. :rolleyes:

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Plus since WKU only became a FBS school in 2009, which they went 0-12, there wasn't any sense to play them as we had nothing to gain but everything to lose. If you want to start a new tradition against WKU that's fine but it shouldn't be the Governors Cup, maybe the Kentucky Champions Cup. Still as gocds mentioned, Western doesn't play in a big boy conference so we still have nothing to gain and even less tradition.

I'm completely convinced that if UofL wasn't in the ACC our annual rival football game vs uahkay wouldn't exist any longer. WTH they didn't really want the game any longer before we joined the ACC and their moving the game away from the first game of the season is evidence of that. Now that ESPN and the ACC and SEC have gotten involved they are, to their dismay, locked in to the football game. I do not want to stop scheduling them. To the contrary, I want to continue to play them in any and all sports as possible. Tomorrow night UofL's women soccer team will play uahkay's women at the LYNN soccer stadium and they own a 3 or 4 game streak in that series. I enjoy the baseball series and even the basketball series. Hopefully, we'll end their streak this year. I believe we are all entitled to our opinions and I think we should be able to speak to those opinions without demeaning one another. WTH we are all UofL fans, at least I hope so.

Neat story, but a couple of caveats... First, it's anecdotal. The people who track this stuff for a living would likely tell you that you happened to stumble upon 'that one guy' in a 50-mile radius of where you were.

Secondly, it has nothing to do with LPT. 'That guy' probably didn't pick up on U of L because he hates LPT or because he likes those games between us. Rather, he likes us. Because of where he lives, maybe he'd rather see us play a team from Texas. (In football, so would I...)

LPT Football: We sure can't compete with Texas...

Everything you've argued at nauseeum on this point has been anecdotal. When confronted with cold hard data that says that people, lots of people do in fact watch the games, you dismiss it because it doesn't fit your anecdotal narrative.

Reactions: Cue Card
The Governors Cup isn't a trophy for the "best team in Kentucky" it's a trophy for the winner of the rivalry game between Louisville and Kentucky. While I agree that over the past 5-6 years WKU has been a better program than Kentucky, they have no real claim to the Governor's Cup.

Everything you've argued at nauseeum on this point has been anecdotal. When confronted with cold hard data that says that people, lots of people do in fact watch the games, you dismiss it because it doesn't fit your anecdotal narrative.
Thanks? I appreciate you responding to zipp, because I just don't have the energy to deal with his one side slanted point of view on everything. I've noticed if it isn't HIS point of view then it's just wrong. That's OK I guess but explaining the same thing over and over expecting different results from the person you're explaining it to is pure insanity. I'm crazy enough. I don't need any help from zipp. :confused:

Gocds,

The reason the game was moved from the 1st of the season was to match up with ESPNs rivalry week but more importantly the kitties were in favor of pushing it back because they would be more prepared for the Cards later. Somehow their logic was after playing a tough SEC schedule would make it easier to play the Cards.

Gocds,

The reason the game was moved from the 1st of the season was to match up with ESPNs rivalry week but more importantly the kitties were in favor of pushing it back because they would be more prepared for the Cards later. Somehow their logic was after playing a tough SEC schedule would make it easier to play the Cards.

Maybe you've forgotten that they moved the game "in their house" back to the third game of the season and that they were ALWAYS opposed to having the game as the last game of the season. The ACC and SEC powers that be bowed to the desires of ESPN. I assure you that if the SEC ever goes to a nine game schedule they will want to drop the UofL game like the cowards they are. I still think the SEC and ACC will have control over when this game is to be played. Of course ESPN controls the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT