ADVERTISEMENT

Who Petrino has lost to the second time around?

wilkie01

Four-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Planet Red
Here are the teams by years:

Home Clemson 47-21
Away North Carolina State 39-25
Away Boston College 45-42
Away Wake Forest 42-32
Taxslayer
Bowl Mississippi State 31-27
(8-5) (4*4)

Away Clemson 42-36
Away Houston 36-10 (smeared by a G5 team)
Home Kentucky 41-38
Citrus Bowl LSU 29-9 (another smear)
(9-4) (7-1)

Neutral Site Auburn 31-24
Home Houston 34-31 (G5 team)
Home Clemson 20-17
Away Florida State 41-21
Away Pittsburgh 45-34
(8-5) (5-3)

Away Virginia 23-21
Away Clemson 23-17
Home Florida State 42-31
Belk Bowl Georgia 37-14
(9-4) (5-3)

Over all record (34-18) win 65% Grade F
ACC (21-11) win 66% Grade F

Unless this changes, he is not producing!

In the not too distant past I would have agreed, but no more.

When we were CUSA, BE, and AAC we could get pretty good players and a couple diamonds in the rough. Two star Bilal Powell and Calvin Pryor quickly come to mind.

We were "better" than most of the schedule, and could key on the biggie(s), and we scored a rep on it.

But now we are in the big leagues with comparable competition , and our lack of a recruiting base is going to put a ceiling on us.

If you check the top 25 recruiting classes for the last 15 years, I'll bet money there are not 35 teams on it.

Year in, and year out, it's the SAME teams getting top classes. Even when others crack it, they don't do it consistently.

We are now scrambling to be the best of the rest. And hoping that the occasional superstar, or top 20 class can give us a punchers chance to do something big.

There are what, 65 P5 teams? and 40 of them (us) are trying to join the blue bloods.

The Belk, Music City, or Belk Bowl will be a success and the coach will be safe with a 750 - .650 win percentage.. Less than that will put on some heat.

Reactions: Mayoman

Home Clemson 47-21
Away Wake Forest 42-32
Taxslayer
(8-5) (4*4)

Away Clemson 42-36
Home Kentucky 41-38
(9-4) (7-1)

Home Clemson 20-17
Away Florida State 41-21
Away Pittsburgh 45-34
(8-5) (5-3)

Away Virginia 23-21
Away Clemson 23-17
Home Florida State 42-31
Belk Bowl Georgia 37-14
(9-4) (5-3)

An 'F' would decry a change. I'll go with a 'C'
Here's the losses he should have won

2014 VA and Clemson should have been wins.11-2
2015 UH and Pitt 10-3
2016 UH, SuCkS, and LSU. 12-1
2017 Wake and BC. 10-3

Thats double digit wins every season and were not even thinking of Brohm.
In fact, beat UH and SuCkS in 16' , theyre in the Orange bowl.

2015 UH and Pitt 10-3
2017 Wake and BC. 10-3

Oh look, Petrino should be 41-9 this time also o_O

Oh look, Petrino should be 41-9 this time also o_O

Shoulda, coulda, woulda......is not the most positive mantra. Reality is harder to accept for some than it is for others.

Had Charlie left better 'O' line players......had Grantham recruited better 'D' lineman and LB's, and CB"s and Safeties, etc, etc. CBP and Sirmon woulda had more to work with.....maybe.....the defense suffered the last 2 years and the 'O' faced limitations because of poor OL. Reasonable explanations or excuses. But by all means, let's fire CBP. Not!

What would CCS have been able to due with the rosters of the last 4 years based on how great he did at Texas? Who the hell knows for sure....we can all speculate though.

Outside of UH losses, which ACC team loss was a team on the same status as the CUSA and BE teams that UofL played against vs 1.0? Were they better or worse?

BC played lights out vs the Cards and their best season in years this past year. Cards still shoulda (there is that word again) won that game too. WF just smoked the Cards....no excuses for CBP there.

If you want stability and a proven commodity....keep CBP. As I stated in another thread.....years 5 and 6 will determine a lot about the status of Cards FB going into the future.

By that time.....Brohm will have either made his mark at Purdue or not. Time will tell.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda......is not the most positive mantra. Reality is harder to accept for some than it is for others.

Had Charlie left better 'O' line players......had Grantham recruited better 'D' lineman and LB's, and CB"s and Safeties, etc, etc. CBP and Sirmon woulda had more to work with.....maybe.....the defense suffered the last 2 years and the 'O' faced limitations because of poor OL. Reasonable explanations or excuses. But by all means, let's fire CBP. Not!

What would CCS have been able to due with the rosters of the last 4 years based on how great he did at Texas? Who the hell knows for sure....we can all speculate though.

Outside of UH losses, which ACC team loss was a team on the same status as the CUSA and BE teams that UofL played against vs 1.0? Were they better or worse?

BC played lights out vs the Cards and their best season in years this past year. Cards still shoulda (there is that word again) won that game too. WF just smoked the Cards....no excuses for CBP there.

If you want stability and a proven commodity....keep CBP. As I stated in another thread.....years 5 and 6 will determine a lot about the status of Cards FB going into the future.

By that time.....Brohm will have either made his mark at Purdue or not. Time will tell.

Had Petrino not lied after signing a 10 yr contract.
Had Petrino not effed up in Arkansas, he'd still be there.

Strong left him a loaded team, and Petrino's coaching had gone beneath his.
Strong had to clean up kragduds mess. What was Petrino's excuse.
Did 10 yrs of head coaching experience get in the way.

Offensive line. You mean the two offensive lineman drafted in the NFL, both still there, that played
One Year under Petrino.

Petrino has underformed and stolen 4 million.
HE HAD THE FREAKING HEISMAN WINNER AND THE BEST bowl UofL played in was the Citrus
bowl.

5 and 6 years of 5+ losses will turn into 8 and 9 yrs of 5+ losses unless he wakes
up from his slumber.

Making excuses for losing to BC. No wonder John l said we'd never be bigtime.
We have fans like you who accept mediocrity.

Reactions: wilkie01

Home Clemson 47-21
Away Wake Forest 42-32
Taxslayer
(8-5) (4*4)

Away Clemson 42-36
Home Kentucky 41-38
(9-4) (7-1)

Home Clemson 20-17
Away Florida State 41-21
Away Pittsburgh 45-34
(8-5) (5-3)

Away Virginia 23-21
Away Clemson 23-17
Home Florida State 42-31
Belk Bowl Georgia 37-14
(9-4) (5-3)

BC was a home game in 2017.

What does he do the get an A? 4 NCs? It will take us years to recruit to a level to truely compete for ACC titles. We’ve only been in the ACC 4 years and have been competitive all 4. It’s tough to watch us lose games we should win (Wake, BC, even NCSU, Pitt last year) but this is a strong class and hopefully the first of many. We will get better - and w are not bad now.

Sure it will, this has been the spin now for at least three years, 2018 is the 5th year, every player has been recruited by Bobby Petrino for 2018. No excuses for 2018, either you have turn the corner or you have not. Again no excuses in 2018.

Sure it will, this has been the spin now for at least three years, 2018 is the 5th year, every player has been recruited by Bobby Petrino for 2018. No excuses for 2018, either you have turn the corner or you have not. Again no excuses in 2018.

2018 involves breaking in a new quarterback and replacing most of the defensive line while competing against the toughest schedule in school history. When you look at the roster make up and schedule, I’d say 2019 is where you’d hope to be a top 15 type team.

How many games has Petrino won that he wasn't favored to win?

I think a few, Cards were +2.5 vs A&M in that bowl win. I believe, though not 100% sure, the Cards were also an underdog at ND when the Cards won, and more than likely when the Cards blew out FSU they were an underdog for that one too. Not sure what the line was for this year's game that was @ FSU, but the Cards may have been an underdog there too.

So maybe he's averaging 1 upset win a year? Maybe? Maybe not. Others that follow the point spread can probably speak with more certainty.

Zipp?

We have to fix our very weak defense and weak O-line.

The problem with the poor lines was unbalanced recruiting. Strong didn’t recruit Oline near the end. And then Petrino didn’t recruit d line well at the beginning. I think the Oline is solid now and will be really good in 2019. The incoming class of d line appears to be strong, but will be a huge question mark in 2018. 2019 should be a different story.

We have to fix our very weak defense and weak O-line.

That is true but it sure appeared to me that we lack speed on both sides of the ball which is a recruiting issue that may have no solution because of the inherent limitations we are stuck with. I wish Petrino would go back to his traditional offensive scheme that he used here the first time and at Arkansas. We cannot play Clemson style football with Louisville talent and we will never recruit at their level. While Jackson was an amazing athlete, he was not good at using all his weapons or adjusting to defenses. It remains to be seen whether Pass can get the most out of the Petrino offense.

2018 involves breaking in a new quarterback and replacing most of the defensive line while competing against the toughest schedule in school history. When you look at the roster make up and schedule, I’d say 2019 is where you’d hope to be a top 15 type team.

Yes, 2018 is a bad time to have high expectations. What we are losing from a personnel perspective, ouch, man. Ouch! Then there's the schedule. It's going to be a killer. The upcoming season will be interesting, the potential fall out, that is. I can envision a scenario that Petrino gets on the hot seat after a 6,7 loss season with some ugly losses peppered throughout, then if 2019 goes sour early, he gets his walking papers.

Last edited:
Whereas I don't expect Top 5 classes every year, Top 15-20 will get us competitive. I'm on board with CBP through 2019 but I'm not nearly as enthusiastic about him as a Coach as I once was. Why 2019? Then we will have had 3 consecutive strong recruiting classes and good coaching will take us places. Oh for Clemson sucks and we were VERY competitive with them until this year.

That is true but it sure appeared to me that we lack speed on both sides of the ball which is a recruiting issue that may have no solution because of the inherent limitations we are stuck with. I wish Petrino would go back to his traditional offensive scheme that he used here the first time and at Arkansas. We cannot play Clemson style football with Louisville talent and we will never recruit at their level. While Jackson was an amazing athlete, he was not good at using all his weapons or adjusting to defenses. It remains to be seen whether Pass can get the most out of the Petrino offense.

I agree that speed kills. I think tom attract speed Louisville has to develop a first class track program in order to attract the needed speed demons to our football program.

I think a few, Cards were +2.5 vs A&M in that bowl win. I believe, though not 100% sure, the Cards were also an underdog at ND when the Cards won, and more than likely when the Cards blew out FSU they were an underdog for that one too. Not sure what the line was for this year's game that was @ FSU, but the Cards may have been an underdog there too.

So maybe he's averaging 1 upset win a year? Maybe? Maybe not. Others that follow the point spread can probably speak with more certainty.

Zipp?
2014- Louisville won @ ND as a slight underdog.

2015- Louisville won @ NC State as a slight underdog. Louisville was 6 Point favorite in the Bowl game against Texas A&M. (A&M) was down to a 3rd string QB.

2016- Louisville won vs FSU as a 1 Point underdog.

2017- Louisville won @ FSU as a 6 1/2 Point dog.

2015 UH and Pitt 10-3
2017 Wake and BC. 10-3

Did you go back and look at the games UofL should have lost but instead won? Didn’t think so. You can’t use this logic without looking at both sides. Just saying.

Did you go back and look at the games UofL should have lost but instead won? Didn’t think so. You can’t use this logic without looking at both sides. Just saying.
Define “should have lost but instead won”. If you mean games won as an underdog, the complete list during BP’s 2nd stint is in the post above.

2014- Louisville won @ ND as a slight underdog.

2015- Louisville won @ NC State as a slight underdog. Louisville was 6 Point favorite in the Bowl game against Texas A&M. (A&M) was down to a 3rd string QB.

2016- Louisville won vs FSU as a 1 Point underdog.

2017- Louisville won @ FSU as a 6 1/2 Point dog.

Thanks for getting these. Obviously wherever I saw the Cards as a dog to A&M was bad info, I trust you more than what I thought I saw.

Reactions: Louisvillian
Just to get slammed this morning.....
At the very core, UofL SEEMS to have the same major issue UK has....lack of quality depth, especially on the lines.
There are fewer high caliber Of and D linemen than any position in football, and those kids always seem to gravitate to just a few schools.

Just to get slammed this morning.....
At the very core, UofL SEEMS to have the same major issue UK has....lack of quality depth, especially on the lines.
There are fewer high caliber Of and D linemen than any position in football, and those kids always seem to gravitate to just a few schools.
Hard to argue with those points.

Thanks for getting these. Obviously wherever I saw the Cards as a dog to A&M was bad info, I trust you more than what I thought I saw.
I was actually off on the closing line for the A&M game. Louisville was definitely the favorite but the line was 3 1/2 points, not 6 as I posted. A brain freeze typo.

You weren’t totally wrong either. A&M opened as a 2 1/2 Point favorite but the line swung hard the other way when it was announced that backup Kyler Murray would not be playing.

Petrino and U of L are at the breakpoint for the upper quintile (20%) in P5 conference winning % the last four years. Four years bracket Petrino 2.0's tenure as well as our ACC membership. 20% of the teams/coaches have a higher win % and 80% are lower.

Among the teams that trail U of L (#13) are Washington (#14), Penn State (#15), LSU (#17), Michigan (#18), Miami (#20), and Florida (#22). A team can pad it's OOC schedule, but it has little control over its conference schedule.

What too many of you guys do is cherry pick data to suit your objective. I'm also still waiting for the first person clamoring how we can't beat teams ranked higher or favored to beat us to tell me which wins over inferior teams they're willing to trade. Like a win over Clemson for a win over LPT. Funny how no one wants to make those trades, you just wanna win more games. Don't we all...

Last edited:
I see the point, but truth is UofL is not often going to be the prohibitive dog in a regular season game. You guys WILL be the underdog against Bama....so join three years worth of teams.
No one knows what Taggert is going to do at FSU (which has become one of the flakiest programs around). Clemson is Alabama level. Georgia Tech runs hot and cold.
Next year you MIGHT be dogs for three, four games when the season starts....talking more than a field goal difference.
Not many chances for true upsets.

...I'm also still waiting for the first person clamoring how we can't beat teams ranked higher or favored to beat us to tell me which wins over inferior teams they're willing to trade. Like a win over Clemson for a win over LPT. Funny how no one wants to make those trades, you just wanna win more games. Don't we all...
U of L fans, all I hear are crickets...

FWIW, more numbers during BP part 2.

34-18 overall as mentioned in OP.

30-8 when favored.

4-10 as an underdog.

In the ACC:

18-4 when favored

3-7 as an underdog.

Certainly respectable numbers, especially when you consider 8 of the 14 times we were dogs was against heavyweights FSU and Clemson.

Point spreads and stats certainly don’t tell everything and another factor to remember is that the high percentage of games that Louisville was favored (especially in 2014 and 2015) was due to the coaching prowess and reputation of Bobby Petrino. Then the “Lamar Factor” took over. BP also deserves credit for developing him no matter how freakishly talented he is.

The blemish that sticks in most fans’ minds is probably the ugly nosedive the Cards did at the end of 2016.

I heard them say the other day that Alabama has not lost to a team outside the Top 20 since 2007 , which was Saban's first year.

I am tried of hearing excuses for subpar performances by Bobby Petrino. Its time for him to $hit or get off the pot.

Be careful what you wish for. You just assume we will go out and find someone better. You might want to ask yourself what is keeping us from taking the next step. Smart people know the answer is the lack of an in state (or close) recruiting base. There is not a single coach alive who can change that.

Rest assured if that happens, there are posters here already lined up with their excuses.

You are riding a fence there. Tell us all, in your infinite wisdom, what is going to happen. Are we going to suck? If we do, should we fire CBP? If so, who do we hire? I am a bit surprised to see you show up here and start complaining. Are you the real MMc and if so, did you get run out of the other sites? Go on record.

Reactions: Mayoman and zipp
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT