ADVERTISEMENT

Who Petrino has lost to the second time around?

MM writes like a guy who had Petrino show him up at a presser. A little thicker skin is in order esp. for a journalist and esp. on the internet...

Tell how you like it when we 4-8 next year.

Obviously, none of us would like that, but I feel like you will enjoy it just so you can say you were right. You are very dramatic and overly pessimistic. We might take a step back, but I seriously doubt it will be that bad. I ask again, who is the replacement? Before you answer, I also ask do you think the new regime is going to pay someone who is better? I don’t think you have thought this through. Tell (me) how you like it when we (go) 8-4 next year. Winning is not guaranteed. I sense a bit of fairweatherism. Maybe, the basketball blues are bleeding over.

MM is a well known loser troll from way back.

Jay Reimenschneider-Card Fan 1130- etc...

What next Jay? Nick Papagiorgio?

You are riding a fence there. Tell us all, in your infinite wisdom, what is going to happen. Are we going to suck? If we do, should we fire CBP? If so, who do we hire? I am a bit surprised to see you show up here and start complaining. Are you the real MMc and if so, did you get run out of the other sites? Go on record.

I think 4-8 is not what I would predict but I do think 5-7 wins is very likely but as I said there are people here who would make excuses even if we did go 4-8. And when someone expresses any criticism of a U of L coach you guys always have the same stock in trade response. Who would you hire to replace him? That has been going on since Kragthorpe. Can't people offer opinions without the conversation going off the rails or claiming criticism means we support firing? I assume everyone here wants to win. Maybe I should not assume that?

Reactions: wilkie01
Before wilkie answers....

We have no guarantee that Jeff Brohm will wanna coach under a Prez who has openly said he wants to de-emphasize athletics. I doubt seriously that the Purdue Prez has ever said anything approaching that...

MM is a well known loser troll from way back.

Jay Reimenschneider-Card Fan 1130- etc...

What next Jay? Nick Papagiorgio?

This poor guy apparently sees trolls in his sleep and hiding behind trees. Get a grip little feller. Just because people have to correct you or disagree with you doesn't mean they are a troll.

In the acc we are a 9 win program imo. We not playing uconn and usf no more. These games are tough but we have recruited a whole lot better. Think about this, we won 8 games last year and lost our bowl and we actually may get the best recruiting class I the history of our program
That's progress. All I ask each year is 10 wins and that includes the bowl. So if he goes 9-3 and wins the bowl that's a great season
If he goes 10-2 and loses the bowl that's a great season. 9 wins is a good season and 8 wins is disappointing.

In the acc we are a 9 win program imo. We not playing uconn and usf no more. These games are tough but we have recruited a whole lot better. Think about this, we won 8 games last year and lost our bowl and we actually may get the best recruiting class I the history of our program
That's progress. All I ask each year is 10 wins and that includes the bowl. So if he goes 9-3 and wins the bowl that's a great season
If he goes 10-2 and loses the bowl that's a great season. 9 wins is a good season and 8 wins is disappointing.

Not really seeing this increase in talent regardless of what the recruit rankings are. I saw more talent in the program in 2004-2006 than we have now. I also saw a more polished offense and I don't think anyone can just attribute that to the schedule. The 2006 schedule was not a cake walk.

U of L fans, all I hear are crickets...
I’d gladly trade a win over Clemson for a win over UK, if and only if we were going to make the ACC championship game. If our conference schedule didn’t go well, take the Uk win. If we have a chance give her to the ACCCG, no contest, take Clemson.

Not really seeing this increase in talent regardless of what the recruit rankings are. I saw more talent in the program in 2004-2006 than we have now. I also saw a more polished offense and I don't think anyone can just attribute that to the schedule. The 2006 schedule was not a cake walk.
I’d argue that the offense is at least as good as it was in Bobby 1.0. The problem is that we even the weak ACC teams pose match-up problems to us at times. See Wake forest this year, a senior QB torched our suspect secondary. BC ran right through us. If we could just balance the talent on both sides of the ball, which is beginning to happen, then we should take care of teams like these.

Whether we are recruiting “better” or not doesn’t matter if everybody else is too.

We are recruiting against others who:

1. Have better recruiting bases to start with
2. Are closer to even better recruiting areas

Anybody who thinks 9-10 wins A YEAR is in for a lot of disappointment.

Most schools can’t. Even ones in prime recruiting areas.

Personally in think the 2017 class and this 2018 class are really good. I just don't think this 2006 team or the teddy teams would lose one game with this schedule. 2006 I remember it well. Wvu, cincy, rutgers were really good but they weren't better then clemson. I would say ncstate is better then that cincy and rutgers team from 2006. Fsu and BC I would think are better then usf and we only played 7 conference games in 2006
Kstate was mediocre that year and so was miami. Kentucky won 8 games that year so they were good. The beginning of that season that schedule looked good but in the end it was solid. This 2017 team would of went 11-1 as well with that 2006 schedule.

Personally in think the 2017 class and this 2018 class are really good. I just don't think this 2006 team or the teddy teams would lose one game with this schedule. 2006 I remember it well. Wvu, cincy, rutgers were really good but they weren't better then clemson. I would say ncstate is better then that cincy and rutgers team from 2006. Fsu and BC I would think are better then usf and we only played 7 conference games in 2006
Kstate was mediocre that year and so was miami. Kentucky won 8 games that year so they were good. The beginning of that season that schedule looked good but in the end it was solid. This 2017 team would of went 11-1 as well with that 2006 schedule.

No one on the schedule this year except Clemson could have competed with the 2006 team and I believe the West Virginia team we defeated was better than Clemson this year. Zero chance the 2017 team would have gone 11-1 with that schedule. Would have lost to West Virginia, Rutgers, Kansas State, and USF at least. Come on. You are comparing what was probably the best team in the country to an 8-5 team.

Last edited:
I’d gladly trade a win over Clemson for a win over UK, if and only if we were going to make the ACC championship game. If our conference schedule didn’t go well, take the Uk win. If we have a chance give her to the ACCCG, no contest, take Clemson.
Except to win the conference--which is the higher goal--how does that trade help you? Losing to LPT in football is an embarrassment. It would diminish your resume as far as a national championship which is the ultimate goal.

And while you SAY that would be a good trade, I really wanna hear the fanbase unite in late-Nov after an embarrassing loss like that and re-celebrate the Atlantic Division title. It sounds like the right trade in principle--I wanna see it in practice 'cuz I don't believe you'd have much company. In fact, I can hear the Petrino-can-finally-beat-Clemson-and-still-can't-handle-LPT griping...

Except to win the conference--which is the higher goal--how does that trade help you? Losing to LPT in football is an embarrassment. It would diminish your resume as far as a national championship which is the ultimate goal.

And while you SAY that would be a good trade, I really wanna hear the fanbase unite in late-Nov after an embarrassing loss like that and re-celebrate the Atlantic Division title. It sounds like the right trade in principle--I wanna see it in practice 'cuz I don't believe you'd have much company. In fact, I can hear the Petrino-can-finally-beat-Clemson-and-still-can't-handle-LPT griping...
That’s a fair point, but if you only lose 1 and win the ACC you can still get to and win the title. See Clemson embarrassing loss to Pitt.

That’s a fair point, but if you only lose 1 and win the ACC you can still get to and win the title. See Clemson embarrassing loss to Pitt.
Yes, but we could each create all sorts of hypotheticals where winning or losing any single game doesn't matter.

The question is, in a vacuum, how does trading something like a Clemson win for an LPT loss help you? One sends you into orbit, the other brings you crashing to Earth. You end up about where you are now in terms of how the majority think.

The only way you make true progress is ADDING a win like Clemson to your resume. And that's simply the desire to win more games couched in a debate that Petrino can't beat ranked teams. That's a specious argument...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardinal Cash
Yes, but we could each create all sorts of hypotheticals where winning or losing any single game doesn't matter.

The question is, in a vacuum, how does trading something like a Clemson win for an LPT loss help you? One sends you into orbit, the other brings you crashing to Earth. You end up about where you are now in terms of how the majority think.

The only way you make true progress is ADDING a win like Clemson to your resume. And that's simply the desire to win more games couched in a debate that Petrino can't beat ranked teams. That's a specious argument...
This is correct, but your first question was about a trading Clemson win for a Kentucky win. But yes ideally we would add a Clemson win to the fold and have a 10-11 win season.

I guess in the end, my point is I could just as easily make the counterargument to the can't-beat-ranked-teams POV with one that holds the same relevance... I'll simply respond each time "yeah, but Petrino does a great job beating the teams he's supposed to beat."

And to his naysayers, he must really do a great job at that if ranking is a legit issue...

Last edited:
Tell how you like it when we 4-8 next year.

This is the Kind of bs that drives me insane. Why would we go 4-8 next year? We've recruited well and those "losses" on the defensive unit shouldn't concern anyone. Until Petrino puts up a losing record here, let's trust what he's always done. 34-18 against the absolute best run of four-year opponents week in and week out doesn't deserve this kind of pessimism.

Looking back on the last two seasons we have been a Jekyl and Hyde team.

IF Bobby can’t get them to focus there is not a game outside of ISU that we can’t lose.

And conversely, there is only one we can’t win.

So, think about how much of your cash money you would bet on us going better than 4-8.

I think/hope we do. But I won’t bet my house on it.

I'd personally lay down 5% of my yearly salary that we will win more than 4 games next season. That wager presents excellent value and yes, I am a gambler.

I'd personally lay down 5% of my yearly salary that we will win more than 4 games next season. That wager presents excellent value and yes, I am a gambler.
I’m a gambler too. Craps. (Rollem) :D

So the house would say you’re betting there’s only a 5% chance of winning more than 4. ;)

But I know what you’re saying, and that is a serious wager. You have more faith than I do.

When ‘16 started we could beat anybody, then it got iffy but won, then we couldn’t beat anybody.

In ‘17 we started iffy but won, then lost close, then won pretty, then finished ugly.

I can’t put serious money on that.

That said, we’re undefeat in ‘18. Let’s hope it stays that way!

Reactions: STLNBSE
The worst part about my proposed 5% wager Rollem, would be that such a wager would leave me hardly any excess capital for betting the ponies. That would be the real preventative factor for me! When I was betting sports, I never liked playing a future where I'd have to wait 5-6 months to say if I won or not.

The only games I concede as defeats next year are Bama and Clemson. And I'm even willing to entertain the idea that we could beat one or both. The thing that scares me about our team is one Peter Sirmon. He has to be better and our defense has to play much better. That's the real wildcard for next year.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Cards under BP:

BP 1.0: 41 - 9 (Aug 31, 2003 - Jan 2, 2007) (18 P5 Wins; 5 P5 Losses) (Won 78% of P5 games)
BP 2.1: 26 -10 (Sept 1, 2014 - Nov 12, 2016) (21 P5 Wins; 9 P5 Losses) (Won 70% of P5 games)
BP 2.2: 8 - 8 (Nov 17, 2016 - Dec 31, 2017) (6 P5 Wins; 7 P5 Losses) (Winning 46% of P5 games)
BP Overall: 75 - 27 (45 P5 Wins; 21 P5 Losses) (Has Won 68% of P5 games)

(Before Nov 17, 2016 BP's Cards were 67-19; After Nov 17, 2016, BP's Cards have been 8-8)

The Houston and Kentucky games in Nov 2016 were the clear line of demarcation. BP 2.2's 7 P5 Losses since Nov 17, 2016 have been particularly tough for the fan base, the players, the coaching staff and for BP:

H Kentucky
N LSU
H Clemson
A NC State
H Boston College
A Wake Forest
N Mississippi State

All of these 7 losses were hard to witness, but the Kentucky, NC State, Boston College and Mississippi State games were all quite winnable. There was questionable coaching and poor execution in these 4 losses.

The other three losses (LSU, Clemson, Wake Forest) were mismatch blowouts.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT