ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Wake's Fine?

Not over for me.

I want Petrino to give Fake Forest the gameplan and still beat them 60-0, next season.

They lit the match and walked away..............

Reactions: Cue Card
Good point. They had a rouge employee representing the university engage in unethical conduct for over 3 years. Why was WF not fined for failure to control its employees? Wonder if Elrod will become a Huber driver.

The ACC IMO wants this to go away...and it will...fans will hold grudges and some coaches but the ACC offices are done.

Good point. They had a rouge employee representing the university engage in unethical conduct for over 3 years. Why was WF not fined for failure to control its employees? Wonder if Elrod will become a Huber driver.

He wasn't an employee. That's the thing- they fired the guy 3 years ago, they just didn't make him leave. Instead, they gave him free access to the premises and inside info on formations and game plans.

Yep. They were supplying the goods everyone got in trouble for. Just like with drugs...you go after the dealer. Not the user. Going easy on them will set a bad precedent IMO. Kick em out and bring in USF.:D

Here's where it could get interesting and Wake could actually wind up paying a price for it.

RUMOR has it that Wakes QB's father is considering legal action against Wake and IMG because his son was sacked over 110 times over the last 3 seasons. Says the leaks endangered his son.

Might have a legitimate argument on that one.

Here's where it could get interesting and Wake could actually wind up paying a price for it.

RUMOR has it that Wakes QB's father is considering legal action against Wake and IMG because his son was sacked over 110 times over the last 3 seasons. Says the leaks endangered his son.

Assuming his son is 18 years old or older, if he does file suit, his attorney should be disbarred. The dad doesn't have standing. If his son were killed or made an invalid, that would be different. Of course, if his son were an invalid, he'd be the starting QB for the Browns next season. So that pretty much eliminates any damages.

As to the OP, I can see no violation in picking up paper and looking at it. It is not quite the same as knowingly receiving inside information. One is serendipitous; the other is unethical. It is also not the same as lying about receiving inside information.

I heard this too. THAT could get interesting.

And on our end....IF Galloway did, in fact, get an attorney, ours may not be over either. If we get in a p!$$ing battle nobody is gonna smell good. Other things could come out that we don't want to know.

I'd really like to know how this would have played out if WF had won. They couldn't say they found our Defensive play cards three days after the game. That would make THEM the cheater.

Wouldn't it?

Seriously. This is unbelievable. You want Wake Forest to suffer because of the hit that your school is taking even though Wake Forest had nothing to do with whatever went on between Galloway's staff and Elrod? You actually want Wake Forest to be sued by the QB's father over Elrod's sole and (very likely) illegal actions?

Folks, look. First off, this isn't that big a story. No one cares - including not very many people at Wake Forest - and this story will disappear from the headlines as soon as bowl games that people actually care about - as opposed to contents between mid majors and 6-6 teams played before maybe 15000 "spectators" most of which are tickets either "sold" as part as corporate and civic promotions or "given" away to charity for tax writeoffs - are being played and the sports writers have actual news to talk about.

Second: the only reason why this is a story at all is because Louisville decided to hire Bobby Petrino as coach. A hire that was supported - indeed demanded - by the vast majority of the fans. Well that is the shoe that Louisville wanted to wear so go ahead and wear it. Louisville fans decided that the wins were more important than the extra scrutiny and other negatives associated with hiring a guy with baggage. I am not going to debate whether that was a good decision or not, other than to point out that as Petrino actually does have a pretty good record graduating players and limiting off-the-field problems (indeed a far better one than a lot of coaches who enjoy much better reputations) it makes it a lot easier to build a case for the guy if you choose. But the reality is this: Petrino's reputation is due SOLELY to his own actions. Louisville's increased negative scrutiny is due SOLELY to their decision to hire someone that they KNEW was problematic and come with increased scrutiny. So attacking WAKE FOREST over something that really, truly is all about what Petrino and Louisville decided to do is abdicating personal responsibility for the decisions made by Petrino, the fan base and the Louisville institution.

It isn't as if there weren't other good candidates out there. But you guys wanted a proven winner to accompany your step up in competition from the Big East to the ACC because another Steve Kragthorpe type hire would have been absolutely disastrous, and we all know that someone would have come along and given Petrino another shot soon - as early as the next season - anyway so it might as well be you guys. Again, I am not going to knock or debate the logic. But you guys KNEW that you were buying into everything else that came with it, so why pull nonsense like this? Or the other absolutely idiotic thread that claims that what Tommy Elrod did is no different from an assistant coach changing schools? (Never mind all the former assistants from rivals and opponents that joined Louisville. Only the Louisville coach that was let go for the sake of nepotism - something else that you guys knew came along with Petrino - and goes to help a rival was called into question.)

Seriously. Stop talking about it. Let it blow over. The other stuff that Petrino will pull in the future? Take it in stride. You got your first ever Heisman out of the deal - something that was inconceivable for a program that has 20 historical bowl appearances with 16 since 1998 - and by my estimation from watching you guys this year are a couple more legit players on the interior of both lines from being a legit national title contender (unfortunately it appears from this recruiting class that your blue chippers are still skill players and not linemen, and it is the blue chip linemen that separate guys like Ohio State, Alabama and why not go ahead and say Clemson and the programs on the next tier). It is what you wanted Petrino to bring to you guys, so suck it up and take the extra added criticism that goes with it.

I never said I wanted Wake to get in trouble. I said it's an interesting angle that the QB's dad is considering legal action due to his son taking so many sacks.

You gotta admit, that one's unprecedented.

I never said I wanted Wake to get in trouble. I said it's an interesting angle that the QB's dad is considering legal action due to his son taking so many sacks.

You gotta admit, that one's unprecedented.
Understood. But look at the context of the thread that ShortCreek started: "Where is Wake's fine?" and some of the other comments that followed it that used insane troll logic - as well as outright falsehoods - to claim that Wake was somehow at fault and should be held responsible. Even the "we should give them our plans and still beat them 60-0 next year" comment was cracked ... just because Wake was involved in a PR hit for your school does not mean that they were involved in it in any way. Another thing: it isn't as if Wake specifically and only targeted Louisville over this, as if they have some special grudge against Louisville or specifically wanted to besmirch only the Louisville loss. They just went public over ILLEGAL conduct that a disgruntled ex-employee did, and the media and the ACC office did the rest. Wake Forest did not ask the media to run with "Petrino strikes again!" type story lines, nor did they ask the ACC to fine Louisville, nor did they ask Louisville to suspend Galloway. But as guys on Louisville's staff did in fact by their own admission receive the plans - when they could have turned the guy down and reported him to Wake Forest, the NCAA and the ACC and not only thereby avoided the whole mess but gotten good PR out of the deal - Wake is not so much feigning moral superiority as being a legitimately harmed and thoroughly innocent victim in all this. So bashing Wake for all this is like insisting that a guy apologize for using his face to repeatedly batter, strike and injure your first.

One thing is curious: Petrino has had 2 big negative media flare ups since he got to Louisville. The first was over dumping Matt Colburn just before signing day ... who wound up being Wake Forest's leading rusher. (Which isn't saying much but still.) The second was this mess ... against Wake. Maybe the next scandal should be a bit higher up in the college football food chain ... at least N.C. State perhaps?

I don't speak for Shortcreek. I simply pointed out the rumor that the father is considering legal action due to the hits on his son. Never heard of such a thing before.

Colburn wasn't dumped. He was asked to greyshirt. He could have played football at UofL if he wanted to, but would have had to wait a bit. Big difference there.

Understood. But look at the context of the thread that ShortCreek started: "Where is Wake's fine?" and some of the other comments that followed it that used insane troll logic - as well as outright falsehoods - to claim that Wake was somehow at fault and should be held responsible. Even the "we should give them our plans and still beat them 60-0 next year" comment was cracked ... just because Wake was involved in a PR hit for your school does not mean that they were involved in it in any way. Another thing: it isn't as if Wake specifically and only targeted Louisville over this, as if they have some special grudge against Louisville or specifically wanted to besmirch only the Louisville loss. They just went public over ILLEGAL conduct that a disgruntled ex-employee did, and the media and the ACC office did the rest. Wake Forest did not ask the media to run with "Petrino strikes again!" type story lines, nor did they ask the ACC to fine Louisville, nor did they ask Louisville to suspend Galloway. But as guys on Louisville's staff did in fact by their own admission receive the plans - when they could have turned the guy down and reported him to Wake Forest, the NCAA and the ACC and not only thereby avoided the whole mess but gotten good PR out of the deal - Wake is not so much feigning moral superiority as being a legitimately harmed and thoroughly innocent victim in all this. So bashing Wake for all this is like insisting that a guy apologize for using his face to repeatedly batter, strike and injure your first.

One thing is curious: Petrino has had 2 big negative media flare ups since he got to Louisville. The first was over dumping Matt Colburn just before signing day ... who wound up being Wake Forest's leading rusher. (Which isn't saying much but still.) The second was this mess ... against Wake. Maybe the next scandal should be a bit higher up in the college football food chain ... at least N.C. State perhaps?
Are you a frustrated novelist? You've spent the better part of 2000 words regurgitating others words and 'explaining' why your subjective take is more correct than other posters subjective take.

Take your over inflated opinion of yourself and your word salads somewhere else, as they are both boring as hell.

Seriously. This is unbelievable. You want Wake Forest to suffer because of the hit that your school is taking even though Wake Forest had nothing to do with whatever went on between Galloway's staff and Elrod? You actually want Wake Forest to be sued by the QB's father over Elrod's sole and (very likely) illegal actions?

Folks, look. First off, this isn't that big a story. No one cares - including not very many people at Wake Forest - and this story will disappear from the headlines as soon as bowl games that people actually care about - as opposed to contents between mid majors and 6-6 teams played before maybe 15000 "spectators" most of which are tickets either "sold" as part as corporate and civic promotions or "given" away to charity for tax writeoffs - are being played and the sports writers have actual news to talk about.

Second: the only reason why this is a story at all is because Louisville decided to hire Bobby Petrino as coach. A hire that was supported - indeed demanded - by the vast majority of the fans. Well that is the shoe that Louisville wanted to wear so go ahead and wear it. Louisville fans decided that the wins were more important than the extra scrutiny and other negatives associated with hiring a guy with baggage. I am not going to debate whether that was a good decision or not, other than to point out that as Petrino actually does have a pretty good record graduating players and limiting off-the-field problems (indeed a far better one than a lot of coaches who enjoy much better reputations) it makes it a lot easier to build a case for the guy if you choose. But the reality is this: Petrino's reputation is due SOLELY to his own actions. Louisville's increased negative scrutiny is due SOLELY to their decision to hire someone that they KNEW was problematic and come with increased scrutiny. So attacking WAKE FOREST over something that really, truly is all about what Petrino and Louisville decided to do is abdicating personal responsibility for the decisions made by Petrino, the fan base and the Louisville institution.

It isn't as if there weren't other good candidates out there. But you guys wanted a proven winner to accompany your step up in competition from the Big East to the ACC because another Steve Kragthorpe type hire would have been absolutely disastrous, and we all know that someone would have come along and given Petrino another shot soon - as early as the next season - anyway so it might as well be you guys. Again, I am not going to knock or debate the logic. But you guys KNEW that you were buying into everything else that came with it, so why pull nonsense like this? Or the other absolutely idiotic thread that claims that what Tommy Elrod did is no different from an assistant coach changing schools? (Never mind all the former assistants from rivals and opponents that joined Louisville. Only the Louisville coach that was let go for the sake of nepotism - something else that you guys knew came along with Petrino - and goes to help a rival was called into question.)

Seriously. Stop talking about it. Let it blow over. The other stuff that Petrino will pull in the future? Take it in stride. You got your first ever Heisman out of the deal - something that was inconceivable for a program that has 20 historical bowl appearances with 16 since 1998 - and by my estimation from watching you guys this year are a couple more legit players on the interior of both lines from being a legit national title contender (unfortunately it appears from this recruiting class that your blue chippers are still skill players and not linemen, and it is the blue chip linemen that separate guys like Ohio State, Alabama and why not go ahead and say Clemson and the programs on the next tier). It is what you wanted Petrino to bring to you guys, so suck it up and take the extra added criticism that goes with it.
For somebody who wants to stop talking about it...sheesh

.............hire Bobby Petrino as coach. A hire that was supported - indeed demanded - by the vast majority of the fans.

For the record, that's not accurate. The fanbase had a very large contingent that was adamantly opposed to hiring Bobby Petrino because he had jilted us once and lied to us numerous times and we didn't trust him. I was a part of that group.

Of course he had his die-hard supporters, who went on ad nauseum wanting him back from the moment Petrino left for Atlanta. But most of us had our pride.

I'd say over half the fanbase had to be won over by Tom Jurich, and that did happen. But by that time, the hire had already been made.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT