ADVERTISEMENT

What is the situation with RB this year??????

jalovell23

2000+
Jul 8, 2007
Boone County
Louisville adds JUCO RB Harry Trotter

"Running back has become something of a position of need for the Cardinals after losing Brandon Radcliff to graduation, LJ Scott to transfer, and Dae Williams to a (presumably) season-ending ACL tear. A less serious injury to Jeremy Smith left Trey Smith as the only scholarship running back available to play in the spring game last month."

Colin Wilson will need to step up quickly. Could be RB1 to start the season if he beats out the only healthy backs we have in Trey smith and Reggie (who I still think should stick to WR). Let Jeremy and Malik Williams work their way back to full health for weeks 2 and 3 or later. As long as we have a serviceable back we should be fine for the first couple weeks. Clemson in week 3 will be when we need the whole workforce of backs.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
What's the scoop about Wilson? Is he even at school?

From what I have heard, he is taking one or two classes this summer trying to get eligible. If he makes it, he will be on campus near the end of this month. UofL coaches are optimistic that he will be here.

From what I have heard, he is taking one or two classes this summer trying to get eligible. If he makes it, he will be on campus near the end of this month. UofL coaches are optimistic that he will be here.
Thanks Pushup! Running back has me a little worried going into the season. I know we can give Bonnafon some reps but I think he's better suited at WR.

Right now it looks like the best RB option is going to line up under center. Jackson is by far the best at running the football for this UofL team.

Just a gut feeling on my part, but I think Wilson is going to turn a lot of heads this year.

Just a gut feeling on my part, but I think Wilson is going to turn a lot of heads this year.

That is assuming Lamar hands off the ball 50% of the time, passes 40% and runs 10%. If so, he will spread the load and keep everyone on offense focused as a team. If not, he will be running for his life every down.

Go Lamar.

GO CARDS! Win the ACC this year.

Malik injured his hand and he should be good to go. I'd think he and Smith are the two front runners to carry the ball the most. I think they get Reggie on the field in any capacity possible. I'd have him returning KOs, playing WR and lining up in the backfield.

U of L will always try to run the the ball to win. And as long as Lamar is here--and a five-star RB isn't--that will involve him running read-option plays. They did it during the Spring, and it will remain. Fans hoping to see a big change are mistaken IMO...

CBP optimistic that Wilson will be at U of L soon. He's the only guy not on campus yet hopefully finishing summer classes to be eligible this fall. Losing Radcliffe to graduation, Scott to transfer and Dae Williams to season ending injury makes us pretty thin.

U of L will always try to run the the ball to win. And as long as Lamar is here...that will involve him running read-option plays...
Petrino confirmed as much today...

If he doesn't go through any summer workouts and schooling with the team this summer, it will be awfully hard to make a quick impact.

They're also moving Reggie Bonnafon to running back.

Don't be surprised to see Reggie move under center and Lamar move to the slot or wide out on a few plays...Just think about Lamar having single coverage, or being used in a bubble screen situation...OMG!!!

:)

Don't be surprised to see Reggie move under center and Lamar move to the slot or wide out on a few plays...Just think about Lamar having single coverage, or being used in a bubble screen situation...OMG!!!

:)

This will not happen. At some point I'm sure there will be a trick play involving Reggie and LJ but that is it.

This will not happen. At some point I'm sure there will be a trick play involving Reggie and LJ but that is it.
I liked the running back pass reggie through against either Syracuse or UVA a couple of years ago. That was a great play call.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT